Transfer Shouts (6 Viewers)

CovLad94

I'm not concerned or worried at all, it's a good squad that'll only improve on last year, get a few players in, not many, ones that add that extra bit of quality and who knows what we can achieve. Ideally if we were to sell Gyok I'd rather it be sooner rather than later to get full use of the transfer window. We have until 1 September so a while to go yet.

KenilworthSkyBlue

All after the start of the season. The guy is hitting the panic button 4 days into the pre-season.

We added them players to a side that wasn’t ready for this league, we have a core now that could look like this

Moore,Dabo,Rose, Hyam, McFadzean, Bidwell, Sheaf, Hamer, O’Hare, Palmer, Gyokeres.

we have options in that we have Godden that can make that a 2 man strike force. We don’t need wholesale transfers, maybe need a couple of squad players.

Are we likely to lose one of them? Yes - but as of yet there’s been no bids. We need a Left wing back maybe and a centre back.

if Hamer or Gyokeres goes - I’m sure the club has a plan.

The difference is that we knew we had at least some finances available for that summer despite Covid and all the challenges that brought due to Sam McCallum being sold 6 months prior, as well as the inevitable sale of Callum Wilson in that window, and the increase in revenue from the Championship TV money for the forthcoming season. Due to Covid and the absence of commercial/ticketing revenue, the division wasn't so erratic with their usual spending habits, ultimately evening the playing field a bit more.

The expectations were also vastly lower from the fanbase.

It's clear when a player is sold that Robins will most likely only receive their wages to reinvest into the squad, which is pretty poor given more Championship clubs are pushing the boat out a bit more, so you can't really blame posters for being less than happy with that prospect when very few managers in the division have to deal with similar roadblocks.

Last edited:

Matt smith

The difference is that we knew we had at least some finances available for that summer despite Covid and all the challenges that brought due to Sam McCallum being sold 6 months prior, as well as the inevitable sale of Callum Wilson in that window, and the increase in revenue from the Championship TV money for the forthcoming season. Due to Covid and the absence of ticketing revenue, every club was also brought down to a more realistic level spending, ultimately evening the playing field a bit more.

It's clear is a player is sold that Robins will most likely only receive their wages to reinvest into the squad, which is pretty poor given more Championship clubs are pushing the boat out a bit more, so you can't really blame posters for being less than happy with that prospect when very few managers in the division have to deal with similar roadblocks.
All fans want is for us to replace our quality players if they get sold, we’re not asking for the world

NortonSkyBlue

The difference is that we knew we had at least some finances available for that summer despite Covid and all the challenges that brought due to Sam McCallum being sold 6 months prior, as well as the inevitable sale of Callum Wilson in that window, and the increase in revenue from the Championship TV money for the forthcoming season. Due to Covid and the absence of commercial/ticketing revenue, every club was also brought down to a more realistic level spending, ultimately evening the playing field a bit more.

It's clear is a player is sold that Robins will most likely only receive their wages to reinvest into the squad, which is pretty poor given more Championship clubs are pushing the boat out a bit more, so you can't really blame posters for being less than happy with that prospect when very few managers in the division have to deal with similar roadblocks.
And if some of them like Derby, Reading, Birmingham had such a road block it would have been prudent.
I get that some are concerned but this time last year Gyo was a uninspired addition to the squad and now he is the main man.

KenilworthSkyBlue

And if some of them like Derby, Reading, Birmingham had such a road block it would have been prudent.
I get that some are concerned but this time last year Gyo was a uninspired addition to the squad and now he is the main man.

Such a ridiculous arguement. A small amount of extra investment in the playing squad doesn't equate to the club plunging itself into crisis.

We're asking for the majority of what the club makes to be kept within the club and reinvested back.

Saddlebrains

What I don't understand is the following.

Last season we got Gyok for 1, Mill, sheaf for 750k

So that's 1.75 million in fees

Season before, Hamer for 1.3, Walker for a reported 1 Mill

So, an average of around £2 Million in Transfer fees seems available to MR in the summer yes?

So when we have record season ticket sales, a much higher average attendance than planned for, a better F+B and rental deal, along with club record merchandise sales, why the fuck are we apparently so skint?

This is the bit that gets me. We've done our bit, everything asked of us all, financially and vocally. About time they did

And this is coming from someone whos actually a SISU advocate since 2017

WGABSOOS

So, an average of around £2 Million in Transfer fees seems available to MR in the summer yes?

So when we have record season ticket sales, a much higher average attendance than planned for, a better F+B and rental deal, along with club record merchandise sales, why the fuck are we apparently so skint?

This is the bit that gets me. We've done our bit, everything asked of us all, financially and vocally. About time they did

Free transfers wages and signing on fees. Contract extensions and increases. Training ground improvements.

stupot07

We still have one of the lowest turnovers in the league. The 2020/21 season we were the fourth lowest in the league with £11.8m per year, above only Blackpool, Peterborough and Hull.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Don’t we also owe the football league money? We loaned off them during Covid.

don’t get me wrong I do want investment, I don’t see why we can’t spend what we usually do, I’m just not hitting the panic button 4 days in, and being depressed for the whole time.

KenilworthSkyBlue

£2.3 EFL loan due in a year I think and £4m losses (largely made up of interest owed to SISU), Ryton pitch improvements, increased contracts for Hamer, O'Hare, Godden, Hyam and Allen - the latter of which have been stated as being unsustainable for the club to pay, instalments on Sheaf and Gyokeres to pay. General club overheads that will be in need of covering also.

Probably the best part of £45k pw going out on Kane, Walker, Dacosta, Hilssner, Kelly and Waghorn - all players in need of moving on.

WGABSOOS

Please explain it to me.

Hamer is being quoted at as somewhere around 8 million. You think someone would offer us more than that for Sheaf?
Creative players get higher bids. Sheaf is more valuable to the team not financially but purely playing wise. Who would you rely on defensively if we are under the cosh? Hamer gets booked every game hardly disciplined. Sheaf performing his job allows hamer the time to create .

mr_monkey

i wont be panicking just yet

However one thing i will say

If we do lose Gyok or Hamer and dont replace at all

We will go down

Like we were sleepwalking to going down last season and the season before you mean 😉

If we lose either of course we will replace them, you have to think of the long game at the moment, we have been a shell of a club for years and are still recovering from that

rexo87

i wont be panicking just yet

However one thing i will say

If we do lose Gyok or Hamer and dont replace at all

We will go down
We wouldn't at all. There's going to be some poor sides this season. Brum Reading Rortherham Wigan are going to be awful. We should absolutely replace anyone we sell but we wouldn't go down unless we sold all of them

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Exactly this is exactly the point. Everyone expects us to sell our best players at some point but the whole 'model' falls apart if you don't replace.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
You're right it definitely does, and it's definitely a worry. That said, and I am not saying that they are this forward thinking by any stretch, but if they didn't reinvest in a possible future saleable asset this window, it could be a business decision to plug a gap, with a free or a loan, as the right player wasn't available and they have one lined up for next summer etc. That would be a very glass half full look at it, and wouldn't expect many fans to accept it, but it would make more sense than overspending on the wrong player this window.

Sky Blue Pete

Good questions and it’s a wait and see. Was palmer free?

NortonSkyBlue

Such a ridiculous arguement. A small amount of extra investment in the playing squad doesn't equate to the club plunging itself into crisis.

We're asking for the majority of what the club makes to be kept within the club and reinvested back.
You know the parameters the manager works to yet you still bitch and moan like anything is going to change.

Grendel

Wage escalation and the ability to maintain the wages - its going to be between £17 - £20 m a year now

Users who are viewing this thread