The official NFL Thread (12 Viewers)

Liquid Gold

Good game but a good example about the differences between certain match official groups - nearly 30 flags!!
Yeah agreed. Both teams had reasons to be aggravated.

I'm not sure about the pass interference that lead to the winning field goal but then Vegas would have won it in normal time if not for a mad false start call.

tisza

Yeah agreed. Both teams had reasons to be aggravated.

I'm not sure about the pass interference that lead to the winning field goal but then Vegas would have won it in normal time if not for a mad false start call.
It's the defensive pass interference ones that are really inconsistent.
And it's such a game changer. One of the reasons for the Buccs success last season was the huge number of DPIs they got as a combined result of scheme & the Brady factor - 27 vs league average of 9.

Liquid Gold

Another entertaining game but one with way too many flags.

Feels like they throw pass interference for any little contact even when imitated by the receiver.

Skybluefaz

I went to bed at the end of the 3rd quarter. Quite glad I didn't see it through to the end after they buggered up the 2 point conversion then the flag on the onside kick recovery. Reckon I'd have been in tears/breaking shit.

Liquid Gold

I went to bed at the end of the 3rd quarter. Quite glad I didn't see it through to the end after they buggered up the 2 point conversion then the flag on the onside kick recovery. Reckon I'd have been in tears/breaking shit.
I went to sleep following the kick return for 2 so I know how you feel

tisza

Another garbage coaching performance from Zimmer. 8 starters missing on defense but take the lead by applying pressure to Goff. Then just sit back and let Lions move downfield - using the clock rather than playing defense - and costs us the game.

Liquid Gold

Another garbage coaching performance from Zimmer. 8 starters missing on defense but take the lead by applying pressure to Goff. Then just sit back and let Lions move downfield - using the clock rather than playing defense - and costs us the game.
Losing to the Lions is baaad.

Feel like they need to hit the reset there now. Cousins has to be gone when you can get out of that contract and Zimmer will probably have to leave.

I knew Jarred Goff was bad in LA but this bad is beyond belief.

tisza

It's an attritional season. Vikings missing 10 starters tonight, lose another 2 during the game and then have to play Thursday. But someone's got to take a bullet for the lack of quality in the backups - poor drafting, poor positional coaches????????????????? Fire everyone :)

rob9872

Miami 6 and 7 now, Tua time came a bit too late for this term, but winning streak of 5, watch out for us next season (feel like I say this every year, but got genuine belief now).

tisza

Miami 6 and 7 now, Tua time came a bit too late for this term, but winning streak of 5, watch out for us next season (feel like I say this every year, but got genuine belief now).
That O line just needed to build its experience - very new. Plus changing the passing scheme has taken the pressure of Tua.

Liquid Gold

As a Washington fan I have to thank Miami for paying us to have Erik Flowers for free this year. The guy just fits in our system for some reason.

tisza

Losing to the Lions is baaad.

Feel like they need to hit the reset there now. Cousins has to be gone when you can get out of that contract and Zimmer will probably have to leave.

I knew Jarred Goff was bad in LA but this bad is beyond belief.
Yep reset time.
Zimmer is gone - may not even make end of season if Thursday is a mess against the Steelers.
Went for 3 2 pt conversions against Lions when there was no need to. Lions would have had to score just to force OT. Had Goff all over the place when under pressure and that was with all the normal pass rushers being unavailable but let Lions walk down the field in the minute. last play of the game dropped 8 but put no-one on the goal line - inexcusable!!!
This team has a tendency to start some games too slow - particularly Bengals & Lions twice. It's like they've been sent out having been told it's an easy win and you just have to turn up. But it's still a team that with the talent could have been 9-3, 10-2. Hasn't lost a game by more than one score.
Cousins still puts on pretty fantasy numbers but if O line is slightly off he crumbles. Cap hit next year is horrendous but where do they find a replacement? Is Mond going to be any good? Don't like any QB in this year's draft atm.
Injuries have been to key players rather than back ups which makes it seem fates are against Zimmer. Also it's 38 draft picks in 3 years but too many are just roster fillers or gone already.
Passive ownership doesn't help - been satisfied with a wildcard every other season.
Zimmer has never had a bad season 7-9 his worst in 9 years. But he just can't beat teams with a winning record -16-39 is just poor.

Liquid Gold

Yep reset time.
Zimmer is gone - may not even make end of season if Thursday is a mess against the Steelers.
Went for 3 2 pt conversions against Lions when there was no need to. Lions would have had to score just to force OT. Had Goff all over the place when under pressure and that was with all the normal pass rushers being unavailable but let Lions walk down the field in the minute. last play of the game dropped 8 but put no-one on the goal line - inexcusable!!!
This team has a tendency to start some games too slow - particularly Bengals & Lions twice. It's like they've been sent out having been told it's an easy win and you just have to turn up. But it's still a team that with the talent could have been 9-3, 10-2. Hasn't lost a game by more than one score.
Cousins still puts on pretty fantasy numbers but if O line is slightly off he crumbles. Cap hit next year is horrendous but where do they find a replacement? Is Mond going to be any good? Don't like any QB in this year's draft atm.
Injuries have been to key players rather than back ups which makes it seem fates are against Zimmer. Also it's 38 draft picks in 3 years but too many are just roster fillers or gone already.
Passive ownership doesn't help - been satisfied with a wildcard every other season.
Zimmer has never had a bad season 7-9 his worst in 9 years. But he just can't beat teams with a winning record -16-39 is just poor.
Just sounds like the typical malaise you hit when your window closes.

I didn't know the HC's record against winning teams was as bad as the QB's.

I can see why they got Cousins in tbh, getting to the conference game it just seemed like they needed that one piece under centre to go all the way but it has disintegrated since then as he can't drag the team with him.

tisza

Just sounds like the typical malaise you hit when your window closes.

I didn't know the HC's record against winning teams was as bad as the QB's.

I can see why they got Cousins in tbh, getting to the conference game it just seemed like they needed that one piece under centre to go all the way but it has disintegrated since then as he can't drag the team with him.
Never going to knock them for bringing in Cousins as a good QB seemed to be the last piece of the puzzle.
What I've always railed against was the contract extension. Extending an already large contract (particularly a non-elite QB) to create cap space always effects the rest of the roster in the end. Look at the medicine the Rams have had to take after extending Goff.
Bills going to find this out when Allen gets extended and why I don't see Mayfield getting paid (stefanski saw what happened with Kirk)
Cousins still highly divisive amongst Vikings fans - those who are convinced his fantasy stats make him elite and those who think he is a selfish overpaid drain on the team.

Liquid Gold

Never going to knock them for bringing in Cousins as a good QB seemed to be the last piece of the puzzle.
What I've always railed against was the contract extension. Extending an already large contract (particularly a non-elite QB) to create cap space always effects the rest of the roster in the end. Look at the medicine the Rams have had to take after extending Goff.
Bills going to find this out when Allen gets extended and why I don't see Mayfield getting paid (stefanski saw what happened with Kirk)
Cousins still highly divisive amongst Vikings fans - those who are convinced his fantasy stats make him elite and those who think he is a selfish overpaid drain on the team.
Was the same discussion in Washington.

I wonder if we'll get to a time where teams just move on from QBs after rookie contracts and they settle back down a bit because they must realise paying so much for one guy is killing your team.

TBH it's probably an owner led decision about merchandise.

tisza

Was the same discussion in Washington.

I wonder if we'll get to a time where teams just move on from QBs after rookie contracts and they settle back down a bit because they must realise paying so much for one guy is killing your team.

TBH it's probably an owner led decision about merchandise.
Problem is you get a year like this one where the draft is really thin on QBs. Don't think there's a genuine 1st round talent there but 3 or 4 will get taken as teams are desperate. Hopefully someone will be desperate enough to trade for Cousins - possibly Panthers, broncos. Then we rebuild with a new HC and QB - still a lot of talent on the roster.

What's creeping under the radar a bit is how much salaries are growing in other positions - pass rushers, corners, tackles money growing at a faster rate than QBs. Becoming like basketball where top 2 or 3 players in each team paid 60-70% of the money and rosters padded out with cheap players on short term deals.

As I said I reckon Bills will pay Allen and lose good players, Browns won't pay Mayfield and will keep their good players.

tisza

Typical Vikings performance. Nearly blow a 29 point lead through dreadful defense and poor play calling.
Cook extraordinary performance. Cousins one of his poorer games.
Flag happy refs killing things.
Still a team that cannot put together 4 quarters of football.
But Zimmer probably managed to delay his firing until the end of the season. The defensive guru tag taking a beating though

tisza

More and more NFL becoming about which teams can stay the healthiest - not just COVID cases.
But full credit to the Saints for beating the Buccs with a garbage QB and no offense . Panthers showing how important having a kicker really is - kind of surprising (with the attention to detail NFL teams normally show) that there isn't someone that can at least attempt field goals / extra points.

Users who are viewing this thread