The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (18 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chiefdave

On the plus side, Nissan are hanging around!
Good to have some positive news, although not entirely sure how its a result of Brexit.
The advantage comes because it is not reliant on batteries imported from east Asia, unlike many of its rivals. From 2027 all British and European carmakers will have to source batteries from either the UK or EU, as agreed in the Brexit deal, or face tariffs on their exports.
Doesn't that just mean those in the UK have to do the same as those in the EU? Or does he mean an advantage compared to crashing out with no deal.

Either way nice to have some good news for a change.

shmmeee

That is a plus because that would have been catastrophic for that region.

The fact they voted leave and put it at risk is baffling to me.

Im gonna go out on a limb and say Labour’s distancing itself from the working class meant they were desperate for representation and bought the lies of the first charlatan to offer it.

clint van damme

Im gonna go out on a limb and say Labour’s distancing itself from the working class meant they were desperate for representation and bought the lies of the first charlatan to offer it.

Any working man who buys into the myth that the Tories are looking out for his interests needs a serious word with himself. Though I know you're probably in agreement.
And I'll reiterate what I've said many times in this thread, that doesn't mean I think the EU are his bosom buddy but the far lesser of two neo liberal evils.

fernandopartridge

Any working man who buys into the myth that the Tories are looking out for his interests needs a serious word with himself. Though I know you're probably in agreement.
And I'll reiterate what I've said many times in this thread, that doesn't mean I think the EU are his bosom buddy but the far lesser of two neo liberal evils.
There is a big gap between being an EU member and where we are now.

We could have achieved relatively frictionless trade without being a member but the hard right fucked it.

The media hasn't helped at all with their simplism, journalists like Kuenssberg and Peston reporting like it's gossip rather than laying out the reality of the UK position.

Still, despite what will be increasingly shown to be a terrible deal, I suspect that a significant number of people will just dig in with their entrenched views and support for the govt, similar to the Tories on here in the face of 100k deaths from covid.

CCFCSteve

We could have achieved relatively frictionless trade without being a member but the hard right fucked it.

The media hasn't helped at all with their simplism, journalists like Kuenssberg and Peston reporting like it's gossip rather than laying out the reality of the UK position.

Still, despite what will be increasingly shown to be a terrible deal, I suspect that a significant number of people will just dig in with their entrenched views and support for the govt, similar to the Tories on here in the face of 100k deaths from covid.

From memory, May wanted a closer relationship/alignment and included commitment in her withdrawal agreement but ERG and DUP voted against it, as did a majority of labour/opposition.

Rather than accept what could be the least worst proposal (for remainers) the a majority of those in the opposition parties decided to go all out, for what, I’m not sure. Same as the EU, probably a bit of flexibility with May regarding NI/Ireland might’ve been enough at one stage (same as when Cameron went with his begging bowl). The end outcomes could have been very different

It’s easy to blame ERG (I’ve got no time for them, most appear to be a bit weird and seemed to want an ideological solution that was impossible to deliver) but throughout this there have been plenty of others able to influence the ultimate outcome. However, they also continued pushing for their own ideological solution/outcome, May ends up out the door (probably for the best as she was poor) and the power was given to Johnson and the harder Brexiteers, with most of the rest of the country just wanting it done and out the way.

Sometimes you’ve got to be careful what you wish for and accept a proposal even if it’s not what you ideally want, as it’s better than what might happen if you don’t.

Me, well my personal view for what it’s worth is that many of these initial bumps/issues will be resolved. What happens in the longer term, who knows. If you listen to James Obrien the country will turn shit, if you read recent CEBR forecasts we will be well ahead of France economy (as in 5/6th largest) in the coming years. I never really trust long term economic forecasts, way too many variables (especially in these strange times) so I just see that it’s up to all us to make the best of it.

Last edited:

shmmeee

From memory, May wanted a closer relationship/alignment and included commitment in her withdrawal agreement but ERG and DUP voted against it, as did a majority of labour/opposition.

Rather than accept what could be the least worst proposal (for remainers) the opposition decided to go all out, for what, I’m not sure. Same as the EU, probably a bit of flexibility with May regarding NI/Ireland might’ve been enough at one stage (same as when Cameron went with his begging bowl). The end outcomes could have been very different

It’s easy to blame ERG (I’ve got no time for them, most appear to be a bit weird and seemed to want an ideological solution that was impossible to deliver) but throughout this there have been plenty of others able to influence the ultimate outcome. However, they also continued pushing for their own ideological solution/outcome, May ends up out the door (probably for the best as she was poor) and the power was given to Johnson and the harder Brexiteers, with most of the rest of the country just wanting things done.

Sometimes you’ve got to be careful what you wish for and accept a proposal even if it’s not what you ideally want, as it’s better than what might happen if you don’t.

Me, well my personal view for what it’s worth is that many of these initial bumps/issues will be resolved. What happens in the longer term, who knows. If you listen to James Obrien the country will turn shit, if you read recent CEBR forecasts we will be well ahead of France economy in the coming years. I never really trust long term economic forecasts, way too many variables (especially in these strange times) so I just see that it’s up to all us to make the best of it.

Mays red lines always meant hard brexit or no Brexit. It wasn’t the opposition who decided that.

The inability for this government or its supporters to accept responsibility for governing is stunning. They’ve been in power for ten years. They’ve had a majority through all of that. It’s not anyone else’s fault what they choose to do.

CCFCSteve

Mays red lines always meant hard brexit or no Brexit. It wasn’t the opposition who decided that.

The inability for this government or its supporters to accept responsibility for governing is stunning. They’ve been in power for ten years. They’ve had a majority through all of that. It’s not anyone else’s fault what they choose to do.

Im not saying it’s other people’s fault, Im saying there has been plenty of chances to influence the end outcome

ps plenty of people from all political persuasions voted for Brexit, for many different reasons (inc from memory 35-40% of labour and SNP supporters). The fact that to this day there has been very little attempt to understand why many did is probably why there is still a huge divide on the subject

Edit - again from memory, it’s been a while ! Mays withdrawal agreement committed to close alignment to EU (EU read that as probably close to customs union) she just couldn’t get it through commons. I therefore view the final agreement as a harder Brexit

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Last bit isn't true.

2010-2015 was a coalition (albeit as the major partner)
May's govt didn't have an outright majority hence the £1bn DUP deal.

Mucca Mad Boys

Yes but leaving the EU didn't mean that we had to go down the ridiculous path we have. The lunatics have made Brexit to be only the hardest self punishment possible. Stupid stupid wankers. "Only 43%" of our trade as if it is a trivial number. For many sectors they export exclusively to the EU, they're all fucked.

Don’t quote me on “only 43%” because I never said that. Again, to reiterate the point that we do most of our trade outside the EU.

Business will learn what things they need to do to trade with the EU - the deal doesn’t stop trade.

Yes things will change. Stuff will cost more. That’s the “change” thats “people adapting”. Just calling it change and adaptation doesn’t change that. Stop avoiding that point. You aren’t a politician. Why do you think every nation on earth is working to reduce trade barriers especially to their neighbours?

Ive not mischaracterised your point, you don’t understand it yourself. You’re just spouting vague nonsense in hope.

same with “growth” “advancements”. It’s just bollocks. I don’t know if you’re just parroting something you’ve heard or genuinely believe it but it’s the words of charlatans.

Globalisation doesn’t change how long it takes to move things across the world FFS. Time sensitive stuff will always be better closer and it will always cost both in finance, time and global warming to ship shit across the planet. We are some way from teleportation even in the 21st century.

Again, no serious economist believes the crap you’re spouting. It fairytale nonsense told to people who don’t know better to make them feel better. Like Santa for kids.

“oh only half our trade” 😂😂😂😂

“smaller things are growing more than the large well developed relationship. Iamverysmartbutclearlydontunderstandthedifferencebetweengrowthandabsolutesize”😂😂😂

Fuck me I can’t believe people are still saying this shit with a straight face.

No, I work in logistics and can read trade statistics.

If 43% of our trade is with the EU, and declining... then surely it’s worth exploring closer trading ties with the remaining nations making up 57% of our trade?

In the context of globalisation, proximity is declining in importance. That is also basic economics. You seem to make these arguments with no sense of irony that your smartphone, PC/laptop and your clothing were all probably made in Asia rather than Europe.

The EU is obviously an important market, and it works both ways. But, there is also the possibility our supply chains will change. This because about half of our imports from the EU are not of EU (economic) origin* - so striking zero tariff deals with those nations will change the nature of our trade with Europe and globally.

I can tell you now that most international couriers can deliver a parcel to China, USA, Australia, Singapore, Canada and South Africa quicker than delivering to Eastern Europe, and similar transit time to Spain, Italy and Germany.

I’m not even for Brexit, but the debate has moved past whether we will stay in or not. To say there are opportunities for Post-Brexit Britain, frankly, shouldn’t really be a controversial thing. Besides, if it all goes tits up in the long run - there’s the option to rejoin.

*economic origin being where the goods was finished (where the label says it was made on clothes, for example)

Mucca Mad Boys

Just out of curiosity, how do you envision we’d maintain ‘fairly frictionless trade’ with the EU?

D

Deleted member 4439

Article on the Gunard yesterday that included a complaint from someone who had ordered something from a company called OnePiece. She was outraged at the fact that she was being asked to pay VAT and customs, as the website explicitly said that there would be no additional charge for VAT and customs. What does it actually say?

NO EXTRA CUSTOMS OR VAT ADDED. SHIPPED FROM INSIDE THE EU.

Admittedly, it's in very fine print, but people - keep up!

clint van damme

Rather than accept what could be the least worst proposal (for remainers) the a majority of those in the opposition parties decided to go all out, for what, I’m not sure. Same as the EU, probably a bit of flexibility with May regarding NI/Ireland might’ve been enough at one stage (same as when Cameron went with his begging bowl). The end outcomes could have been very different

It’s easy to blame ERG (I’ve got no time for them, most appear to be a bit weird and seemed to want an ideological solution that was impossible to deliver) but throughout this there have been plenty of others able to influence the ultimate outcome. However, they also continued pushing for their own ideological solution/outcome, May ends up out the door (probably for the best as she was poor) and the power was given to Johnson and the harder Brexiteers, with most of the rest of the country just wanting it done and out the way.

Me, well my personal view for what it’s worth is that many of these initial bumps/issues will be resolved. What happens in the longer term, who knows. If you listen to James Obrien the country will turn shit, if you read recent CEBR forecasts we will be well ahead of France economy (as in 5/6th largest) in the coming years. I never really trust long term economic forecasts, way too many variables (especially in these strange times) so I just see that it’s up to all us to make the best of it.

this fellas resolving his 'initial bump', he's moving his operation to France.

Grendel

this fellas resolving his 'initial bump', he's moving his operation to France.

Ah well

clint van damme

Ah well

That's good news, I'm sure the 61 million bung helped (which I don't begrudge at all if it means then staying).

But a business staying put doesn't really negate the problems surrounding the business in the article I linked or the problems being experienced by the fishing industry which was supposed to be sailing into a bright new dawn (excuse the pun).

Grendel

That's good news, I'm sure the 61 million bung helped (which I don't begrudge at all if it means then staying).

But a business staying put doesn't really negate the problems surrounding the business in the article I linked or the problems being experienced by the fishing industry which was supposed to be sailing into a bright new dawn (excuse the pun).

£61 million is a drop in the ocean in car terms. It was planning to exit all of Europe and Renault has been slashing jobs as well

In terms of balance it’s a clear boost for the uk automotive market

skybluetony176

Wasn’t fruit supposed to be get cheaper once we left the EU?

Last edited:

Sbarcher

Wasn’t fruit supposed to be get cheaper once we left the EU?
Oh no. All those additional costs on fruit and veg will now only let me afford Big Macs!

chiefdave

When things like this are presented as the benefits of Brexit I find it quite concerning. Its the same as when signing a continuation agreement, ie: continuing to have the same terms we had as an EU member, is flagged as a success for the government. Are the expectations for Brexit now so low that we are celebrating things being no worse than they were before?

We have people on here who work in the car industry, can they clarify how this is a benefit of Brexit? The article quoted says:
The advantage comes because it is not reliant on batteries imported from east Asia, unlike many of its rivals. From 2027 all British and European carmakers will have to source batteries from either the UK or EU, as agreed in the Brexit deal, or face tariffs on their exports.
Not sure how, from that, Nissan has a benefit by being in the UK over any other EU country.

Reactions: SBT

Skybluefaz

Users who are viewing this thread