Match Thread Swansea Match Thread (2 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

I just worry we get so compressed with Godden up front on his own. We need to find a way to give us space to play. Ideally it’s be Walker and Godden but COVID. I think having the flat three of Allen Sheaf and O’Hare didn’t work last game so hoping two DMs sorts that out a bit.

While I agree with that we do also need a big improvement in decision making and accuracy with the ball. A broken record on this I know!

AOM

I just worry we get so compressed with Godden up front on his own. We need to find a way to give us space to play. Ideally it’s be Walker and Godden but COVID. I think having the flat three of Allen Sheaf and O’Hare didn’t work last game so hoping two DMs sorts that out a bit.

Agreed.
Godden can seemingly get a goal out of nowhere so I'd stick with him, but he looked so isolated and slow on his own against Bournemouth (who are obviously a different class anyway), so I'd crack Baka up there with him as an extra presence and some pace.

If we're struggling after an hour, bring Allen or Shipley on for one of the forwards

SlowerThanPlatt

It’s going to be another game where we spend large periods of the game chasing the ball. Swansea look to boss possession and rank third in the league

procdoc

It’s going to be another game where we spend large periods of the game chasing the ball. Swansea look to boss possession and rank third in the league
Thing is, we aren’t going to out-football most teams in this league. Our entire approach must change to get points. This is where management have to decide between philosophy or results

Ccfcisparks

Thing is, we aren’t going to out-football most teams in this league. Our entire approach must change to get points. This is where management have to decide between philosophy or results
A Wolves like set up, with 5 at the back and a heavy focus on counter attacking could work well. The only problem is we don't have many players in the squad with blistering pace to make the counter attacks worthwhile.

Brighton Sky Blue

A Wolves like set up, with 5 at the back and a heavy focus on counter attacking could work well. The only problem is we don't have many players in the squad with blistering pace to make the counter attacks worthwhile.

We did play like that a number of times last season to be fair.

SlowerThanPlatt

We have 10 men behind the ball usually when we do win it so it just ends up coming back with 1 player against 3 or 4 of their defenders

Brighton Sky Blue

I think the Championship is a whole different level when it comes to power and fitness.

Look at the Brentford counter attacks the other day and then compare it to ours.

That and they can just ping it around fairly effortlessly because the players are on the same wavelength

Covkid1968#

these are odd times...so I do wonder if it’s only me who pretends they are going to a game and try to recreate the Mach day experience

1. 5.30 I shall rush home from work ( go upstairs from my temp office in my dining room)
2. Get my Stone Island gear on (a mixture of snide stuff from Turkey holiday in 2018 and a 2nd hand original jumper off EBay (which I had to debobble)
3. head off to the local for the pre match 5 pints
4. Quick stop off in the loo for a livener remembering not to do it off the toilet lid following a previous unfortunate experience
5. Rush back home 10 mins into the game disturbing other people already seated
6. 10 mins before half time get in the kitchen to beat the rush for a couple of pre poured flat beers
7. Back 10 mins into the 2nd half to berate players and shout Sunday league instructions like ‘shoooooot’ and ‘ get rid’ at the TV

looking forward to it......PUSB

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Personally I just think we need to:
Get it long. FFS play it short.
Forward! Get it on the deck for God's sake.
Let them know you're there. Don't give away stupid fouls.
Stop bottling 50/50s. Really need to learn some discipline.
Stop trying to walk it in. Stop being so selfish.
Get up the pitch. Don't get caught pushing too high.
Play our way out from the back. But lose it once and I want you out the team.
Take him on for fucks sake. What you trying that for?!

And we should be fine.

0-2 loss.

AOM

Personally I just think we need to:
Get it long. FFS play it short.
Forward! Get it on the deck for God's sake.
Let them know you're there. Don't give away stupid fouls.
Stop bottling 50/50s. Really need to learn some discipline.
Stop trying to walk it in. Stop being so selfish.
Get up the pitch. Don't get caught pushing too high.
Play our way out from the back. But lose it once and I want you out the team.
Take him on for fucks sake. What you trying that for?!

And we should be fine.

0-2 loss.

As long as we're downhill second half

shmmeee

While I agree with that we do also need a big improvement in decision making and accuracy with the ball. A broken record on this I know!

Thats a function of time on the ball and teammates in space though. Pro players don’t suddenly lose the ability to pass the ball ten yards, it’s when they’ve got no options and are pressured. Both of which are helped by the team having more space to play in.

Though I do think there’s a mental element of them beating themselves before the game has even begun and snatching at passes (if that’s a thing)

Brighton Sky Blue

Thats a function of time on the ball and teammates in space though. Pro players don’t suddenly lose the ability to pass the ball ten yards, it’s when they’ve got no options and are pressured. Both of which are helped by the team having more space to play in.

Though I do think there’s a mental element of them beating themselves before the game has even begun and snatching at passes (if that’s a thing)

It seems to me like psychologically they think they have less time on the ball even when they’re not being pressed, so they’re missing the easier passes or times when they’re under less pressure. You can tell confidence is already taking a hit

shmmeee

Completely disagree. Aside from anything else we simply don’t have the squad to start playing hoof ball or physically bullying teams.

shmmeee

It seems to me like psychologically they think they have less time on the ball even when they’re not being pressed, so they’re missing the easier passes or times when they’re under less pressure. You can tell confidence is already taking a hit

100% there were a couple of times on Saturday where I was screaming “time” at the TV because as you say they were playing as if they had a man right on them as soon as they received the ball even when there wasn’t.

SlowerThanPlatt

We started well at Bristol City obviously bar the 10 second goal or whatever it was. I think that was our best performance so far, QPR wasn’t great but we won.

SkyBlueSoul

Thoroughly enjoyed this bit of build up on the Swansea forum

Why do Coventry play football in Birmingham ?

Well, that’s easy, but there is a sting in the tail. Wasps RFC, who aren’t actually wasps they are big eared boys who throw a weird shaped ball about won’t let them. Apparently they own the stadium, or something like that, maybe they don’t, but in a fight between the sky blue and wasps I think the wasps would win as they have far bigger hands and noses that can take a punch. I actually know a Coventry supporter who used to walk to the ground, it took him seven English minutes. Now he gets the train but replicates his walk to the ground by strolling up and down his train carriage all through his journey. He is a bit of a knob.

Sky Blue Harry H

Just want us to start the game competitively instead of us looking scared like we’ve done in every game so far.

To be honest. I 'm not sure it's the players that are scared, it's just that we (as fans) are nervous watching them, as we know we're in for a tough game nearly every match now. I feel way more stressed before each game this season than before almost every game last season, with the possible exception of that run of Pompey, Rotherham and Sunderland home matches last season, when the importance of those games was so apparent. Can feel my blood pressure above normal now thinking about tonight's game!

ccfcchris

Swansea Goalscorers so far.

Ayew 2
Bidwell 1
Cabango 1
Gibbs-White 1
Lowe 1

None of them killing it. I think we'll poss lose only because I think Swansea will be there about at the end of the season challenging.

SlowerThanPlatt

Swansea Goalscorers so far.

Ayew 2
Bidwell 1
Cabango 1
Gibbs-White 1
Lowe 1

None of them killing it. I think we'll poss lose only because I think Swansea will be there about at the end of the season challenging.

They’ve scored 1 more goal than us but our defensive record is only better than Wycombe

Tommo1993

To be honest. I 'm not sure it's the players that are scared, it's just that we (as fans) are nervous watching them, as we know we're in for a tough game nearly every match now. I feel way more stressed before each game this season than before almost every game last season, with the possible exception of that run of Pompey, Rotherham and Sunderland home matches last season, when the importance of those games was so apparent. Can feel my blood pressure above normal now thinking about tonight's game!

We’re failing the basics. We can’t try to adjust to this league by making it this difficult for ourselves in the first place. Like a rabbit in headlights.

Sky Blue Harry H

We’re failing the basics. We can’t try to adjust to this league by making it this difficult for ourselves in the first place. Like a rabbit in headlights.

Thee way I look at it is that I am fairly confident our team if now in League 1 would finish top 2, and not a single team in League 1 would come away with anything better than we did at Brentford. It's easy to describe a performance against a better team as being 'scared' because as fans you kick every ball with them, and can see the pass they should make, but don't - just like any other fan. Individuals within a team under pressure will make more mistakes than within a team that is on top. We are just going to have to grin and bare it a few times this season, until the players / MR figure out a way. I compared the Brentford game to a visit to the dentist. I'm afraid we are going to have a few of them this season. Not easy to accept, but in our first season back a harsh reality of the difference between L1 and The Championship and the quality of the payers and teams within it.

Users who are viewing this thread