Things that annoy you (10 Viewers)

LastGarrison

I actually think the main problem is we don't let things age...
Interesting. In what sense?

Personally, I feel after WWII the city centre was basically 'thrown up' and is pretty ugly and has never had the upkeep or regeneration it needed.

I feel it has made great strides over the last few years but people still hark on about the 'good old days' or blame Hitler for all of the cities problems.

IMO we need to embrace the changes that are happening and try and let the city evolve.

The City of Culture is a fantastic opportunity m, despite the local cynicism, and I just hope that Covid has not set the city back years again as it was changing and for the better.

People seem to forget how shit it really was in terms of restaurants, bars etc. and although it is far from being a Nottingham, Leeds etc. it has made massive strides from the new restaurant quarter, to Fargo, to Teezers, Escape Rooms, Ziberflat etc.

NorthernWisdom

Interesting. In what sense?
Each time, everything is piecemeal, and disjointed. Look at the Millenium developments, Broadgate (twice!) etc.

Pre-war those beautiful tudor buildings were seen as inconvenient slums - Hitler didn't cause the regeneration of the city centre, he just widened its scope!

Now, tbf I'd need to look at what they actually plan to do around there(!) but on the image as you linked, the square area there has promise as it is (the least said about Barracks the better, however! And thank God they're pulling the tower block down round thecorner!) - there are a number of linked, interesting buildings in the city centre, that do indeed have character - often the issue is we neglect areas, let them go rank and dark and dreary - it's not *necessarily* the architecture that's the issue. I'm thinking in this respect the arcade that goes to Argos is a fine example that, tidied up, could work as-is. The circular cafe is an example of how development can work in sympathy with what's already there - originally the plans were to demolish it, but I think the lower precinct has become an excellent little space, with distinction. Before they did that development, *that* was dank and dreary.

So, I'm not saying save *everything* or preserve it in aspic, but I am saying have sympathy with whatever we already have, too.

I repeat, I don't actually know if what they're proposing around there does do that or not, in my view, so I reserve judgement, but I am sympathetic to not just starting with a clean slate every 20 years, to then knock it all down again once the next generation decide whatever we do is shitter than what was there before!

fernandopartridge

I like the mural on the three tuns, but it certainly doesn't look like it is carved on, it just looks like what it is, a sculpture on stop of a cast concrete block. Get it demolished and incorporate it on to a more deserving building. Not stuck in the corner of a tatty square leading to a dingy service area.

wingy

I like the mural on the three tuns, but it certainly doesn't look like it is carved on, it just looks like what it is, a sculpture on stop of a cast concrete block. Get it demolished and incorporate it on to a more deserving building. Not stuck in the corner of a tatty square leading to a dingy service area.
Be very simple to replicate with 3D lazer cutting etc.

covmark

Those bellends on social media that feel the need to film themselves while helping someone out. They're everywhere now. From giving homeless people presents and money, to paying off a family members mortgage.
If you're wanting to be nice, just be nice. Stop trying to inflate your ego and gain likes on social media, by filming it. I find it fucking crass tbh, and it annoys the shit out of me.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

LastGarrison

My Missus told me that Greg James on Radio 1 had done a clip where they replace ‘fascination’ with ‘vaccination’ in the cheesy song by Alphabeat and I now can’t stop singing it every time I hear the word vaccination. Which is a fucking lot.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Actually, i don't recall Cadbury's ever using such an explicit ad for a Creme Egg with a straight couple, so i would question the need for it at all.

Yep. No need whatsoever. Its a kids sweet for fucks sake.

This just strikes me as more viral advertising.....just like them two attention seeking woman on their Derbyshire reservoir product placement photoshoot.....

...and the social media dumb millions lap it up & forward it around like its fucking news.

shmmeee

Actually, i don't recall Cadbury's ever using such an explicit ad for a Creme Egg with a straight couple, so i would question the need for it at all.

Firstly 'explciit'? It's two people kissing. Regardless:

Yes. How despicable to use sexual overtones to sell sweets, this is definitely the first time this has ever happened and a completely new low and this has nothing to do with homophobia:

Mcbean

Woke BBC - watching countryfile last night and Anita Rani hijacks a story with her own woke agenda !

OffenhamSkyBlue

There was a girl at my school who had the reputation that her bf ate creme eggs out of her twat. Question most people asked was "with the wrapper or without?"!!!
But i wouldn't have suggested Cadbury's use her in their ads either!

Ian1779

There was a girl at my school who had the reputation that her bf ate creme eggs out of her twat. Question most people asked was "with the wrapper or without?"!!!
But i wouldn't have suggested Cadbury's use her in their ads either!
Not at that age anyway.

Sbarcher

People who tell you the bleeding obvious.
Tuffers- Joe Root is on 99 he only needs 1 more run to reach 100.
Now I am no mathematician but even I can work that one out.

Users who are viewing this thread