This season's Shirt Sponsor (1 Viewer)

no_loyalty

We are slowly but surely turning into Birmingham City lol.

SBT

Nevermind the people worried about gambling sponsorship in football, of all the hot takes on Twitter, this one is by FAR the spiciest

ajsccfc

That's the thing, 2 of our most pivotal moments have been hammered with Sky Bet branding. Even the players winners medals are branded.

I don't think anyone expects to avoid being exposed to betting ads entirely unless it were made illegal, but wearing it is a different scenario

SBT

I don't get why playing in a league sponsored by a betting company (which we can't control) means that it's pointless for us to complain about our shirts being sponsored by the same (which we can control)

Kieranp96

I don't get why playing in a league sponsored by a betting company (which we can't control) means that it's pointless for us to complain about our shirts being sponsored by the same (which we can control)
Just grow up, fucking ell, everyone finds something to moan at can we just jump back in time to the 80s where people got on with their lives.

shmmeee

I’m generally on the “if it’s legal crack on” side of this argument. But let’s not pretend companies would spend on advertising if it didn’t work or that people don’t have legitimate reasons to not want to support it. I’m sure if we had an alcohol sponsor or a tobacco sponsor different people would have their issues.

Cov fans be like. DISGUSTING a betting company. We have no morals. As A SKY BET Championship team we demand no betting company on th shirt

We don’t have any say over the league sponsorship.

AFCCOVENTRY

Some of our fans need to get a grip. In the Champ and above it’s only betting companies that pay the decent money to be a shirt sponsor. And we need as much revenue as possible in the current climate and our stadium issues. Basically who will pay is the most. This was at the start of last season but gives the context of how broad betting company shirt sponsorship is:

Just three Premier League football clubs will begin the 2019/20 season without a partnership with a betting brand.

As the new football season opens this weekend, only Brighton & Hove Albion, Sheffield United and Southampton FC have no betting partnerships. Meanwhile, half of the clubs in the Premier League and 17 out of 24 clubs in the EFL Championship feature a betting brand as a shirt sponsor this season.

SBT

I’m generally on the “if it’s legal crack on” side of this argument. But let’s not pretend companies would spend on advertising if it didn’t work or that people don’t have legitimate reasons to not want to support it. I’m sure if we had an alcohol sponsor or a tobacco sponsor different people would have their issues.

Alcohol and tobacco ads used to be fine, now they're not. The world's probably a better place for it. Betting ads will probably go the same way some day soon and it won't leave too many people upset. This debate will all seem quite strange.

jordan210

I know a few people are disappointed with a betting company. But the club has to maximise income. If this sponsorship pays for a player then it has to be done. If they shirt is amazing people will soon buy it anyway.

We need as much money as possible in the first year in the championship to even consider staying up. Look at the budgets we are against.

SBT

I know a few people are disappointed with a betting company. But the club has to maximise income. If this sponsorship pays for a player then it has to be done. If they shirt is amazing people will soon buy it anyway.

We need as much money as possible in the first year in the championship to even consider staying up. Look at the budgets we are against.

Are you not worried we left money on the table by ignoring The Weinstein Company offer?

bawtryneal

You could argue that betting companies have more morals than most estate agents and property developers.
I don’t include A & A in that of course.

ajsccfc

Have McDonald's been done for putting chopped up kids in their burgers or something I've missed? Seems an odd company to bring up alongside noted Hollywood rapists

Reactions: TTG

shmmeee

I wonder how many parents with doubts about buying shirts for their 11-13 Yr and question the morality of it, then let the same kids play GTA or Call of Duty on PS or Xbox?

Because playing video games is equivalent to gambling?

Frostie

Loot boxes are garbage, but now we’re back to gambling itself. Don’t think GTA or COD have loot boxes do they? I haven’t played either for a long while.

Not as such no but practically every game now has 'in app purchases' - COD is one of the worst culprits, encouraging players to pay more to level up quicker etc.

I know of people that have blown literally thousands of pounds on FIFA Ultimate Team.

But we're going off on a tangent.

Reactions: TTG

shmmeee

Not as such no but practically every game now has 'in app purchases' - COD is one of the worst culprits, encouraging players to pay more to level up quicker etc.

I know of people that have blown literally thousands of pounds on FIFA Ultimate Team.

But we're going off on a tangent.

FUT packs are definite gambling and should be banned IMO. In game currency, eh I’m not so bothered. It’s the risk reward mechanism that’s the problem I think. Very addictive.

long way home

So i wont buy a kit due to a gambling sponsor? but ill buy clothes, trainers etc...i know that are made by companies using slave labour to make them.. Get a grip FFS, if you dont want to buy it, dont, but keep it to yourself and carry on believing your moral compass and stance for whatever reason are right. If this is the case my advise is to you, is quietly Jump off the high moral horse put on them Nike's and have a good day safe in the knowledge you are a good person for not buying a branded/sponsored shirt!!!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread