Totally unacceptable (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

Anyway , the young lady doesn't deserve to be harrased on the pitch.

And neither does the ref in the original clip .

There's better ways to go about it , and that is behind closed doors in a civil manner .

Reactions: COV

SlowerThanPlatt

They should be made up to front up to the media? Cue the witch hunt every week if that starts to happen.
Or admit their mistakes to fans? How then do you define they have made a mistake? Because they have interpreted a certain incident differently based on their opinion which differs to biased fans?
I remember recently against Fulham when the officials were lambasted for making a mistake when they awarded an indirect free kick for Vic coming back from an offside position to collect the ball in his own half for which a free kick was awarded.
No doubt you were in the crowd along with 99% of others who ended up with egg on their faces when it was the correct call all along-but hey, we all know that the best Referees are always in the stands even though they don’t know the laws of the game but pretend they do.

And all the best players ;)

Liquid Gold

They should be made up to front up to the media? Cue the witch hunt every week if that starts to happen.
Or admit their mistakes to fans? How then do you define they have made a mistake? Because they have interpreted a certain incident differently based on their opinion which differs to biased fans?
I remember recently against Fulham when the officials were lambasted for making a mistake when they awarded an indirect free kick for Vic coming back from an offside position to collect the ball in his own half for which a free kick was awarded.
No doubt you were in the crowd along with 99% of others who ended up with egg on their faces when it was the correct call all along-but hey, we all know that the best Referees are always in the stands even though they don’t know the laws of the game but pretend they do.
I've also recently said refs should be paid a lot more and only the captain or players involved in an incident should get to speak to refs and anybody else booked instantly.

Officials in this country are generally appalling quality. A lot of that is to do with not enough quality being enticed to join due to shit conditions and pay but if you're going to give them that then they have to be made accountable for some of the diabolical decisions/non-decisions they do every week.

Liquid Gold

No doubt you were in the crowd along with 99% of others who ended up with egg on their faces when it was the correct call all along
Also, great assumption there, was a correct call as the law is now so as I said to people around me.

Did you criticise the ref for not blowing when Gyo's ankle was tripled in size or was that a perfect decision as they can do no wrong?

JAM See

Going off on a bit of a tangent here...

My partner is a teacher of some thirty years standing. Her experience is that over that timeframe, parents these days are a lot more likely to question her judgement when it comes to how she disciplines her pupils now, than when she first entered the profession.

Might be related, might not.

rob9872

I was in the 99% and quick to acknowledge I was wrong. Even posted another thread saying I was wrong referring to it when asking another question.

I think what irritates many or is certainly my biggest criticism, is that refs are rarely held accountable or own up when they do make errors. I think largely that's down to the FA or EFL not allowing them to front up, but managers and players do straight after and I think refs would be seem as more human and get more respect if they came out and said why they gave certain decisions, even if they ultimately proved inaccurate in the fullness of time and apologised or took more than a token game at a lower level. Promotion and relegation rather than a closed shop would also help.

Adge

Also, great assumption there, was a correct call as the law is now so as I said to people around me.

Did you criticise the ref for not blowing when Gyo's ankle was tripled in size or was that a perfect decision as they can do no wrong?
I thought it was a penalty as it was just in front of us. The referee was nearer than most of us and his opinion was that it wasn’t a penalty. Not much we can do 🤔

Liquid Gold

I thought it was a penalty as it was just in front of us. The referee was nearer than most of us and his opinion was that it wasn’t a penalty. Not much we can do 🤔
That's my point.

There is nothing anybody can do, managers get banned for saying anything, fans are ignored and they don't have to explain themselves to the media.

They deserve more protection, better pay and better conditions but until they need to sort out the catastrophic errors they make.

Adge

That's my point.

There is nothing anybody can do, managers get banned for saying anything, fans are ignored and they don't have to explain themselves to the media.

They deserve more protection, better pay and better conditions but until they need to sort out the catastrophic errors they make.
I’m not sure pay and conditions etc can make an opinion better? The majority of decisions that get talked after a match about are opinion based and not fact.

Liquid Gold

I’m not sure pay and conditions etc can make an opinion better? The majority of decisions that get talked after a match about are opinion based and not fact.
Gyokeres' ankle is a fact.

You don't pay judges £20 an hour and when they get something wrong say "oh well, they're doing their best".

Adge

Yes-he got kicked in the ankle-a fact as you put it according to some pictures doing the rounds that we have all seen. Not really sure why bringing up his ankle is leverage regarding the referees opinion that it wasn’t a penalty.
The referees is not going to stop, look at Vics ankle, see if it’s swollen and then change his mind and give the penalty.
What’s to say he didn’t get a whack on the ankle first half or during another part of the game?

SlowerThanPlatt

Yes it would better pay/support means more young people wanting to become referees and in theory better quality

Liquid Gold

Yes-he got kicked in the ankle-a fact as you put it according to some pictures doing the rounds that we have all seen. Not really sure why bringing up his ankle is leverage regarding the referees opinion that it wasn’t a penalty.
The referees is not going to stop, look at Vics ankle, see if it’s swollen and then change his mind and give the penalty.
What’s to say he didn’t get a whack on the ankle first half or during another part of the game?
it means that his opinion that it was a penalty was wrong and the outcome of a game that could have hundreds of millions of pounds riding on it come the end of the season has possibly been adjusted.

If you pay them better, train them more, protect them on the pitch but make them face the consequences for their actions afterwards to be replaced by the other hundreds of refs you've attracted to the system with good pay and conditions then you start to see quality rising instead of just having to take what we're given.

Godden won a penalty that he shouldn't have been given - 2 game ban. The ref doesn't give a stonewall - nothing.

I know you're a ref so you'll just defend them no matter what but what I'm proposing is actually making their lives better, taking the abuse they receive away and giving them a better working environment with better pay and better conditions but because they have to be held accountable for that you don't want to know. We'll instead just carry on as we are where everybody just thinks refs are cunts and nobody wants to take it up because it isn't worth being smacked round the head in a park for. The whole system needs reforming.

Sky Blue Pete

it means that his opinion that it was a penalty was wrong and the outcome of a game that could have hundreds of millions of pounds riding on it come the end of the season has possibly been adjusted.

If you pay them better, train them more, protect them on the pitch but make them face the consequences for their actions afterwards to be replaced by the other hundreds of refs you've attracted to the system with good pay and conditions then you start to see quality rising instead of just having to take what we're given.

Godden won a penalty that he shouldn't have been given - 2 game ban. The ref doesn't give a stonewall - nothing.

I know you're a ref so you'll just defend them no matter what but what I'm proposing is actually making their lives better, taking the abuse they receive away and giving them a better working environment with better pay and better conditions but because they have to be held accountable for that you don't want to know. We'll instead just carry on as we are where everybody just thinks refs are cunts and nobody wants to take it up because it isn't worth being smacked round the head in a park for. The whole system needs reforming.
Adge is happy for accountability. Id disagree that most of the decisions we discuss are opinion. I think most are fact and most of the time the officials have got them correct and the rump of fans and most players aren’t aware of the laws of the game. Where it is opinion it can be reflective not of the subjective nature of decision making but as much the position of the referee and their assistant and that is something that can be improved by an official. Yok could have played the situation better and made it easier for the ref. He’ll learn from that too and will have earned points by trying to stay on his feet

Adge

In theory I like the idea. The trouble being with biased fans (whoever they support) is that explaining decisions directly after the game to the media, with the explanations/answers given, 99% of the time people would still be disagreeing with them anyway as the decision was against their team 🤔

Brighton Sky Blue

Adge is happy for accountability. Id disagree that most of the decisions we discuss are opinion. I think most are fact and most of the time the officials have got them correct and the rump of fans and most players aren’t aware of the laws of the game. Where it is opinion it can be reflective not of the subjective nature of decision making but as much the position of the referee and their assistant and that is something that can be improved by an official. Yok could have played the situation better and made it easier for the ref. He’ll learn from that too and will have earned points by trying to stay on his feet

He probably thought he had a better chance of scoring staying on his feet, perhaps a bit of Godden’s ban in his mind too. But the net result is we’ll have them both missing today and officials have let’s say not been helpful in either case.

SlowerThanPlatt

In theory I like the idea. The trouble being with biased fans (whoever they support) is that explaining decisions directly after the game to the media, with the explanations/answers given, 99% of the time people would still be disagreeing with them anyway as the decision was against their team 🤔

Absolute nonsense. You said this about Godden’s dive too “everybody” was saying it wasn’t a dive. The vast majority said it was and accepted the punishment - the issue was with it not being applied for every case

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

It depends if it’s a a glaring error or not for me - ultimately a lot of decisions are subjective. Of course you get proper howlers:
- us v luton for instance. They’re usually punished with a demotion.

but given it’s a contact game decisions like the Gyokeres incident happen. Fucking frustrating like, but ultimately you’ve got to give the ref the benefit of the doubt - whilst it’s a penalty all day to us, there’s probably others out there who probably think he was hardly touched.

there’s assessors at every game, refs are relegated and promoted every season. Unfortunately the lower you go down the worse the refs are…

the best ref performance I saw was our last championship relegation season, Clattenburg reffed us v Forest and got pretty much decision even in my biased mind right. We lost 2-0

David O'Day

What would a ref have to do to get adge to be critical of them?

Refs should have to front up for the decisions they make as there is no come back for them.

Brighton Sky Blue

It depends if it’s a a glaring error or not for me - ultimately a lot of decisions are subjective. Of course you get proper howlers:
- us v luton for instance. They’re usually punished with a demotion.

but given it’s a contact game decisions like the Gyokeres incident happen. Fucking frustrating like, but ultimately you’ve got to give the ref the benefit of the doubt - whilst it’s a penalty all day to us, there’s probably others out there who probably think he was hardly touched.

there’s assessors at every game, refs are relegated and promoted every season. Unfortunately the lower you go down the worse the refs are…

the best ref performance I saw was our last championship relegation season, Clattenburg reffed us v Forest and got pretty much decision even in my biased mind right. We lost 2-0

Darren Drysdale at Notts County for me

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

It's absolutely tragic. The FA, or the relevant powers that be, need to step in and make substantial changes to the culture of how referees are viewed or it will have catastrophic consequences on youth team and grass roots football. Every week my Dad will say 'Another shit ref' regardless of their quality. He thinks that, despite his obvious bias, he has a better understanding of the laws of the game from 60 yards away than a fully trained professional. It all adds to the underlying issue of thinking abusing refs is fine, when they are fundamental to the game we love. That isn't to say I think refs are perfect by any stretch, they're not. They will make mistakes, it's only natural as its human error. We're in danger of driving out something that is essential to the game actually taking place.

The other thing it does, is drive us towards more use of VAR, for which I think is hugely damaging to the whole football experience. I was sat with an Arsenal fan when they equalised v Palace and he basically didn't celebrate a last minute equaliser for a minute or so until it was deemed okay by VAR. That isn't why I love football. Referees will make decisions we don't agree with. They always have done. They are impartial and much likely to be rational than a fan of a team. They also don't get to view something on replays six times over to understand how you can now see minimal contact to deem it an 'obvious' foul. They ALSO make absolutely clangers, for which they should be punished. These aren't mutually exclusive takes. Inept refereeing should be punished. Fans need to also grow up and realise that not every referee is determined to give decisions against you and that their 'horrific' decision is actually borderline.

lifeskyblue

It's absolutely tragic. The FA, or the relevant powers that be, need to step in and make substantial changes to the culture of how referees are viewed or it will have catastrophic consequences on youth team and grass roots football. Every week my Dad will say 'Another shit ref' regardless of their quality. He thinks that, despite his obvious bias, he has a better understanding of the laws of the game from 60 yards away than a fully trained professional. It all adds to the underlying issue of thinking abusing refs is fine, when they are fundamental to the game we love. That isn't to say I think refs are perfect by any stretch, they're not. They will make mistakes, it's only natural as its human error. We're in danger of driving out something that is essential to the game actually taking place.

The other thing it does, is drive us towards more use of VAR, for which I think is hugely damaging to the whole football experience. I was sat with an Arsenal fan when they equalised v Palace and he basically didn't celebrate a last minute equaliser for a minute or so until it was deemed okay by VAR. That isn't why I love football. Referees will make decisions we don't agree with. They always have done. They are impartial and much likely to be rational than a fan of a team. They also don't get to view something on replays six times over to understand how you can now see minimal contact to deem it an 'obvious' foul. They ALSO make absolutely clangers, for which they should be punished. These aren't mutually exclusive takes. Inept refereeing should be punished. Fans need to also grow up and realise that not every referee is determined to give decisions against you and that their 'horrific' decision is actually borderline.

Absolutely. Refs get it wrong at times but don’t ‘cheat’ like the players who appeal for a throw even when they know they had the last touch, who slyly tug a shirt blind side of ref, who go down without a touch (like Godden) and then don’t own up to the ref. Who go down as if they were shot , get the game stopped only to jump up as soon as the flow of the game interrupted. And worst of all surrounding, intimidating refs for every decision trying to get in refs head.
I’m the first to moan at a ref in the heat of the moment …and like every fan perceive refs to be inherently biased against my team but when the game is over and a more rational view is possible I find it is rarely the ref I blame for ‘spoiling’ a game, or for a poor performance by CCFC.
In the Fulham game I felt the FA correct in punishing Godden but woefully inadequate in giving a retrospective punishment for the petulant, aggressive and totally unacceptable behaviour from Their player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adge

And the sad thing is that the statistics are there and available for everyone to see. Lets not forget that these are the ones we know about as often some are “forgotten about” or not reported.
Hardly an endorsement for anybody who’s thinking of taking up the whistle. 😑

Sky Blue Pete

Guess what the punishment was for the player in the first clip of that thread?

Lifetime ban & locked up for assault is what you'd think right?

Nope, 5 year ban & a caution.
Ridiculous.
And I bet the ref finished the game. Proper assistant refs so it’s not a parks level game. Madness

Gint11

The Coventry Sunday league are playing 3 leagues out of 6 alternate weekends as there aren’t enough referees.

I played Coventry Sunday league for 20 years and I could write a book on things I’ve seen. Wouldn’t want to be a ref

hill83

It's the culture in football.

"The referees a wanker" etc we are brought up on it. It's one of the first chants I remember as a 6 year old.

The ball went out on the goal line against Derby the other week and the lino gave the goal kick. Of course everyone of us behind the goal with a worse view knew better.

hill83

Every week my Dad will say 'Another shit ref' regardless of their quality. He thinks that, despite his obvious bias, he has a better understanding of the laws of the game from 60 yards away than a fully trained professional.

This sort of thing really pisses me off and you see it on here all the time as well. During the game, 60 yards away whilst tippy tappying on the phone moaning on here. It's an incredible skill.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Who was the ref who sent off Dublin “to make a name for himself” - was it Mike Reilly? He deserved the wanker shouts.

That being said - grassroots is stupid. Really is, no need to get that angry on a Sunday kick about

Hutch11

You'd think the over 50s would know better but a game in our league was abandoned because some pleb threatened the ref
They need better protection but we need to be better towards them

Adge

This from Worcestershire Fa and it’s just about half way through the season.
Can’t go into detail but we were involved in one of the matches in the article.

For anyone brave enough-

Users who are viewing this thread