The Penalty (1 Viewer)

slowpoke

If I'm correct a foul outside the box where the contact continues into the box is now deemed to be a penalty, so a foul outside the box where the player continues on and falls inside the box is not a penalty if the contact ended before he entered the box. Is this what you mean?
No it was to do with Fulham being allowed to take the off-side free kick in our half. Going to try and find it again in case I heard it wrong, I’m still not sure it’s correct but the ref was right there and let it go so perhaps it is.

Evo1883

If I'm correct a foul outside the box where the contact continues into the box is now deemed to be a penalty, so a foul outside the box where the player continues on and falls inside the box is not a penalty if the contact ended before he entered the box. Is this what you mean?

So o hare should have had one then against forest or Reading can't remember which 🤷‍♂️

It’sabatch87

The blame has to go to the assistant referee. He had a much better view of things than the ref.

There have been plenty of bad decisions in the championship again this season just look at Bournemouth’s penalty against Sheff United yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m not fussed about that it won me £135

Wood51

I don’t care that he dived we got a penalty and scored fuck Sliva and fuck Fulham.

If it was the last minute of the season and it’s one one and he dived and got a penalty and scored and we were promoted would you be bothered?
Yes I would absolutely care. I would hope we missed the penalty too so it didn't get to that point of us being promoted.

Unfortunately, it's attitudes like this that sends out a message of encouragement to young children and teenagers growing up playing football to dive and cheat in order to get what they want. The justification? Well, because every other team does it, so I'll join in.

Exactly why the games gone to pot.

slowpoke

Yes I would absolutely care. I would hope we missed the penalty too so it didn't get to that point of us being promoted.

Unfortunately, it's attitudes like this that sends out a message of encouragement to young children and teenagers growing up playing football to dive and cheat in order to get what they want. The justification? Well, because every other team does it, so I'll join in.

Gone on for years and will for years to come.

SlowerThanPlatt

Managers will tell their players to feign and exaggerate contact

Wood51

Managers will tell their players to feign and exaggerate contact
And there just as much to blame for it. Do people not feel embarrassed or ashamed? These are fully grown men getting paid thousands a week to fall over in mid-air. And public pay sometimes absurd amounts of money to watch that?

slowpoke

Well a lot of time it’s a matter of opinion years ago before tv replays you moaned at the ref but that was it. Nowadays there is var which may help but needs to be throughout the game, we’ll pro. game atleast that is.

SlowerThanPlatt

And there just as much to blame for it. Do people not feel embarrassed or ashamed? These are fully grown men getting paid thousands a week to fall over in mid-air. And public pay sometimes absurd amounts of money to watch that?

Not really, no. The referee has to give it at the end of the day

steve cooper

No it was to do with Fulham being allowed to take the off-side free kick in our half. Going to try and find it again in case I heard it wrong, I’m still not sure it’s correct but the ref was right there and let it go so perhaps it is.
It might be worth reading this

Offside offence

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play

Offences and sanctions

If an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick where the offence occurred, including if it is in the player’s own half of the field of play.

SlowerThanPlatt

Well a lot of time it’s a matter of opinion years ago before tv replays you moaned at the ref but that was it. Nowadays there is var which may help but needs to be throughout the game, we’ll pro. game atleast that is.

Lower leagues couldn’t afford VAR. I believe it’s about £9k a game

slowpoke

Offside offence

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play

Offences and sanctions

If an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick where the offence occurred, including if it is in the player’s own half of the field of play.
Thanks for that

shmmeee

I know what you mean, my six year old has been to three games ever, didn’t go on Saturday but the first thing she asked me after was “did anyone fall on the floor daddy” 😂 Funny, but embarrassing that’s what she’s taken from the beautiful game so far.

It’s got to the point where it’s on the refs to fix it now though. Retrospective cards for simulation maybe. Otherwise no club would stop doing it and put themselves at a disadvantage for no reason.

Hutch11

There's a simple solution
If you are found to have cheated get a 1 game ban
Cheat again and the ban doubles
Managers and coaches will soon 'train their players' not to do it as they won't want to be without them.

You can be banned retrospectively for violent incidents so why not cheating ?

Grendel

Frostie

There's a simple solution
If you are found to have cheated get a 1 game ban
Cheat again and the ban doubles
Managers and coaches will soon 'train their players' not to do it as they won't want to be without them.

You can be banned retrospectively for violent incidents so why not cheating ?

That exists, was brought in in 2017, but is almost never enforced. I can think of probably 4 occasions ever.
You'd never see it for incidents like Godden's as it's very subjective.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Offside offence

Offences and sanctions

Apart from the fact I think the offside rule is a load of nonsense does that mean that if a player touched the ball on their goal line despite being offside about 20 yards further up the pitch the free kick should be taken from the goalline?

Surely the player becomes involved in active play the second he runs back into his own half, so therefore the freekick should be taken from where he began to run back onside.

I don't know why they make up this utter nonsense. It's so easy to fix.

"The free kick shall be taken from the position of the second-last opponent, unless said player is inside the opponent's half where the free-kick shall be taken from the half-way line."

steve cooper

Does anyone remember the Robbie Fowler penalty incident?
He fell over in the box and was awarded a penalty, he tried to get the ref to change his mind without success.
sometimes players just slip or fall over when in full flight going up against an opposition player, who may or may not be in close enough proximity to affect the situation.
I haven't got an opinion as to whether Godden dived or fell over, only he knows that, how can he be banned under those circumstances?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

At school I played a game where a lad came in with a very high challenge and I hurdled over it but when I landed my foot slipped and I fell.

They were having a go at me for diving when if I hadn't tried to hurdle the challenge I'd have got a set of studs in my thigh, we'd have got a penalty and he'd have been sent off. Honesty doesn't pay.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

mcsheffrey did it all the time and he was a master at it and I wanted to see it again and again
And this is why I don’t really begrudge it when it happens against us. Keogh had an outrageous flop aswell.

I remember when we drew 2-2 at Watford in the Boothroyd season.Looked like he’d been sniped from the crowd.

part of the game now unfortunately.

SlowerThanPlatt

Does anyone remember the Robbie Fowler penalty incident?
He fell over in the box and was awarded a penalty, he tried to get the ref to change his mind without success.
sometimes players just slip or fall over when in full flight going up against an opposition player, who may or may not be in close enough proximity to affect the situation.
I haven't got an opinion as to whether Godden dived or fell over, only he knows that, how can he be banned under those circumstances?
I get he’s our player and you’re naturally trying to defend him but it was an obvious dive. Not that I or Robins care

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

the problem is that players aren’t getting fouls when they’re staying on their feet.

and all this nonsense that “if it’s outside the box it’s a foul”

think Bamford said it not long ago, Grealish gets kicked all over the place and gets nothing, O’Hare the same

slowpoke

Years ago I was at Manchester City for a league cup quarter final replay we were winning 2-1 playing well on our way to Wembley or so we thought with 10 minutes to go when the notorious diver of the time Franny Lee was tripped way outside the area but landed on the penalty spot, penalty given we lose 3-2. Press & tv all over it the result…out of the cup. As said gone on for years

SlowerThanPlatt

Years ago I was at Manchester City for a league cup quarter final replay we were winning 2-1 playing well on our way to Wembley or so we thought with 10 minutes to go when the notorious diver of the time Franny Lee was tripped way outside the area but landed on the penalty spot, penalty given we lose 3-2. Press & tv all over it the result…out of the cup. As said gone on for years

Not the same level but players appeal for throw ins/corners when they know it’s not theirs to try and influence the decision

steve cooper

I get he’s our player and you’re naturally trying to defend him but it was an obvious dive. Not that I or Robins care
You are probably right, but a ref can caution a player for a dive if that's the way he sees it. some players are really good at drawing a foul, even to the extent of sticking their foot out to make contact in a way that looks like they were fouled. Godden isn't one of those players who continually looks for every opportunity to fool the ref, and if he dived then it was probably a split second decision to go down rather than a premeditated attempt to fool the ref. If someone sticks a foot out in front of you when you are running often players can have a split second to make a decision whether to try to avoid it, fall over, or risk an injury.

Terry Gibson's perm

Why does everything have to come back to how much they earn? There are players earning hundreds a week that will still dive unfortunately it’s become part of the game but one club saying their players won’t dive won’t change things. They won’t feel ashamed the game is about winning.

Liquid Gold

Fair play table you mean?

We’re currently the 5th “dirtiest” team Championship - Fair play table 21/22
This is just done on cards though and doesn't take into account games like Cardiff where they have 20 fouls 0 cards and we have 3 fouls 2 yellows and a red.

Officiating at this level is poor all round so I'm not going to lose any sleep that we get something go our way for a change.

DazzleTommyDazzle

I have a degree of sympathy, but as far as this issue is concerned the game "went to pot" a long time ago.

I've been watching CIty since the late 60's and remember the antics of the likes of Francis Lee from all those years ago. A recall a home game v Man City in the early 70's with the West End chanting "Fall down Francis", whenever he had the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread