Things that annoy you (10 Viewers)

SkyBlueSoul

I seem to recall in Copenhagen they have similar but with a physical kerb where possible between the cycle lane and the road. Incredible really. It makes cycling very safe which is why it's so popular.
As a pedestrian you really have to have your wits about you when crossing !
Hell of a lot of these springing up near me in south Manchester, can't seem to get them down quick enough. Does mean you have to watch out if you're turning into, say, the petrol station that you've checked there's no-one flying down the cycle lane. Also redoing a lot of junctions and crossroads with a new "Cyclops" junction

Cyclops junction:
cyclops junction.jpg

cowboy1850

Applying for jobs and interviews.

If you want a qualified electrician for your vacancy then say it in the job description. If not then anyone will apply.

And if you're conducting an interview then have the respect to try to get to know the candidate applying. They've taken time out of their other job, used valuable fuel and probably had a bad nights sleep worrying about a job interview only to be asked very lackluster questions like "what are your qualifications". Experience is just as valuable as a degree/NVQ.

Useless fuckers.

Nick

Administrator

If you want a qualified electrician for your vacancy then say it in the job description. If not then anyone will apply.

And if you're conducting an interview then have the respect to try to get to know the candidate applying. They've taken time out of their other job, used valuable fuel and probably had a bad nights sleep worrying about a job interview only to be asked very lackluster questions like "what are your qualifications". Experience is just as valuable as a degree/NVQ.

Useless fuckers.

Is that through agencies that will just be trying to get as many applicants as they can?

LastGarrison

Useless fuckers.
I love this post when your username is cowboy 🤣

*Although completely agree and the whole recruitment and interview process in this country needs massively overhauling!

SkyBlueSoul

Clients stood there while you make programming changes to their home.

- "So you want changes x, y, z? Great, I'll programme that, then upload the project and test. Probably take half an hour"
- "That's brilliant, thanks!" *stands 6ft away watching*

Just fuck off and leave me to it! I'll come and get you when I'm finished

Nick

Administrator
Clients stood there while you make programming changes to their home.

- "So you want changes x, y, z? Great, I'll programme that, then upload the project and test. Probably take half an hour"
- "That's brilliant, thanks!" *stands 6ft away watching*

Just fuck off and leave me to it! I'll come and get you when I'm finished

What are you programming in their home?

SkyBlueSoul

Home automation (we install Crestron systems primarily) and then things within that such as lighting, audio visual etc.

Nick

Administrator
I can, she programmes me what to do, and I do it :(

Oh, I was looking for a new dishwasher.

giphy.gif

Tommo1993

Is that through agencies that will just be trying to get as many applicants as they can?

Ah agencies. My inbox is spammed with them.

“Hi Tom, we saw your profile/CV on Indeed and your experience at DHL driving Class 2 vehicles, and thought you’d be a great match for our client.”

*View Job Description*

Class 1, FLT, CSCS required, and loads of other qualifications I don’t have and aren’t listed on my CV.

fernandopartridge

Hell of a lot of these springing up near me in south Manchester, can't seem to get them down quick enough. Does mean you have to watch out if you're turning into, say, the petrol station that you've checked there's no-one flying down the cycle lane. Also redoing a lot of junctions and crossroads with a new "Cyclops" junction

Cyclops junction:
View attachment 25867

I crossed over one of the cyclops junctions the other day at the junction with Stretford Rd, it's decent. Chorlton is well served if you're on a bike (I use the Fallowfield Loop as well) but a lot of the rest of Manchester and surrounds are terrible

fernandopartridge

I love this post when your username is cowboy 🤣

*Although completely agree and the whole recruitment and interview process in this country needs massively overhauling!

Far too much emphasis on a particular experience or level of qualification, or examples of competence that somebody has come up with and too little on the actual characteristics needed to perform a role. We've recruited a lot of people over the last 18 months and they've mostly been useless.

NorthernWisdom

Far too much emphasis on a particular experience or level of qualification, or examples of competence that somebody has come up with and too little on the actual characteristics needed to perform a role. We've recruited a lot of people over the last 18 months and they've mostly been useless.
At the risk of sounding like an old fart, in the public sectors at least, it's become quite like exams in that it's assessed quantitatively - does the candidate say the right thing for a question to get the maximum number of points, rather than allowing some flexibility for somebody taking a punt on whether somebody would actually be any good and, for that matter, fit into a team.

Robinshio

At the risk of sounding like an old fart, in the public sectors at least, it's become quite like exams in that it's assessed quantitatively - does the candidate say the right thing for a question to get the maximum number of points, rather than allowing some flexibility for somebody taking a punt on whether somebody would actually be any good and, for that matter, fit into a team.
Agree - as long as somebody can "do " the job - the next thing should be how they will fit into the team and develop based on the requirement. They maybe brilliant and tick all of the questions, but if they are going to be disruptive, then dont bother

wingy

Ha bizarrely I read an article yesterday about a bloke who started out as a builder progressed through various nondescript others,then lied about qualifications leading to running two NHS health authorities along with a stint as CEO of a hospice.

Apparently carried out the roles successfully but ended up in jail .
Now being pursued for approximately £100K proceeds of crime.🤔

fernandopartridge

Ha bizarrely I read an article yesterday about a bloke who started out as a builder progressed through various nondescript others,then lied about qualifications leading to running two NHS health authorities along with a stint as CEO of a hospice.

Apparently carried out the roles successfully but ended up in jail .
Now being pursued for approximately £100K proceeds of crime.🤔

I think that's ridiculous, at the end of the day the authorities themselves are culpable for the checks they did or didn't do.

LastGarrison

Exactly.

As you and FP have said it becomes a tick box exercise and you invariably end up with the wrong person.

The actual job can, in most cases, be taught but characteristics can't! In my old role I was given a list of bog standard interview questions for sales roles, "Tell me when you exceeded a target" blah blah which I instantly ripped up and incorporated much more value based questions which, shock and indeed horror, led to us employing people that immediately fitted into the team and culture and who went onto thrive in their roles.

shmmeee

Interviews and CVs are IIRC shown to have no use in predicting job performance.

ccfc922

The drama that people make out of doing a Sunday roast. Like they've done a tour of Afghan or something. Then to top it it off they pour watery gravy all of it 🤡

fernandopartridge

The drama that people make out of doing a Sunday roast. Like they've done a tour of Afghan or something. Then to top it it off they pour watery gravy all of it 🤡

It's strange really, it's a lot of effort but nothing particularly difficult. Having cooked many I've reached the conclusion that it's not really worth it and you barely feel like eating it by the time you sit down.

Users who are viewing this thread