The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (18 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Grendel

Straw clutching how?

MPs would normally reside in London in expenses paid accommodation and can do so now if they wish - many shop workers bus drivers etc also go home I am sure to a vulnerable person so it’s not an excuse not to show anyway is it?

clint van damme

MPs would normally reside in London in expenses paid accommodation and can do so now if they wish - many shop workers bus drivers etc also go home I am sure to a vulnerable person so it’s not an excuse not to show anyway is it?

I would say it is and a bus driver with a vulnerable household member shouldn't be working though unlike our Mps he probably won't get paid if he doesn't.

It sounds like it was absolute chaos anyway

PVA

A lot was made in the Brexit campaign of taking back control and the sovereignty of parliament. In light of that would be interested in peoples thoughts on MPs unable to attended parliament due to the current coronavirus situation having their ability to vote removed. As well as reduced time for debating caused by the greatly increased voting time and limited access to debates due to restrictions on the number of MPs in the house.

Yet more hypocrisy from the Brexiteers.

Spend years bleating on about democracy, yet don't care when it suits them eg in this case, proroguing parliament etc

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Mps normally have second homes In London and stop there in the week - this really is straw clutching

Do you understand about the concept of them needing to shield themselves for health reasons or care for vulnerable relatives thus meaning they need to absolutely limit contact with others. So they can't just rock up and vote even if they live next door.

Reactions: PVA

Grendel

Do you understand about the concept of them needing to shield themselves for health reasons or care for vulnerable relatives thus meaning they need to absolutely limit contact with others. So they can't just rock up and vote even if they live next door.

If they don’t live in London they will be in a state funded accommodation? Also this will impact conservatives more than any other party?

clint van damme

If they don’t live in London they will be in a state funded accommodation? Also this will impact conservatives more than any other party?

Apparently a fair few Tories rebelled which means a lot of opposition MPs must have voted for it.

Grendel

How is that relevant?

It’s relevant as they are the dominant party in the commons. Big majority and holding the government to account is a boring cliche that means nothing

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Not sure why that is even relevant to the argument. And in any case not necessarily true. They could be isolating or caring for loved ones in privately owned property belong to them or the people they're caring for.

Just because Conservatives tend to be older doesn't mean other parties aren't also impacted by having parents/children they need to care for.

NorthernWisdom

Great news about the Nissan plant in Sunderland, obviously not so good for Barcelona.

Hopefully its all above board and isn't reliant on the government promising to cover the cost of any negative impact due to Brexit.
Nissan was offered secret state aid to cope with Brexit, minister concedes
The UK's largest car manufacturing plant is "unsustainable" if the UK leaves the European Union without a trade deal, owner Nissan says.

Now obviously we'll be delaying our exit because of this crisis... right?

Right?

Grendel

Now obviously we'll be delaying our exit because of this crisis... right?

Right?

The statement is really a way of asking for money to stay

It’s scaling down European operations. Spain is closing. Given our tainted history with french manufacturers in the uk even with eu membership I don’t see Renault filling capacity in the uk anyway

Dont they build the Quahqui mainly there?

chiefdave

UK prepared to ditch EU trade talks in June

[Really wishes I'd gone with my head back in 2016, thought I couldn't Trust the Tory wankers and of course I was right]
Same here. I wasn't so much trusting the tories but some people who I thought knew what they were on about with regards to business and other issues were insisting we were better off leaving. I was 50/50 and went with what they were saying. Regret that now.

The damage this will cause on top of the damage caused by covid19 could last for decades.

shmmeee

Same here. I wasn't so much trusting the tories but some people who I thought knew what they were on about with regards to business and other issues were insisting we were better off leaving. I was 50/50 and went with what they were saying. Regret that now.

The damage this will cause on top of the damage caused by covid19 could last for decades.

Im glad my then 6 year old daughter talked me round to Remain on the way to the polling booth. Was 50:50 leaning Leave then realised I was shutting off her future opportunities for some rather petty reasons.

Now I get to look down on you all sanctimoniously ;)

Sky Blue Pete

Peter Bone was incredible on newsnight. Kept whinging about Kirsty walk being negative when asking about how things are going to work. All we need is positive thinking and it’s going to be great. It’s like some snake charming crap

PVA

Why can’t we stand up to the US the way we do to the EU?

The chicken isn’t even the worst of it. There’s some weird pork I think that’s banned everywhere bar the States that’s going to be part of it too.

American food is so shitty. I hope at least it’s well labelled so I can avoid it like the plague.

It won't be labelled, that will be part of the US' terms - that country of origin is not listed.

NorthernWisdom

It won't be labelled, that will be part of the US' terms - that country of origin is not listed.
Does look that way.

Now I'm lucky enough we can afford to head for the farm shop and their produce, but it could wipe out us using takeaways etc, maybe some pubs and restaurants.

I know Grendel will come along with his but but but, but my line is crossed if we lower from where we are. If anything, leaving the EU should be an opportunity to *raise* our food standards. Now *that* would be a tick in the positive column.

Sick Boy

Does look that way.

Now I'm lucky enough we can afford to head for the farm shop and their produce, but it could wipe out us using takeaways etc, maybe some pubs and restaurants.

I know Grendel will come along with his but but but, but my line is crossed if we lower from where we are. If anything, leaving the EU should be an opportunity to *raise* our food standards. Now *that* would be a tick in the positive column.
To be fair I’d imagine that this is something Grendel would be against considering his views on animal welfare.

Depressingly it’ll be the poorest in society who have to eat it though . Good point about takeaways and restaurants too as there would be no way of knowing exactly what you’re eating.

I’m sure the government will stick to their promises about workers’ rights though and won’t try to go for something like the USA amount of annual leave per year

Ring Of Steel

This even made the news here yesterday- people are incredulous that we could be so stupid.

You will never know the origin of this produce, it won't be marked, the only telltale sign will be that you are buying a load of chicken for a quid or something like that.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Why can’t we stand up to the US the way we do to the EU?

The chicken isn’t even the worst of it. There’s some weird pork I think that’s banned everywhere bar the States that’s going to be part of it too.

American food is so shitty. I hope at least it’s well labelled so I can avoid it like the plague.

We have had our own shitty food as well - BSE for example.

But it just seems to be going down the road I expected it to - get rid of the EU rules so we can just get told what to do by America instead. Bet they don't make any concessions about our stuff going over there which they think may be of inferior quality. It'll be you meet our standards or you don't sell it here.

Sick Boy

This even made the news here yesterday- people are incredulous that we could be so stupid.

You will never know the origin of this produce, it won't be marked, the only telltale sign will be that you are buying a load of chicken for a quid or something like that.
I’d presume it would be possible to mark if it was British meat though?

Users who are viewing this thread