The official NFL Thread (1 Viewer)

Liquid Gold

Pats playing with the salary cap turned off.

Bill must have the faith in Newton to be going this far in on free agency.

tisza

They've brought a lot of D-Line help in including a couple of tackles they could be going big in the draft
Bought in run stuffers but they might add a 3 Tec in a QB-led division. Farley or Surtain fall then are a possibility if Gilmore goes.

tisza

Pats playing with the salary cap turned off.

Bill must have the faith in Newton to be going this far in on free agency.
Copying Brady and the Buccs :) build a team then plug in a QB. Possibly waiting for Jimmy G. Newton deal not that expensive if he isn't starting.

David O'Day

Bought in run stuffers but they might add a 3 Tec in a QB-led division. Farley or Surtain fall then are a possibility if Gilmore goes.

Maybe but they have a couple of seriously big Nose tackles so could be looking at a lot for 3-4 with the edges finally being in play.

They have never been elite at getting into the backfield from the DL and have always relied on coverage for their pressures and sacks.

Liquid Gold

WFT get their man in to help out Terry Mac. Samuel in on a 3 year deal.
Really pleased with that. Team is coming together very nicely. Give me a decent ILB, and some OL help and I think there’s a very good team there. Still need depth in the draft and there is always uncertainty without the web of the future there though.

tisza

So new TV deal sees teams move from around 255 million a year to around 320 million a year. Cap probably gets back on schedule next year around 210m but watch out for some ridiculous player deals coming up in next year's FA and beyond. That's why so many 1 year FA deals atm

Liquid Gold

So new TV deal sees teams move from around 255 million a year to around 320 million a year. Cap probably gets back on schedule next year around 210m but watch out for some ridiculous player deals coming up in next year's FA and beyond. That's why so many 1 year FA deals atm
I expected something like this when Jerry gave Dak his contract.

tisza

49ers paying a huge price to trade up to 3 - seems expensive if it's to get either Lance or Fields.
Dolphins also paying quite a big price to trade back up to 6 for which ever WR they are going for. Seems to take them out of trading for Watson - who (if he moves) is going to Jets or Panthers now.

tisza

Is anybody seriously going to pay the price for Watson with this controversy surrounding him?
Think he'll sit out if the NFL don't suspend him.
Now Miami are the team that can pay the biggest trade price next year if Tua doesn't work out.
Someone will take him - AP came back, Michael Vick got a job, boykin and others with legal issues involving crimes with women. Most of Watson's cases going away if he pays.

David O'Day

49ers paying a huge price to trade up to 3 - seems expensive if it's to get either Lance or Fields.
Dolphins also paying quite a big price to trade back up to 6 for which ever WR they are going for. Seems to take them out of trading for Watson - who (if he moves) is going to Jets or Panthers now.

If the Jets go for a QB they will be drafting Wilson.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Now Miami are the team that can pay the biggest trade price next year if Tua doesn't work out.
Someone will take him - AP came back, Michael Vick got a job, boykin and others with legal issues involving crimes with women. Most of Watson's cases going away if he pays.

When you look at some of the people that have been re-employed after crimes and yet Kaepernick never has been for kneeling down...

tisza

When you look at some of the people that have been re-employed after crimes and yet Kaepernick never has been for kneeling down...
Kaepernick probably sabotaged his last chance at getting back into the NFL when he "messed" around with that workout.
49ers were going to cut him even before the kneeling and him opting out. Worst graded QB in 2015, 23rd out of 30 2016.
So starting jobs weren't likely but have been occasions when teams have needed a QB mid-season to end of season when he was probably an improvement on what they started.eg Packers 2017, WFT 2018??
NFL decided he was bad for business. Players (NFLPA in particular) paid lip service to his situation but never really pushed it. Boycotts never got off the ground.
You have to wonder if it had been one (or more) of the star players at the time would it have been approached differently - probably no-one would be cutting/not employing Aaron Donald, Russell Wilson, Julio Jones, Khalil Mack etc in 2016/17.

tisza

If the Jets go for a QB they will be drafting Wilson.
Interesting position for the Jets.
Given the price 49ers paid they could take a massive haul to give another team the chance of Wilson at 2. They have been telling their FA signings that they are going with Darnold.
Maybe 49ers believe they can get Wilson at 3 if Jets aren't going QB- that would explain their move as it's a huge price for probably Lance.

Liquid Gold

Kaepernick probably sabotaged his last chance at getting back into the NFL when he "messed" around with that workout.
49ers were going to cut him even before the kneeling and him opting out. Worst graded QB in 2015, 23rd out of 30 2016.
So starting jobs weren't likely but have been occasions when teams have needed a QB mid-season to end of season when he was probably an improvement on what they started.eg Packers 2017, WFT 2018??
NFL decided he was bad for business. Players (NFLPA in particular) paid lip service to his situation but never really pushed it. Boycotts never got off the ground.
You have to wonder if it had been one (or more) of the star players at the time would it have been approached differently - probably no-one would be cutting/not employing Aaron Donald, Russell Wilson, Julio Jones, Khalil Mack etc in 2016/17.
Washington got a guy in mid season who was working out at his old high school. Kaepernick should definitely have had a backup job somewhere.

Plenty of players coming back after bad controversies but not trying away multiple first round picks and starters for them.

David O'Day

Interesting position for the Jets.
Given the price 49ers paid they could take a massive haul to give another team the chance of Wilson at 2. They have been telling their FA signings that they are going with Darnold.
Maybe 49ers believe they can get Wilson at 3 if Jets aren't going QB- that would explain their move as it's a huge price for probably Lance.

It's a stupid price for anyone who isn't Lawrence. You'd be mad to give up even more for a chance at Wilson. But yes if I was the Jets i'd go with Darnold as with teh right weapons he could still be servicable at least

tisza

It's a stupid price for anyone who isn't Lawrence. You'd be mad to give up even more for a chance at Wilson. But yes if I was the Jets i'd go with Darnold as with teh right weapons he could still be servicable at least
Still think there should be question marks over Wilson. It was a very weak schedule behind a dominant O line against very little in the way of quality pass rush. Struggled the previous season against better opposition. Any QB should look good on pro days as there is no pressure or coverage for them to deal with - just throwing the ball.
Still think there's something of the "Mayfields" about him when pundits settle on a player and drive them up the draft. Mayfield is a good QB when a system has been created for him but hasn't been a No 1 pick franchise QB so far.
But teams are desperate for that good (not necessarily elite) QB because of the rookie contract. a first round QB will cost between 6 and 9 million per year for 4 years - that's what the market is paying mediocre QBs per year. Joe Burrow will cost the Bengals 36 million over his contract - less than Cowboys are paying Prescott for a year. In a cap system it's massive.

rob9872

Look at Miami trades. Next few seasons will be very exciting times ahead finally. Go Fins!

tisza

So Darnold to Panthers means Wilson for the Jets, 49ers overpaid for Jones or Lance.
Surprisingly high price for Darnold but a bargain if it works out.

tisza

Another player heading trouble. "Unfortunately" Vikings CB Gladney this time - if accusations are true then needs cutting and jailing.

tisza

Safe to assume Chiefs put their SB defeat down to O line. That's some major investment completed this week with Brown trade. Interesting stat Mahomes ran nearly 500 yards in Superbowl but only 33 of them ahead of the line of scrimmage :)

Just 5 days to draft when Zimmer will piss off most Vikings fans again by going defense - despite losing his best O line player and spending all the FA money on defense.

tisza

I really want Trey Lance but I know we’re not going to get him. Solid LB or OL please.
Lance probably won't get past 49ers at 3 . Do they take Jones or hope someone trades up for him so they don't have to decide? 2022 QB draft is not going to be deep.
Seeing LB and Tackles being mocked to WFT. 2 high LBs will be Parsons (probably 1st defender off the board) and JOK from Notre Dame.
Several good tackles should be about at 19 but Sewell, Darrisaw and probably Slater will be gone by then - might not even reach us at 14 and we're desperate for one.
So many gambles in this year's 1st round with players who opted out, have only one good season behind them or have injury issues

tisza

As usual the mock draft experts hit about 35-40%.
Happy with Darrisaw even though Zimmer wanted defense (Paye or Phillips) - not the happiest of press conferences. Vikings went after Fields but didn't want to give up next year's first.

Some teams reached as usual - few surprises Leatherwood, Stokes, Davis over JOK, Broncos not taking a QB - maybe still hanging in for a deal for Watson or maybe the unhappy Rodgers :)

Liquid Gold

I’m surprised fields fell so far and it didn’t take too much to go and get him for the Bears.

I actually laughed when 49ers took Lance, they were never going to have traded 3 1sts for Mac, him ending up in NE is probably the perfect fit to make it work though.

Not unhappy with Davis, if anybody knows linebackers it’s Rivera and Del Rio. Would have taken the fields trade but I’m getting behind the idea of having a complete roster and slotting in your qb at the end of it. We won the division last year and have improved all over the ball this free agency.

Look at those starters on defence now. Be hard pressed to find a better unit and will allow Fitz to sling it next year knowing he will get the ball back a lot.

Last edited:

Liquid Gold

Fields at 11 and Jones at 15 are very good value

SF massively overpaid for Lance and I'm not sure Wilson is a no.2 pick

Pitts at 4 is my best value pick
Jones had a really weird draft cycle. He was valued as a second day pick at best at the beginning then shot out of nowhere and kept rising the boards to end up as a top 3 pick then settled back down to mid first round.

I think Lance is going to be a terrific player but I think he was probably a stretch at 3 and they could have picked him up a few picks later and cheaper, if you know he's your guy though you go and get him.

Fields is fantastic value at 11, my only worry is will Nagy ruin him in an attempt to save his job. The slightest hitch and he'll get the 'OSU bust QB' tag too.

I'm not sure on Wilson either, very good season and great pro day but small school and not great before last season. Could be Joe Burrow or could be Sam Darnold.

tisza

I’m surprised fields fell so far and it didn’t take too much to go and get him for the Bears.

I actually laughed when 49ers took Lance, they were never going to have traded 3 1sts for Mac, him ending up in NE is probably the perfect fit to make it work though.

Not unhappy with Davis, if anybody knows linebackers it’s Rivera and Del Rio. Would have taken the fields trade but I’m getting behind the idea of having a complete roster and slotting in your qb at the end of it. We won the division last year and have improved all over the ball this free agency.

Look at those starters on defence now. Be hard pressed to find a better unit and will allow Fitz to sling it next year knowing he will get the ball back a lot.
Like Davis but think JOK was a better option. Like the way your defense has been 2 years in the making. Fitz will be okay. Bit early to judge 2022 QB class but should be less demand next season unless some of these rookie QBs are complete busts. Vikings will be looking.

Users who are viewing this thread