The holiday 2023 thread (4 Viewers)

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Looking at a 4 day trip at the end of may before half term, some great prices for Krakow, Bucharest and Istanbul.
Any views or comments from visitors? Thinking the sombre tours of krakow, or the Dracula castle in Bucharest or just the vibrancy and east/west split of Istanbul.

fernandopartridge

Looking at a 4 day trip at the end of may before half term, some great prices for Krakow, Bucharest and Istanbul.
Any views or comments from visitors? Thinking the sombre tours of krakow, or the Dracula castle in Bucharest or just the vibrancy and east/west split of Istanbul.

I've been to Krakow which I thought was a lovely city, never been to the other two but heard great things about both.

LastGarrison

I’ve been to Bucharest probably 20 times over the last 10 years for work and I really like it.

Has loads of history, particularly around Ceausescu and the Palace of Parliament, has a great Old Town with plenty of restaurants (Caru cu Bere is a sort of rite of passage as a traditional restaurant and is definitely worth a visit) and bars (and nightclubs and strip clubs if that’s your thing), food and drink is cheap and English is widely spoken. Oh it also has Uber so you don’t get ripped off in a taxi to and from the airport!

Hotels are plentiful and I highly recommend the Radisson Blu which is probably my favourite hotel I’ve ever stayed in but can be pricey but if not there are plenty of other options. (The Novotel is really nice as well).

Bran Castle, which is worth a visit for a couple of hours and you can have your picture taken with Dracula in a coffin etc., is quite far outside of Bucharest and is nearer Brasov, which is a cool little city surrounded by mountains and is also worth a visit!

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Krakow is really good. Cheap, women are unbelievably beautiful, and it's got some good culture too. Think I've been there three times now and every visit was brilliant.

Bucharest is alright for a weekend but I wouldn't really leave the old town. LG has
seemingly been there a lot and can probably tell you more, but from my experience it was pretty average. Some of the guys I went there with were a bit un-streetwise and it felt like they were getting into trouble every 5 minutes. Would still recommend it if you've never visited it though.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I’ve been to Bucharest probably 20 times over the last 10 years for work and I really like it.

Has loads of history, particularly around Ceausescu and the Palace of Parliament, has a great Old Town with plenty of restaurants (Caru cu Bere is a sort of rite of passage as a traditional restaurant and is definitely worth a visit) and bars (and nightclubs and strip clubs if that’s your thing), food and drink is cheap and English is widely spoken. Oh it also has Uber so you don’t get ripped off in a taxi to and from the airport!

Hotels are plentiful and I highly recommend the Radisson Blu which is probably my favourite hotel I’ve ever stayed in but can be pricey but if not there are plenty of other options. (The Novotel is really nice as well).

Bran Castle, which is worth a visit for a couple of hours and you can have your picture taken with Dracula in a coffin etc., is quite far outside of Bucharest and is nearer Brasov, which is a cool little city surrounded by mountains and is also worth a visit!

I was there about four/five years ago and one of my mates had a later flight than us. We had already gone out and he sent us a screenshot on Google maps whilst he was in the taxi to come meet us, saying he was concerned. The city (as I'm sure you'll know) is due south of the airport, and there is one road linking the two. The driver had come out and headed north...

Hertsccfc

Anyone recommend any nice campsites on North Spanish coast roughly near Bilbao?
Went to Bilbao recently. Don't know about campsites but the small town of Plentzia on the coast was nice and it might be worth checking if there is one there. It is about 45 minutes from Bilbao on the metro. I suspect it would be a good base to explore the area.

LastGarrison

Krakow is really good. Cheap, women are unbelievably beautiful, and it's got some good culture too. Think I've been there three times now and every visit was brilliant.

Bucharest is alright for a weekend but I wouldn't really leave the old town. LG has
seemingly been there a lot and can probably tell you more, but from my experience it was pretty average. Some of the guys I went there with were a bit un-streetwise and it felt like they were getting into trouble every 5 minutes. Would still recommend it if you've never visited it though.
Yeah I could well be biased as I’ve had some great times there and have always been with a mixture of locals and Brits.

I do like Romania on the whole though and have been fortunate to travel to quite a few different cities and there’s always something different to see and do in each of them and I do feel it goes a little under the radar in terms of tourism.

Poland is also a great country to visit but I’ve only ever done one night in Krakow and most of my time has been spent in Warsaw (another city well worth a visit BTW) so I’m not best placed to comment but is is on my list to return to, although I have heard excellent things about Wrocław so that’s also on the list!

Marty

Poland is an amazing country to visit, somewhere we're looking to retire too eventually. Have a look at the tricity area in the north, Gdansk, Gdynia and Sopot. All beautiful sea-side towns offering something different. Honestly, I was shocked at home nice Poland is, it makes the UK look third world.

LastGarrison

Poland is an amazing country to visit, somewhere we're looking to retire too eventually. Have a look at the tricity area in the north, Gdansk, Gdynia and Sopot. All beautiful sea-side towns offering something different. Honestly, I was shocked at home nice Poland is, it makes the UK look third world.
First place I ever flew into was Bydgoszcz and then my client drove us up to each of those cities and as you say a really nice place.

Few of my mates have also been skiing in Zakopane in the South and they absolutely loved it!

A really diverse and friendly country. And more importantly, great vodka. 😂

Marty

First place I ever flew into was Bydgoszcz and then my client drove us up to each of those cities and as you say a really nice place.

Few of my mates have also been skiing in Zakopane in the South and they absolutely loved it!

A really diverse and friendly country. And more importantly, great vodka. 😂

We're going skiing in Zakopane this winter, looking forward to it and cheap as anything, the missus is originally from Gdynia and has family in Poznan, Krakow and Wroclaw and my grandparents were from Poznan and Warsaw. So it costs us next to nothing to get around Poland.

ProfessorbyGrace

If I can gather the necessary coinage, it’s a whistle stop tour of the west coast of Norway, whereafter I medically need to take the Flam railway and see the Northern Lights. Preferably whilst gazing enigmatically at the Fjords…

cstring82

Krakow is a great place, did the tour to auschwitz, massively hungover so don’t make that mistake!
Been to Bucharest, nice enough but wouldn’t rave about it personally, did do a day of driving to Draculas Castle and where Wednesdays is shot which was good.

LastGarrison

Me and the Missus love a random northern UK city break (done Leeds, Doncaster, Liverpool, Manchester, Wakefield etc.) and this months venture is Kingston upon Hull for three nights. 😆

It’s always had the reputation of being a bit of a shit hole but from what I can see online it actually looks pretty smart and quite a few decent restaurants and pubs.

Anyone been and got any recommendations? Anywhere else local worth a visit?

NorthernWisdom

Me and the Missus love a random northern UK city break (done Leeds, Doncaster, Liverpool, Manchester, Wakefield etc.) and this months venture is Kingston upon Hull for three nights. 😆

It’s always had the reputation of being a bit of a shit hole but from what I can see online it actually looks pretty smart and quite a few decent restaurants and pubs.

I don't, but I just wanted to say Doncaster is an... unusual choice.

Nearly as eccentric as our family holiday to Keighley...

clint van damme

I recommend you get a good divorce lawyer if you keep 'treating' your missus to trip to the likes of Hull , Wakefield and Doncaster.

Bertola

Drove through on the way to the game earlier in the season. The bits we saw looked rough as.

Had a few beers in Beverley before hand, and that was lovely

LastGarrison

Drove through on the way to the game earlier in the season. The bits we saw looked rough as.

Had a few beers in Beverley before hand, and that was lovely
Beverley is where I was reading for a day trip to but didn't seem to be that much going on outside of the racecourse.

I reckon we'll probably pay it a visit though.

LastGarrison

Can also recommend:

Carlisle
Scarborough
Preston
Harrogate

Unsurprisingly I think the weather makes a big difference to these places but all actually quite good for couples.
Wasn’t a fan of Scarborough, but the weather was shit, and loved Harrogate.

Never really thought about Preston or Carlisle, I’ll have a look at them. 👍

I wouldn’t recommend Huddersfield but would recommend Halifax.

Brighton Sky Blue

May as well do Middlesbrough while you're at your eccentric breaks.

And tbf, the area outside is lovely - Saltburn, North Yorks Moors etc.

Have to say, I thought it a shithole! Used to go out with a lass from Preston...

Stayed there a few times, was pleasantly surprised. Good curries I recall

Users who are viewing this thread