Tyler Walker deal done??? (4 Viewers)

Gazolba

How many games without scoring are we going to allow him before we write him off as a shit replacement?
A few more than Zuniga.

Great_Expectations

How in terms of game time is Bakayoko young? No side aiming for promotion would have him or biamou near the team. They are miles below the level needed

Bakayoko has a decent number of appearances for us and Walsall, but how many games did he actually start and/or finish? I’m not his biggest fan, but he has shown glimpses of ability. He’s another we didn’t use to his strengths last year. I’m not engaging in debate re Biamou as you’re objectively is non existent.

Your final point is an oxymoron; we’re challenging for promotion and they’re both near our team.

It isn't negativity to point out that in January we had the following strikers at the club: JCH, Chaplin, Biamou, Bakayoko and Hiwula and now we've only got 3 of them.

Biamou has played 125 minutes in his career at this level, and has 9 goals from 54 appearances otherwise (1 in 6), this is not the forward line of promotion challengers.

Bakayoko (1 in 4.5ish goals, worse really as the number of individual games he has scored in is 6).

Hiwula can be relied on to get goals but otherwise who else? Yes, it's a myth that we need a 20 goal striker, but it isn't a myth to say we need more goalscoring potential than we have currently.

Don’t get me wrong, I would love to sign another striker, however as per my post we still have time to sign one. MR has admitted on several occasions his desire to recruit another and confirmed he has active targets in mind. Let’s give those a chance to play out.

Correct, it’s a fact we have less strikers than six months ago, however we only play with one, so the number isn’t as important as the quality. I accept (and pointed out in my post) Biamou is an unknown, even more so after the injury, however he has qualities that are beneficial to the team if he adapts. As you say, it’s idiotic to judge a striker purely on goal stats without taking into account a variety of other factors.

In terms of other goals, I expect the wingers to chip in, along with Allen and potentially Bayliss. A lot will depend on the license the attacking players are given. We created a lot of chances last year but couldn’t finish. Thomas was most guilty of that. One of the new wingers may not have the same issue.

Signing Walker (or a another) would be great and provide even more confidence going into the season. However, until that point our striking options can do a job (the same strikers were part of a team who finished 8th last year) and we have to trust MR will bring another in to strengthen us even more.

higgs

Things will be hunky dorey if we sign walker with his crisp finishing

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

covcity4life

Imagine reading a post, but over the course of it the quality seems to deteriorate and it gets wose an wose, where the swenetence stwucture and gwammer rewerts to a pwoint of uttew non swence, an u jus dont wanna wead it anymwore (o´ω`o) awd twa wol owdewl iws jus awfwul (´・ω・`);. bwt tw powost iwswnwt obwer nyet, it gwos own an own an own an own. uwu wanyaa stwop weadwing bwut uwu cwant stop wewding, uwu stwartd thwis awnd ur gwoing two fwinibsh it nowo mwattew wat! uwu hab mwoxie kwiddowo, bwut uwu wibl gwib ub sowon. i cwan wite wike dis fwor owors, swo dwont cwalengbe mii..
Exaxtly mate

covbromsgrove

It's not rocket science to understand what is happening. MR doesn't want to spend money when he can loan the same player, either Bright or Walker, so the situation is in the players' parent club hands. They want to see what the player can do BEFORE they loan them because they can't recall them until January, so they have to be doubly sure to loan them. Everything will be clearer, or unclearer next few weeks

tomreagan84

To be fair, there are 3 question marks in the title.

Unless that’s just been changed???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MalcSB

Harry
Based on blind faith and he knows where the net is in youth level Harry kane wasn’t the finished article at his age ask Leicester fans
Kane scored 31 senior goals when a year older. I am not convinced Ponticelli will do that. Ever. I would love a local lad to make it, don’t think he will and I just don’t understand the expectation some people have.

harvey098

Harry

Kane scored 31 senior goals when a year older. I am not convinced Ponticelli will do that. Ever. I would love a local lad to make it, don’t think he will and I just don’t understand the expectation some people have.

I also have reservations but how many league games has he actually started for us. I can’t recall one? (Doesn’t mean to say he hasnt)

Tommo1993

Is Robins the third manager we’ve had since Ponticelli has been in and around the first team? And none of them have fancied him. The height of his career here was scoring those two goals away at Crawley in L2.

higgs

Time will tell he needs to kick on now and start scoring and playing regularly

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

fatso

Harry

It’s not so much the expectation around him, it’s just that the questions around him need to be answered, and that can only be done by giving him a run of starts. If he’s given a run, and fails to score or produce assists,, then fair enough, at least we then know the answer.
All people wanted was for him to be given the same opportunity that Chaplin, and McNulty had when they arrived.
I guess he will finally get that this season, all be it not here.

MalcSB

It’s not so much the expectation around him, it’s just that the questions around him need to be answered, and that can only be done by giving him a run of starts. If he’s given a run, and fails to score or produce assists,, then fair enough, at least we then know the answer.
All people wanted was for him to be given the same opportunity that Chaplin, and McNulty had when they arrived.
I guess he will finally get that this season, all be it not here.
Less risk for us that way.

Last edited:

fatso

Less risk for us that way.
The risk is we struggle to score goals with our current shot shy strikers who can’t find the goal with a map and a compass, while he spends the next 5 months smashing the net at Tranmere.
As it stands, with 1 week to go, we have no recognised goal scorer in the entire squad, (apart from Hiwula who’s mainly been played wide)
If we bring someone in, which looks likely, they’ve had little time to settle in, and there’s no guarantee that they will be any better than Ponticelli.
If Hiwula picks up an injury, we are really struggling.

Grendel

The risk is we struggle to score goals with our current shot shy strikers who can’t find the goal with a map and a compass, while he spends the next 5 months smashing the net at Tranmere.
As it stands, with 1 week to go, we have no recognised goal scorer in the entire squad, (apart from Hiwula who’s mainly been played wide)
If we bring someone in, which looks likely, they’ve had little time to settle in, and there’s no guarantee that they will be any better than Ponticelli.
If Hiwula picks up an injury, we are really struggling.

Ponticelli is not good enough

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I agree, 3 managers later and fans still think he's not been given a chance... Without wondering why

Actually Ponticelli didn't get a pro deal until the start of the 2017/18 season. MR was already in charge at that point.

There isn't enough evidence to say whether Ponticelli is good enough at this level. But there isn't enough to say he isn't either. We've had decent strikers in the past who've done well before and after leaving us but for some reason were just never given a chance here.

Grendel

Actually Ponticelli didn't get a pro deal until the start of the 2017/18 season. MR was already in charge at that point.

There isn't enough evidence to say whether Ponticelli is good enough at this level. But there isn't enough to say he isn't either. We've had decent strikers in the past who've done well before and after leaving us but for some reason were just never given a chance here.

He can’t even be considered in the formation we play.

He has no off the ball ability and awareness at all and runs around like someone whose never been trained professionally

Grendel

He’s not much worse than any other strikers we have at the min tbh

He is as the others at least look like footballers - even Biamou get do non striker aspects ok - ponticelli just looks odd

cc84cov

He is as the others at least look like footballers - even Biamou get do non striker aspects ok - ponticelli just looks odd
Agreed he looks likes he’s never been trained though lol just can’t see where the goals are coming from this year

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

He can’t even be considered in the formation we play.

He has no off the ball ability and awareness at all and runs around like someone whose never been trained professionally

Really? In the few sub appearances he made last season he did more closing down and had more efforts that the player he replaced despite only getting 10 mins at a time. And although it's not the same level at youth level he had much better movement than anyone else - arced runs and finding the gaps between the centre backs for through balls (just lacking that bit of pace). And most critically with the ball in the area he gets shots on target.

He's not the finished article but he's got a lot of attributes to work with IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread