Things that annoy you (18 Viewers)

Tommo1993

I’ve worked all through this “lockdown” business. Was offered furlough and refused quite vehemently.
But I’m amazed to read that people can’t grasp the basic economical concept of companies furloughing staff.

Terry Gibson's perm

I have worked all through this apart from when I had corona, but we have people like our country manager who has sat at home through the whole thing on full pay and doing an hours work a day, during the whole thing he hasn’t sent a single messaging thanking his staff for going in (Villa twat).

We had a man who self furloughed he soon came I in when he didn’t get paid, but only for a day and then asked to be furloughed.

We have been busier than Xmas peak but are making less profit as the profit per parcel is less as we are delivering more to homes than multi dropping into business.

Marty

I'm not sure if you hadn't realised but the retail economy bar the supermarkets closed for a couple of months, just think about the impact along the supply chain of that sudden drop in demand. Add to that businesses in the hotel and leisure industry being closed completely you've got a load of people effectively redundant

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
It can be any number of reasons including those but it's on the employer and not employee, nobody on furlough is being paid specifically to sit home like it's sick leave and being caught outside invalidates it.

Correct me if i'm wrong, the government told everyone to stay at home and batten down the hatches and they would cover wages (furlough), which would give people income, protect businesses through this, which resulted in the huge drop of demand, would also slow the spread of the virus, What i'm saying is that as nobody gives a fuck anymore, why still have the scheme? If everyone is potentially spreading it at beaches, bbq's, down the park or protesting, why not spread it at work? We were all given the chance to stay home and the plebs fucked it up for us all.

I’ve worked all through this “lockdown” business. Was offered furlough and refused quite vehemently.
But I’m amazed to read that people can’t grasp the basic economical concept of companies furloughing staff.

I'm not questioning the economic decision to have furlough, it was to protect business while the country essentially closes.

Blind-Faith

Surely it’s because if the place a person works isn’t open yet or working on much reduced staff, then the furloughed people aren’t able to go back to work.It’s down to the employer not the employee as of when they go back to work.

Marty

Lots of places cant open yet.

Surely it’s because if the place a person works isn’t open yet or working on much reduced staff, then the furloughed people aren’t able to go back to work.It’s down to the employer not the employee as of when they go back to work.

I feel like people don't understand what I'm trying to say.

Walsgrave

Correct me if i'm wrong, the government told everyone to stay at home and batten down the hatches and they would cover wages (furlough), which would give people income, protect businesses through this, which resulted in the huge drop of demand, would also slow the spread of the virus, What i'm saying is that as nobody gives a fuck anymore, why still have the scheme? If everyone is potentially spreading it at beaches, bbq's, down the park or protesting, why not spread it at work? We were all given the chance to stay home and the plebs fucked it up for us all.

I'm not questioning the economic decision to have furlough, it was to protect business while the country essentially closes.
I get what you're saying. But how do you know that those who are not adhering to social distancing are necessarily furloughed? It does not necessarily follow that just because the beaches are packed on a scorching hot weekday; that the furlough system is failing - a lot of people have much more flexibly ways of working nowadays, and in any case other users have pointed out the issue of demand simply not being there.

Marty

I get what you're saying. But how do you know that those who are not adhering to social distancing are necessarily furloughed? It does not necessarily follow that just because the beaches are packed on a scorching hot weekday; that the furlough system is failing - a lot of people have much more flexibly ways of working nowadays, and in any case other users have pointed out the issue of demand simply not being there.

Yeah, I guess you may have a point, my views are out that and any more will be going round in circles.

chiefdave

It was never everyone stay at home, it was work at home if you can. Furlough was to stop the unemployed rate going through the roof. If companies didn't have enough work to keep people employed they were encouraged to furlough them rather than making them redundant while the government picked up the tab.

As furlough is wound down the hope is companies will have enough work to take people back on. For the majority of those furloughed they got no say in it and while I'm sure there's some happy to be off work and paid for it for many its a stressful time. On top of everything else going on they don't know if they'll have a job to go back to.

fernandopartridge

The rules are still in place, the fact people are breaking them doesn't mean they should be dropped and protections for businesses following the rules removed.
Tbh with you, I don't think there is extensive rule breaking, there are high profile things like people heading to a beach but it is a tiny fraction of the population doing it and it's outdoors so the risk of spread greatly diminished anyway. It's not comparable with reopening indoor activities involving lots of people with lots of close contact.

Covstu

You spread it at work, companies get sued.

skyblue1991

I get the frustration that some of us have been working throughout lockdown and others have been furloughed on 80% pay and therefore having more free time to go to the beach and what not.

Would I rather be working or in furlough? Definitely the former. Those on furlough are at a higher risk of redundancy, through no fault of their own.

Some places simply cannot open yet, and may never open again.

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Covstu

It was never everyone stay at home, it was work at home if you can. Furlough was to stop the unemployed rate going through the roof. If companies didn't have enough work to keep people employed they were encouraged to furlough them rather than making them redundant while the government picked up the tab.

As furlough is wound down the hope is companies will have enough work to take people back on. For the majority of those furloughed they got no say in it and while I'm sure there's some happy to be off work and paid for it for many its a stressful time. On top of everything else going on they don't know if they'll have a job to go back to.
Sadly it’s just delayed the inevitable, large scale redundancies are taking place now after using up 4-5 months of furlough pay

Covstu

I get the frustration that some of us have been working throughout lockdown and others have been furloughed on 80% pay and therefore having more free time to go to the beach and what not.

Would I rather be working or in furlough? Definitely the former. Those on furlough are at a higher risk of redundancy, through no fault of their own.

Some places simply cannot open yet, and may never open again.

Our company paid 100% across all furloughed employees throughout until end of July. That’s created a divide between the workers and non workers which has been difficult to get the message across that the decision to furlough wasn’t their choice. I agree with long term furloughs as people are being found out in terms of not being missed in the workplace

skyblue1991

Our company paid 100% across all furloughed employees throughout until end of July. That’s created a divide between the workers and non workers which has been difficult to get the message across that the decision to furlough wasn’t their choice. I agree with long term furloughs as people are being found out in terms of not being missed in the workplace
Even if I was furloughed with 100% pay, for me it's not about the money. Its about job security

Mucca Mad Boys

Even if I was furloughed with 100% pay, for me it's not about the money. Its about job security

I agree with this.

Thankfully, I’ve been working normal hours, even had extra overtime offered because the company I work at is doing very well. My routine has been messed up a lot working from home. I was waking up at 5:30am, walk the dog and go to the gym before work. Now I roll out of bed 30m before work!

I somehow got v ill with the mumps and was off for one week, and it was a boring week. A few of my mates have lost their jobs, are bored shitless with nothing to do. Not good for mental well-being.

chiefdave

I agree with long term furloughs as people are being found out in terms of not being missed in the workplace
My concern is we'll start seeing 'efficiency savings' all over the place. Basically make people work harder for the same money as 'you're lucky to have a job'.

Saw that in the austerity era. Overtime and toil went out the window, as a salaried employee your set hours were pretty much meaningless, you were expected to work whatever was asked. That's never gone away and I expect it will get worse. Of course for companies that still have the same amount of work its just another example of the money flowing to the top.

Tommo1993

Mental heath has been A massive factor in Furloughed staff.

Certainly has. And it’s the reason I gave them for not volunteering (not that they needed one). Work is normality. By this point my mrs had already been working from home for a week or two. Despite still working, her mental health has noticeably dipped. Confined to the flat, missing out on social interaction and activity.

When I say work is normality, we swear and curse about work all the time, it’s human. But we’d be lost without it. I feel massively sorry for those who’ve lost jobs through all this.

Covstu

Certainly has. And it’s the reason I gave them for not volunteering (not that they needed one). Work is normality. By this point my mrs had already been working from home for a week or two. Despite still working, her mental health has noticeably dipped. Confined to the flat, missing out on social interaction and activity.

When I say work is normality, we swear and curse about work all the time, it’s human. But we’d be lost without it. I feel massively sorry for those who’ve lost jobs through all this.
I have worked from home all throughout and WFH has worn thin, we also had our father in law who has a severe mental health condition with us which has been additionally stressful. For me I don’t class this period as WFH as I’m technically’confined’ still so doesn’t allow me the time away from the screen as per normal. Work has increased significantly and find I’m working longer and harder through this period. Only saving grace is I’m trying to put in breaks to split the day so can have a rest but difficult when people are working to their schedules during lunch times

Covstu

My concern is we'll start seeing 'efficiency savings' all over the place. Basically make people work harder for the same money as 'you're lucky to have a job'.

Saw that in the austerity era. Overtime and toil went out the window, as a salaried employee your set hours were pretty much meaningless, you were expected to work whatever was asked. That's never gone away and I expect it will get worse. Of course for companies that still have the same amount of work its just another example of the money flowing to the top.
Without a doubt, we have estimated that we have lost around 50m as a business for this period only but equally cutting jobs isn’t going to recoup that and we have to aim to get back to the levels we were used to pre COVID. It has shone a light on roles which were not adding value or produced over this period especially when you have managers still on furlough and the team has returned so those can be a good exercise to do for a business. Surely areas such as swissport who are making 50% cuts is short sighted given the pending explosion of holidays but it’s an ongoing cost while that ramps back up. Not good times ahead sadly

Covstu

Totally with you on that one. For me it was the sanity of keeping me busy in this period rather than sit at home without a purpose

OffenhamSkyBlue

With regard to continuing the furlough scheme, employers who ARE allowed to reopen are only able to if they can put in place measures to ensure the workplace is "Covid Secure". Part of what i have been doing in the past 14 weeks is to advise my employer on how that can be achieved, but one of the measures is that you need to be able to maintain separation in the workplace, so you cannot operate at full staff capacity. Those people aren't redundant, it's just that they can't come to work at the moment. If they can do their jobs entirely from home (as i have been), they don't need furloughing, but that doesn't apply to everyone.

As far as cost-saving measures go, my employer reckons they are set to have a deficit of around £80M this year (even with furloughing some of its staff), so has introduced a voluntary leavers' scheme (voluntary redundancy by any other name). Three of my team have already applied, as they are coming up to retirement age anyway, and it's a pretty good financial package.

I hope all of you remain well, physically and mentally, and that your jobs are secure when you go back.

ccfc92

The rules are still in place, the fact people are breaking them doesn't mean they should be dropped and protections for businesses following the rules removed.
Tbh with you, I don't think there is extensive rule breaking, there are high profile things like people heading to a beach but it is a tiny fraction of the population doing it and it's outdoors so the risk of spread greatly diminished anyway. It's not comparable with reopening indoor activities involving lots of people with lots of close contact.

I saw a figure quoted of 500,000 down here at Bournemouth beach. We normally get 300,000 for Air Show, so it's not just a small % in reality.

D

Deleted member 4439

Recently moved from a house in Earlsdon to a house in Eastern Green. The value of the property I've moved into is less than the one I left behind in Earlsdon. But because water rates are based on pre-house inflation trends and instead on rateable value my water charges have more than doubled.

Anyway, received this email from ST the other day:

"We’ve all found ourselves in unprecedented times with COVID-19 over the last few months. Many of us are at home loads more and looking for ways to keep busy. Everyone’s cleaning the car or the patio more, and making their gardens look lovely, all of which uses a lot more water than usual.

Despite the recent rainfall, demand for water has increased by as much as 40% in some areas when the weather gets hotter, so we’ve been creating and pumping more treated water than ever before in our 30 year history to your taps.

As it takes us 12 hours to treat and pump water to your home, we’ve launched a new high water use alert system to make sure we can always get enough water to your community.

New water alert system to save water
Our new alert system will let you know when we see demand spiking in your local community.

To make sure we can get plenty of water to everyone, we’ll ask you to pull together as a community and temporarily stop using high usage water devices.

This will help us make sure there are no low pressure problems.

We’ll contact you by text to activate the alert"

Pull together as a community? What, you mean like share baths or piss on a neighbour's trees rather than wasting it down a loo? Why don't you just say "shame and embarrass"? And then offer me a rebate on the 1k a year I give you? Money sucking b'stards.

England's privatised water firms paid £57bn in dividends since 1991

chiefdave

Worth giving them a ring, or emailing. I moved into a house on the same street I previously lived in and the bill was way higher. They offered to put in a water meter for free.

In the end they couldn’t install one as they couldn’t find the pipe they needed to fit it on so they put me on a much lower rate. Pay even less than I did before now.

chiefdave

That doesn't bode well for your water supplier!
Did think that! It’s a bit weird, there’s access points for my neighbours on both sides but not one for mine. My guess is it was on the drive and the idiots who were here before me laid the new drive over it.

Users who are viewing this thread