Trump is my favourite comedian of the year already (9 Viewers)

David O'Day

The people behind parler aren't savvy enough to really service once it's off the app stores and etc

tisza

The question is should businesses be forced to take work they morally disagree with? And as the gay cake bakers showed, the answer is no.

Parler isn’t banned. There are hosting providers who will ignore their content, the web is open as is the ability to install android apps. No government is blocking their service.

Claiming their freedom of speech of being restricted is like me claiming getting kicked out of a pub for being lairy means my right to buy alcohol is restricted.
Absolutely. But because the Constitution doesn't qualify it some people take Freedom of Speech as a blanket covering. Would be interesting to see how this newly constructed SC views it as it is full of of Justices that have a conservative, literal interpretation of the Constitution.
Amazon taken a stand but big Tech will have an even bigger target on it when the Republicans eventually get back control.
Internet is always going to be an area of conflict when Freedom of Speech and privacy is weighed against other areas considered the common good eg criminality, terrorism.

Brighton Sky Blue

If the right don’t like being kicked off Twitter they have always had the freedom to start their own much less popular platforms. I saw some complaining of the ‘tech bros’ who run the platforms. Well according to you they ‘pulled themselves up by the bootstraps’ and made them, got rich and can do what they want with them.

shmmeee

Absolutely. But because the Constitution doesn't qualify it some people take Freedom of Speech as a blanket covering. Would be interesting to see how this newly constructed SC views it as it is full of of Justices that have a conservative, literal interpretation of the Constitution.
Amazon taken a stand but big Tech will have an even bigger target on it when the Republicans eventually get back control.
Internet is always going to be an area of conflict when Freedom of Speech and privacy is weighed against other areas considered the common good eg criminality, terrorism.

I mean the case law on the first amendment is pretty clear that it doesn’t cover incitement to violence. Similarly, it doesn’t cover private business. They haven’t got a leg to stand on and they know it.

You can tell because their law suit alleges all kinds of conspiracy between Amazon and Twitter they don’t even attempt to prove.

shmmeee

If the right don’t like being kicked off Twitter they have always had the freedom to start their own much less popular platforms. I saw some complaining of the ‘tech bros’ who run the platforms. Well according to you they ‘pulled themselves up by the bootstraps’ and made them, got rich and can do what they want with them.

Funnily enough platforms filled with Nazis and pictures of shit seem to have a hard time attracting advertisers. 🤔

Sky Blue Pete

It’s strange isn’t it

All Trump needs to do is a press conference. Does he have, I don’t know, anyone that works for him that could set something up

Freedom of speech - what an arse

Let’s see how that goes if I stand up as a Muslim and say I want to fight to save democracy and I’m going to put a bomb outside the building and wander round

Mmmmm

SBAndy

Watched a brief documentary about last Thursday’s events on ITV last night, and one thing stood out for me (albeit I know it has been covered before). Trump was just farting out that the “radical left” is behind all of this - what’s radical about Joe Biden ffs? Honestly, it’s mind boggling. You’d think Joseph Stalin has just been elected.

skybluetony176

Watched a brief documentary about last Thursday’s events on ITV last night, and one thing stood out for me (albeit I know it has been covered before). Trump was just farting out that the “radical left” is behind all of this - what’s radical about Joe Biden ffs? Honestly, it’s mind boggling. You’d think Joseph Stalin has just been elected.
The US only does two forms of politics, right and further right.

David O'Day

I mean the case law on the first amendment is pretty clear that it doesn’t cover incitement to violence. Similarly, it doesn’t cover private business. They haven’t got a leg to stand on and they know it.

You can tell because their law suit alleges all kinds of conspiracy between Amazon and Twitter they don’t even attempt to prove.

I'd argue the wording of the 1A makes it very clear it only covers government actors and not private entities.

Sky Blue Pete

Can’t believe the excuses republicans are coming up with to defend the riots. Also can’t believe the double speak from trump and the White House. Oh well it’s fun watching them debate as Rome burns

D

Deleted member 4439

Trump becomes the first US president to be impeached twice
The House has voted to impeach Donald Trump on the charge of incitement of insurrection, after the president incited a violent mob to storm the Capitol last week, resulting in five deaths.
The final vote was 232-197, with 10 House Republicans supporting the measure.
Trump has become the first president in US history to ever be impeached by the House twice.
The matter will now go before the Senate, which will decide whether Trump should be convicted and removed from office.
The trial will likely conclude after Joe Biden takes office anyway, but a conviction would prevent Trump from running for president again.

Grendel

Pretty pointless really

ajsccfc

He loses the pension and secret service lads too, fuck him.

Mad that all this has happened when that poster who's lived there before told us Trump was going to successfully overturn the fraudulent election

David O'Day

No chance of getting through the Senate. Republican senators too scared of Trump voter base.

maybe, but the movement to rid the Republican party of Donald Trump is gaining speed. Even McConnell is wavering, it makes sense of them to do it politically.

Liquid Gold

He's on a hat trick!

I wonder if any republicans will be tempted to back it just based on it barring him from running again. If he can't stand in 4 years he won't be able to tear the party apart, although I'm sure he's just back his daughter or someone.

David O'Day

He loses the pension and secret service lads too, fuck him.

Mad that all this has happened when that poster who's lived there before told us Trump was going to successfully overturn the fraudulent election

anyone seen the fella who was sure Trump was going to win in a landslide? The vote night clowns who couldn't understand how vote counting worked and claim victory based on a few rural counties in PA?

Also I will always regret the chance I had to take Grenners for all he has. The things I could of done with 4 cans of Strongbow and a shed.

David O'Day

He's on a hat trick!

I wonder if any republicans will be tempted to back it just based on it barring him from running again. If he can't stand in 4 years he won't be able to tear the party apart, although I'm sure he's just back his daughter or someone.

That is the possibility

skybluetony176

anyone seen the fella who was sure Trump was going to win in a landslide? The vote night clowns who couldn't understand how vote counting worked and claim victory based on a few rural counties in PA?

Also I will always regret the chance I had to take Grenners for all he has. The things I could of done with 4 cans of Strongbow and a shed.
I saw the bloke who bet ten grand on his victory and is now asking people to pay him for financial advice.

tisza

maybe, but the movement to rid the Republican party of Donald Trump is gaining speed. Even McConnell is wavering, it makes sense of them to do it politically.
He might frighten the party hierarchy but which one is going to risk taking him on?
Any successor is going to need Trump's backing to get ahead within the party. Too many Republican voters like the direction to the right. His levels of support with Republican voters is still remarkably high.
Trump doesn't care how the Republican party does if he isn't in"leading" it.

Liquid Gold

He might frighten the party hierarchy but which one is going to risk taking him on?
Any successor is going to need Trump's backing to get ahead within the party. Too many Republican voters like the direction to the right. His levels of support with Republican voters is still remarkably high.
But as proven in November you need more than high levels of support in the party to win an election. Maybe ones who aren't planning to fight their seat next time round consider doing what's best for the country.

Brighton Sky Blue

Indeed. While Trump did outperform the polling predictions, he needed a miracle of ridiculous proportions to completely defy them. The only question I have is if he really believes his nonsense claims or if he knows they're bullshit but just wants the attention before he's slammed into jail

David O'Day

Murkowski already has broken, McConnell could very well and the NYT has said 10 to 20 more are waiving.

It's a battle for the soul of the Republican party. The republicans are starting to see Trump as a drag that will lose them elections.

Users who are viewing this thread