Tonight’s games (2 Viewers)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Significantly weaker opposition lol

If thats case what are you worried about? Significantly weaker teams will get relegated not us.

I'm inferring that Birmingham are significantly weaker than Brentford, for example.

Wouldn't you agree, or do you think Birmingham are better?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Guess 3 years of relative success obscures perspective

In some cases, but I have been pretty consistent with what I have said.

Staying up this season is the aim, but if we don't achieve it I don't think it will be down to simplistic of budget or first season syndrome. Looking at the opposition we have played, we can compete. If anything I wish we had a bit more belief.

Brighton Sky Blue

Staying up this season is the aim, but if we don't achieve it I don't think it will be down to simplistic of budget or first season syndrome. Looking at the opposition we have played, we can compete. If anything I wish we had a bit more belief.

I agree on the latter points but our injury problems have been enormous and mostly freakish

Sky Blue Pete

I suppose my question would be. What do you mean by belief? Practically?

People have been clamouring for 2 up front or 4 at the back or 5 at the back or hamer further forward or no shipley

For you what does playing with more belief mean and what difference do you think it would make?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'm all with the fans being in if for no reason than the budget but it can go either way.

It can spur a team on to play better (esp towards the end if you're chasing a winner/equaliser) but it can also cause the team to 'freeze' and feel the pressure because they can get the dissatisfied vibes off the stands if things aren't going well. Many of our worst performances/results are on days I remember us getting big crowds. Last year we won the league with tiny crowds at St Andrews compared to at the Ricoh. We had a half decent season in exile in Northampton.

The fact we've still got a disparity in home and away results despite crowds being absent suggests to me there is only a minor causality there and the main cause is familiarity/routine at home games allowing them to approach the game more calmly than the opponents. (This is purely hypothesis - I've got no statistically relevant empirical data to back it up).

rexo87

We don't settle for anything. Play same vs best teams or worst. Sometimes we have drawn wheb coukd have won but we have also drawn when coukd have lost.

We're having a great season not sure why some fans cannot see that

Agree with this. I think it’s often a case that our opponents (Brum that other day) just get better as the game goes on. Sometimes when a side has momentum you have to sit in and soak up the pressure which is what we did the other day. I don’t think it was a case of settling for the draw at all. Our best chance of winning that game towards the end was on the counter attack which is what we almost managed a few times in the last 20 mins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Agree with this. I think it’s often a case that our opponents (Brum that other day) just get better as the game goes on. Sometimes when a side has momentum you have to sit in and soak up the pressure which is what we did the other day. I don’t think it was a case of settling for the draw at all. Our best chance of winning that game towards the end was on the counter attack which is what we almost managed a few times in the last 20 mins

Obviously I mean this as respectfully as possible, but I completely disagree with nearly all of that.

The one and only substitution we made weakened us significantly. Birmingham made how many changes exactly? The game was at 1-1, and the momentum was with us. We sacrificed that. On the one hand Robins was moaning about squad depth and players having to play so much, but then on the other he was refusing to do anything but settle for a draw. It was a bit of a silly comment and I wouldn't be the first fan to question his substitutions. For what is a very good manager, it is a really weak side of his game.

I was disappointed, because whilst on paper you may be happy with a draw, watching the game you could see that they really weren't very good at all.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

People have been clamouring for 2 up front or 4 at the back or 5 at the back or hamer further forward or no shipley

For you what does playing with more belief mean and what difference do you think it would make?

They are fair questions.

I think that it comes down to how we approach the games, or how we approach the changes that happen in games. I know for a while we were leaking goals left, right, and centre. For that reason I agree it was the right thing to do to shut up shop a little bit to deal with that. However, since then (barring a ridiculous amount of injuries), we have looked increasingly more competitive.

As I said above, a draw against Birmingham might be seen as a good result, but I actually think we are capable of better than that. I'm not suggesting we are top ten material or anything, but I think we could comfortably survive if we were a bit more ruthless with our tactics now. I put the high rate of conceding goals earlier in the season down to rustiness more than anything and I would like to see us take a few more risks to beat some of the shitter teams in the division.

We're only about six or so wins of safety I would say, that is achievable.

rexo87

Obviously I mean this as respectfully as possible, but I completely disagree with nearly all of that.

The one and only substitution we made weakened us significantly. Birmingham made how many changes exactly? The game was at 1-1, and the momentum was with us. We sacrificed that. On the one hand Robins was moaning about squad depth and players having to play so much, but then on the other he was refusing to do anything but settle for a draw. It was a bit of a silly comment and I wouldn't be the first fan to question his substitutions. For what is a very good manager, it is a really weak side of his game.

I was disappointed, because whilst on paper you may be happy with a draw, watching the game you could see that they really weren't very good at all.

The momentum was with us in the first half after we scored, second half it was all them apart from us on the counter attack. Birmingham had Leko, Juke, Roberts and Gardner to come on and do a good job. We have a significantly weaker squad. Most people were clamouring for Baka and Allen to come on who people were saying a week ago should be let go. He doesn’t make many changes because we don’t have many players currently fit who are anywhere near the level required

Irish Sky Blue

I don’t think we settled for a draw.I think we had the better chances throughout the game. I also thought we were the better footballing team. The fact that Blues committed so many fouls and had three players booked (should have been more) gives evidence to the fact that they were struggling to contain us rather than the other way around. Their manager made two changes at half time, again suggesting that he recognised that we were on top. I don’t think any Birmingham substitute had a huge impact on the game either. Wilson didn’t have a shot to save apart from the pen and the only way I could see Blues scoring was from a set piece. I also think that the performance on Saturday was much improved on the last time we played them when they had three good chances to score and when they were on top in the last 15 minutes of that game. A sign, I think, that we are progressing, even with so many key players injured.
I would have brought Allen on and not Shipley but I accept that Robins and Vibash see the players all week in training, have a much better insight than I have into what is happening in the game. I would think that if a survey was carried out on what supporters think of their manager’s ability in using subs, the vast majority would say that their manager is lacking.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

The momentum was with us in the first half after we scored, second half it was all them apart from us on the counter attack. Birmingham had Leko, Juke, Roberts and Gardner to come on and do a good job. We have a significantly weaker squad. Most people were clamouring for Baka and Allen to come on who people were saying a week ago should be let go. He doesn’t make many changes because we don’t have many players currently fit who are anywhere near the level required

If that is the case, which I generally agree with, why did he bring Shipley on who is clearly no where near the level required? Allen had been getting better and better, scoring a great goal in the last game.

It was a really silly move doing what he did, and as the game went on, lack of changes for me indicated that we were trying to hold out.

steve cooper

I'm sure MR would have been happy to win the game on Saturday, but given we were playing our landlords, I wonder if he was content to settle for a draw towards the end of the game. I doubt we would be very popular there if our results against them ultimately helped relegate them.

Evo1883

I'm sure MR would have been happy to win the game on Saturday, but given we were playing our landlords, I wonder if he was content to settle for a draw towards the end of the game. I doubt we would be very popular there if our results against them ultimately helped relegate them.
I highly doubt Robins had Birminghams safety at all in his mind

Brighton Sky Blue

?????

cc84cov

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

mr_monkey

Bloody hell 😂

I think it was more one point a piece is better than going for it and us losing a point and them gaining 3 over us

rexo87

If that is the case, which I generally agree with, why did he bring Shipley on who is clearly no where near the level required? Allen had been getting better and better, scoring a great goal in the last game.

It was a really silly move doing what he did, and as the game went on, lack of changes for me indicated that we were trying to hold out.

Agree on the Shipley situation. Only thing I can think of is it was due to the height situation compared to Allen. Birmingham were pumping balls in winning a lot of set peices. Still doing make any sense as Shipley is hardly the most physical. Think the one sub we did make made us weaker

Sky Blue Harry H

Blues fans think they may have broken the rules tonight v Wycombe, as they have not named a home grown player on the bench? Not sure what the consequences might be if true.

Brighton Sky Blue

Blues fans think they may have broken the rules tonight v Wycombe, as they have not named a home grown player on the bench? Not sure what the consequences might be if true.

That isn't possible, the game reminds you and you can't proceed until you change the squad. Karanka needs to reload

Liquid Gold

Make attacking subs when we’re drawing against a team that hasn’t won in 3 years or something instead of sitting back and taking a point.

clint van damme

I said it several times Saturday, Allen stayed on the bench purely because of his height and Shipley being more naturally left sided. Birmingham brought on several units and were getting a succession of corners and targeting our left.
You might disagree with Robins doing that but there was a certain logic behind it.

I still agree there were other more positive subs he could have made. I'd like to have seen Bapaga try and have a run at their defence.

EalingSB

I like Gareth ainsworth. Comes across really nice guy and clearly isn't faking his passion for rock music lifestyle
We sat just behind the tunnel for the game at Wycombe last season. Obviously we were brilliant and won 4-1 and I was really impressed that Ainsworth stood by the tunnel and shook the hand of each of our players as they left the pitch. I mentioned it to my brother-in-law, who supports Wycombe, and he said he does it every game which took some of the gloss off but still a really nice touch.

Users who are viewing this thread