The holiday 2023 thread (2 Viewers)

NorthernWisdom

Is Canterbury really expensive? I’ve no idea but I loved staying there when I had work in Kent
Worst B&B I've ever stayed in was Canterbury. Decided it was more hygeinic to sleep on the duvet, rather than under it, and to avoid the shower!

Also skipped breakfast when I saw great globules of sweat dripping from the cook's... beard and popping as it hit the layers of fat that everything was being fried in.

Otis

Worst B&B I've ever stayed in was Canterbury. Decided it was more hygeinic to sleep on the duvet, rather than under it, and to avoid the shower!

Also skipped breakfast when I saw great globules of sweat dripping from the cook's... beard and popping as it hit the layers of fat that everything was being fried in.
I had no idea they fried things in Canterbury.

wingy

Bet they could tell a tale or two

Sick Boy

It's not too bad actually, but apparently the traffic is awful and it's getting worse. Big new development of housing taking place and everyone is worried it's going to make it so much worse.

We both love Canterbury. Such a lovely feel to the place.
What about somewhere like Ramsgate, would that be more affordable?

Otis

What about somewhere like Ramsgate, would that be more affordable?
Yes, definitely.

We have quite the balance to be made. My missus's daughter is 18 and works at Deloitte in central London and she is looking for a fast train route into London, while at the same time, my missus and I are looking to move closer to the sea. 😂

Ramsgate is cheaper, but the journey time is too long.

Really hard to get the right balance. Rochester is nice, but next door, Strood, is horrible. Only 34 mins into London though.

I think my missus needs to temper her desire a little because she wants 4 bedrooms (currently has 3), 4 bathrooms (actually already has 4), a good size garden, fast train to London, close to the sea and with decent parking. 😂

And for under 400k

In Kent!!!

😂

Grendel

Yes, definitely.

We have quite the balance to be made. My missus's daughter is 18 and works at Deloitte in central London and she is looking for a fast train route into London, while at the same time, my missus and I are looking to move closer to the sea. 😂

Ramsgate is cheaper, but the journey time is too long.

Really hard to get the right balance. Rochester is nice, but next door, Strood, is horrible. Only 34 mins into London though.

I think my missus needs to temper her desire a little because she wants 4 bedrooms (currently has 3), 4 bathrooms (actually already has 4), a good size garden, fast train to London, close to the sea and with decent parking. 😂

And for under 400k

In Kent!!!

😂

You need to get astute on the case - he’d get 2 houses for that

jordan210

If anyone is going to Florida and is confused to hell with Disney. Happy to help out where I can. So just PM me.

Kneeza

Isn’t Lake Garda getting a reputation for being absolutely rammed in the high season? Don't think I'd fancy it much in the moho, although I'd like to go.

ajsccfc

We went in September last time and it was more peaceful than most places I've been to, most people was during the day in Verona and even then I wouldn't say it was particularly busy apart from the main swanky shopping street. Hoping it hasn't changed too much since, water level aside at least

CJ_covblaze

Lanzarote in May. Woolacombe in July. Malta, North Macedonia, somewhere for Ukraine (probably Poland) and Italy on England trips. Back to Italy for the Ryder Cup. Maybe France for the World Cup.

Astute

You need to get astute on the case - he’d get 2 houses for that
Only 2? Would get 5 of what I'm presently buying with cash left over. We have the 4 bedrooms but only 2 bathrooms. But we do also have an extension which will be made into a place for visitors. Could have a chateau with acres of land for that much.

Would struggle on the coast for that much though. And not far away.

But as usual you missed the fine details. Time from London 😂

Last edited:

Astute

Astute Estates. 🤔

Does kind of have a nice ring to it doesn't it.
Not me. Worked on average 70 to 80 hours a week all the way through Covid to make sure our plant kept running. Need a break. The only work I'll be doing is for charity or for the local commune.

My 21 year old daughter is considering being an estate agent though. Speaks 5 languages now. Or going into HR.

Astute

Going around Lake Garda in August, we last went in 2015 or so and loved it. (Also bought a Verona shirt that I ended up selling for profit on ebay so watch out club shop, here I come)
One of our pre season games in Italy was high up a mountain overlooking Lake Garda. Looks fantastic and I have the Lake District on my doorstep. Not been yet though. Will be going either this year or next.

Otis

Not me. Worked on average 70 to 80 hours a week all the way through Covid to make sure our plant kept running. Need a break. The only work I'll be doing is for charity or for the local commune.

My 21 year old daughter is considering being an estate agent though. Speaks 5 languages now. Or going into HR.
Hate to be the bringer of bad news, but they pulled it down in 2006.

Sick Boy

Isn’t Lake Garda getting a reputation for being absolutely rammed in the high season? Don't think I'd fancy it much in the moho, although I'd like to go.
Yeah, around the main holiday periods it’s a nightmare…even driving by the area on the motorway can add an extra hour or two on to a journey.

Kneeza

Yeah, around the main holiday periods it’s a nightmare…even driving by the area on the motorway can add an extra hour or two on to a journey.
Precisely what I'd heard, and why I won't be venturing down from the very north of Italy. Even in May!

Kneeza

What sort of motorhome do you have?

The trip you have planned sounds brilliant.
It's a two-berth fixed bed Weinsberg (not common here, but saw quite a few in France and Spain last year. V popular in Germany as you get a Knaus van for less cash). Based on a Series 8 Fiat Ducato 140.
It's classed as a 'compact' but still too big for car park barriers and many car park bays unless you can hang its arse end over a grass area and get the rear wheels right back to the kerb. 6.7m long with quite a bit of rear overhang.
We can off-grid pretty much as much as we like to with 230a of lithium battery, 400w of solar, 30a mppt, 30a dc-dc, and a 2kw inverter (all added by ourselves as the standard 12v system in most mohos is pathetic).
'er indoors loves her hair dryer, air fryer etc - probably summat else that rhymes too 😉

ajsccfc

One of our pre season games in Italy was high up a mountain overlooking Lake Garda. Looks fantastic and I have the Lake District on my doorstep. Not been yet though. Will be going either this year or next.

Malcesine is where we stayed last time, I've been to uglier places

It had the cable car up Monte Baldo so you get the full view and it's nicely positioned to visit the various places around the lake, probably my favourite holiday

Attachments

• malcesine-veneto-hd.jpg
    malcesine-veneto-hd.jpg
    692.4 KB · Views: 7

Kneeza

Malcesine is where we stayed last time, I've been to uglier places

It had the cable car up Monte Baldo so you get the full view and it's nicely positioned to visit the various places around the lake, probably my favourite holiday
Looks just like the area around the Stadium of Light.

CJ_covblaze

IMG_6468.jpeg
This was the view from the club house. Lost 3-0 to Chievo.

SkyBlueSoul

Long weekends in Paris last week and Rome in a couple of weeks time for Six Nations games, with the spare days for sightseeing. Same again in Lille in October for the rugby world cup

Brighton Sky Blue

Anyone going to Italy, well worth diverting to San Marino for a few days. Genuinely one of the most stunning places I have ever been, and with reduced tax in most places.

CJ_covblaze

Where was that played? I assume it was near Riva del Garda?
No idea. All I remember was having to run up a hill to make kick off.

greys4life

Big birthday this year so was planning either back to India or poss a tour of Vietnam, Cambodia but now we're looking for a cottage somewhere Norfolk, Shropshire, Derby way with a fully enclosed garden, also looking to do more in the caravan, how things change :)🐶

Astute

No idea. All I remember was having to run up a hill to make kick off.
I had to keep going up the grass bank where the toilets were as my little boy kept needing it throughout the first half. But that was where the best views were so wasn't all bad.

Sick Boy

Went to Sicily in October and it was absolutely terrible. Palermo and Catania are two of the worst cities I have ever been to. Some of the smaller resorts are fine, but we stayed quite a bit in the busier places and they are ridiculously dirty and shit.
Catania isn’t great but I really like Palermo - where else did you go? There are some unbelievably beautiful places in Sicily.

Users who are viewing this thread