Tonight’s games (2 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

That's a massive overreaction and a bit silly.

All I've said is that I have some concerns. We've drawn a lot of games we should be winning, in my opinion.

Agree on that, I think the home games vs Huddersfield, Birmingham and Luton are 3 in which I wish we'd have gone for it in at least one of them.

Tartan Specials

That's exactly what worries me.

The teams below us have strengthened and are starting to find form, we are just sort of treading water.

I'm incredibly nervous about tomorrow and even more about the games following. Obviously I hope I am wrong, but I think we are in genuine danger, almost sleepwalking into it.
Who is finding form though? I can't recall anyone near us going on a nine or ten game unbeaten run or suchlike. This league is mad and there will be points dropped all over the place by everyone.

steve cooper

Without checking, I would say that most or even all teams are suffering with injuries, and fatigue from this congested season, this is throwing results haywire.

Add to that there are quite a few substandard teams in terms of the normal Championship level, due to lack of funds.
There is plenty of opportunity for the lower teams to collect points off the high number of poor teams around them, or higher teams in poor form due to the above.

This could well result in a quite high points haul to stay up this season, maybe even more that 50, we are capable of at least mid 50's or even higher given the circumstances. We have strengthened and have key players coming back.

clint van damme

That's a massive overreaction and a bit silly.

All I've said is that I have some concerns. We've drawn a lot of games we should be winning, in my opinion.

but several of the teams around us have drawn a similar amount, those that have drawn less have also lost more.

This is what's so frustrating about these types of thread, people offer no logical explanation as to why they think we're in trouble and then offer an equally illogical but totally different set of criteria to conclude that everyone around us is going to start picking up points and over taking us.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

but several of the teams around us have drawn a similar amount, those that have drawn less have also lost more.

This is what's so frustrating about these types of thread, people offer no logical explanation as to why they think we're in trouble and then offer an equally illogical but totally different set of criteria to conclude that everyone around us is going to start picking up points and over taking us.

I'm not saying we are going to finish bottom of the league, I am just saying I think we are closer to getting pulled in than people think.

Derby and Forest have been doing better, they have also both strengthened their squads. We have been getting a lot of draws against teams I think we should have beaten which I am hoping doesn't cost us. Our ability to win games is a bit questionable, and it makes me nervous that the management are so inactive during matches as well.

With some difficult games to come I am hoping we don't end up in the mire, but I think we need to be aware of it.

clint van damme

I'm not saying we are going to finish bottom of the league, I am just saying I think we are closer to getting pulled in than people think.

Derby and Forest have been doing better, they have also both strengthened their squads. We have been getting a lot of draws against teams I think we should have beaten which I am hoping doesn't cost us. Our ability to win games is a bit questionable, and it makes me nervous that the management are so inactive during matches as well.

With some difficult games to come I am hoping we don't end up in the mire, but I think we need to be aware of it.

I think it's inevitable our position will deteriorate during Feb, but then we have a run of more winnable games as we did earlier in the season when we went 9 unbeaten and we should have enough to get the points we need from those games.
As I keep saying, we did enough first half of the season ,we just need to replicate that.

Londonccfcfan

Agree on that, I think the home games vs Huddersfield, Birmingham and Luton are 3 in which I wish we'd have gone for it in at least one of them.

Also we can look at at it positively and say that's 3 points in total there. Without them we wouldn't be sitting as pretty as we are.

Over the whole season so far we havnt panicked after a bad result or couple of results.

We have bounced back strongly with a win.

I don't see any reason to panic in February if we get a bad couple of results. Even in some of the games we have lost the actual performance levels havnt been bad at all.

We are playing a good brand of football which makes me proud at a step/level up from last year.

Win tonight and we sit very pretty indeed.

matesx

Very tough February ahead....

Coventry City v Watford

Cardiff City v Coventry City

Coventry City
v Norwich City

Coventry City v Brentford

Swansea City v Coventry City

Blackburn Rovers v Coventry City

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Very tough February ahead....

Coventry City v Watford

Cardiff City v Coventry City

Coventry City
v Norwich City

Coventry City v Brentford

Swansea City v Coventry City

Blackburn Rovers v Coventry City

It makes you wonder if settling for draws against significantly weaker opposition than those was a good idea or not. I'm not too worried about Cardiff, but some of the others could be hard. Blackburn have a ridiculously good squad, but a pretty inept manager.

clint van damme

It makes you wonder if settling for draws against significantly weaker opposition than those was a good idea or not. I'm not too worried about Cardiff, but some of the others could be hard. Blackburn have a ridiculously good squad, but a pretty inept manager.

it will be hard, that's a tough run.
And there's no doubt we're in a relegation battle but we only need to be better tan 3 other teams and i think we will be.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

it will be hard, that's a tough run.
And there's no doubt we're in a relegation battle but we only need to be better tan 3 other teams and i think we will be.

Yes, I think that's right. I can see one of the teams above us getting dragged in.

I would say Wycombe, Wenesday, Rotherham for the drop, but certainly the latter two can stay up if they hit a bit of form. Going to be interesting.

SeaSeeEffCee

It'll go right down to the wire. I couldn't call it right now tbh. Overall I've not been impressed at all with the quality of the league, a lot of very poor teams and very few standouts.

Frostie

It'll go right down to the wire. I couldn't call it right now tbh. Overall I've not been impressed at all with the quality of the league, a lot of very poor teams and very few standouts.

I've said it on another thread before but yes, totally agree, the standard of the league as a whole has taken a nosedive this year which is surely down to it's condensed nature.

Not great from an entertainment point of view but, selfishly has probably worked out ok for us.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Totally agree. That is part of my frustration in a way.

There is almost an element of being starstruck I think. I'm looking at games where beforehand people are breaking your arm for a draw, but as you watch it unfold you think to yourself how manageable it would be to beat that particular team. I just hope it doesn't cost us, because whilst I think we have been more competitive than a lot of others, the way we approach games or seek to change them is my biggest concern.

Like tonight, I could give several different predictions based on the team and formation we put out.

Reactions: AOM

Sky Blue Pete

Totally agree. That is part of my frustration in a way.

There is almost an element of being starstruck I think. I'm looking at games where beforehand people are breaking your arm for a draw, but as you watch it unfold you think to yourself how manageable it would be to beat that particular team. I just hope it doesn't cost us, because whilst I think we have been more competitive than a lot of others, the way we approach games or seek to change them is my biggest concern.

Like tonight, I could give several different predictions based on the team and formation we put out.
Go on then matey

Sky Blue Pete

I'll have a stab

We set up the wrong way - and we'll lose

We set up an okay ish way - we'll draw

We set up in a positive way - we'll win

All with hindsight, of course..............and I'll bet you, I'm right
Bout right. Can you imagine

set up to win lose
Set up to draw lose
Set up to lose win

It’s all madness

Robins sets up his team not to lose. He’s done it for almost his whole time here

This also means he’s loathed to make changes when drawing

This is our team and our manager

Thinking he’ll change massively is crazy. He thinks this is the best way to succeed and based on the last 3 years who would argue

Sky Blue Harry H

set up to win lose
Set up to draw lose
Set up to lose win

It’s all madness

Robins sets up his team not to lose. He’s done it for almost his whole time here

Thinking he’ll change massively is crazy. He thinks this is the best way to succeed and based on the last 3 years who would argue

I don't mind a pragmatic approach - this season, in particular, and providing we stay up, we will then be able to strengthen the squad, Where we would then be, next season, will be fantastic, compared to where we were back in League 2, just 3 seasons ago, also playing 46 games away from home for 2 of those seasons. Incredible achievement in my eyes.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

set up to win lose
Set up to draw lose
Set up to lose win

It’s all madness

The aims this season are completely different from the ones of previous years.

I imagine he will be extra conservative tonight, it is a must 'not lose' game. Whether that means he will do something if we go 1-0 down remains to be seen.

Liquid Gold

I think it’s fair to say we’ve been overly cautious in a couple of games that we could have got more from. Saturday being a perfect example. Brum are a poor team but the last third of the game we had no intention of winning it.

Reactions: AOM

Brighton Sky Blue

The aims this season are completely different from the ones of previous years.

I imagine he will be extra conservative tonight, it is a must 'not lose' game. Whether that means he will do something if we go 1-0 down remains to be seen.

We conceded a stupid goal on Saturday which forced us to come out and play. It’s a cliche but the first goal matters so much in our games it seems

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

We conceded a stupid goal on Saturday which forced us to come out and play. It’s a cliche but the first goal matters so much in our games it seems

Yes, and I felt at 1-1 we could have kicked on and got a second. Instead Robins brought Shipley on and we were treading water for the rest of the game.

Sky Blue Pete

You never see what didn’t happen though so it’s all assumption. The two times he changed things to open things up were against Bristol City and Notts Forest both of which we conceded late goals to lose the game

Sky Blue Pete

Ultimately there may be a limit that our current management set up and current owners can progress us but we’re far from seeing what that is for me

Colin Steins Smile

You never see what didn’t happen though so it’s all assumption. The two times he changed things to open things up were against Bristol City and Notts Forest both of which we conceded late goals to lose the game
The late goal against Forest still irritates me - even now.
One other thing to consider is the state of fitness of some of the substitutes, as it's already been stated that we've had players on the bench that are not anywhere near fit enough to start a match. Therefore, MR has to be very careful who and when he introduces them.

Brighton Sky Blue

We only lost Forest because Max was an idiot at the end

shmmeee

Ultimately there may be a limit that our current management set up and current owners can progress us but we’re far from seeing what that is for me

Definitely. Next season with fans behind them, a proper pre season in comparison to other teams, and a years experience in the division well be another step forward even if we don’t improve the squad, which I reckon we still will.

Brighton Sky Blue

Definitely. Next season with fans behind them, a proper pre season in comparison to other teams, and a years experience in the division well be another step forward even if we don’t improve the squad, which I reckon we still will.

Yeah agree with that. Would make such a difference to be at the Ricoh for that

covcity4life

Significantly weaker opposition lol

If thats case what are you worried about? Significantly weaker teams will get relegated not us.

Users who are viewing this thread