The Penalty (2 Viewers)

SBbucks

I can't even remember the last time one of our players dived and won a penalty.

Bayliss in the first leg of the Notts County semi final? Hadn’t realised it was the same ref as Saturday until someone on here mentioned it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grendel

Does anyone remember the Robbie Fowler penalty incident?
He fell over in the box and was awarded a penalty, he tried to get the ref to change his mind without success.
sometimes players just slip or fall over when in full flight going up against an opposition player, who may or may not be in close enough proximity to affect the situation.
I haven't got an opinion as to whether Godden dived or fell over, only he knows that, how can he be banned under those circumstances?

its a blatant dive. In real time it was very convincing - more of the same - I hope

capel & collindridge

Given Godden's recent injuries, wonder if he was just determined not to get crocked again. To his credit, he didn't claim he'd be fouled. So perhaps he just didn't want to be.

Brylowes

I think everyone thought it was a penalty on first viewing. Looked stonewall.

Can't blame the ref for that at all.
Watched it in the pub with about 20 others only 3 of which were Cov fans, I know it’s on TV so not the same as watching live, but every person there thought it was a penalty on first viewing.

Reactions: KAB

oakey

Diving to get a penalty is just one form of cheating in the game.
IMO it's no worse than shirt pulling, pushing, arm twisting, blocking quick free kicks and throw ins, time wasting etc.
Just some purists pearl clutching.

Johhny Blue

I was replying to Otis’s post saying that on first look it was a stonewall pen and the Ref couldn’t be blamed.
I was merely backing that up by sharing my experience.

FFS only Cov fans would spend more time and effort debating the merits of a dubious penalty given for us, than they ever would for one given against us.
It’s because we’re all enjoying a little guilty pleasure

Tommo1993

Don’t know why it needs to be scrutinised enough for its own thread. Wrong decisions happen all the time, and it was in our favour. We won, move on. The Luton penalty was for an incident that happened at least a yard outside the area, inexcusable decision compared to an inconspicuous dive. Yet the Luton pen got hardly any mention on here compared to this.

Covkid1968#

What about muff diving?
I guess it’s similar issues…. I’ve muff dived from outside the box and not a word said, but that’s usually when I’ve not got my glasses on. I’ve always thought simulated muff diving was a complete waste of everyone’s time ….But we’re all different

chiefdave

With some of the joke pens we have had given against us. Its ridiculous
This is the thing for me. We all know what happened but we also know how may dodgy decisions we've had given against us with no action taken. The old 'evens itself out' theory isn't going to hold up very well if there's seemingly random disciplinary action taken for some bad decisions and not others.

Sky Blue Harry H

What about Adebayo (or whatever he's called), when he threw himself with a swan dive into our penalty area from a yard outside? Not being funny, but how many of these have been shown on the box, yet nothing done. I don't mind them doing it, provided they are consistent about it.

Last edited:

Frostie

What about Adebayo (or whatever he's called), when he threw himself with a swan dive into our penalty area from a yard outside? Not being funny, but how many of these have been shown on the box, yet nothing done. I don't mind them doing it, providing they are consistent about it.

There was contact on that one though.

The defence for Godden is pretty straightforward imo. He never appealed for a penalty, he saw the leg come out, anticipated contact & avoided it, fearing risk of injury.

vow

Anticipating the contact and trying to avoid it OR a dive?

The former for me...........and only a little bit of the latter.

vow

There was contact on that one though.

The defence for Godden is pretty straightforward imo. He never appealed for a penalty, he saw the leg come out, anticipated contact & avoided it, fearing risk of injury.
great minds an all that!

Users who are viewing this thread