The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (21 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skybluetony176

So in a few posts it's gone from will not be affected to having to change your carrier.

Maybe not the biggest headache in the world but an issue that had to be sorted that didn't otherwise.
In my experience DHL are by a long way the most expensive carrier going. So there’s bound to be a financial cost.

There’s also the point that if DPD are no longer doing EU shipments how much business are they losing? How many jobs will that cost?

stupot07

See the Tory press are going into overdrive with the 'It's all the EUs fault narrative.
And why not,.the fucking public will swallow it hook line and sinker
The level playing fields was part of the withdrawal agreement and political declaration Boris Johnson signed and lauded. Then he writes legislation to over ride it breaking international law. Then tries to make out the EU are mean for wanting level playing field.

Hes now saying that if we don't get a deal it will be fantastic for the UK.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sick Boy

The level playing fields was part of the withdrawal agreement and political declaration Boris Johnson signed and lauded. Then he writes legislation to over ride it breaking international law. Then tries to make out the EU are mean for wanting level playing field.

Hes now saying that if we don't get a deal it will be fantastic for the UK.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
...going on about an Australian deal is a joke as well, the guy is a fucking idiot.

clint van damme

What's the fucking obsession with fishing? It's a nats ball sack of our GDP?

The factory Honda are closing because of Brexit is probably worth more to the economy .

And even.portland bill and his mates are waking up to the fact no deal could fuck them over as well the stupid souwester wearing cunts

D

Deleted member 4439

Can't wait for Jan 1st and the EU 25% tariff (plus vat) to be removed from US goods. I have a Led Zep pinball on the way, to land Jan 1st onwards.

Liquid Gold

The factory Honda are closing because of Brexit is probably worth more to the economy .

And even.portland bill and his mates are waking up to the fact no deal could fuck them over as well the stupid souwester wearing cunts

I spend have of my time in west Cornwall these days and I only know about 5 fisherman and only 2 of them is in to brexit.

skybluetony176

The bit I don’t get is not agreeing to European standards. Boris has been saying for ages “we’ll have the best standards in the world, world beating, Carthago delenda est”.
So if we’re always going to surpass EU standards what’s the problem with agreeing to them?

Wait, my mistake. Boris said it. It’s bollocks. We’re lowering standards.

skybluetony176

Apart from in reality a lot of fish caught by British fisherman is exported to EU countries...I can’t think what the issue might be with no deal here....not to mention that British tastes are for fish that are exported from EU countries into Britain.
Then there’s the issue that British fishermen are loosing territory.

wingy

Should be some major fireworks displays this December 31st.
John Bull wall projections Land of hope and glory and all that.
Peels of bells,beacons lit etc etc .

skybluetony176

Fuck knows what English and Welsh fishermen are going to fish when Northern Ireland and Scotland fuck off leaving little England and Wales with a slither of water surrounding what’s left of the “United” ex Kingdom.

Astute

It has done my sanity great keeping away from this shitfest. Why did I have to look....

Can't be bothered to look through the thousands of posts I've missed. Would be the same thing over and over again. But can't resist a few comments from this page.

Astute

Apart from in reality a lot of fish caught by British fisherman is exported to EU countries...I can’t think what the issue might be with no deal here....not to mention that British tastes are for fish that are exported from EU countries into Britain.
We are told what we are allowed to catch. What we are allowed to catch is preferred in other countries.

What we prefer to eat is caught by other EU countries in our water. We have to pay for what is caught in our water. If we ever did regain control of our water we could catch what we want to eat. The other EU countries could catch what we were allowed to catch.

Astute

Because of Brexit? Are the other EU plants closing because of Brexit?

Astute

Remember when it was project fear to suggest that the EU assisted peace in Europe?

Well now brexiters wants us to send the Navy out to kill foreigners for trying to get our fishies.

Oh dear. Any proof?

Of course not. French fishermen are still attacking British fishing boats. They have never liked the fact that we can fish in their water yet forget that they catch many multiples of fish in UK water. The.EU as usual does nothing. So our fishing fleet could need protection.

So you think we will torpedo those who attack us?

Astute

And back to what I said a few years ago.

It will either be a last minute deal where the EU finally negotiates or something will happen again so we stay tied to the EU under mainly the present rules so they can continue to pressure us into remaining or giving up and letting the EU get what they want.

Forget Boris and his bullshit. We will not be gone completely without a deal. We will continue to trade the same if there isn't a deal. But Boris will make out it is a victory.

We won't be in. We won't be out. The EU wants our trade. Macron needs our fish. He has an election in 18 months. His only hope is to keep UK water for French fishermen. Macron and Merkel pull all the strings. Merkel won't want tariffs with the UK.

So either a late deal or another 6 months/year in limbo.

shmmeee

It will either be a last minute deal where the EU finally negotiates or something will happen again so we stay tied to the EU under mainly the present rules so they can continue to pressure us into remaining or giving up and letting the EU get what they want.

Forget Boris and his bullshit. We will not be gone completely without a deal. We will continue to trade the same if there isn't a deal. But Boris will make out it is a victory.

We won't be in. We won't be out. The EU wants our trade. Macron needs our fish. He has an election in 18 months. His only hope is to keep UK water for French fishermen. Macron and Merkel pull all the strings. Merkel won't want tariffs with the UK.

Delusional

skybluetony176

Wouldn’t trading the same be a deal?

clint van damme

Because of Brexit? Are the other EU plants closing because of Brexit?

I don't know but Swindon is.
If someone tries to blame something on Brexit that isn't Brexit fault I'll call it out.

Look at my comments on JLR. A lot of stuff surrounding them has been pinned on Brexit and I've said it's bollocks so I try to be objective.

clint van damme

It’s almost like small countries come off worse in trade negotiations with large blocks that stick together. If only we’d realised this in 2016!

🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️

Especially when the small country goes all in to save an industry that employs 24k people and contributes 0.1% to GDP at the expense of one that employs 2.7 million and contributes 11%.

shmmeee

Them or you?

If me then how about saying where you think that I am wrong. Not long to wait now.

OK

So one of two things is going to happen, either we no deal or we accept the regulatory divergence stuff (which we’d be insane not to, because worst case scenario is they do something we don’t like and we revert to where we are anyway). Neither of those are “the EU finally negotiating”. That’s delusional British exceptionalism that plagues these negotiations. We are a small country wanting access to a large market, the EU are just as sovereign as we are and can make whatever demands they like because they know we need it more. That’s just the nature of trade negotiations. That’s why small countries join into large blocks.

Neither is it us “staying tied to their rules”, if we break from their regulations, we simply go back to third country status WHICH IS WHERE WELL BE ANYWAY WITH NO DEAL. It’s pants on head crazy to shoot yourself in the foot now because in the future you may or may not have to shoot yourself in the foot.

Yes the EU is trying to get what they want, so are we. This is a trade negotiation. You’re parroting the divorced Dad rhetoric of the government. “Oh I’m going to leave and have the house to myself and see the kids every day” ... “What!? That bitch wants half the house and to take my kids away half the time!!?? How dare she??”. Other. People. Exist. As. Independent. Actors.

Forget Boris and his bullshit.

Would love to. Small matter of him being the PM precludes that however

We will not be gone completely without a deal.

I mean, the country will still exist. It will just be considerably poorer than it was. Every major economist (even the Brexit backing ones in the short to medium term) agrees on that. If you’ve evidence to the contrary I suggest you go pick up your Nobel Prize in Economics.

We will continue to trade the same if there isn't a deal.

I mean, no we won’t. That’s literally what no deal means. We will have to change how we trade across hundreds of industries and supply chains and it will cost a lot more to administer and in tariffs.

But Boris will make out it is a victory.

Johnsons entire shtick is making out everything is a victory.

We won't be in. We won't be out.

We’ve been out since January.

The EU wants our trade. Macron needs our fish. He has an election in 18 months. His only hope is to keep UK water for French fishermen. Macron and Merkel pull all the strings. Merkel won't want tariffs with the UK.

This is the fundamental British misunderstanding of how the EU works. It’s a block. It won’t be down to Macrons wishes alone and the block is stronger if they take a hard line against the British and make them come begging for a deal. Which we will if we go no deal.

No one wants tariffs with the U.K., but when you’ve got a negotiating partner not driven by pragmatism but magical thinking and press headlines you’ve got to draw a line. The U.K. government has been asking for unicorns since day one. It’s been repeatedly making statements that clearly show it doesn’t understand the basics of the EU or international trade. The EU are playing chess against a pigeon and whatever happens the pigeon is going to shit all over the board and strut about like it’s won.

If by limbo you mean economic chaos under no deal, agreed.

CCFCSteve

See the Tory press are going into overdrive with the 'It's all the EUs fault narrative.
And why not,.the fucking public will swallow it hook line and sinker

Good to hear you’re reading a variety of media Clint 😉

I know I’m preaching to the converted but its obviously not all the EUs fault...it’s been a shambles of a negotiation for the past 4 years with both sides at fault. The free trade deal is (should be) doable, we’re already aligned terms of rules/regs, we’ve apparently agreed to non regression clauses on environment and employment standards, state aid we’re far lower percentage of gdp than France, Germany etc and we’re a huge net importer so the financial impact of tariffs will be far greater for EU companies (and we will generate more in tariffs albeit, this will partially be borne by the U.K. consumers, some of which can be redirected to large exporters who will face high EU tariffs)

We all know there’s other stuff at play though. The government should have acknowledged/addressed this sooner. Ultimately the EU is a trading block, so understandably they will look to protect their own interests (although I think a no deal could cause huge ructions in the EU as there are a number of countries that heavily rely on us for trade, Ireland in particular)

I’ve always thought we should’ve properly planned for a no deal from day one and then hoped for the best in terms of the negotiations. Not because I want it, however, it appears the fundamentals make it more likely than it would first appear. That’s where the government has failed/is at fault in my eyes and unless something is pulled out the bag quickly, it will be a messy/disruptive 2021 (not what we need after/during Covid).

ps Still keeping fingers crossed for a deal but feels like it’s not currently edging that way

clint van damme

Good to hear you’re reading a variety of media Clint 😉

I know I’m preaching to the converted but its obviously not all the EUs fault...it’s been a shambles of a negotiation for the past 4 years with both sides at fault. The free trade deal is (should be) doable, we’re already aligned terms of rules/regs, we’ve apparently agreed to non regression clauses on environment and employment standards, state aid we’re far lower percentage of gdp than France, Germany etc and we’re a huge net importer so the financial impact of tariffs will be far greater for EU companies (and we will generate more in tariffs albeit, this will partially be borne by the U.K. consumers, some of which can be redirected to large exporters who will face high EU tariffs)

We all know there’s other stuff at play though. The government should have acknowledged/addressed this sooner. Ultimately the EU is a trading block, so understandably they will look to protect their own interests (although I think a no deal could cause huge ructions in the EU as there are a number of countries that heavily rely on us for trade, Ireland in particular)

I’ve always thought we should’ve properly planned for a no deal from day one and then hoped for the best in terms of the negotiations. Not because I want it, however, it appears the fundamentals make it more likely than it would first appear. That’s where the government has failed/is at fault in my eyes and unless something is pulled out the bag quickly, it will be a messy/disruptive 2021 (not what we need after/during Covid).

ps Still keeping fingers crossed for a deal but feels like it’s not currently edging that way

To be honest Steve my assessment of the statement by both companies regarding shut downs and closures wasn't based on the media it was based on dealings I've had with both companies.

Users who are viewing this thread