The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (52 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SkyblueBazza

She did wake up then and said it would be a return to Victorian times for workers.

I have heard several of her colleagues interviewed saying the same thing - such is their determination & confidence in themselves & their party to win elections & prevent it happening! Either that or perhaps it is a prescribed mantra that they have no true belief in.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

1. It talked about a return after 13 years.
2. That show was over 8 years ago. Since then he hasn't done another - he's just done his improv show with the group.
3. In the headline it mentions him doing the show with his improv friends.
4. I actually went to that show. It was not a traditional stand-up routine. It was pretty much a play consisting of various sketches to explore his mindset and his breakdown/depression some years ago.

djr8369

One of the few MPs who seems to have any sense of perspective on this is Stephen Kinnock

A pro Eu MP who sees a need to accommodate all views. I think he has a phrase about the vote that it was a vote to leave the street but remain in the neighbourhood. So we must leave but accept the result as being close so we need to retain much of the partnership.

it’s unfortunate that he seems a voice in the wilderness.

compare that to the absurd labour MP I saw today on TV who was ranting the deal proposed was shocking - the only reason she could say why when pressed was mobile phone coverage would cease. She did wake up then and said it would be a return to Victorian times for workers. Then she said she’d vote for it if it was attached to a referendum

Yes but are going to retain much of the partnership?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grendel

1. It talked about a return after 13 years.
2. That show was over 8 years ago. Since then he hasn't done another - he's just done his improv show with the group.
3. In the headline it mentions him doing the show with his improv friends.
4. I actually went to that show. It was not a traditional stand-up routine. It was pretty much a play consisting of various sketches to explore his mindset and his breakdown/depression some years ago.
But you said he isn’t a stand up comedian. That’s exactly what he is as that’s where he started and performed for many years

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

But you said he isn’t a stand up comedian. That’s exactly what he is as that’s where he started and performed for many years

Although he has done some traditional stand-up he spent much of his time in his early years doing improv at the Comedy Store and has largely concentrated on that ever since, including his staples like JAM and WLIIA alongside HIGNFY and his time presenting Room 101 (which aren't standup). If you'd seen the play you quoted you'd know that.

Recently he's done more travellogs and rail documentaries than traditional stand-up routines.

I expect you to now go literal and say he goes on stage trying to be funny and does most of it in a standing position. Thus he is a stand-up comedian.

djr8369

So much bitterness

Sorry but you’re grasping at straws. He’s tried to explain his viewpoint and nothing strikes me as bitter. Classism in the U.K. is pretty well understood and widely accepted. You don’t have to be bitter to have that point of view.

Grendel

Although he has done some traditional stand-up he spent much of his time in his early years doing improv at the Comedy Store and has largely concentrated on that ever since, including his staples like JAM and WLIIA alongside HIGNFY and his time presenting Room 101 (which aren't standup). If you'd seen the play you quoted you'd know that.

Recently he's done more travellogs and rail documentaries than traditional stand-up routines.

I expect you to now go literal and say he goes on stage trying to be funny and does most of it in a standing position. Thus he is a stand-up comedian.

so has he done stand up routines or not?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Changing the narrative again I see.

Just to remind you your previous post

Now it's
so has he done stand up routines or not?

Ed Sheeran has done a few cameos on TV including Game of Thrones. If you met someone who'd never heard of him would you're immediate thought be to describe him as an actor?

My mate will be really pleased as he's now apparently a musician because he did a few gigs with a band he was in around the time of uni, despite the fact he's barely played since and has worked for Peugeot for the past 20 years.

Paul Merton is an improv comedian, not a standup.

dutchman

Im not sure it’s been solved considering the DUP are voting against it. Seems like we’ve just decided to ignore the DUP. This is basically the deal we came up with originally. We dropped a red line. Which is what we’ve all been saying was needed.

Re: May's previous deal, I read at the time a Scottish Unionist MP saying that even if the DUP voted for it they wouldn't and I imagine they are even more strongly opposed to Boris' proposal.

Sick Boy

One of the few MPs who seems to have any sense of perspective on this is Stephen Kinnock

A pro Eu MP who sees a need to accommodate all views. I think he has a phrase about the vote that it was a vote to leave the street but remain in the neighbourhood. So we must leave but accept the result as being close so we need to retain much of the partnership.

it’s unfortunate that he seems a voice in the wilderness.

compare that to the absurd labour MP I saw today on TV who was ranting the deal proposed was shocking - the only reason she could say why when pressed was mobile phone coverage would cease. She did wake up then and said it would be a return to Victorian times for workers. Then she said she’d vote for it if it was attached to a referendum

the EEA option would have been a fair reflection of the vote and how close it was

SkyblueBazza

Sorry but you’re grasping at straws. He’s tried to explain his viewpoint and nothing strikes me as bitter. Classism in the U.K. is pretty well understood and widely accepted. You don’t have to be bitter to have that point of view.

You & others might accept it. I have done very well for myself from humble beginnings. State secondary schooling, no University - done it be just working hard & ignoring the influence of "networks" (which exist in EVERY field in my experience) & so-called class discrimination. I perhaps set different life goals to others...quality of life & relationships matter more than fancy cars & big houses to me. So I more than happy with my lot & what I did/do for it.

My best advice is to focus on what YOU want & go get it. If you think you are being brick-walled unfairly by such networks - kick the fucker down & make things happen! The networks soon respect you.

Grendel

Changing the narrative again I see.

Just to remind you your previous post

Now it's

Ed Sheeran has done a few cameos on TV including Game of Thrones. If you met someone who'd never heard of him would you're immediate thought be to describe him as an actor?

My mate will be really pleased as he's now apparently a musician because he did a few gigs with a band he was in around the time of uni, despite the fact he's barely played since and has worked for Peugeot for the past 20 years.

Even though he started as one - right

djr8369

You & others might accept it. I have done very well for myself from humble beginnings. State secondary schooling, no University - done it be just working hard & ignoring the influence of "networks" (which exist in EVERY field in my experience) & so-called class discrimination. I perhaps set different life goals to others...quality of life & relationships matter more than fancy cars & big houses to me. So I more than happy with my lot & what I did/do for it.

My best advice is to focus on what YOU want & go get it. If you think you are being brick-walled unfairly by such networks - kick the fucker down & make things happen! The networks soon respect you.

These are all valid points and good advice but they don’t diminish the fact classism can be an issue.

However, it’s refreshing to see somebody make a positive argument rather than resort to tribal shouting, even if it was somewhat tangential to the point.

I try to broadly follow similar principles in my own life.

shmmeee

Re: May's previous deal, I read at the time a Scottish Unionist MP saying that even if the DUP voted for it they wouldn't and I imagine they are even more strongly opposed to Boris' proposal.

If it’s the one I’m thinking of I think they’ve said t he y won’t vote for it. But I don’t know much about unionist politics so could have the wrong person.

shmmeee

The plural of anecdote isn’t data.

Your anecdote also has absolutely nothing to do with my original point of the establishment being dominated by the privately educated class.

I’m well aware of the stock right wing thought on social mobility thanks. It doesn’t survive a cursory glance at the data.

fellatio_Martinez

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Paul Merton is a stand up comedian. Yes, he's currently focusing on improv but a lot of stand ups take breaks or go down other avenues for periods of time, but they're still stand ups.

It's like saying Derren Brown isn't a magician anymore because he took a year off writing a book.

Grendel

Paul Merton is a stand up comedian. Yes, he's currently focusing on improv but a lot of stand ups take breaks or go down other avenues for periods of time, but they're still stand ups.

It's like saying Derren Brown isn't a magician anymore because he took a year off writing a book.

his analogy of a Peugeot worker who did a bit of music in his uni days was truly inspiring

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Even though he started as one - right

So you're originally argument was that he IS a stand up comedian, now it's he STARTED as one (even though it was actually him finding his feet and trying a few different things to see which he enjoyed/was best at). He did improv from the start.

I've heard from his own mouth in a show about his own life that he wrote and performed in himself say he was never comfortable with stand-up because you write a routine and trying to force jokes in, then spend five minutes on stage setting up a punchline and if you get it wrong the moment has gone and it's been a waste of time because comedy is all in the timing. He prefers the spontaneity of improv. When introducing one of his improv shows I saw he said "I'm an improv comedian, not a stand-up".

So frankly I'll take Paul Merton's word for what Paul Merton is rather than yours if you don't mind.

Just to help you along I'll finish with this, which you can copy and paste in future.
I've been brought up to never admit I'm wrong because it's a sign of weakness

Grendel

So you're originally argument was that he IS a stand up comedian, now it's he STARTED as one (even though it was actually him finding his feet and trying a few different things to see which he enjoyed/was best at). He did improv from the start.

I've heard from his own mouth in a show about his own life that he wrote and performed in himself say he was never comfortable with stand-up because you write a routine and trying to force jokes in, then spend five minutes on stage setting up a punchline and if you get it wrong the moment has gone and it's been a waste of time because comedy is all in the timing. He prefers the spontaneity of improv. When introducing one of his improv shows I saw he said "I'm an improv comedian, not a stand-up".

So frankly I'll take Paul Merton's word for what Paul Merton is rather than yours if you don't mind.

Just to help you along I'll finish with this, which you can copy and paste in future.

Ivan Lendl says he prefers golf to tennis. He’s still a tennis player

djr8369

Genuine question - do any leave voters (or remain if you’re so inclined) believe there is an economic case for Brexit?

Do you think future trade deals with other countries will fill the gap?

Or perhaps you don’t think there is but think it is worth it nonetheless?

Grendel

Anyway after dreamers little tantrum as he got called out back on topic

I would suggest for a laugh people listen to Ian Dale and his interview with the Lib Dem Louisa Porritt - surely the most hapless politician of today which is a real achievement

Grendel

Genuine question - do any leave voters (or remain if you’re so inclined) believe there is an economic case for Brexit?

Do you think future trade deals with other countries will fill the gap?

Or perhaps you don’t think there is but think it is worth it nonetheless?

Yes there clearly is

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

He has done one 'stand up' show (which wasn't a true stand up show as I said - it was more of a play/sketch show) in over 20 years. His inspiration was clowns and silent comedy like Chaplin and Keaton - hardly stand-up comedy. His recent output has him as more of a railway historian than stand-up comedian. His role as a stand up would be 'dabbling in it early in his comedy career as he found his feet because he wanted to be involved in comedy and make people laugh'.

He's been focusing on improv since the mid 1980's. He's been part of the Comedy Store Players (an improv troupe) for over 35 years and has his own Impro Chums for over a decade. This is not currently focusing on improv - this is basing his entire career around it.

Grendel

I was more intending to find out what people thought rather than argue whether or not it can be justified but I’m curious, why clearly?

It depends on your view on integration and future direction doesn’t it?

The Lisbon treaty weakened our veto in several areas and there is every likelihood that will continue further. Stronger fiscal ties and currency union are inevitable as is collective foreign policy

An inability to operate independently in these areas are crippling many Eu countries who cannot devalue or set their own budgets

You can’t just view a short term arrangement against a potential long term federal strategy. Italy as an example when polled believes they have had no benefit from the Eu economically as a majority view

It’s ironic that many people who abhor federalism actually like it in this particular issue

shmmeee

Derren Brown isn’t a magician, he’s a mentalist ;)

You appear to have ended up arguing against your own point. A comedian is anyone whose main selling point is being funny. Whether they write scripts, Do stand up, sing comedy songs, or present TV programs.

Users who are viewing this thread