Taxi cancelled for Robins (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

Fucking aged and salty too m8

Don't forget something to wash it down with.

giphy.gif

Grendel

Grendel, serious questions for you. Without using diversion tactics can you please explain why you don’t like Mark Robins? Do you honestly believe that he’s not the best man for the job? If Robins isn’t the best man then who do you realistically suggest as an alternative?

I don’t think he achieved in finishing sixth in league 2. He did clearly achieve in getting promoted from league 1.

I have an issue only with his clear affinity to an organisation that has really no interest in the club. He’s very very welded into the Sisu project.

That’s my only issue - and I think it has some significance

tommy hutch legend

I don’t think he achieved in finishing sixth in league 2. He did clearly achieve in getting promoted from league 1.

I have an issue only with his clear affinity to an organisation that has really no interest in the club. He’s very very welded into the Sisu project.

That's your only issue please read the first post on this thread from 4 weeks ago ?

Grendel

That's your only issue please read the first post on this thread from 4 weeks ago ?

Ive accused Mr Robins of worshipping at the Sisu temple. Please at least read my whole content before making scattergun judgements - you strike me as a bit stupid to be honest.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'd argue though if the manager were at loggerheads with the owner he wouldn't last long at most clubs. With SISU probably more so than others

Evo1883

Ive accused Mr Robins of worshipping at the Sisu temple. Please at least read my whole content before making scattergun judgements - you strike me as a bit stupid to be honest.

My counter point to this would be , we had to have a manager , they had to have a healthy relationship with the owners , but this manager has given us success along with it .

No manager would be successful here at this club if they didn't share a vision with the owner

Evo1883

A managers relationship with the owners is insignificant for us fans if he's delivering surely

Last edited:

Gregbant

Not sure there's anyone among us that doesn't end up with egg on our faces every now and then

You are right, Brighton made a similar call (not as extreme) but no one is giving him shit because he isn't an arsehole towards other posters.

Brighton Sky Blue

You are right, Brighton made a similar call (not as extreme) but no one is giving him shit because he isn't an arsehole towards other posters.

I’ve never said ‘sack him now’, but I did say after Wycombe I’d want him to go if we went down. Then QPR happened and I thought so even more. This season as down in the dumps as I may have been I’ve not wanted the manager gone after a game.

After QPR I think even the forum optimists were pretty worried

Gregbant

I’ve never said ‘sack him now’, but I did say after Wycombe I’d want him to go if we went down. Then QPR happened and I thought so even more. This season as down in the dumps as I may have been I’ve not wanted the manager gone after a game.

I know you were not exactly the same, I should have made that clearer, but even if you had been nobody on here would have been giving you shit now as you don't speak to others like they are twats, that's my point.

procdoc

I’ve been very vocal in my support of Robins and have argued with your good self at times. After the QPR game I questioned the manager on here somewhere. I overreacted to an abject performance and I regret questioning the best manager we have had in decades

Brighton Sky Blue

I’ve been very vocal in my support of Robins and have argued with your good self at times. After the QPR game I questioned the manager on here somewhere. I overreacted to an abject performance and I regret questioning the best manager we have had in decades

It was a very bad performance after two other pretty bad performances. But full credit to the senior players in the squad for not just accepting it and to the manager for making the required changes. That’s really what everyone has wanted to see all season, not just rolling over in fear of whoever it is

procdoc

It was a very bad performance after two other pretty bad performances. But full credit to the senior players in the squad for not just accepting it and to the manager for making the required changes. That’s really what everyone has wanted to see all season, not just rolling over in fear of whoever it is
Yeah I agree with all that. Cov teams of the past would have given up but this group rolled their sleeves up and have looked a different team since then. Even after the 4-1 defeat at Bournemouth I wasn’t disheartened as the effort was there, just got outclassed by a team bang in form

Brighton Sky Blue

Yeah I agree with all that. Cov teams of the past would have given up but this group rolled their sleeves up and have looked a different team since then. Even after the 4-1 defeat at Bournemouth I wasn’t disheartened as the effort was there, just got outclassed by a team bang in form

Well yeah they’re the only side above us in the 5 game form table and now won 7 in a row. We went there and tried to do the right thing, no disgrace in that performance.

procdoc

Well yeah they’re the only side above us in the 5 game form table and now won 7 in a row. We went there and tried to do the right thing, no disgrace in that performance.
I’m completely with you. End of the day they are littered with international players on premier league wages, was never going to be easy!

covboy1987

He should just be told to walk home

He’s out of ideas and we are sliding fast. He’s not good enough at this level and he’s also like most managers stubborn and one dimensional

That performance was inexcusable - his January transfers are shite and his stubborn refusal to acknowledge even bakayoko is better than biamou and to change shape and formation will set us back

Thanks For the memories and all that but Boddy needs to act now
There was another thread similar to this one back on april 5th - Titled 'Thank you and goodby' pleased with my own reply at the time as and the many others backing Robins to the hilt as the wheels at the time seemed to have come off - I see alot of posters that were vocal against him at the time now keeping quiet or trying to weedle out of things

Apr 5, 2021

Covcraig@bury said:

That’s it , Robins needs to move on . The last few games his ability to select a team that will compete and make the change when it’s needed has passed . Thank you for your time but you need to go !

Utter rubbish - Robins has the along with a few others the highest win ratio in our history - Trying to keep the team in the championship with the lowest budget excluding Wycombe - An injury list at one point that would cripple any team - We are still in a good position in the table to stay up if we can start firing on all cylinders - If we go down i cannot think anyone better to get us back up - I applaud owners such as Norwich who backed there man after relegation, now look at them on the verge of going back up - What a manager Mark robins has been fotr us he has worked though the most difficult times playing every game away from home with a difficult budget to work to - Be careful what you wish for, Mark Robins is still a very sort after manager who would walk into a really good and probably better paid job than us tomorrow if he was to leave

shmmeee

Been a Robins fan since day one, think what he’s done for the club puts him on a level with Hill and Sillett as I’ve argued before.

But after QPR was the first time I’ve had serious doubts about his ability to keep us progressing at this level. I was wrong, but I think it’s fair to say that was a low point of his city career since his first promotion.

procdoc

Been a Robins fan since day one, think what he’s done for the club puts him on a level with Hill and Sillett as I’ve argued before.

But after QPR was the first time I’ve had serious doubts about his ability to keep us progressing at this level. I was wrong, but I think it’s fair to say that was a low point of his city career since his first promotion.
That pretty much echoes my feelings after the QPR game.

procdoc

There was another thread similar to this one back on april 5th - Titled 'Thank you and goodby' pleased with my own reply at the time as and the many others backing Robins to the hilt as the wheels at the time seemed to have come off - I see alot of posters that were vocal against him at the time now keeping quiet or trying to weedle out of things

Apr 5, 2021

Covcraig@bury said:

That’s it , Robins needs to move on . The last few games his ability to select a team that will compete and make the change when it’s needed has passed . Thank you for your time but you need to go !

Utter rubbish - Robins has the along with a few others the highest win ratio in our history - Trying to keep the team in the championship with the lowest budget excluding Wycombe - An injury list at one point that would cripple any team - We are still in a good position in the table to stay up if we can start firing on all cylinders - If we go down i cannot think anyone better to get us back up - I applaud owners such as Norwich who backed there man after relegation, now look at them on the verge of going back up - What a manager Mark robins has been fotr us he has worked though the most difficult times playing every game away from home with a difficult budget to work to - Be careful what you wish for, Mark Robins is still a very sort after manager who would walk into a really good and probably better paid job than us tomorrow if he was to leave
Bullshit Craig has no idea about football though so I take anything that fool says with a pinch of salt

ovduk78

The only time I thought that he should leave was if we didn't get out of L2. Since then year on year he has improved the squad and our league position where now, miracles aside, we will be playing in the Championship again next season. Yes, he has been stubborn and does things that some may disagree with but I trust he knows the players, their capabilities and any current problems/niggles they have better than every one on here. I would still keep him as manager if we went down to L1. For 1 poster to suggest he should be sacked because of how close he is to SISU is ludicrous, whichever manager we have has to have a close working relationship with our owners.

RegTheDonk

After Wycome I was pretty dispondent but MR has turned things around - he's been able to get the players to step up and he's got the formation and tactics right. Other than Dabo (and Jodi), in the last few games he's had virtually the pick of the players he's believed would do a job for us and it's turned out all right.

So do we trust him to get it right next year and spend whatever SISU give him correctly (assuming it's half decent) to strenghten or change where needed? Or do we think thats about as far as it goes and if we are to progress, we need a different approach with a different person?

I personally think we owe the guy a chance, considering the two promotions and the kind of football he wants us to play. But is that just me being a fair and nice guy - should we be looking to be ruthless and more ambitious from the off and give whatever money the may fall off the tree to someone else? Posh, Hull and ANOther coming up who may have more to spend and won't have a points deduction handicap.

Colin Steins Smile

The business framework that MR has been opera in has to be considered of the most challenging of any manager in the EFL over his second tenure in charge.
Like any leader he’s made mistakes, but everyone who makes decisions do that.
What I find irritating is the criticism from some on here of him, who will have little knowledge of the day to day challenges he faces.
Some calling for him to be replaced by Jackett, who failed with a much better working environment than MR.
Our manager deserves respect for what he’s done & if things don’t go well next season, I would hope we continue to behave respectfully towards him.
PUSB’s

KenilworthSkyBlue

The business framework that MR has been opera in has to be considered of the most challenging of any manager in the EFL over his second tenure in charge.
Like any leader he’s made mistakes, but everyone who makes decisions do that.
What I find irritating is the criticism from some on here of him, who will have little knowledge of the day to day challenges he faces.
Some calling for him to be replaced by Jackett, who failed with a much better working environment than MR.
Our manager deserves respect for what he’s done & if things don’t go well next season, I would hope we continue to behave respectfully towards him.
PUSB’s

Completely respect the effort Robins has put into returning us to the Championship and subsequently keeping us there, but I couldn't disagree more on this point. It's one I've seen peddled numerous times throughout his tenure and it's wholly misguided.

Albeit the move to St Andrews was inevitably a tough pill to swallow and far from convenient but the notion that he's had it especially tough compared to other managers is slightly far-fetched. Our business framework is not really that different to other clubs. In fact you could argue the player recruitment aspect of it is actually far better than most because as a model it's sustainable.

He's also allowed to operate with no interference from SISU or Boddy and effectively has free reign on how he operates within the confines of his role. This includes who he wishes to bring in as long as it's within budget, and exits - unless they're required due to financial reasons but that's just part and parcel within football.

The point remains however that very few managers get that kind of freedom in their role from their employer. In fact, there are numerous examples of owners/stakeholders/high ranking club officials repeatedly interfering in the footballing side of their club - to the club's detriment - when it couldn't be further removed from their remit. Robins thankfully doesn't have to contend with that.

Last edited:

NortonSkyBlue

The difference between a good manager and a bad manager is simple, win you are good. On here we tend to look at results in isolation and react accordingly, I suppose the step up in quality of opponent counts for nothing when you a Coventry City fan.
Have we got players of the quality of Armstrong, Buendia, Cantwell, Pukki, Toney, Sarr, Joao, the Bournemouth front line? No and it showed that we lack that Xfactor that other teams have and have shown that can unlock any team in the championship.
What was needed in my opinion is perspective and now we can see that pace, real pace undoes most teams, guile undoes most teams and you need to be on your game from minute one of the season. Too often we’re have been behind from the off.
I keep reading about the QPR game the Wycombe game, the 0-0 results and would like to acknowledge that the 4 points from Wycombe, 3 from QPR and the 0-0’s could be construed as the difference between survival and relegation. Just a POV and as for mistakes didn’t Cardiff gift us a win, didn’t Derby gift us a goal? It happens and we took advantage.

Grendel

Completely respect the effort Robins has put into returning us to the Championship and subsequently keeping us there, but I couldn't disagree more on this point. It's one I've seen peddled numerous times throughout his tenure and it's wholly misguided.

Albeit the move to St Andrews was inevitably a tough pill to swallow and far from convenient but the notion that he's had it especially tough compared to other managers is slightly far-fetched. Our business framework is not really that different to other clubs. In fact you could argue the player recruitment aspect of it is actually far better than most because as a model it's sustainable.

He's also allowed to operate with no interference from SISU or Boddy and effectively has free reign on how he operates within the confines of his role. This includes who he wishes to bring in as long as it's within budget, and exits - unless they're required due to financial reasons but that's just part and parcel within football.

The point remains however that very few managers get that kind of freedom in their role from their employer. In fact, there are numerous examples of owners/stakeholders/high ranking club officials repeatedly interfering in the footballing side of their club - to the club's detriment - when it couldn't be further removed from their remit. Robins thankfully doesn't have to contend with that.

Spot on

Irish Sky Blue

After Wycome I was pretty dispondent but MR has turned things around - he's been able to get the players to step up and he's got the formation and tactics right. Other than Dabo (and Jodi), in the last few games he's had virtually the pick of the players he's believed would do a job for us and it's turned out all right.

So do we trust him to get it right next year and spend whatever SISU give him correctly (assuming it's half decent) to strenghten or change where needed? Or do we think thats about as far as it goes and if we are to progress, we need a different approach with a different person?

I personally think we owe the guy a chance, considering the two promotions and the kind of football he wants us to play. But is that just me being a fair and nice guy - should we be looking to be ruthless and more ambitious from the off and give whatever money the may fall off the tree to someone else? Posh, Hull and ANOther coming up who may have more to spend and won't have a points deduction handicap.
From this it sounds like we are doing him a favour in allowing him to stay,as,with a click of the fingers we will have someone else in who is going to take us to 'the next level'.
In truth, Robins has again shown what a good manager he is, battling through, even with the long term injuries to key players we have had and with little resource to replace them, to secure another season in this league.
Why would anyone want to go back to the hire, fail and fire days pre Robins? I just don't get it.

Irish Sky Blue

The move to Birmingham resulted in our attendances being less than a third of what we might have had, had we played and won promotion at the Ricoh. This meant the team playing in a stadium with only two stands open, both less than full and with only one of them containing City fans. Would this have had no impact on performances? What about the extra revenue from Gates of 15k plus as opposed to 5k? Would some of this have been used to improve the team?
Unless you are a fly on the wall in conversations involving Boddy and Robins how do you know what restrictions have been placed on what he can or can't do? Certainly they seem to have a harmonious relationship, but I am pretty sure Boddy takes his orders from Sisu and Robins will also have to follow that line.
Can we not just be pleased with a fantastic achievement without having to pick holes in what he has done?

cov donkey kick

Think those 3 games the last one QPR as it's worked out the players meeting it switched a switch on and players together produce an enormous energy which robins has switched on to and hopefully this core of players start in the same vein next season after not losing the last 2games.
Robins has bought into the. Sisu mindset ,but he's had to and make it work ,he has free reign playing wise no interference and I understand his point of view.

better days

Henry Winter's piece in today's Times is headlined 'Robins works miracle at fearless Coventry'

Robins works miracle at fearless Coventry
He arrived in the Championship with a tiny budget, tension between Coventry City’s passionate fanbase and detached owners, and having to groundshare. So what he has achieved is little short of a miracle.

In the past four years Mark Robins has won the EFL Trophy, the League Two play-offs, the League One title and, after Saturday’s results, kept Coventry up with two games left. “Play without any fear,” he kept telling his players, and they did, doing their manager and the famous shirt proud.

Users who are viewing this thread