Totally unacceptable (3 Viewers)

Adge

A game of football and sometimes it comes to this..

eastwoodsdustman

Best bit is the Jacob Rees mogg sound alike at the end. “I don’t really know actually’.
The Manager needs to be nowhere near any football at any level though.

Adge

Unfortunately this is all too common an occurrence nowadays. We recently had a game where an abandonment was the only option after a major brawl where the police were on the scene within 4 minutes. It carried on after the game aswell in the car park. Obviously can’t go into details as it’s an ongoing investigation.
I am not talking about pub/Sunday league football here either-2 academy sides that are FA chartered standard clubs!
Sad sad times indeed when there is a shortage of Referees and this really does not inspire anybody to take up the whistle.🥺

Blind-Faith

As someone who manages a kids team on a Sunday morning, it’s no wonder myself and other managers of the other kids team are always struggling to get refs. Who would want to do it after seeing that??

Adge

Have you heard his explanation? I won't call it an apology as it's anything but 😡
Indeed. Certainly not an apology.
I have no problem trying to explain a decision to anybody who questions it-the trouble is that the person/persons asking will never accept the reasoning, especially if it’s against their team. No point in even asking the question then half the time….

Adge

The Coventry Sunday league are playing 3 leagues out of 6 alternate weekends as there aren’t enough referees.
Yep-keep getting emails from the Coventry RA to ask if we will do a few matches for their leagues. Could do a match 7 days a week at the minute with the amount of leagues struggling for Refs.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yep-keep getting emails from the Coventry RA to ask if we will do a few matches for their leagues. Could do a match 7 days a week at the minute with the amount of leagues struggling for Refs.

Each time I think of retraining I think of getting dog's abuse in a shitty park, pissing down in the rain on a grim Sunday morning. No thanks

Brighton Sky Blue

Me and lad probably will but the BCFA are bloody pathetic

Last time I retrained was in Scotland. Spent more of the training sessions slagging English officials than studying the laws, then offering me games in the middle of nowhere despite knowing I couldn't drive.

Know a guy reffing in and around Leamington at the moment and the shite he gets, it ain't worth it.

Adge

Saturdays was the important stuff. Sundays was a drunken kick about pub game with your mates
Very true. Best to stick to the decent league’s where people are more serious about football (if you get to the level required as a Ref) rather than the Sunday cloggers. Having said that, the above clip is from one league below the conference, a very good semi-professional standard.

Torquay Sky Blue

Very true. Best to stick to the decent league’s where people are more serious about football (if you get to the level required as a Ref) rather than the Sunday cloggers. Having said that, the above clip is from one league below the conference, a very good semi-professional standard.
Unfortunately it's idiots like the under 18 coach above, who see the likes of Warnock and others trudging on to the pitch every week and think it's clever

Frostie

Handles it well. Part of the answer is to change the rules on discussions with the officials.

It starts at the top level I think and it should be just outright banned

Without officials the game can’t take place

It's already banned but when the PL managers & Warnock etc routinely do it without punishment it's no surprise that grassroots coaches etc think it's acceptable.

Although she was within her rights to send the coaches off, I don't blame the ref for not doing so, could have inflamed the situation further. She handled it incredibly well for one so young & still learning the game themselves.

20211018_095137.jpg

Sky Blue Pete

It's already banned but when the PL managers & Warnock etc routinely do it without punishment it's no surprise that grassroots coaches etc think it's acceptable.

Although she was within her rights to send the coaches off, I don't blame the ref for not doing so, could have inflamed the situation further. She handled it incredibly well for one so young & still learning the game themselves.

View attachment 22277
Would love that once or twice in the championship. Red card see you later punk

Adge

View attachment 22277
She was well within her rights to send the coach/manager off (or probably caution them) if she wanted to go by the book. She has handled this the best way though and took stock of the situation by using her man-management and people skills which is sometimes a good approach and a warning that if this happens again that sanctions would be carried out accordingly. Then they can’t say that they hadn’t been told if it carried on. In my experience this USUALLY has the desired affect.
I can’t really say I saw a problem with that incident (apart from them entering the pitch maybe) and the reality is that they were not over the top with it and just wanted clarity on a decision but it doesn’t take 3-4 of them to ask the same question and 1 person would have done.
This is from a person who will defend Refs (as you all know) all the way but the difference between the 2 clips there is clear for all to see.

Last edited:

Evo1883

Handles it well. Part of the answer is to change the rules on discussions with the officials.

It starts at the top level I think and it should be just outright banned

Without officials the game can’t take place

I'm not sure I agree with it being banned , I think it should be more private

Evo1883

Just needs a huge statement from those at the top that it’s not part of football doesn’t it?

Not for me , I believe managers have the right to discuss particular decisions with referees (as grown adults) but like I said maybe at full time in private

Referees are almost never punished for dismal performances , when they should be

Sky Blue Pete

Not for me , I believe managers have the right to discuss particular decisions with referees (as grown adults) but like I said maybe at full time in private

Referees are almost never punished for dismal performances , when they should be
To what end ?

Evo1883

To what end ?

There's absolutely no problem with a manager and referee, especially at the top discussing a decision that they feel is unjust ..

Many refs in football have dire attitudes because of a lack of consequence for their poor decisions .

These decisions can cost teams places in leagues , titles , millions of pounds ..

They need to re evaluate how referees are dealt with after poor performances.. because at the moment they are looked after too much

Frostie

Referees often have managers in to explain or discuss things in either of their rooms & away from public view as it should be.

Approaching a young, 17yr old referee in this manner even if not overly aggressive doesn't sit right with me, it could clearly influence her decision making in the second half.

Punishing referees isn't the answer imo, they are doing their best. I am in agreement that the standard generally isn't great but that's to do with the lack of support they get imo.

Are players punished for dismal performances?

Evo1883

Refs are the only one in the game , that basically have no come back to their behaviour or performance .

It's extraordinarily rare that a ref gets punishment for being absolutely woeful in a match

They are as much a part of the sport as the players

Evo1883

Referees often have managers in to explain or discuss things in either of their rooms & away from public view as it should be.

Approaching a young, 17yr old referee in this manner even if not overly aggressive doesn't sit right with me, it could clearly influence her decision making in the second half.

Punishing referees isn't the answer imo, they are doing their best. I am in agreement that the standard generally isn't great but that's to do with the lack of support they get imo.

Are players punished for dismal performances?

Let's take Chelsea v Barcelona as an example .

What was the punishment for the officials costing Chelsea their place in the next round of the champions league that night ?

Brighton Sky Blue

There's absolutely no problem with a manager and referee, especially at the top discussing a decision that they feel is unjust ..

Many refs in football have dire attitudes because of a lack of consequence for their poor decisions .

These decisions can cost teams places in leagues , titles , millions of pounds ..

They need to re evaluate how referees are dealt with after poor performances.. because at the moment they are looked after too much

I think the late great Clough put it well when he spoke about making split second decisions in grounds with tens of thousands of people trying to influence one way or the other.

Evo1883

I think the late great Clough put it well when he spoke about making split second decisions in grounds with tens of thousands of people trying to influence one way or the other.

I think that's reasonable , but persistent mistakes in matches go completely unpinished and change the courses of matches and teams seasons .. I'm not one of these that feels sorry for referees .. I disagree with managers screaming in their faces on the pitch , and as I said it should be dealt with in a civil manner in private

But there is no retrospective action of any note for their match / season / financial altering performances

Many refs have appalling attitudes and love to put themselves in the limelight

Users who are viewing this thread