The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (51 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chiefdave

This government is beyond parody. While Johnson is waving around a packet of Tim Tams they're releasing this video to highlight the rivalry between the UK and Australia. Slight problem being this is Northern Ireland v Ukraine from Euro 2016!

Screenshot 2020-06-17 at 10.48.57.png

Here's the former Australian PM explaining where trade with the UK ranks for them.

PVA

That is one of the most pathetic and embarrassing things I've ever seen.

He's the Prime Minister ffs. And that's what we get from him.

Also was it really worth trashing the economy just for some cheaper biscuits from the other side of the world?

Brighton Sky Blue

That is one of the most pathetic and embarrassing things I've ever seen.

He's the Prime Minister ffs. And that's what we get from him.

Also was it really worth trashing the economy just for some cheaper biscuits from the other side of the world?

I thought the pork pies comments were bad but this ‘takes the biscuit’.

shmmeee

Imagine if we’d spent that on schools. Four times the budget for Building Schools for the Future.

Or health. 400 new hospitals. Or ten times the promised amount extra for the NHS over the next parliament.

Or mental health. Almost 20 times the annual MH budget.

Or police. Could recruit, train and employ another 200,000 police for the next twenty years (might double check my maths on that seems mental).

What the fuck?

chiefdave

The replacement for the EU's Galileo project.
The UK has begun the process of purchasing its own satellite navigation system for defence and critical national infrastructure purposes, according to reports.

The Times says Boris Johnson and the chancellor, Rishi Sunak, signed off on the purchase of a 20% stake in satellite operator OneWeb on Thursday night, after the UK was unable to access the EU’s Galileo satellite navigation system because of Brexit.

The prime minister agreed “to put up about £500m” of taxpayer money for the purchase, according to the Financial Times, which said the funds were part of a larger private sector consortium bid.

The FT also said Johnson’s chief adviser, Dominic Cummings, was “instrumental” in pushing for the UK’s involvement in the bid.
This will be the same OneWeb who filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection at the end of March.
OneWeb files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection

shmmeee

Not sure playing angel investor to tech companies is what I want my tax money spending on TBH. Just swallow your pride and team up with another system FFS why on earth do we need a low orbit satellite cluster of our own?

skybluetony176

The replacement for the EU's Galileo project.

This will be the same OneWeb who filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection at the end of March.
OneWeb files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
We’d already invested £1.2B in Galileo and wasn’t the argument for coming out of it as part of Brexit to do with not having control over Galileo. So how is spanking another £500M to be a minor investor in what sounds like a very unstable company going to cure that? I’m going to predict it ends up being a combination of useless, hitting the rocks, the taxpayer ends up getting nothing for the £500M and we end up going to the EU cap in hand asking for access to Galileo and god knows what cost.

chiefdave

We’d already invested £1.2B in Galileo and wasn’t the argument for coming out of it as part of Brexit to do with not having control over Galileo.
Yep, and we don't get that money back either. So we've paid the money and don't get the benefit with the added bonus that UK companies lose their contracts as the work moves to companies based in the EU.

Of course the whole reason for Galileo in the first place was so that we weren't reliant on a system owned by the US. So we're now investing in a system with a company that has a lot of its operation based in the US.

skybluetony176

The more I read about OneWeb the more I’m reminded that this is the government that gave a ferry company with no ferries millions of pounds of taxpayers money.
They only have 10% of the required hardware needed to make their system work in space.
They have very little production capacity now after filling for bankruptcy and laying of the majority of their workforce earlier this year.
The satellites they do have orbiting the Earth have only worked for a short period to meet with international law.
They apparently need a further $5B in funding yet we’re going to be investigating £500M for a 20% stake. Not sure how that maths adds up but I’m all ears.

shmmeee

The more I read about OneWeb the more I’m reminded that this is the government that gave a ferry company with no ferries millions of pounds of taxpayers money.
They only have 10% of the required hardware needed to make their system work in space.
They have very little production capacity now after filling for bankruptcy and laying of the majority of their workforce earlier this year.
The satellites they do have orbiting the Earth have only worked for a short period to meet with international law.
They apparently need a further $5B in funding yet we’re going to be investigating £500M for a 20% stake. Not sure how that maths adds up but I’m all ears.

Get Debrah Meaden on it

skybluetony176

Yep, and we don't get that money back either. So we've paid the money and don't get the benefit with the added bonus that UK companies lose their contracts as the work moves to companies based in the EU.

Of course the whole reason for Galileo in the first place was so that we weren't reliant on a system owned by the US. So we're now investing in a system with a company that has a lot of its operation based in the US.
I see Airbus is one of OneWebs biggest investors. This is Airbus who is making a lot of the hardware and software for Galileo and will be part of the operation of the system. Are we just going to end up with a more expensive less effective version of Galileo. Struggling to see where the common sense is here.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

So much for there being no magic money tree.

Happy to spunk billions on stuff like this and the new plane paint job (which has the union jack the wrong way up by the way) but not willing to give nurses a payrise.
You're happy to spunk on stuff like this ? :wideyed:

Users who are viewing this thread