The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (53 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Evo1883

Yea I mean brexit voters get angry about silly things... But this is a belting thread PROVING beyond doubt some Brits love the EU that much they get agitated by anything British .. Fucking cakes, have a read 🤣🤣

Evo1883

From British wind to vomit inducing cake marketing.... I think its safe to say Britain has alot of basket cases 🤣

chiefdave

Yea I mean brexit voters get angry about silly things... But this is a belting thread PROVING beyond doubt some Brits love the EU that much they get agitated by anything British .. Fucking cakes, have a read 🤣🤣

Personally I've got more things to worry about than a limited edition run of cakes for London 2012.

PVA

What a bloody shambles. Not unexpected, but a shambles nonetheless.

It's almost as if (voluntarily) putting up massive trade barriers results in massive loss of trade.

But they knew what they were voting for, of course.

SBT

It's a crazy number, but as I've said before, it will take time to work out what the real impact of Brexit will be. The ONS themselves are saying we shouldn't read too much into this month's numbers, there are very unusual forces at play - pre-Brexit stockpiling and the lockdown means the numbers were always going to be scrambled.

skybluetony176

What a bloody shambles. Not unexpected, but a shambles nonetheless.

It's almost as if (voluntarily) putting up massive trade barriers results in massive loss of trade.

But they knew what they were voting for, of course.

Does this finally put an end to the myth that it will damage “them” more than it will damage us?

I see we’re also going to continue to wave through EU imports because the government are concerned about food shortages. So does this put an end to the myth that they need us more than we need them?

skybluetony176

It's a crazy number, but as I've said before, it will take time to work out what the real impact of Brexit will be. The ONS themselves are saying we shouldn't read too much into this month's numbers, there are very unusual forces at play - pre-Brexit stockpiling and the lockdown means the numbers were always going to be scrambled.
It’s the difference. The trade deficit with the EU has grown as a direct result of Brexit. That is now indisputable.

SG21

Does this finally put an end to the myth that it will damage “them” more than it will damage us?

I see we’re also going to continue to wave through EU imports because the government are concerned about food shortages. So does this put an end to the myth that they need us more than we need them?

Depends which world you live in. If you think the British empire can withstand everything because we're the best and we don't back down, then no. We'll be fine.

If you live in the real world however 😂

PVA

Still waiting for the German car makers and French wine makers to knock on our door.

What a fucking con.

Of course no one will admit to being conned, because no one likes to feel stupid.

chiefdave

Presume its Brexit that is causing issues for non-EU imports as well. Know a few distributors who are experiencing major delays getting vinyl imported from the US. Gets to the UK and sits in customs for months now.

skybluetony176

Presume its Brexit that is causing issues for non-EU imports as well. Know a few distributors who are experiencing major delays getting vinyl imported from the US. Gets to the UK and sits in customs for months now.
We’ve got people in the supply chain running out of all sorts of random stuff. These are suppliers who stockpiled towards the end of last year in many cases too and didn’t stockpile enough it seems. We’re being told things aren’t going to be available until April but they promptly expect to run straight out of stock again by the time they’ve serviced back orders.

Evo1883

Has COVID played absolutely zero role in these figures?
Business in general has just been terrible full stop hasn't it over the last year

Brexit and covid at the same time = double whammy really

Really shadey tweets these as these people already know what's making it worse

Last edited:

skybluetony176

Business in general has just been terrible full stop hasn't it over the last year

It’s bound to have played some part in the reduction of trade in both directions. However, it can’t explain the disparity between the figures. The trade deficit has grown and grown substantially and only one thing has substantially changed enough to explain that. Leaving the EU.

Evo1883

It’s bound to have played some part in the reduction of trade in both directions. However, it can’t explain the disparity between the figures. The trade deficit has grown and grown substantially and only one thing has substantially changed enough to explain that. Leaving the EU.
I mean, we left the EU properly and covid came about only a few weeks after. . That's rough on any country looking to work through a huge change..

skybluetony176

I mean, we left the EU properly and covid came about only a few weeks after. . That's rough on any country looking to work through a huge change..
As far as trade is concerned we only left this year when the transition period ended. Even then aspects of leaving are being phased in and that phasing in is now being delayed. Things are still going to get more complicated.

SG21

There was plenty of evidence. People just "had enough of experts" apparently. I look forward to those same people taking the advice of Barry who lives down the pub on how to cure covid using his impressive collection of beer mats as credentials.

shmmeee

There was plenty of evidence. People just "had enough of experts" apparently. I look forward to those same people taking the advice of Barry who lives down the pub on how to cure covid using his impressive collection of beer mats as credentials.

You joke, but we've literally had that. Or did you miss half of Twitter and that mental letter by Matt le Tissier and Anthea Turner?

skybluetony176

I see famous climate change denier John Redwood who once claimed that there’s no such thing as climate change because he still sees frost on his lawn in the winter is now so desperate to try and find a Brexit positive he’s promoting loosing VAT on products that help in fight against the climate change that he doesn’t believe in.

clint van damme

I see famous climate change denier John Redwood who once claimed that there’s no such thing as climate change because he still sees frost on his lawn in the winter is now so desperate to try and find a Brexit positive he’s promoting loosing VAT on products that help in fight against the climate change that he doesn’t believe in.

They're fucking incredible aren't they?
Another one who is wrong about pretty much everything apart from lining his own pockets

shmmeee

Why would it disproportionately impact both sides then?

See this is where my freedom of speech ideals are tested. He knows he’s speaking shite. We know he’s speaking shite. Same with the pandemic loons. Nonsense about the literal survival of the species should probably be exempt.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Covid will have played a part, but that'd work in both directions and even out - swings and roundabouts. Any drop in our exports would be matched in a drop in our imports. When you look at non-EU it's roughly equal - about 9%. But our exports to the EU have dropped by a huge amount compared to our imports - 38% compared to 16%. That therefore isn't likely to be Covid related and the most reasonable explanation is Brexit.

CCFCSteve

Agreed SBD. There's no doubt Brexit had an impact on Januarys figures (although GDP was actually better than forecast) in a couple of ways. firstly many companies increased imports/exports of non perishable products in Autumn/winter 2020, not knowing if a trade deal was going to happen or not. secondly, it was always going to messy in Jan as firms got used to new paperwork, as we know this caused a load of delays at port, these delays we’re further exacerbated by Covid testing requirements
...again leading to firms reducing imports/exports as they didn’t want to get caught up in it unless wholly necessary

I was on video conference last month and even by mid Feb many of the issues had been resolved and delays significantly reduced. Obviously the additional paperwork remains but companies are getting used to the new requirements. The logistics company on the call (Europa Worldwide) had indicated that already they were back to their expected number of cross border shipments and the time waiting at port had reduced significantly.

Will be interesting to see Feb and March figures and then when the world hopefully returns to some normality post Covid. I’d be shocked if those percentage reductions didn’t dramatically improve. But for people to make an assessment on post Brexit trade (Ben Bradshaw ‘Disastrous’) based on one months figures, in the middle of a pandemic, feels a little premature

ps not much mention of the negotiated suspension of additional US tariffs on Scottish whisky (which had cost the industry half a billion in sales in the last year or so) I see ?!. Had to at least put a tiny bit of balance back on the thread 😉

skybluetony176

Agreed SBD. There's no doubt Brexit had an impact on Januarys figures (although GDP was actually better than forecast) in a couple of ways. firstly many companies increased imports/exports of non perishable products in Autumn/winter 2020, not knowing if a trade deal was going to happen or not. secondly, it was always going to messy in Jan as firms got used to new paperwork, as we know this caused a load of delays at port, these delays we’re further exacerbated by Covid testing requirements
...again leading to firms reducing imports/exports as they didn’t want to get caught up in it unless wholly necessary

I was on video conference last month and even by mid Feb many of the issues had been resolved and delays significantly reduced. Obviously the additional paperwork remains but companies are getting used to the new requirements. The logistics company on the call (Europa Worldwide) had indicated that already they were back to their expected number of cross border shipments and the time waiting at port had reduced significantly.

Will be interesting to see Feb and March figures and then when the world hopefully returns to some normality post Covid. I’d be shocked if those percentage reductions didn’t dramatically improve. But for people to make an assessment on post Brexit trade (Ben Bradshaw ‘Disastrous’) based on one months figures, in the middle of a pandemic, feels a little premature

ps not much mention of the negotiated suspension of additional US tariffs on Scottish whisky (which had cost the industry half a billion in sales in the last year or so) I see ?!. Had to at least put a tiny bit of balance back on the thread 😉
In the interest of balance the US has ended it’s trade war with EU countries ex and otherwise. So the reality is that had we still been in the EU that tariff would have been lifted anyway so it has nothing to do with Brexit and everything to do with the end of Trumps presidency.

Users who are viewing this thread