Trump is my favourite comedian of the year already (4 Viewers)

tisza

I can tell you now it won't. There could be 10k deaths on the 20th and the answer will be more guns.
They found a load of home made bombs last week. They'll probably legalise them.

It's interesting.
Outbreaks of gun violence primarily against the Govt could be a precursor to stricter gun control.
This is a Supreme Court that has held one of the primary functions of the Constitution is to ensure the supremacy of democracy. Armed assaults on that won't go down well. Also a Court recently that has ruled pretty much in line with public opinion. The new appointment of Barrett may though change things.
It's also a Court now faced with a genuine threat of reform in both the number of justices and how they are appointed.

Brighton Sky Blue

It's interesting.
Outbreaks of gun violence primarily against the Govt could be a precursor to stricter gun control.
This is a Supreme Court that has held one of the primary functions of the Constitution is to ensure the supremacy of democracy. Armed assaults on that won't go down well. Also a Court recently that has ruled pretty much in line with public opinion. The new appointment of Barrett may though change things.
It's also a Court now faced with a genuine threat of reform in both the number of justices and how they are appointed.

Problem is second amendment nutters argue for guns because they protect against government tyranny. Which is nonsense, the US has the most obscene military in history, your semi automatic won’t take down a drone or a tank. But they will say it backs up their argument for having them.

The root cause is the NRA buying out the Republicans and getting a block on any restrictions whatsoever.

Brighton Sky Blue

That’s the swamp though isn’t it’s they’re all against the people is the argument. To be fair I have sympathy with that opinion when I look at how self serving our government is

Not saying I want to storm Parliament or I don’t have huge admiration for those who serve the public (they are paid well) for their whole career.

I don’t like seeing war criminals like George W Bush put on a pedestal just because Trump is the worst of all time

tisza

Problem is second amendment nutters argue for guns because they protect against government tyranny. Which is nonsense, the US has the most obscene military in history, your semi automatic won’t take down a drone or a tank. But they will say it backs up their argument for having them.

The root cause is the NRA buying out the Republicans and getting a block on any restrictions whatsoever.
The counter is if the events of the 6th (by a largely unarmed crowd) have generally been labelled an"insurrection" how would armed issues in multiple sites be seen?
Second amendment could be seen as the right to arms for defense , not offense against a democratically elected govt. Supreme Court shown no interest in disputing the legality of the election.

Brighton Sky Blue

The counter is if the events of the 6th (by a largely unarmed crowd) have generally been labelled an"insurrection" how would armed issues in multiple sites be seen?
Second amendment could be seen as the right to arms for defense , not offense against a democratically elected govt. Supreme Court shown no interest in disputing the legality of the election.

You and I know that, but these are people who think there is a conspiracy to deny them Trump

SBT

One Senator inside the Capitol said when she was told to evacuate, she first assumed it was an Iranian attack. Goes to show how messed up some people's fears are when there's literally a mob of right-wing lunatics down the street and you still assume it's the Muslims who are most likely coming to get you.

tisza

Unlucky Don Jr, Eric, Ivanka and Jared

So no-one is really surprised that again it's all about me,me,me,me. Really are like a child's tantrums.
Civil lawsuits are a bitch. Those various sex cases etc. lined up and ready to go as soon as he loses the protection of Office.

fernandopartridge

It's almost 3rd world. This is what wouldn't surprise you in unstable democracies or those where the military is normally involved in the selection of govts.
Indeed, was just going to post similar. America bringing democracy to the third world usually. Do me a favour.

SBAndy

Indeed, was just going to post similar. America bringing democracy to the third world usually. Do me a favour.

I remember when I was a youngster (only talking about 15 years ago) how America was seemingly revered by all. The last 5 years or so has really opened my eyes. A vile country with little morals and a real-life demonstration of why absolute free market capitalism should never arrive on these shores.

Terry_dactyl

I remember when I was a youngster (only talking about 15 years ago) how America was seemingly revered by all. The last 5 years or so has really opened my eyes. A vile country with little morals and a real-life demonstration of why absolute free market capitalism should never arrive on these shores.
I agree with the 2nd part but can’t agree that it’s a vile country.
There are some wonderful places and some wonderful people there.
They have a written constitution (which is more than we have - freedom of speech actually exists over there!) and although it seems to have lost its way, those founding it have given it a go.
Not sure I’d want to live there though.

NorthernWisdom

I see the analogies are being drawn about Goebbels, and repeating the big lie.

Some might say that's OTT, but it's very important, I feel. There's a lot of whatabboutery, a lot of other groups are just as bad, but what this current episode highlights is the need to speak out against liers like Trump, Cruz, Hawley...

It's the duty of people to call out falsehoods, to point out that actually everybody *isn't* just as bad, and there's a very real difference between being called to action because you are being oppressed, and a call to action off the back of a power-crazed deviant narcissist. If impeaching Trump provokes more violence, it will not be because it isn't the right thing to do. The country needs to show that actions have consequences, and the right of people to protest against an enemy of them is not the same as the right of people to openly incite violence and death because they don't like something.

The disgusting way that there are attempts to compare to other groups, to BLM protests, needs to be called out. This is a willed attempt by the so-called leader of the so-called free world to subvert those principles that have everybody as equal. If we cannot accept that this is far beyond protest where a small minority cross the line (and of course they should be punished) then we encourage the continued maginalisation of groups, to the dtriment of a spoiled ego of a man-child who should lose his fortune, on the back of his actions.

There should be consequences.

NorthernWisdom

As an aside, this keeps popping up, and is worth sharing (again)

ErDpKUQW8AAf-uy

tisza

They have a written constitution (which is more than we have - freedom of speech actually exists over there!) and although it seems to have lost its way, those founding it have given it a go.
The problem with their constitution is that it was written for another time.
Much like building a religion on the Ten Commandments. Or other religions basing themselves so firmly on tenets laid down a very long time ago. Everything needs to have some flexibility to move with the times. A document written by "imperfect" people shouldn't be considered inviolate.
2nd amendment was added with the War of Independence still fresh in the memory. They would never have envisioned the "hardware" available citizens have access to now.
The premise of freedom of speech never foresaw the tidal wave of what has come through the Internet and social media in particular. Does it exist when it came be severely curtailed by corporations? Whatever the morality/ethics of Parler are should corporations be able to shut them down?

Brighton Sky Blue

The founding fathers would be disgusted at what the country has turned into. They didn’t intend for it to be an oligarchy acting as the world police and committing crimes all over the place. FDR, Eisenhower and Kennedy being superseded by W Bush and Trump is a huge shame

shmmeee

The problem with their constitution is that it was written for another time.
Much like building a religion on the Ten Commandments. Or other religions basing themselves so firmly on tenets laid down a very long time ago. Everything needs to have some flexibility to move with the times. A document written by "imperfect" people shouldn't be considered inviolate.
2nd amendment was added with the War of Independence still fresh in the memory. They would never have envisioned the "hardware" available citizens have access to now.
The premise of freedom of speech never foresaw the tidal wave of what has come through the Internet and social media in particular. Does it exist when it came be severely curtailed by corporations? Whatever the morality/ethics of Parler are should corporations be able to shut them down?

The question is should businesses be forced to take work they morally disagree with? And as the gay cake bakers showed, the answer is no.

Parler isn’t banned. There are hosting providers who will ignore their content, the web is open as is the ability to install android apps. No government is blocking their service.

Claiming their freedom of speech of being restricted is like me claiming getting kicked out of a pub for being lairy means my right to buy alcohol is restricted.

clint van damme

The question is should businesses be forced to take work they morally disagree with? And as the gay cake bakers showed, the answer is no.

Parler isn’t banned. There are hosting providers who will ignore their content, the web is open as is the ability to install android apps. No government is blocking their service.

Claiming their freedom of speech of being restricted is like me claiming getting kicked out of a pub for being lairy means my right to buy alcohol is restricted.

Parler doesn't allow free speech anyway. It's a myth.
You have to prove your far right credentials first and it censors users just as much as Twitter.

shmmeee

You have to prove your far right credentials first and it censors users just as much as Twitter.

Seems to me that the stuff Trump and co are doing is very much “screaming fire in a crowded theatre” stuff.

While that famous ruling was overturned on appeal, the final ruling on the first amendment still seems to say what they’re doing isn’t protected speech:Brandenburg v. Ohio - Wikipedia

Terry_dactyl

The founding fathers would be disgusted at what the country has turned into. They didn’t intend for it to be an oligarchy acting as the world police and committing crimes all over the place. FDR, Eisenhower and Kennedy being superseded by W Bush and Trump is a huge shame
Yeah as @tisza points out, seems like some flexibility needs to be incorporated and thought about. Especially in relation to the ‘right to bear arms’.
I think I’m right that they also set up clear rules about restricting The influence of religion in state affairs. These seem to have gone out the window a bit with successive Presidents talking about ‘Gods will’ etc to appeal to the huge evangelical voter base. Trump being the most obviously hypocritical of these.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Well, we'll find out soon exactly how much it did censor users...

It's actually an amazing effort instigated by one amateur hacker -

Basically don't say anything in private that you don't mind being public!

Users who are viewing this thread