The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (58 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wingy

Covid will have played a part, but that'd work in both directions and even out - swings and roundabouts. Any drop in our exports would be matched in a drop in our imports. When you look at non-EU it's roughly equal - about 9%. But our exports to the EU have dropped by a huge amount compared to our imports - 38% compared to 16%. That therefore isn't likely to be Covid related and the most reasonable explanation is Brexit.
Heavily skewed with Germany indivially.

CCFCSteve

In the interest of balance the US has ended it’s trade war with EU countries ex and otherwise. So the reality is that had we still been in the EU that tariff would have been lifted anyway so it has nothing to do with Brexit and everything to do with the end of Trumps presidency.

Touché ! I honestly hadn’t seen that. Will be interesting to see what happens at end of suspension

Mucca Mad Boys

Covid will have played a part, but that'd work in both directions and even out - swings and roundabouts. Any drop in our exports would be matched in a drop in our imports. When you look at non-EU it's roughly equal - about 9%. But our exports to the EU have dropped by a huge amount compared to our imports - 38% compared to 16%. That therefore isn't likely to be Covid related and the most reasonable explanation is Brexit.

One of the main reasons imports from the EU has held up is because we're holding off on introducing safety & security and GVMS on EU imports. Additional paperwork that has held up an operational I oversee.

The Government has (rightly) held off on introducing this when it planned to in July. In my experience, EU exporters aren't much more prepared than UK exporters.

jimmyhillsfanclub

In my experience, EU exporters aren't much more prepared than UK exporters.

Yep...my experience too...less so from certain nations.

For example, I've received several consignments from the same supplier in Germany but its currently pot luck if they actually ship it on CPT or DDP terms, even though its coming from the same warehouse with the same carrier to the same customer.........just tick the same fucking box please...its not Raketenwissenschaft

skybluetony176

Yep...my experience too...less so from certain nations.

For example, I've received several consignments from the same supplier in Germany but its currently pot luck if they actually ship it on CPT or DDP terms, even though its coming from the same warehouse with the same carrier to the same customer.........just tick the same fucking box please...its not Raketenwissenschaft
Isn’t that your own fault though. I do international purchasing and it’s up to me to agree incoterms as the purchaser and then state those terms on my purchase order.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Isn’t that your own fault though. I do international purchasing and it’s up to me to agree incoterms as the purchaser and then state those terms on my purchase order.

Not my fault. I do the above. Their OA even confirms the correct terms.
Then they randomly switch between terms for no apparent reason when producing the commercial invoice.
It'll get sorted.....just a bit surprised they haven't resolved it yet......"a system issue" they reckon.

CCFCSteve

Going well isn't it?

Think the Jan figures were discussed a couple of pages back and most agreed that as it was the first month of trading with new paperwork (which caused both delays and led to many importers/exporters not risking getting stuck at port), the fact that companies had stockpiled in autumn/winter not knowing if there was going to be a trade deal or not, and then the small matter of Covid (impacting both the immediate demand of certain but also causing further issues due to testing requirements), the comparison probably wasn’t the most fair/accurate....that’s Adonis though, nothing of not persistent

If people would rather focus on that rather than the EU/EU members conduct on the immediate life and death matter (both for EU and UK citizens) of vaccines, so be it.

ps There is no doubt trade will be impacted in the short term but I’d be shocked if it’s anywhere near those figures. We’ll only really know once we edge towards normality (hopefully) in the coming months

clint van damme

Think the Jan figures were discussed a couple of pages back and most agreed that as it was the first month of trading with new paperwork (which caused both delays and led to many importers/exporters not risking getting stuck at port), the fact that companies had stockpiled in autumn/winter not knowing if there was going to be a trade deal or not, and then the small matter of Covid (impacting both the immediate demand of certain but also causing further issues due to testing requirements), the comparison probably wasn’t the most fair/accurate....that’s Adonis though, nothing of not persistent

If people would rather focus on that rather than the EU/EU members conduct on the immediate life and death matter (both for EU and UK citizens) of vaccines, so be it.

ps There is no doubt trade will be impacted in the short term but I’d be shocked if it’s anywhere near those figures. We’ll only really know once we edge towards normality (hopefully) in the coming months

Some of us are capable of focusing on both Steve.
The EU have made a complete pigs ear of the vaccine roll out and seem to compound it daily with their threats and rhetoric.

The early signs of Brexit are its a shit show and many of the lead protagnists seem to have disappeared into the ether after promising us the moon on a stick.

How's that?!

CCFCSteve

Some of us are capable of focusing on both Steve.
The EU have made a complete pigs ear of the vaccine roll out and seem to compound it daily with their threats and rhetoric.

The early signs of Brexit are its a shit show and many of the lead protagnists seem to have disappeared into the ether after promising us the moon on a stick.

How's that?!

Bit soon to judge though Clint. If I was being argumentative (it’s Friday so the little grenade above is probably enough) Id say that the immediate project fear collapse of everything hasn’t happened either....however I also appreciate, it’s early days !

clint van damme

Bit soon to judge though Clint. If I was being argumentative (it’s Friday so the little grenade above is probably enough) Id say that the immediate project fear collapse of everything hasn’t happened either....however I also appreciate, it’s early days !

I'm sorry but it's not too soon.
I remember the quotes from Farage and Fox and Davis eulogising about the benefits we would see immediately, they haven't happened.
People are right to highlight it, the public have been lied to.

CCFCSteve

I'm sorry but it's not too soon.
I remember the quotes from Farage and Fox and Davis eulogising about the benefits we would see immediately, they haven't happened.
People are right to highlight it, the public have been lied to.

Within a couple of months, come on mate. As I said it works both ways. House prices were due to drop by 25%, stock market collapse, food shortages etc etc. Now I’m not saying longer term that there won’t be economic impacts but it’s way too early to judge. I just think people seem to apply strict judgement to support their side of the argument (and what was said) and not the other

Brighton Sky Blue

Within a couple of months, come on mate. As I said it works both ways. House prices were due to drop by 25%, stock market collapse, food shortages etc etc. Now I’m not saying longer term that there won’t be economic impacts but it’s way too early to judge. I just think people seem to apply strict judgement to support their side of the argument (and what was said) and not the other

I forecast the end of the union this decade as a consequence, not much to suggest I'll be wrong. Probably the most ironic thing to emerge from all the proceedings

CCFCSteve

I forecast the end of the union this decade as a consequence, not much to suggest I'll be wrong. Probably the most ironic thing to emerge from all the proceedings

It would be a shame (you know I’m a unionist) but ultimately we live in a democracy so if thats what countries want then whilst I don’t, so be it. Ireland was predicted to eventually become one due to birth rates and Scotland’s a 50/50. I’m not sure I could confidently say the EU will remain in its current form this decade either, what certain countries want (and are pushing for) does not work for all. The only reason it might stay in one piece won’t be through public opinion but it’s almost impossible for certain countries to leave

Brighton Sky Blue

It would be a shame (you know I’m a unionist) but ultimately we live in a democracy so if thats what countries want then whilst I don’t, so be it. Ireland was predicted to eventually become one due to birth rates and Scotland’s a 50/50. I’m not sure I could confidently say the EU will remain in its current form this decade either, what certain countries want (and are pushing for) does not work for all. The only reason it might stay in one piece won’t be through public opinion but it’s almost impossible for certain countries to leave

The union should trump Brexit and a vote for ‘British sovereignty’ is what will end the British state. We should only ever have come out if every nation agreed.

Last edited:

clint van damme

Liam Fox said there'd be 40 trade deals ready to sign the next day.
He didn't say in a couple of months.
David Davis said there would be no downside,not they'll become pain initially.

stupot07

The union should trump Brexit and a vote for ‘British sovereignty’ is what will end the British state. We should only ever have come out of every nation agreed.
I completely agree with this. We have devolution and separate parliaments, Brexit effects the 4 nations in different ways and all should have been on board to enact something like Brexit.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

skybluetony176

You should go to Northern Ireland, where there are food shortages, loss of choice and food price increases as a direct consequence of Brexit.

skybluetony176

The result of assembly elections next year could settle it. DUP are fucked, UUP aren’t picking up those votes the Alliance party are mainly and they’re by partisans. Sinn Fien aren’t making gains but the SDLP are and if they take control of the assembly then it’s a border poll. Simples.

Brighton Sky Blue

The result of assembly elections next year could settle it. DUP are fucked, UUP aren’t picking up those votes the Alliance party are mainly and they’re by partisans. Sinn Fien aren’t making gains but the SDLP are and if they take control of the assembly then it’s a border poll. Simples.

Yup. DUP and its dinosaurs have flapped it. The UUP seem to have their heads more screwed on but it's too little too late. Wave that Union Jack before it's a St George's cross

CCFCSteve

Liam Fox said there'd be 40 trade deals ready to sign the next day.
He didn't say in a couple of months.
David Davis said there would be no downside,not they'll become pain initially.

Maybe our recollections differ a bit (I sound like the queen !) but either way only a small minority voted leave for beneficial economic/trade reasons. While this was the main reason why people voted remain (quite rightly, concerns about the economic risks of leaving) it wasn’t the reason why people voted leave. So whatever Fox, Davis or whoever might’ve said, it had little bearing on the outcome. People were told consistently from the Remain side, if you vote leave there will be various negative economic connotations, yet a majority still voted that way.

Unfortunately, even now years later, that lack of understanding or even attempts to understand the leave vote surprises me (not talking about you personally Clint, but a significant number of remainers, politicians and media).

It’s why Brexit happened in the first place ie a focus on negative economic impact and not addressing people’s reasons for voting to leave (the Cameron government, the EU, prominent remainers, actually I could probably say nearly the whole political class all failed). It’s also why these ’shocks’ keep happening in recent elections or at least outcomes than many people can’t seem to understand. There is little voting empathy/listening, just one side trying to shout louder than the other, not appreciating or understanding others reasoning or concerns.

If the EU doesn’t change, the UK is unlikely to be the last leaver as significant proportions of public in European members states do not want a closer union. whether any/many can untangle themselves from it is a different matter though

CCFCSteve

The union should trump Brexit and a vote for ‘British sovereignty’ is what will end the British state. We should only ever have come out if every nation agreed.

Its hard to disagree with this in theory but it wasn’t how the vote was proposed or happened. Also, in practice does it mean that all of UK vote on individual nations independence referenda ? or what happens if an individual nation (ie Scotland) voted for independence a year or two after a generational vote to leave/remain in EU ?

ps I struggle to really argue/belated about the union side of things with you because as I’ve said a number of times before, the issues in NI and Scotland are the main two areas that bother me

Last edited:

clint van damme

Maybe our recollections differ a bit (I sound like the queen !) but either way only a small minority voted leave for beneficial economic/trade reasons. While this was the main reason why people voted remain (quite rightly, concerns about the economic risks of leaving) it wasn’t the reason why people voted leave. So whatever Fox, Davis or whoever might’ve said, it had little bearing on the outcome. People were told consistently from the Remain side, if you vote leave there will be various negative economic connotations, yet a majority still voted that way.

Unfortunately, even now years later, that lack of understanding or even attempts to understand the leave vote surprises me (not talking about you personally Clint, but a significant number of remainers, politicians and media).

It’s why Brexit happened in the first place ie a focus on negative economic impact and not addressing people’s reasons for voting to leave (the Cameron government, the EU, prominent remainers, actually I could probably say nearly the whole political class all failed). It’s also why these ’shocks’ keep happening in recent elections or at least outcomes than many people can’t seem to understand. There is little voting empathy/listening, just one side trying to shout louder than the other, not appreciating or understanding others reasoning or concerns.

If the EU doesn’t change, the UK is unlikely to be the last leaver as significant proportions of public in European members states do not want a closer union. whether any/many can untangle themselves from it is a different matter though

You're missing the point. Whatever the reason people voted leave, we were promised significant, and in some cases instant economic benefits by prominent leave figures some of whom are part of the current cabinet.

I expect them to deliver and will call them out if they don't.

We've gone from sunny uplands with no downside to we won't be the last to leave, its desperate stuff.

CCFCSteve

You're missing the point. Whatever the reason people voted leave, we were promised significant, and in some cases instant economic benefits by prominent leave figures some of whom are part of the current cabinet.

I expect them to deliver and will call them out if they don't.

We've gone from sunny uplands with no downside to we won't be the last to leave, its desperate stuff.

Feel free to hold them to account. However, you voted remain so ignored Davis, Fox etc. Im just saying for most people who voted leave it was pretty irrelevant what they said as well. A lot of leave voters recognised that there was likely to be at least a short term negative economic impact, the level of which would’ve be known (until trade deal agreed). They were consistently told throughout the campaign about impact on house prices, loss of jobs, food shortages etc etc and still voted leave

If trying to just explain that’s not why people voted to leave is ‘desperate stuff’ it kind of re-enforces my point (people don’t want to listen to the other sides point of view)

skybluetony176

You’re on a slippery slope there Steve. If you’re going to start eliminating the reasons people didn’t vote leave when that reason becomes obvious bullshit it isn’t going to be long before you get to the point where ultimately the only “legitimate” reason left for voting leave is racism.

NHS, thrown under the bus. Fishing, it wasn’t about that. Blue passports, always could have kept them/had them back. Bendy bananas, they always were. Trade, no one voted leave because of trade. At some point you’re going to be left with racism. We might not agree on Brexit Steve but you’re cleverer than this.

skybluetony176

Feel free to hold them to account. However, you voted remain so ignored Davis, Fox etc. Im just saying for most people who voted leave it was pretty irrelevant what they said as well. A lot of leave voters recognised that there was likely to be at least a short term negative economic impact, the level of which would’ve be known (until trade deal agreed). They were consistently told throughout the campaign about impact on house prices, loss of jobs, food shortages etc etc and still voted leave

If trying to just explain that’s not why people voted to leave is ‘desperate stuff’ it kind of re-enforces my point (people don’t want to listen to the other sides point of view)
So who did leave voters listen too? They’d had enough of the experts, they didn’t apparently listen to the charlatans. You’re on a slippery slope of listening to the racist only.

clint van damme

I didn't ignore them. I looked into their claims, and came to the conclusion they were talking utter bollocks.

But as they're fond of reminding us, they won. So now they need to deliver on their promises.

The fact some people who voted leave also realised they were taking bollocks about the economy doesn't let them off the hook as far as I'm concerned.

CCFCSteve

So who did leave voters listen too? They’d had enough of the experts, they didn’t apparently listen to the charlatans. You’re on a slippery slope of listening to the racist only.

Im not talking about who people listened to, I’m talking about the main reasons why people voted Leave.

If by ‘racism’ you mean the UK having better control of their own immigration policy, yes, that was one of the top three reasons. so was believing that in remaining we would have little control over closer union/expanding powers of EU and belief that political decisions should be made by UK government. I’m not debating whether people were right or wrong in these beliefs, I’m just explaining that economic upside (even longer term) wasn’t apparently anywhere near the top of Leave voters thoughts

skybluetony176

Im not talking about who people listened to, I’m talking about the main reasons why people voted Leave.

If by ‘racism’ you mean the UK having better control of their own immigration policy, yes, that was one of the top three reasons. so was believing that in remaining we would have little control over closer union/expanding powers of EU and belief that political decisions should be made by UK government. I’m not debating whether people were right or wrong in these beliefs, I’m just explaining that economic upside (even longer term) wasn’t apparently anywhere near the top of Leave voters thoughts
If people wanted more control on EU migration all they had to do was insist that our own sovereign governments upheld EU rules to the later. It was actually very disingenuous of David Cameron to renegotiate the rules when he/we wasn’t even observing the previous rules. Or maybe they should have just applied common sense and understood that the control was actually the economy. EU citizens were not coming here to “sponge of the system”, they were nett contributors to the system and drivers of the growth of the U.K. economy, something we’ve all reaped the benefits of. They were only coming here to fulfill jobs in a period where essentially the U.K. unemployment rate was zero. Stopping Johnny Foreigner coming over is racism and when you look at the facts stopping Johnny Foreigner is literally all you’re left with in wanting to “take back control” of our own immigration policy.
As for the rest I’ll just leave you this

Users who are viewing this thread