USSR invades Ukraine. (5 Viewers)

PVA

Russia claims (so take with a huge pinch of salt I guess) that they have killed 23 British mercenaries fighting for Ukraine.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Russia claims (so take with a huge pinch of salt I guess) that they have killed 23 British mercenaries fighting for Ukraine.
I wonder if they think we'll be scared ?

tisza

Fuel crisis biting here now.
Govt announced yesterday from August 1st any usage of electric and gas above supposed average consumption will be charged at 6.8x for electric and 9x for gas (per unit).
Winter going to be key to how long govts will be able to support Ukraine with public opinion on their side.

shmmeee

Fuel crisis biting here now.
Govt announced yesterday from August 1st any usage of electric and gas above supposed average consumption will be charged at 6.8x for electric and 9x for gas (per unit).
Winter going to be key to how long govts will be able to support Ukraine with public opinion on their side.

This is why Grendels “stop buying Russian fuel immediately” is such a nonsense idea. Public support would vanish overnight and there’d be huge pressure to just let Russia win.

Reactions: PVA

Grendel

This is why Grendels “stop buying Russian fuel immediately” is such a nonsense idea. Public support would vanish overnight and there’d be huge pressure to just let Russia win.

And it’s why in the end Russia won’t be hit as the EU is handing billions over a year to fund the Russia war effort - its the only way he won’t win

shmmeee

And it’s why in the end Russia won’t be hit as the EU is handing billions over a year to fund the Russia war effort - its the only way he won’t win

Except they won’t be. Germany for example is cutting oil and gas off by the end of the year, but to do it immediately with no replacement as you’ve suggested would just lead to a huge public backlash against the war.

Grendel

Except they won’t be. Germany for example is cutting oil and gas off by the end of the year, but to do it immediately with no replacement as you’ve suggested would just lead to a huge public backlash against the war.

It’s plans look flaky and who knows the decision may be taken out of their hands. Are they really saying they are re-opening coal mines?

shmmeee

It’s plans look flaky and who knows the decision may be taken out of their hands. Are they really saying they are re-opening coal mines?

Sadly we’ll probably have to reopen coal. We’ll probably have to frack in Groenegen and anywhere else too. WW3 vs Climate Change is a shit Sophie’s Choice. The part that’s missing for me is a massive renewables investment to show we can do this long term and it’s not short term gesture politics.

There’s talk of the US bringing enough LNG online in four years or so, so hopefully and coal and fracking is relatively short term.

wingy

Anyone think Martin Lewis predicting the extra hike in November is down to a bit of the old profiteering .

Like ooh look here comes the govt money, Let's get on it.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I don't think there would be " pressure to let Russia win" because no one know what that actually means. East Ukraine ? The whole of Ukraine ? Are you talking about victory from a western perspective of Russian ambitions of from Putin's own perspective. One is more obvious than the other .

PVA

1) Surely the stadiums are going to be targeted?
2) If not. Why would they even do this unless the war wasn't that bad then?

This is all a bit bizarre.

1)They appear to be running low on precision missiles. I don’t think they’d waste them on civilian targets, they’ll be saving them for military targets. Plus the older missiles won’t have as much range so they physically may not be able to reach the stadiums even if they wanted to

2)Well in large chunks of Ukraine the war isn’t that bad, they’re totally untouched by it. Obviously it’s absolutely horrific in large parts of it. I haven’t read an article to say which stadiums are being used and how close they are to the front lines though.

shmmeee

1) Surely the stadiums are going to be targeted?
2) If not. Why would they even do this unless the war wasn't that bad then?

This is all a bit bizarre.

I think any attacks on a stadium would be by far the worst PR fuckup for Russia TBF. Football has a knack of being apolitical in that way.

But I’d guess the answer is that In the North and West away from the front line it’s not that bad. Looks like teams near the front line are playing away from home: FC Zorya Luhansk - Wikipedia

Puts moaning about Northampton into perspective.

Last edited:

PVA

Almost 2 months since they were apparently about to steamroller through Donbas and they've made barely any progress:

CCFCSteve

Heard an expert on LBC earlier in the week suggesting that Ukraine will carry on building up/training troops (up to a million) before going on the offensive. I think he was also saying ukraines missiles now have a longer range than Russias*

Let’s hope they can pressure Russia into some kind of end by winter, not just to stop the unnecessary deaths but it’s also going to become very painful for Europe and ourselves in relation to energy/heating, Germany especially, and only going to worsen a likely Europewide recession

Be interesting to see Nordstream 1 announcement today. Europe needs to build up stock

*dont quote me as only had on in background but it sounded positive news

Reactions: PVA

Kieranp96

Heard an expert on LBC earlier in the week suggesting that Ukraine will carry on building up/training troops (up to a million) before going on the offensive. I think he was also saying ukraines missiles now have a longer range than Russias*

Let’s hope they can pressure Russia into some kind of end by winter, not just to stop the unnecessary deaths but it’s also going to become very painful for Europe and ourselves in relation to energy/heating, Germany especially, and only going to worsen a likely Europewide recession

Be interesting to see Nordstream 1 announcement today. Europe needs to build up stock

*dont quote me as only had on in background but it sounded positive news
They will be in the offensive next month especially in Kherson and probably Kharkiv, I don’t think they will try take the Donbas until they have cleared everywhere else and secured it.

shmmeee

They will be in the offensive next month especially in Kherson and probably Kharkiv, I don’t think they will try take the Donbas until they have cleared everywhere else and secured it.

What’s the status of Kharkiv? The maps I’m seeing show Ukrainian held territory all around it, is it still Russian held?

Kherson would be huge if they managed it. I’ve seen talk of going for Crimea as well but how realistic that is I don’t know.

CCFCSteve

Apparently Russia has agreed to let Ukraine resume exporting grain out of the Black Sea. After months of stealing and burning it themselves mind you, but still.

You’d hope that countries like China and India are finally applying pressure behind the scenes. Wouldn’t bet on it but maybe

Kieranp96

What’s the status of Kharkiv? The maps I’m seeing show Ukrainian held territory all around it, is it still Russian held?

Kherson would be huge if they managed it. I’ve seen talk of going for Crimea as well but how realistic that is I don’t know.
Kharkiv is Ukrainian held but the villages to the north close to the border around 25km from Kharkiv are Russian held, they need to free them all and I’m sure they will.

PVA

Kharkiv is Ukraine held

They are definitely planning a counter-attack on Kherson. They have launched some strikes against one of the main bridges out of Kherson to both limit supplies in and limit Russian ability to withdraw.

Kieranp96

Kharkiv is Ukraine held

They are definitely planning a counter-attack on Kherson. They have launched some strikes against one of the main bridges out of Kherson to both limit supplies in and limit Russian ability to withdraw.
The other one is a dam also they won’t blow that up it will kills 1000s and flood everything south of it, but yes khakiv is mostly Ukrainian held but they get smacked with artillery and shit every day because the Russian troops in nearby villages, good information on YouTube tbh

PVA

The hits on Russian supply depots by the artillery systems donated by the West seem to have been incredibly successful. It's a shame they didn't get them sooner, but they've certainly been very effective in halting any Russian progress.

Kieranp96

The hits on Russian supply depots by the artillery systems donated by the West seem to have been incredibly successful. It's a shame they didn't get them sooner, but they've certainly been very effective in halting any Russian progress.
Be awesome if they got the 300km missiles could completely cut off crimera, not only that they could target bridges and roads and well what ever

shmmeee

If the Kherson push works out, I can see Putin faced with a choice of either mobilising the country instead of using ethnic minorities and yokels to fight the war, or beating a hasty retreat. The HIMARS hits to logistics seems to have blunted them with fire rates nothing like they were before the “operational pause”. If they lose the south coast, there’s every chance Crimea will be next and losing that would be very hard to propagandise. Short of something major I don’t see how Russia start to gain territory again.

Kieranp96

If the Kherson push works out, I can see Putin faced with a choice of either mobilising the country instead of using ethnic minorities and yokels to fight the war, or beating a hasty retreat. The HIMARS hits to logistics seems to have blunted them with fire rates nothing like they were before the “operational pause”. If they lose the south coast, there’s every chance Crimea will be next and losing that would be very hard to propagandise. Short of something major I don’t see how Russia start to gain territory again.
Especially when Ukraine are close to having 1 million trained troops, ok not fully trained and in the army but ready to be deployed given phone call.

Users who are viewing this thread