The Walsh Talk (1 Viewer)

SleepyGinger

The narrow diamond gives me shivers as all I can remember about it is Thorn using it - Bigi at the base, Baker and David Bell in the middle and McSheffrey at the tip :poop:

Christ that brings back bad memories, how did we ever think we could play that in the championship

shmmeee

You’d have to put Walsh in Allen’s role, which I’m not sure he’s suited to. Or next to Hamer but they’re both very similar and lacking in height. Or you go 3511 which seems a bit too defensive.

In all seriousness, without dropping Hamer or massively changing our system, where could you fit him in?

Ccfcisparks

You’d have to put Walsh in Allen’s role, which I’m not sure he’s suited to. Or next to Hamer but they’re both very similar and lacking in height. Or you go 3511 which seems a bit too defensive.

In all seriousness, without dropping Hamer or massively changing our system, where could you fit him in?
I think he would do just fine in Allen’s role.

Liquid Gold

I think him and Hamer would work. Kelly isn't the tallest either. It would take away some of Hamer's attacking instincts but he's got more than enough about him to play the defensive role alongside Walsh IMO.

shmmeee

I think him and Hamer would work. Kelly isn't the tallest either. It would take away some of Hamer's attacking instincts but he's got more than enough about him to play the defensive role alongside Walsh IMO.

Maybe. Not seen enough of Sheaf yet but I like having someone a bit more defensively minded in there, especially with Giles at LWB.

mr_monkey

Just think it's a waste of hamer to play him more defensively, alongside sheaf or Kelly he will shine even more than he already has

PVA

Not in their squad again tonight, even despite making 8 changes he STILL can't get in the team!! It's definitely happening!!!

Must be quite a bad injury.

Frostie

Christ that brings back bad memories, how did we ever think we could play that in the championship

Especially the way we played it. Thorn had very limited tactical knowhow. We were exploited by the diagonal ball to the flanks in EVERY single game yet he had no idea how to prevent it.

Hobo

Why buy a player who is clearly out of their side because of injury? Suggest we shelve this thread until January if not longer?

KenilworthSkyBlue

Especially the way we played it. Thorn had very limited tactical knowhow. We were exploited by the diagonal ball to the flanks in EVERY single game yet he had no idea how to prevent it.

Great scout, terrible manager. I remember him claiming when we first used the diamond formation, that it would be some kind of secret weapon and the opposition wouldn't know how to deal with it.

His repetitive post-match interviews always frustrated me as well. Gave needless praise all too often and never seemed to actually know what went wrong or why.

Can't be too critical though as at the end of the day from my experience, he was a nice guy who got thrown into the deep end.

Londonccfcfan

Really dont get the obsession with Walsh.
We have Hamer and Sheaf now! Who are more than adequate replacements imo Hamer a definate upgrade. Woth Sheaf signs are promising.

Be really interesting to see if Robins sticks with Shipley in defensive midfield role or brings in Sheaf.

Personally i would definately start with 2 defensive minded natural midfielders tommorow vs Barnsley.

The other change we might see is possibly Shipley for Allen.

Also with Kelly likely to miss maximum of just another 2 games as theres a 2 week break after. We have plenty of options.

skyblueelephant76

Really dont get the obsession with Walsh.
We have Hamer and Sheaf now! Who are more than adequate replacements imo Hamer a definate upgrade. Woth Sheaf signs are promising.

Be really interesting to see if Robins sticks with Shipley in defensive midfield role or brings in Sheaf.

Personally i would definately start with 2 defensive minded natural midfielders tommorow vs Barnsley.

The other change we might see is possibly Shipley for Allen.

Also with Kelly likely to miss maximum of just another 2 games as theres a 2 week break after. We have plenty of options.
Kelly started training today so should be available for next week.

Reactions: vow

fernandopartridge

Not sure about the scouting. He seemed like a nice enough bloke, but given his 'Crazy Gang' background felt very solemn, not much of a motivator.

Great scout, terrible manager. I remember him claiming when we first used the diamond formation, that it would be some kind of secret weapon and the opposition wouldn't know how to deal with it.

His repetitive post-match interviews always frustrated me as well. Gave needless praise all too often and never seemed to actually know what went wrong or why.

Can't be too critical though as at the end of the day from my experience, he was a nice guy who got thrown into the deep end.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Not sure about the scouting. He seemed like a nice enough bloke, but given his 'Crazy Gang' background felt very solemn, not much of a motivator.

He arrived in 2007 so I'm sure he would've certainly had a hand in targeting the likes of Dann, Fox, Gunnarsson, Westwood, Cranie, Keogh, Jutkiewicz. Although there was a wash of cannon fodder over the course of his tenure as scout and manager, so I'll take your point.

I met him on a number of occasions and he was a really nice guy, but admittedly it always struck me how he was actually a 'manager', as he was the most quiet and unassuming person you'd meet. Typically someone you'd associate with a 'behind the scenes' role. (i.e. Scout). Like you said, not much of a motivator and someone you wouldn't particularly want leading the charge if things got ugly and his team found themselves struggling.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

He arrived in 2007 so I'm sure he would've certainly had a hand in targeting the likes of Dann, Fox, Gunnarsson, Westwood, Cranie, Keogh, Jutkiewicz. Although there was a wash of cannon fodder over the course of his tenure as scout and manager, so I'll take your point.

I met him on a number of occasions and he was a really nice guy, but admittedly it always struck me how he was actually a 'manager', as he was the most quiet and unassuming person you'd meet. Typically someone you'd associate with a 'behind the scenes' role. (i.e. Scout). Like you said, not much of a motivator and someone you wouldn't particularly want leading the charge if things got ugly and his team found themselves struggling.
And so the myth and legend continues even to this day. He joined the club in the summer of 2008, SISU bought the club in December 2007.
Both Dann and Fox were signed before he was even at the club - Gunnarsson was also recommended by someone else. He was also responsible for the scouting of a lot of dross as well.

Grendel

He was at best a mediocre scout

KenilworthSkyBlue

And so the myth and legend continues even to this day. He joined the club in the summer of 2008, SISU bought the club in December 2007.
Both Dann and Fox were signed before he was even at the club - Gunnarsson was also recommended by someone else. He was also responsible for the scouting of a lot of dross as well.

Thorn came to the club in June 2007. Here's an excerpt from an article posted on the CCFC website where it states it.

"Currently in his fifth season as a full-time scout for West Bromwich Albion, Thorn came to Coventry in June 2007 as a scout appointed by Ray Ranson."

Brighton Sky Blue

Thorn came to the club in June 2007. Here's an excerpt from an article posted on the CCFC website where it states it.

"Currently in his fifth season as a full-time scout for West Bromwich Albion, Thorn came to Coventry in June 2007 as a scout appointed by Ray Ranson."

But SISU and Ranson didn’t arrive till December that year?

Sick Boy

How did Ranson appoint him as a scout in June 2007? The article has the wrong date.

Users who are viewing this thread