The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (14 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

clint van damme

Wouldn't it be a blow to so many on here if a substantial number of those vacancies were filled by Brits and it worked, just like yonks ago when students like me used to do it in the summer. Even worse, some of them chose to come back and do not the following year. How on earth would you cope with that scenario ?
We'll adapt. Its as simple as that .

But that adaptation is most likely to come in the form of price increases for reasons that have been laid out earlier in the thread.

If that is the case so be it but I'm not sure some people grasp that. You simply aren't going to get the job done with local labour for the same cost.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

But that adaptation is most likely to come in the form of price increases for reasons that have been laid out earlier in the thread.

If that is the case so be it but I'm not sure some people grasp that. You simply aren't going to get the job done with local labour for the same cost.
You're pretty much spot on there Clint. In Think that will happen .

skybluetony176

What sort of answer would you like ?
70k jobs need filling

865k signed on or claimed other unemployment benefits last month.

Nearly a quarter of the U.K. workforce furloughed and allowed/even encouraged to take up other jobs to help.

Yet the government are still having to advertise to fill these vacancies as no one wants them.

Explain how when things get something resembling back to normal we are going to fill these jobs from the homegrown jobs market when we can’t right now when there’s an abundance of availability in the home grown jobs market and it’s a national emergency.

PVA

70k jobs need filling

Nearly a quarter of the U.K. workforce furloughed and allowed/even encouraged to take up other jobs to help.

Yet the government are still having to advertise to fill these vacancies as no one wants them.

Explain how when things get something resembling back to normal we are going to fill these jobs from the homegrown jobs market when we can’t right now when there’s an abundance of availability in the home grown jobs market and it’s a national emergency.

Blitz spirit!

Like the good old days!

Back when I were a youth!

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Blitz spirit!

Like the good old days!

Back when I were a youth!
I doubt those who were bombed night after night though they were the good old days. I wouldn't have wanted to experience that. You need to grow up.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

70k jobs need filling

It depends what you mean by back to normal What do you mean by abundance of availability in the home grown jobs market ? Is that a flowery way of referring to those unemployed ?

chiefdave

Correct and at the same time the bill that passed through parliament this week allows our future trade deals to allow foreign countries access to the UK market without having to meet UK standards. This is why those in the industry are furious at the government. After all the promises they have cleared the way for cheap imports to flood the market.

chiefdave

People were interested until they found out the terms.
Efforts to recruit British fruit and veg pickers have been dealt a blow as it emerged only 112 people out of 50,000 applications have taken up roles.

Thousands who responded to the Government’s appeal for a new land army have dropped out as they have discovered the reality of the eight-hour a day job picking crops in all weathers potentially miles from home.
You had to commit to a minimum of 3 months. 8 hour shifts 6 days a week in all weathers. Living on-site (you can be sent anywhere in the country) for which a deduction is made from your wage. Paid piece rate and a single 'wrong' pick in a box leads to the entire box being rejected and you not being paid.

Very easy with those terms to end up with less than minimum wage.

PVA

Yep, it's not a slight against British people to say they don't want to do that work/in those conditions, it's a fact.

Yet Patel thinks the retired are going to sign up in their droves to do it!

Grendel

Yep, it's not a slight against British people to say they don't want to do that work/in those conditions, it's a fact.

Yet Patel thinks the retired are going to sign up in their droves to do it!

As I said this is the Eu I’m all it’s glory

Let the foreigners endure crap conditions as long as I get my fruit - hardly a ringing endorsement for freedom of movement

PVA

Let the foreigners endure crap conditions as long as I get my fruit - hardly a ringing endorsement for freedom of movement

They choose to come here. They aren't forced you know.

They could stay in their country or even move to a non EU country if they are that perturbed by the working conditions here.

Grendel

They choose to come here. They aren't forced you know.

They could stay in their country or even move to a non EU country if they are that perturbed by the working conditions here.

Lol!

Grendel

Good one.

Shit jobs and shit conditions but they are foreigners and they don’t have to come here

Good God

skybluetony176

It depends what you mean by back to normal What do you mean by abundance of availability in the home grown jobs market ? Is that a flowery way of referring to those unemployed ?
I’ve told you what the abundance is. Over 12 times the shortage claiming unemployment benefits and a quarter of the U.K’s workforce furloughed and free to take these jobs should they wish. That’s over 9million people currently available to take these jobs. If they won’t take them when we’re in a national emergency why are they going to take them when we’re not?

clint van damme

Fair point. So you'd agree the only solution is to employ locals with decent terms and conditions and pass on the cost?
Can you see that happening?

skybluetony176

Shit jobs and shit conditions but they are foreigners and they don’t have to come here

Good God
What’s the point you think you’re making exactly (presuming you have one) because it sounds like you’re congratulating the EU in allowing free movement of people to improve individuals lives through seasonal work in other EU countries.

Grendel

Fair point. So you'd agree the only solution is to employ locals with decent terms and conditions and pass on the cost?
Can you see that happening?

I have no idea what the solution is - I definitely do know one thing - I ate a strawberry before FOM

Grendel

And I picked them before FOM. I won't be fucking doing it again!

I assume you did this as a student? I worked at some grotesques night shift in pork farms - so I guess our increasing affluent society means such jobs are beneath the uk student population

I find these arguments totally bizarre. The left on these forum are basically acknowledging they do not care about workers conditions if they are not British so “bring em in” - Id also wager most moralists on the coronavirus and this thread gleefully snap up bargains From the repulsive Amazon which treats workers like slaves, globally manipulates tax systems and is ruining hard working competition forced to pay absurd business rates - I’ve said before in here I never ever buy from Amazon and never will

Funny world isn’t it

skybluetony176

I assume you did this as a student? I worked at some grotesques night shift in pork farms - so I guess our increasing affluent society means such jobs are beneath the uk student population

I find these arguments totally bizarre. The left on these forum are basically acknowledging they do not care about workers conditions if they are not British so “bring em in” - Id also wager most moralists on the coronavirus and this thread gleefully snap up bargains From the repulsive Amazon which treats workers like slaves, globally manipulates tax systems and is ruining hard working competition forced to pay absurd business rates - I’ve said before in here I never ever buy from Amazon and never will

Funny world isn’t it
So you voted leave in protest of working conditions for seasonal farm workers. Okay.

Reactions: PVA

clint van damme

Funny world isn’t it

I think if you look at how anyone consumes you'll find some purchasing history at odds with their political stance.

I thibk we really need an end to the throw away consumer society though I don't 5hink it's possible.

I stopped using Amazon some time ago myself.

PVA

Good God

In your own words - Lol!

So you lot wanting to end freedom of movement is not because you want less foreigners, it's actually a protest vote because you're so appalled at the conditions they have to work in over here?

Hahaha amazing. Absolutely laughable.

Last edited:

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I’ve told you what the abundance is. Over 12 times the shortage claiming unemployment benefits and a quarter of the U.K’s workforce furloughed and free to take these jobs should they wish. That’s over 9million people currently available to take these jobs. If they won’t take them when we’re in a national emergency why are they going to take them when we’re not?
Then we'll all starve then surely ?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I think if you look at how anyone consumes you'll find some purchasing history at odds with their political stance.

I thibk we really need an end to the throw away consumer society though I don't 5hink it's possible.

I stopped using Amazon some time ago myself.
Agreed. Often there an awful lot of purchasing done in total ignorance of it's history. Take palm oil for instance.
With you on Amazon. Used to buy loads from them but now it's as a very last resort.

Grendel

In your own words - Lol!

So you lot wanting to end freedom of movement is not because you want less foreigners, it's actually a protest vote because you're so appalled at the conditions they have to work in over here?

Hahaha amazing. Absolutely laughable.

I don’t want less “foreigners” where have I have ever said my objection to the project is due to immigration? That’s a lie isn’t it?

Who are “you lot”

You love stereotypes don’t you?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I have no idea what the solution is - I definitely do know one thing - I ate a strawberry before FOM
Remember it's strawberries 365 whether you really want them or not.

PVA

I don’t want less “foreigners” where have I have ever said my objection to the project is due to immigration? That’s a lie isn’t it?

Who are “you lot”

You love stereotypes don’t you?

'You lot' are Leave voters.

The overarching theme of Brexit was immigration, that is undeniable. It may not have been your primary reason for voting Leave (though judging by your views on those outside of the UK I would not be surprised) but it absolutely was for many, probably the majority.

Grendel

Hahahaha.

It’s hilarious actually that the only reason it seems to stay in the EU is we have a shortfall of homegrown fruit as we are not capable of dealing with this. How does New Zealand or Australia say harvest fruit without a freedom of movement arrangement with an Asia Pacific block? I’m genuinely confused

Grendel

'You lot' are Leave voters.

The overarching theme of Brexit was immigration, that is undeniable. It may not have been your primary reason for voting Leave (though judging by your views on those outside of the UK I would not be surprised) but it absolutely was for many, probably the majority.

Er you’ve just said they have a choice and if it’s shite conditions you don’t care ”they” are deserving of less standards than your beloved Brits

What a gift you are

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I find these arguments totally bizarre. The left on these forum are basically acknowledging they do not care about workers conditions if they are not British so “bring em in”

I think once again you've totally missed the point.

It's not saying "they're foreign so it's OK and we don't care about their working conditions." It's the acknowledgment that British workers are not willing to work under such pay and conditions and that this leaves the choice of let it rot or bring in people who will accept them.

That conditions in their own country are such that they see this as improved wages/conditions over staying at home is a travesty.But it's not like the slave trade where they're just being taken from their own country by force and made to work here - it's a choice. We choose not to do it, they do.

PVA

Er you’ve just said they have a choice and if it’s shite conditions you don’t care ”they” are deserving of less standards than your beloved Brits

What a gift you are

What in earth are you talking about.

Where did I say I don't care what conditions they work in?

Where did I say they deserve lower standards than British people?

I said neither of those things. You are fucking insane.

This attempt to paint Remainers as the nasty racists is laughable. You've shown your true feelings towards Europeans on here plenty of times.

Users who are viewing this thread