The Gigs Thread (1 Viewer)

Mcbean

Went to see King Crimson at Symphony hall in Brum last night- what a crap place to get to ! The gig was very interesting , quality sound as you would expect - 8 very competent musicians / 3 drummers who were excellent and created the only real activity during nearly 3 hours of music - they played all the well known ones - court of the crimson king , epitaph, and schizoid Man - the rest was challenging and contained many small aspects of music you could recognise in for example Lazy Deep Purple and Pinks Floyds umma gumma concept - it was loud and some an assault on the eardrums - trivia fact Robert Fripp is married to Toyah Wilcox and is a very odd character ! 2018-11-06 22.41.11 (Medium).jpg

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Are they still doing the roadworks by the library? Were doing them last when Linkin Park were on but thought they'd have finished by now?

It's usually a piece of piss to get to if you go by train - out of Grand Central (New St) towards Corp St, left up New St to Victoria Square then follow the road round to the left. Having said that I'm still getting used to the new station layout - still seem to choose the wrong exit somehow.

Mcbean

Roadworks everywhere - getting home to South of Stratford in the same night impossible by train - and by bus i would have to set out the day before - Rick Wakeman at Evesham on Sunday - will drive , park for free

King of the Lesbians

Slaves in Nottingham last night.
Drummer/singer wasn't drumming as he'd fucked his hand up a few days ago so was really weird to see him prowing about on stage.
Shutdown, Cheer Up London, Chokehold & The Hunter were insane!
Support was from Lady Bird, a punk trio who I don't really know but they we're pretty fucking good and will deffo be catching them again in March.
3 bands but only the first lot had a bass player.
We're a dying breed...

clint van damme

Slaves in Nottingham last night.
Drummer/singer wasn't drumming as he'd fucked his hand up a few days ago so was really weird to see him prowing about on stage.
Shutdown, Cheer Up London, Chokehold & The Hunter were insane!
Support was from Lady Bird, a punk trio who I don't really know but they we're pretty fucking good and will deffo be catching them again in March.
3 bands but only the first lot had a bass player.
We're a dying breed...

Slaves are a cracking live band!
Seen them in Brum and the police were outside warning people that a ring of thieves were following them and there had been loads of phones and wallet thefts in the mosh pit.
I thanked the officer but assured him that at my age my days in the mosh pit were well and truly over.

CJ_covblaze

King of the Lesbians

Seen them in Brum and the police were outside warning people that a ring of thieves were following them and there had been loads of phones and wallet thefts in the mosh pit.
I thanked the officer but assured him that at my age my days in the mosh pit were well and truly over.
Lol. I said to myself before I went in that I would stay well back and leave the kids to it.
Couple of pints later that plan went to shit!
Strangely, nobody seemed interested in my Nokia 3310...

LastGarrison

Saw them at Godiva a couple of years back and they were class.

Got a few of their songs on my playlist and came across sound when they were on SoccerAm recently.

Covstu

Got back from shine on weekend in minehead, top weekend reliving the 90s musical era with shed seven, sleeper, OCS, Peter hook, orbital, blue tones, space. Such a top weekend but now need to detox!

CJ_covblaze

David Guetta announced as Sunday's headliner for the two day festival at the Ricoh. Good start!

chiefdave

David Guetta announced as Sunday's headliner for the two day festival at the Ricoh. Good start!
Amazes me the council will grant a license for an event like that at the Ricoh given what happened at Outbreak. Any other venue in the city would be closed down.

Can't see it going well, they couldn't control the crowd behaviour at Rhianna or that MTV event, they've got no chance at this.

Covstu

What happened?
Amazes me the council will grant a license for an event like that at the Ricoh given what happened at Outbreak. Any other venue in the city would be closed down.

Can't see it going well, they couldn't control the crowd behaviour at Rhianna or that MTV event, they've got no chance at this.

CJ_covblaze

Tickets go on sale today for Reading and Leeds. Might go to Leeds. Can watch all the good acts and get home in time for my Sunday roast Stages

CJ_covblaze

Not planning on being there long then :woot:

The 1975, Foo Fighters and Bastille. Certainly better than this year’s effort.

ccfctommy

Mogwai last friday at a place called The Mill in Digbeth.

Brilliant. Second time seeing them. Ears were ringing for a solid day afterwards though.

oucho

Anyone going to the StepBack 80s concert at the Ricoh, Saturday before Xmas??? Bananarama headlining, also includes Tony Hadley (Spandau Ballet), Go West, Bonnie Tyler, ABC, Chesney Hawkes

Apologies if this is further up this thread, haven't look up the whole way.

oscillatewildly

SMASH IT UP!
This isn't a call for insurrection or even mild civil disobedience, that said a 3-0 thrashing is enough to make even the meekest and timid amongst us want to raise their voice randomly in public.
I digress. The reason for my contribution to this particular thread is a 'heads up' (doh, hate management speak) for the Damned gig down at the Empire, this Friday 30th.
Seen em loads over the last 30 odd years but never in Cov!
Get down there, they won't be around for ever.

clint van damme

SMASH IT UP!
This isn't a call for insurrection or even mild civil disobedience, that said a 3-0 thrashing is enough to make even the meekest and timid amongst us want to raise their voice randomly in public.
I digress. The reason for my contribution to this particular thread is a 'heads up' (doh, hate management speak) for the Damned gig down at the Empire, this Friday 30th.
Seen em loads over the last 30 odd years but never in Cov!
Get down there, they won't be around for ever.

They played in Cov the night we beat then champions Everton 4-1 on the last day to stay up. What a day!

clint van damme

Missed both - Was 8000 miles away at the time. Think there was a rail strike on anyway.
Right, where's me red beret and shades?
See you down the front, clint?

if you had told me a few years ago that the Damned would be playing in Cov and I wasn't going I'd have said you were mad but that's where I find myself today mate!
Got a busy weekend DIY and ordering a new bathroom so sobriety is essential!!
Have a great night.

Covstu

Anyone going to the StepBack 80s concert at the Ricoh, Saturday before Xmas??? Bananarama headlining, also includes Tony Hadley (Spandau Ballet), Go West, Bonnie Tyler, ABC, Chesney Hawkes

Apologies if this is further up this thread, haven't look up the whole way.
Nope but human league on Saturday night though!

Adge

Well I’ve got my Spice Girls and Bon Jovi tickets.:emoji_thumbsup:

oucho

Off to see Deacon Blue in Brighton on Wednesday!

LastGarrison

This SoundScape weekend next summer, had I completely missed the build up/initial announcement because the first I’ve heard of it was when they announced David Guetta.

Contemplating getting tickets for the Indie day just because of how good the Radio 1 was which I bought without any line up announcements but never heard of this before.

Anyone heard of any rumours as to who will be playing?

CJ_covblaze

This SoundScape weekend next summer, had I completely missed the build up/initial announcement because the first I’ve heard of it was when they announced David Guetta.

Contemplating getting tickets for the Indie day just because of how good the Radio 1 was which I bought without any line up announcements but never heard of this before.

Anyone heard of any rumours as to who will be playing?

Hoping for Bastille. Wouldn’t mind seeing the Wombats again too. They’ve said the final act to be announced for Sunday is “one of the biggest artists in UK history”. Calvin Harris? Chase & Status?

clint van damme

Got tickets for Chemical Brothers next April too!

wheres that? Saw tickets on sale yesterday for a tour in November.
Credit cards took a bit of a battering recently otherwise I'd have got tickets. Hoping they'll still be available in a month or so though unlikely. Top live act great light show.

Covstu

wheres that? Saw tickets on sale yesterday for a tour in November.
Credit cards took a bit of a battering recently otherwise I'd have got tickets. Hoping they'll still be available in a month or so though unlikely. Top live act great light show.
It’s at the arena in Brum (not sure which one this actually is now!) in November

Users who are viewing this thread