Totally unacceptable (1 Viewer)

Frostie

Let's take Chelsea v Barcelona as an example .

What was the punishment for the officials costing Chelsea their place in the next round of the champions league that night ?

The Norwegian ref in 2009?
He never refereed at the top level again & he & his family were subjected to sickening abuse & death threats for honest mistakes which he admitted to.

What punishment did the Chelsea players get for failing to score/conceding a goal vs 10 men?

Evo1883

This was the game, everybody was punished besides the referee who admitted to making SEVERAL poor decisions Screenshot_20211018-141832_Chrome.jpg

Evo1883

He never refereed at the top level again & he & his family were subjected to sickening abuse & death threats for honest mistakes which he admitted to.

What punishment did the Chelsea players get for failing to score/conceding a goal vs 10 men?

Let's be honest, it was the referee that cost Chelsea the game .. which is the point .

Chelsea punishment was they were eliminated from the champions league because of it

Frostie

This was the game, everybody was punished besides the referee who admitted to making SEVERAL poor decisions View attachment 22287

He never refereed at anywhere near that level again.
Is that not punishment enough?

This culture of referees need to accept abuse as part of the game has to stop, it's what leads to this stand offish attitude many understandably have.

Evo1883

And he did , he was refereeing juventus Porto 4 months later and the Norwegian top flight for 4 more years

Evo1883

This culture of referees need to accept abuse as part of the game has to stop, it's what leads to this stand offish attitude many understandably have.
He did though , he wasn't punished

Evo1883

Also I'm stating that if referees would be properly scrutinised and punished by the local associations for persistent poor decisions making then managers have an avenue to go down and maybe it would help the situation.

2 game ban in the division , 3 game , 4 game .. doesnt need to be a fine because its taking their match bonuses away by banning them for very poor performances.

They are as much a part of the sport , I've never understood the protection officials get from punishment

Adge

I think that's reasonable , but persistent mistakes in matches go completely unpinished and change the courses of matches and teams seasons .. I'm not one of these that feels sorry for referees .. I disagree with managers screaming in their faces on the pitch , and as I said it should be dealt with in a civil manner in private

But there is no retrospective action of any note for their match / season / financial altering performances

Many refs have appalling attitudes and love to put themselves in the limelight
I think you’ll find there is. They would be off the games/games the week after as they are continually scrutinised by the hierarchy that would be in the stands.
If it was persistent and they hadn’t reached the required standard they would go down a level-so if a Championship referee they would go to L1.

Frostie

Also I'm stating that if referees would be properly scrutinised and punished by the local associations for persistent poor decisions making then managers have an avenue to go down and maybe it would help the situation.

2 game ban in the division , 3 game , 4 game .. doesnt need to be a fine because its taking their match bonuses away by banning them for very poor performances.

They are as much a part of the sport , I've never understood the protection officials get from punishment

They should be properly supported by the associations too but they're not, hence why they are quitting in their droves & not enough are coming through to replace them.

Adge

Evo1883

I think you’ll find there is. They would be off the games/games the week after as they are continually scrutinised by the hierarchy that would be in the stands.
If it was persistent and they hadn’t reached the required standard they would go down a level-so if a Championship referee they would go to L1.
Rarely applied though is the point

Adge

2 game ban in the division , 3 game , 4 game .. doesnt need to be a fine because its taking their match bonuses away by b

Please define a poor performance?

Evo1883

They should be properly supported by the associations too but they're not, hence why they are quitting in their droves & not enough are coming through to replace them.

I'm sorry I agree they shouldn't be abused on the pitch, but I'm not about to suck up to referees , can't stand many of them especially in English football , they are absolute whoppers .

The match threads every week will show you that

Most are below par standard

Adge

Rarely applied though is the point
If you want an example of consequences in not performing at the required level then search Stuart Atwells ghost goal in the Championship-think it was Bristol City.
This held him back for years before he then was able to get back on the ladder and start climbing his way up again.

Brighton Sky Blue

I think that's reasonable , but persistent mistakes in matches go completely unpinished and change the courses of matches and teams seasons .. I'm not one of these that feels sorry for referees .. I disagree with managers screaming in their faces on the pitch , and as I said it should be dealt with in a civil manner in private

But there is no retrospective action of any note for their match / season / financial altering performances

Many refs have appalling attitudes and love to put themselves in the limelight

I don’t know many at the top level who go seeking attention. Assessors will be at games and if performance is below standard it gets fed back and is reflected in the appointments for the next round of fixtures. Our friend from Saturday had a pretty bad one and he’ll have been debriefed behind closed doors.

Which still doesn’t quite explain how we got that awful ref twice at Luton mind

Frostie

I'm sorry I agree they shouldn't be abused on the pitch, but I'm not about to suck up to referees , can't stand many of them especially in English football , they are absolute whoppers .

Wholly agree with you that the standard isn't good enough, I slate them quite often in match threads etc. but I know of the bigger picture.

We're talking about an honest guy/gal, doing an honest job & making honest mistakes under pressure from thousands of people at a time and receiving death threats for it.

The amount of money awash in the game at the top level should be invested in training, development & support for officials, there's no game without them & with less & less of an uptake now the standard will only decrease further.

Adge

The match threads every week will show you that

Most are below par standard
Are you talking about the match threads with one sided biased supporters? 😁

Evo1883

Wholly agree with you that the standard isn't good enough, I slate them quite often in match threads etc. but I know of the bigger picture.

We're talking about an honest guy/gal, doing an honest job & making honest mistakes under pressure from thousands of people at a time and receiving death threats for it.

The amount of money awash in the game at the top level should be invested in training, development & support for officials, there's no game without them & with less & less of an uptake now the standard will only decrease further.

I don't really disagree with you but the FA are laughable at times too by taking the referees side in almost all appeals too , it doesn't help with a dishonest disingenuous system .. "we know it's wrong but we will back the ref anyway and piss off the clubs on the receiving end even further "

This in itself creates a trust and anger problem

They are basically untouchable in many ways

It has to change

Evo1883

At grass roots level , yes they need more protection .. I'd agree with that.

Not at the top though , they are treated like fine China, protect at all costs

Frostie

I don't really disagree with you but the FA are laughable at times too by taking the referees side in almost all appeals too , it doesn't help with a dishonest disingenuous system .. "we know it's wrong but we will back the ref anyway and piss off the clubs on the receiving end even further "

They are basically untouchable in many ways

It has to change

And to punish them in the way you suggest, what outcome are you hoping for?
The fact is many more will just walk away from refereeing completely & then where would we be? There's already loads of grassroots/non league games being called off due to lack of officials.

Evo1883

The fact is many more will just walk away from refereeing completely & then where would we be? There's already loads of grassroots/non league games being called off due to lack of officials.

Brexit ?
giphy.gif

Evo1883

I dont know mate , refs piss me off , don't think they should be abused , but we can't have them being totally devoid of punishment.

That's where I'm at really

Travs

There's people on here happy to slate referees in the match thread... yet equally happy to condone Godden conning his way to a penalty, decieving the referee against Fulham...

Evo1883

There's people on here happy to slate referees in the match thread... yet equally happy to condone Godden conning his way to a penalty, decieving the referee against Fulham...

Me , yes definitely , but godden was punished for his actions

They could also extend VAR to the championship with the amount of money at stake for a place in the Premier league .. makes sense

Frostie

I dont know mate , refs piss me off , don't think they should be abused , but we can't have them being totally devoid of punishment.

That's where I'm at really

I don't disagree with you, the standard generally isn't good enough but it's a problem with the system rather than individuals & their performances.

SBT

It's extraordinarily rare that a ref gets punishment for being absolutely woeful in a match

The punishment they receive is exactly the same as players who are woeful - they don't get selected for games and eventually drift down the leagues. We don't ban players or dock their wages for being shit (as much as some would like us to).

People need to stop seeing referees as being these monk-like invisible arbiters of justice, and more like just another part of the game - they can be good, they can make mistakes; we can (and should) try to improve their quality. But ultimately, they're human, and that's what makes the game exciting. A refereeing error isn't a conspiracy or a travesty of justice, it's just like a bad pass or a goalkeeper's mistake.

Evo1883

The punishment they receive is exactly the same as players who are woeful - they don't get selected for games and eventually drift down the leagues. We don't ban players or dock their wages for being shit (as much as some would like us to).

People need to stop seeing referees as being these monk-like invisible arbiters of justice, and more like just another part of the game - they can be good, they can make mistakes; we can (and should) try to improve their quality. But ultimately, they're human, and that's what makes the game exciting. A refereeing error isn't a conspiracy or a travesty of justice, it's just like a bad pass or a goalkeeper's mistake.

Just don't agree at all , apart from the abuse part , they shouldn't receive it on the pitch.

Brighton Sky Blue

I will say that advantages seem to have been quite well applied this season, unfortunately as we found out, calling it back after seems inconsistent

Liquid Gold

They should be made to front up to the media and explain themselves and also give a rational explanation for their decisions or admit to their mistakes to fans.

But I don't know how you can attract more decent quality when even at the top level you can earn a better salary working in an office.

Invest in helping them, make them accountable and then you can also sort out the behaviours they have to deal with because at the moment people have no recourse to anything but losing their heads.

Adge

They should be made up to front up to the media? Cue the witch hunt every week if that starts to happen.
Or admit their mistakes to fans? How then do you define they have made a mistake? Because they have interpreted a certain incident differently based on their opinion which differs to biased fans?
I remember recently against Fulham when the officials were lambasted for making a mistake when they awarded an indirect free kick for Vic coming back from an offside position to collect the ball in his own half for which a free kick was awarded.
No doubt you were in the crowd along with 99% of others who ended up with egg on their faces when it was the correct call all along-but hey, we all know that the best Referees are always in the stands even though they don’t know the laws of the game but pretend they do.

Users who are viewing this thread