The holiday 2023 thread (7 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

Yes, definitely.

We have quite the balance to be made. My missus's daughter is 18 and works at Deloitte in central London and she is looking for a fast train route into London, while at the same time, my missus and I are looking to move closer to the sea. 😂

Ramsgate is cheaper, but the journey time is too long.

Really hard to get the right balance. Rochester is nice, but next door, Strood, is horrible. Only 34 mins into London though.

I think my missus needs to temper her desire a little because she wants 4 bedrooms (currently has 3), 4 bathrooms (actually already has 4), a good size garden, fast train to London, close to the sea and with decent parking. 😂

And for under 400k

In Kent!!!

😂

Gillingham?

Hertsccfc

Went to Sicily in October and it was absolutely terrible. Palermo and Catania are two of the worst cities I have ever been to. Some of the smaller resorts are fine, but we stayed quite a bit in the busier places and they are ridiculously dirty and shit.
I went to Sicily a few years ago and thought it was great. Yes Catania has nothing of note but I liked Palermo. Agrigento, Syracuse and Taomina (although ridiculously expensive) were all good and Etna is stunning.

Sick Boy

San Vito Lo Capo is one of the best beaches in Europe - the best parts of the island are very much off the radar of UK tourists.

CJ_covblaze

I had to keep going up the grass bank where the toilets were as my little boy kept needing it throughout the first half. But that was where the best views were so wasn't all bad.
Remember Ryan Haynes’ clearance?

skyblueinBaku

A week in the New Forest in May. 5 days in Porto in June. A week in my caravan in Aberdovey in July and then 2 weeks in the Dominican Republic in September. Hope to have a week in the sun in November abw.
September is right in the middle of hurricane season. Good luck.

skyblueinBaku

A week in the New Forest in May. 5 days in Porto in June. A week in my caravan in Aberdovey in July and then 2 weeks in the Dominican Republic in September. Hope to have a week in the sun in November abw.
September is right in the middle of hurricane season in DR. Good luck!

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Looking similar next year. Who did you book with or fully independent ?
We looked through TourRadar and selected BravoIndochina. Flying back today, I am sure we could arrange and do most things ourselves but not as easily in the 21 days we did. Everything was on time, all transport etc brilliant and although it says we could be in groups of up to 10, we have been pretty much on 1-2-1 tours with the guides the whole time.
Absolutely wouldn’t fault the company or the tours.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Ditto. Did Disney World & Disney Cruise in February. Takes a lot more planning these days compared to when we went pre-pandemic.
Same, went last Xmas and been lucky to have been a few times, heading back for quick break just before Christmas this year, whilst a lot has changed, the biggest is the hike in prices

JAM See

lisbon, UK, tazmania, adelaide, gold coast so far, korea in a couple of weeks.

Won't tell you the rest of the year...it's not great for building rapport :ROFLMAO::oops:
Just back from Lisbon. Cracking place, but very fucking hilly, with mad traffic.

Some poor fucker had my ST for the Stoke game while I was necking Super Bock on the front.

Kneeza

Bloody cold last night in Ingelheim (on the Rheingau, near Mainz). Pyjamas, socks, and fleece top on in bed. Nearly resorted to a hot water bottle!
Much colder than the previous three nights in Bernkastel/Mosel.
Slightly warmer tonight here just east of Heidelberg on the Neckar river, plus we're on a hookup for a change so have set the leccy heating to give a trickle of warmth.
Luxury!
Solar performing well too, with the battery staying close to 100% most of the time so far despite using the air fryer, induction hob, etc. although obvs not an issue today anyway with mains power coming in.

fernandopartridge

Bloody cold last night in Ingelheim (on the Rheingau, near Mainz). Pyjamas, socks, and fleece top on in bed. Nearly resorted to a hot water bottle!
Much colder than the previous three nights in Bernkastel/Mosel.
Slightly warmer tonight here just east of Heidelberg on the Neckar river, plus we're on a hookup for a change so have set the leccy heating to give a trickle of warmth.
Luxury!
Solar performing well too, with the battery staying close to 100% most of the time so far despite using the air fryer, induction hob, etc. although obvs not an issue today anyway with mains power coming in.
Are you on a touring holiday?

dutchman

Ramsgate is cheaper, but the journey time is too long.
I kid you not, Ramsgate once had a railway station on the beach!

I only discovered it when examining old maps.

It was accessed via tunnel drilled through the cliffs which has had several other uses since the tracks were lifted including as an air raid shelter in WW2.

Kneeza

Are you on a touring holiday?
Just touring mate. Life's one long holiday since retiring 13 years ago 😉
3500 miles through France and Spain last autumn, so we thought it about time!
Was hoping for slightly more settled weather, but it should improve.
Full blue skies at the mo though, and the river is sparkling in front of me as I drink me cuppa by the van.

JAM See

There next weekend, any recommendations or places to avoid?
Nothing to avoid.
Edit: The Beer Museum is a rip off. Nice glasses but overpriced. Avoid.

Go to the big Jesus.

If you get time, have half a day in Sintra. Only five euros on the train.

I always do the open top bus tour on the first day of any city break. It shows you the city and gives pointers to where you can try for further exploration.

Those custard pastries that Portugal is famous for? Fill yer boots, the hype is justified.

Last edited:

Nuskyblue

Nothing to avoid.
Edit: The Beer Museum is a rip off. Nice glasses but overpriced. Avoid.

Go to the big Jesus.

If you get time, have half a day in Sintra. Only five euros on the train.

I always do the open top bus tour.

Those custard pastries that Portugal is famous for? Fill yer boots, the hype is justified.
Mmm pastels de natas or whatever they are called 🤤 🤤 🤤 🤤 🤤

JAM See

They're brilliant, the ones you get over here are nowhere near as good
I was talking about this with the GLW over the weekend.

If poxy Krispy Kreme donuts can become a thing, I reckon there's a gap in the market for some young entrepreneur to exploit with those beautiful Portuguese pastries.

Nuskyblue

If poxy Krispy Kreme donuts can become a thing, I reckon there's a gap in the market for some young entrepreneur to exploit with those beautiful Portuguese pastries.
They sold par baked ones in lidl at one time, they weren't hald half bad. I think they have them in Nandos as well... they certainly used to years ago.

My mouth is literally watering

fernandopartridge

Actually TBF there is a little place in the Arndale market in Manchester that does them and they are very good, the mass produced ones aren't

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I've never heard of these things before, but I'm going to have to get some now!

Kneeza

We've made it down to the blue Danube now, at Donauwörth on the Romantische Straße.
Quite how Beck thought it was blue when he described it as such in his poem - or Strauss' waltz too, later - I have no idea. Brown. Decidedly brown.
Donauwörth, however, is quite beautiful, and well worth a look if in the area. So nice in fact we've decided to stay a second night in the free (shoulda been 7€ pn, but the machine's busted. Result.) aire/stellplatz right at the confluence of the aforementioned river, and another one beginning with W (can't remember the name). Ten minutes stroll to the town centre too.
It'd be rude to move on.

Users who are viewing this thread