The Walsh Talk (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

My favourite was always how Thorn was responsible for the better signings but the dross ones were signed by the board - it was actually like some kind of weird cult.

I can buy that he had some role in the signings of Gunnar and Westwood, but he must also have done in Beuzelin and Gary Deegan.

speedie87

And so the myth and legend continues even to this day. He joined the club in the summer of 2008, SISU bought the club in December 2007.
Both Dann and Fox were signed before he was even at the club - Gunnarsson was also recommended by someone else. He was also responsible for the scouting of a lot of dross as well.

Ray gooding scouted Dann and Fox

KenilworthSkyBlue

While the 11/12 squad was poor it ought to have stayed up with a competent manager. Too many got won over by his caretaker spell

Agree to an extent. But personally I think the lack of depth and the sale of Jutkiewicz meant that probably even the most competent of managers would have struggled to keep us in the Championship that season.

Reactions: vow

Grendel

I can buy that he had some role in the signings of Gunnar and Westwood, but he must also have done in Beuzelin and Gary Deegan.

Westwood was league 1 goalkeeper of the year and cost £750,000 its hardly much of a scouting mission - thorn admitted he scouted David Bell

Ranson was Coleman’s drinking buddy and he employed him and his mates from Fulham - Keane and Thorn

All Ranson cared about was trousering money out the club and his buddies got a pay day

Brighton Sky Blue

Westwood was league 1 goalkeeper of the year and cost £750,000 its hardly much of a scouting mission - thorn admitted he scouted David Bell

Ranson was Coleman’s drinking buddy and he employed him and his mates from Fulham - Keane and Thorn

All Ranson cared about was trousering money out the club and his buddies got a pay day

I was being kind

Frostie

Funniest thing about this Henderson had already played for Sunderland’s first team and so had Carroll at Newcastle. They were on loan for experience and never were available

The typical Turner/Telegraph slant on it as always too:

"RAY Ranson has revealed that Coventry City’s owners Sisu blocked a move to buy England striker Andy Carroll three years ago."

Makes it sound like it's proven fact - "Ray Ranson has claimed..." would be accurate & less sensational but as always, any way they could take a dig at SISU they would.

Legia Sky Blue

While the 11/12 squad was poor it ought to have stayed up with a competent manager. Too many got won over by his caretaker spell

I completely disagree, the squad was nowhere near good enough. We had only finished 18th the previous season when we had players like Westwood, Turner, Gunnarsson and King at our disposal. The sum of their replacements were Joe Murphy and Chris Dunn. Then in the January window Jutkiewicz was also sold without being replaced. The fact that our starting line up on the first game of the season included three 17 year olds was a clear indicator that relegation was a likely outcome.

Thorn was a reflection of SISU's leadership at that time where they effectively gave up on investing in the team. Having a novice manager suited that reality, in that Thorn wasn't going to rock the boat, which was more important to SISU than bringing in a more experienced manager who might have saved us, but would have demanded a bit of investment which SISU didn't want to provide. It is good that now we are back at this level, the mindset of the owners appears to have changed, with MR being supported in bringing in players. Of course his record and his success has clearly earned the owners trust, whereby that investment is based on more solid foundations than when we were last in this league.

Brighton Sky Blue

I completely disagree, the squad was nowhere near good enough. We had only finished 18th the previous season when we had players like Westwood, Turner, Gunnarsson and King at our disposal. The sum of their replacements were Joe Murphy and Chris Dunn. Then in the January window Jutkiewicz was also sold without being replaced. The fact that our starting line up on the first game of the season included three 17 year olds was a clear indicator that relegation was a likely outcome.

Thorn was a reflection of SISU's leadership at that time where they effectively gave up on investing in the team. Having a novice manager suited that reality, in that Thorn wasn't going to rock the boat, which was more important to SISU than bringing in a more experienced manager who might have saved us, but would have demanded a bit of investment which SISU didn't want to provide. It is good that now we are back at this level, the mindset of the owners appears to have changed, with MR being supported in bringing in players. Of course his record and his success has clearly earned the owners trust, whereby that investment is based on more solid foundations than when we were last in this league.

I'm just going on the fact it conceded a net of 27 points from winning positions and was in with a shout until relatively late on with that clown as manager. Someone who knew what they were doing would have kept it up.

fernandopartridge

I'm just going on the fact it conceded a net of 27 points from winning positions and was in with a shout until relatively late on with that clown as manager. Someone who knew what they were doing would have kept it up.
Agreed, it was a poor team but not so poor. His mid season signings were dreadful as well.

Sick Boy

They’d have been outrage from a majority of fans if they hadn’t appointed him manager. You’re right he was a reflection of the leadership of the club at the time, something that the majority couldn’t see as they continued to back him and come up with excuses for our pitiful performances.
He should have been sacked or had the decency to admit that he wasn’t up to the job by the end of September that season, instead he hung on and took the club down with him.

wingy

All painful at the time,but/yet it happened twice .
Inertia from the boardroom unpalatable to many does fit with the inevitable rationalisation and renewal we've seen up to this point .
I certainly wasn't prepared to go through it.

Sky Blue Harry H

All painful at the time,but/yet it happened twice .
Inertia from the boardroom unpalatable to many does fit with the inevitable rationalisation and renewal we've seen up to this point .
I certainly wasn't prepared to go through it.
Bloody hell Wingy, had you got a 'How to speak in the boardroom' management book for reference when you spouted that second sentence? lol 😂!

Users who are viewing this thread