The Penalty (1 Viewer)

SlowerThanPlatt

Yeah it was a dive but silva morning about the ref getting everything wrong and ignoring the man handling for their goal mitrovic aggressive dissent and their second yellow challenges not punished pisses me off more. Live by the sword die by it. Would be proud of golden if he said sorry but don’t expect him to
Lol he’s not going to say sorry it’s part of the game. Only if he got sent off for it he’d apologise

Grendel

Based on this season and last we are whey down the list of shithousery in this league. We don’t time waste, roll around on the floor, get in the refs face etc. like most do. I think we have enough credit in the fair play bank for that dive.

We were midtable in the FFP league last year so we arent that innocent

Covkid1968#

I was sitting in block 1 and thought penalty straight away the ref has no slow motion replays so must have thought the same when players stay on their feet when Def pen they get nothing
Block 1 aswell… looked a pen… but wasn’t. Ref had to call it real time

slowpoke

Are we the only group of fans with a thread about was it or wasn’t it a penalty, after our Wednesday meltdown to give a performance like we did v Fulham one of the best teams in the division is all we should want to talk about.

ccfc1234

The Luton ref hasn’t learned the rules since he sent off McF last season either. Balances out over a season
The Luton ref was shocking and when he has overseen games I have watched not involving us, he has been poor. Surely a candidate to be relegated to lower divisions?

steve cooper

I think everyone thought it was a penalty on first viewing. Looked stonewall.

Can't blame the ref for that at all.
From this angle it looked a clear penalty, this is what the ref would have seen. From the front there was clearly no contact but if you are running flat out and someone sticks a leg out, what would you do?
The defender was stupid for giving the ref a decision to make.

godden.png

South West Sky Blue

The blame has to go to the assistant referee. He had a much better view of things than the ref.

There have been plenty of bad decisions in the championship again this season just look at Bournemouth’s penalty against Sheff United yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve attempted a very weak defence on another thread of Godden in that he jumped out the way of a kick that was coming his way after the ball had gone. Pretty weak though. Just thought I’d put in another view-point.
Don’t think you can blame the assistant referee though. Blame lies with Godden. Not seen it from him before and would be disappointed to see it again.

SlowerThanPlatt

I’ve attempted a very weak defence on another thread of Godden in that he jumped out the way of a kick that was coming his way after the ball had gone. Pretty weak though. Just thought I’d put in another view-point.
Don’t think you can blame the assistant referee though. Blame lies with Godden. Not seen it from him before and would be disappointed to see it again.
What, even if it won us another penalty?

Grendel

mcsheffrey did it all the time and he was a master at it and I wanted to see it again and again

slowpoke

Just look at the picture on post 45 had that not been given we’d all be up in arms. the rule simply says fouling or attempting to foul or words to that affect. Defender stuck his leg out with no chance of winning the ball. Ref 100% correct imo.

Brighton Sky Blue

Just look at the picture on post 45 had that not been given we’d all be up in arms. the rule simply says fouling or attempting to foul or words to that affect. Defender stuck his leg out with no chance of winning the ball. Ref 100% correct imo.

giphy.gif

JAM See

In real time, I'd probably given it as a penalty. But I can't be sure because I was still downstairs, finishing my pint.

Missed the first Vik goal and the penalty.

Saw Maatsen's beauty in real time though.

You really can't beat live football. Nothing comes close.

South West Sky Blue

What, even if it won us another penalty?
I think so, yes. I know I sound a little sanctimonious, pious and annoying. However would only be happy with this if we’d been shafted ourselves in the same game or by the same team in a previous game.
Wasn’t happy with Sterling in the Euros vs Denmark.
Sport should have some sportsmanship.

Brighton Sky Blue

I think so, yes. I know I sound a little sanctimonious, pious and annoying. However would only be happy with this if we’d been shafted ourselves in the same game or by the same team in a previous game.
Wasn’t happy with Sterling in the Euros vs Denmark.
Sport should have some sportsmanship.

giphy.gif

South West Sky Blue

mcsheffrey did it all the time and he was a master at it and I wanted to see it again and again
I understand the viewpoint. I can even agree with it at times. However I still can’t get my head around cheating, even though it’s almost part & parcel of the game.
I was the Ricoh around 8 years ago on a Tuesday night to see McSheffrey dive in the box against us for Scunthorpe. He got a few boos from a few thousand that night!

slowpoke

I understand the viewpoint. I can even agree with it at times. However I still can’t get my head around cheating, even though it’s almost part & parcel of the game.
I was the Ricoh around 8 years ago on a Tuesday night to see
McSheffrey dive in the box against us for Scunthorpe. He got a few boos from a few thousand that night!
Where they all sat with Slower than Platt by any chance ?

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Whilst we benefitted yesterday, let’s call it what is was ‘a dive’. Had it been given against us we would be furious and hammering the offending player.
My concern now is that refs will have taken notice and that they will think twice about awarding free kicks for what may be genuine fouls against Godden in future.
Just a thought…

The penalty that was given against us at Luton wasn’t even in the box, it evens up over the season. Look at the offside that was given against Gyokeres in the first half when he was in his own half and Fulham took the free kick in our half. The incompetence was consistent.

Grendel

The penalty that was given against us at Luton wasn’t even in the box, it evens up over the season. Look at the offside that was given against Gyokeres in the first half when he was in his own half and Fulham took the free kick in our half. The incompetence was consistent.

Oh dear

slowpoke

Apparently that is allowed now, was spoken about either on EFL Quest or Sky I never realised it had changed and seems odd to me. It is something to do with continuity of play and off-side is now the only indirect free-kick I didn’t know that. I’m still not sure that’s correct any current referees out there who can tell us.

Frostie

Apparently that is allowed now, was spoken about either on EFL Quest or Sky I never realised it had changed and seems odd to me. It is something to do with continuity of play and off-side is now the only indirect free-kick I didn’t know that. I’m still not sure that’s correct any current referees out there who can tell us.

No.

Evo1883

Whilst we benefitted yesterday, let’s call it what is was ‘a dive’. Had it been given against us we would be furious and hammering the offending player.
My concern now is that refs will have taken notice and that they will think twice about awarding free kicks for what may be genuine fouls against Godden in future.
Just a thought…

I would normally care , but after refs started giving pens outside the box I just feel like anything is game right now 😉

Long story short , I don't care , love the fact we shithoused them

steve cooper

If I'm correct a foul outside the box where the contact continues into the box is now deemed to be a penalty, so a foul outside the box where the player continues on and falls inside the box is not a penalty if the contact ended before he entered the box. Is this what you mean?

Frostie

Didn’t think it was but there’s that many rule changes around now I wasn’t sure. What about off-side free kicks can be taken in your opponents half is now allowed ?

Is correct as discussed at length on the match thread.

If I'm correct a foul outside the box where the contact continues into the box is now deemed to be a penalty, so a foul outside the box where the player continues on and falls inside the box is not a penalty if the contact ended before he entered the box. Is this what you mean?

Correct but think that's been the case for a while now. It's why you often see a defender cynically pulling an attacker's shirt but making sure they let go before they get in the area.
The JCS one vs Luton is a poor decision though, the only contact was clearly well outside the box.

Users who are viewing this thread