Tyler Walker (2 Viewers)

pusbccfc

I'm afraid that's just bollocks that comes from the stand. You have no idea what a player has been instructed to do and there are plenty of EPL, Champions League and WC winners that would be described as disinterested by fans.

We're not in L2 anymore, hard graft but being shit isn't going to work, we need a bit of class.

But surely in a relegation battle you need hard graft?

Sick Boy

Clearly not what was meant.

We had many good strikers in League One but it was Godden and Biamou that got us promoted. That doesn't make either of those strikers better than McGoldrick or Armstrong.
Biamou got us promoted? How many games did he start in League 1 last season?

pusbccfc

I get everyone's frustrated by defeats, especially the manner of them, but to suggest it's down to a lack of effort is ridiculous. It's a lack of quality, simple as.

Is our side now better on paper than Birmingham or Sheffield Wednesday? Of course not & you could make an argument that after yo yo'ing that Rotherham's is better balanced too so we're still overachieving.

I absolutely agree. That's why until last night I've not complained about our league position and as I mentioned in the match thread, our budget even compared to Middlesbrough is small.

However, what annoyed me last night was the lack of style of play, continuing mistakes and some lethargic/tired effort from some.

Grendel

Doesn’t matter - Twitter highlights I’ve seen now include

Max doesn’t score goals but he’s like Hesket when he created goals for Owen

Max doesn’t score many which is good as in every other part of his game he’s a premier league striker who would be earning millions otherwise

pusbccfc

Wasn't quite what I was saying, but he was our second choice striker last season and we were promoted. I'm sure you'd agree we've had far better second choice strikers in League 1 who have had less impact.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Honestly mate, think for everyone's sanity it's best to just steer clear of this whole topic. Trying to make a vow to not rise to some of the absolutely insane stuff I see written about it. I don't think people will sway their views either way and the debate just gets weirder and weirder with whole new things thrown in for good measure.

Skybluefaz

We've had many, many good strikers who are lightyears ahead of Biamou. Yet it was he who managed to be involved in two promotions. That's because sometimes, a bit of hardwork can get you far. Take Shipley, barely an ounce of talent, but did well last season because of his effort.

Walker could be the best player on the planet, but if he doesn't seem interested, he won't help the team survive. That's the difference between he and Max.

I don't think our side was the best on paper in League One last season but it was well drilled and hard working. We've seen to lose those attributes in recent months.
Nonsense again. Plus Shipley has plenty of talent, that shone through last season when he got himself on the ball. I feel he lacks bravery and belief.

pusbccfc

More clichéd nonsense. You need to win games, you do that by putting your best players on the pitch.

This isn't Mike Bassett.

There's way more to it that just being a good player. Betting would be easy if the team with the best players won every week.

Also, who are these 'best players' who aren't currently playing?

pusbccfc

Nonsense again. Plus Shipley has plenty of talent, that shone through last season when he got himself on the ball. I feel he lacks bravery and belief.

I'd be interested to hear what others say on this.

Agree with the second part, but I wouldn't consider him a talented player at this level.

Liquid Gold

There's way more to it that just being a good player. Betting would be easy if the team with the best players won every week.

Also, who are these 'best players' who aren't currently playing?
It's not about who its and isn't playing it's about people writing off Walker, who may score the goals that keep us up, and lauding Biamou, who has never been a regular goalscorer.

pusbccfc

It's not about who its and isn't playing it's about people writing off Walker, who may score the goals that keep us up, and lauding Biamou, who has never been a regular goalscorer.

Yeah, I don't disagree. Walker is a better player but I'm concerned with what I saw last night.

Anyway, not going to say anything else. Everyone has talked me into thinking Walker is the best thing since sliced bread and Biamou is the worst striker we've had. Have a good evening guys 😉.

ceetee

Why do we have to keep criticising players who we know are not at Championship standard?
Once that fact is established, further criticism directed at the player, is pointless, unless they show no effort.
There comes a time when you just have to accept that.

By most peoples reckoning, Biamou started the season as fourth choice striker. In a normal season he might have made the odd sub appearance late on, or perhaps a start in the Carabao Cup. Circumstances have caused him to be a regular starter. , Gyokores and Bakayoko haven't shown enough, in Mark Robin's opinion, to displace him.

OK, he's above his level but why be so nasty about it.

Walker has shown that he is a good finisher, which is promising, but he's been injured and had Covid, which some people take months to recover from. We don't know yet whether he'll make the standard and it will take time.

As a club we might not have that time but that's another issue.

Terry Gibson's perm

Shipley I would say has talent but nowhere near enough talent for this league and same with a lot of the players.

Frostie

Clearly not what was meant.

We had many good strikers in League One but it was Godden and Biamou that got us promoted. That doesn't make either of those strikers better than McGoldrick or Armstrong.

Biamou barely featured in League One? Played 90mins twice all season & half the time didn't even make the squad. Baka was more heavily involved.

RegiswasGod

Why do we have to keep criticising players who we know are not at Championship standard?
Once that fact is established, further criticism directed at the player, is pointless, unless they show no effort.

By most peoples reckoning, Biamou started the season as fourth choice striker. In a normal season he might have made the odd sub appearance late on, or perhaps a start in the Carabao Cup. Circumstances have caused him to be a regular starter. , Gyokores and Bakayoko haven't shown enough, in Mark Robin's opinion, to displace him.

Walker has shown that he is a good finisher, which is promising, but he's been injured and had Covid, which some people take months to recover from. We don't know yet whether he'll make the standard and it will take time.

Stop talking so much common sense. It's confusing me

fernandopartridge

Biamou barely featured in League One? Played 90mins twice all season & half the time didn't even make the squad. Baka was more heavily involved.
And his contribution in L2 is over stated, he was a sub for a lot of the time in which he'd apparently supported Mcnulty to his 28 goals. When he started he rarely completed 90 minutes.

letsallsingtogether

And his contribution in L2 is over stated, he was a sub for a lot of the time in which he'd apparently supported Mcnulty to his 28 goals. When he started he rarely completed 90 minutes.
And he couldnt score in the play off semi final.

mark82

Ha, what I really meant was that he never anticipates where the ball might land, that instinct to gamble isn't there. Fortunately their defender bundled it in anyway.

Which he wouldn't have done without Max's presence. This whole argument is so fucking dumb. We scored, Max was a huge part of that. Credit where it's due. No-one thinks he's suddenly the second coming of Romario.

mark82

Nice to see a bit of common sense.

stevefloyd

Look we all know that Walker is number one and Max is number two atm so that means Walker is piss and Max is shit...facts don't lie

fatso

Unfortunately there remains a stubborn minority who simply refuse to accept that we have 1 or 2 players who might not be good enough for this division.
Maybe we should create a separate part of the forum for them, so that the rest of us can move on!

mark82

Unfortunately there remains a stubborn minority who simply refuse to accept that we have 1 or 2 players who might not be good enough for this division.
Maybe we should create a separate part of the forum for them, so that the rest of us can move on!

It's more than 1 or 2, but I don't see the need to constantly criticise. I know we think we're massive but we're a newly promoted team with the second lowest budget in the league. We're going to have players not quite at the level, particularly when playing 3rd/4th choice players in some positions. We're no different to Rotherham who came up with us - they'll equally have players not at the level.

SeaSeeEffCee

Just a wild guess. But I’d have thought given Walkers history of COVID and the fact he’s barely played and we have no other strikers, he might just not have been told to run himself into the ground.
nah m8 impossible he's just lazy

Nick

Administrator
People need to look at what type of striker they are, then see if we are playing to their strengths or not.

It's the same when we tried long ball to Connor Chaplin on his own up front or put him central midfield.

For a striker who does well in the box, we need to actually get the ball into the box.

Terry Gibson's perm

Just a wild guess. But I’d have thought given Walkers history of COVID and the fact he’s barely played and we have no other strikers, he might just not have been told to run himself into the ground.

Also all strikers aren’t like Jamie Vardy who buzzes around but seems to have a level of fitness that when he gets the bell he isn’t to tired to score. If Walker gets the winner Saturday he will be a hero, he is a good player who has had a tough start at a new club.

Frostie

People need to look at what type of striker they are, then see if we are playing to their strengths or not.

It's the same when we tried long ball to Connor Chaplin on his own up front or put him central midfield.

For a striker who does well in the box, we need to actually get the ball into the box.

Spot on.

Said it multiple times, a penalty box striker is always going to be less involved than a target man type forward whose job it is to link play. Walker & Biamou started really well together v Middlesbrough but then, when they started to get stronger, there was an inability from both Biamou & our midfield to get the ball in to Walker in decent positions so he was barely in the game. Not his fault, doesn't make him lazy.

Users who are viewing this thread