Support for Burge (1 Viewer)

letsallsingtogether

No but theyre suggesting hes not as good as he could be because hes young. Age is irrelevant. Hes not good enogh because hes nit good enough!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
No that should have read he is good enough.....
For this league anyway .

Irish Sky Blue

You’re being very blaisé about his achievements. He’s managed to convince most managers in L2 that he is the best GK in the division. He’s made mistakes, but so have other GKs, no one here, can realistically scope what he’s up against. The actual football people, who do have a realistic scope of what the other GKs are like, voted him well. That includes, probably the most ‘senior’ GK in the league, Forde, who, incidentally happened to attract some of his vitriol from Cambridge.

This argument that people have put forward about keepers’ seemingly always having ‘blinders’ against us and never making mistakes, I present the following:

Luton (H): Stech palmed a shot straight to Vincenti, conceded a weak FK at his post
Wycombe (H): GK concedes from a Doyle tackle from 40 yards, McNulty’s goal was a bit soft too
Swindon (A): RCC, Doyle’s goal went inbetween his legs
Grimsby (A): mainly Clarke’s fault, but GK shouldve been alert

General dodginess:

Cambridge (H) — Forde nearly having the ball nicked off him by McNulty
Luton (A) — McNulty nearly robbing Stech

There’s possibly a few more, that’s all I can recall off the top of my head. Other GKs make howler’s too, people forget that.

I think Burge’s reflexes and shot stopping probably is the best in the division and a good shot stopper for L1. Indeed he needs to work on areas in this game. But if he was the real deal, he wouldn’t be playing in L2, would he?

Therefore, if you want a ‘very good shot stopper’ (to quite you), and a very good distributor and on top of that, and a very good, physical handler at set-pieces and crosses. You’re describing a GK who shouldn’t be anyway near L2 — a GK that fits that criteria is a Championship to Premiership GK.

I don’t think Burge will ever change some people’s minds, fair enough, but he’s got voted GK of year. Has the highest minutes per goal, the highest % of clean sheets, the lowest amount of goals conceded per game.
I think Forde could be blamed for Nazon’s goal at Cambridge because although he hit it really sweetly, the goalkeeper was beaten at the near post. Being a pedant; I think it was the other Swindon keeper in the away game.

CharlesMore

Well done Lee Burge, more than adequate for Division 4 (or 3).

All keepers make the odd blunder or two, the saves he has made in the last two seasons far outweigh those.

If the clowns that own us ever release any significant funds to Mark Robins, a new goalkeeper is the least of our priorities.

Otis

All keepers make the odd blunder or two, the saves he has made in the last two seasons far outweigh those.

If the clowns that own us ever release any significant funds to Mark Robins, a new goalkeeper is the least of our priorities.
If we're in League One it needs to be one of our very first priorities I would say.

Cavan O'Doherty

If he’s getting exposed at this level, imagine what would happen in league one against players with the quality of Nick Powell, Bradley Dack, Will Grigg etc.

CharlesMore

If he’s getting exposed at this level, imagine what would happen in league one against players with the quality of Nick Powell, Bradley Dack, Will Grigg etc.

A decent defence infront of him would help for a start, anyway all those players you mentioned will be in a different division next season, something we wont have to worry about.

Cavan O'Doherty

A decent defence infront of him would help for a start, anyway all those players you mentioned will be in a different division next season, something we wont have to worry about.
Yes but the equivalent e.g. Jack Marriott, Marcus Maddison, Brett Pitman, Graham Carey etc. Possibly even Tom Bradshaw and George Moncur if Barnsley come down. Those players would cause Burge to make a catalogue of errors(along with others) if he can’t handle what we are facing at the minute. A new keeper should be high on the priority list this summer.

Otis

Well who would have thought it, Burge is in team of the year, voted by his fellow pros and in the FIFA18 team of the season.
After more than 50 years of watching football, it is official, I know fuck all.
Also shows, anyone can be a pundit.

skybluepm2

You can’t have watched him very often this season Charles. The goalkeeping position is the first area that needs major surgery in the Summer, irrespective of which league we end up in.

One or 2 gifts per season you’d expect and to a degree accept, particularly at this level... but 5 or 6 resulting in a significant number of dropped points? Not a chance. How many times are we going to pat him on the back and brush these errors under the carpet. There have been no games that he has won or kept us in single handedly, a few decent saves but naming him in the team of the season shows just how poor the standard really is.

Otis

You can’t have watched him very often this season Charles. The goalkeeping position is the first area that needs major surgery in the Summer, irrespective of which league we end up in.

One or 2 gifts per season you’d expect and to a degree accept, particularly at this level... but 5 or 6 resulting in a significant number of dropped points? Not a chance. How many times are we going to pat him on the back and brush these errors under the carpet. There have been no games that he has won or kept us in single handedly, a few decent saves but naming him in the team of the season shows just how poor the standard really is.
I know the keeping role is a role apart, but if a defender gave 5 or 6 soft pens away in a season we would surely be looking to sack him off wouldn't we?

Adge

I know the keeping role is a role apart, but if a defender gave 5 or 6 soft pens away in a season we would surely be looking to sack him off wouldn't we?
No not really-Haynes willl probably be in the team tomorrow.

Astute

We have played defensive midfield most of the season. This has helped Burge. But ut has stopped us from going forward and scoring goals. When our defence has a mare we leak goals. Yes Burge is a good shot stopper. But he is weak in every other area. I would prefer average in each area.

Sick Boy

Yeah the farce that was Exeter away happens to all keepers. Luckily you're not manager as you're utterly clueless.

Astute

Yeah the farce that was Exeter away happens to all keepers. Luckily you're not manager as you're utterly clueless.
That was one I won't forget in a long time. Got the train about 6am. Went to Wycombe to pick a car up and then drove to Exeter. Wished I hadn't picked up car and just got the train back. Was a bloody long journey home to have something like that 'mistake' playing over on your mind. Could have got pissed on the train.

Otis

I don't know why some people say Burge gets no support. He gets plenty.

There's Paul Burge and John Burge and Alan Burge and cousin Pete and Auntie Velda and Mr. and Mrs. Burge too, as well as his old maths teacher and the bloke who used to run scouts.

Behind him all the way.

Londonccfcfan

Feel sorry for the lad though. He has made some outstanding saves. Saves i will never forget. Last minute of checkatrade final. And recently away at Newport. And many others. Hes a good shot stopper But everything else that a keeper has to do needs much improving.

But we need to get behind him till the end of the season.

Brighton Sky Blue

Feel sorry for the lad though. He has made some outstanding saves. Saves i will never forget. Last minute of checkatrade final. And recently away at Newport. And many others. Hes a good shot stopper But everything else that a keeper has to do needs much improving.

Can't help but think Oggy's coaching has something to do with this. Before the game there's all kinds of shots at the keepers and drills based around that. The kicking practice though is just to hoof to O'Brien and catching is done with crosses in an empty penalty area.

Get someone like Biamou to challenge him for the ball at least and make it somewhat realistic. No wonder his only strength is shot stopping.

Otis

Yep, excellent shotstopper, but of course there is so much more to a keeper's game than that.

1. Decision making
2. Command of the area
3. Distribution
4. Organising of the back four

Of course we should fully back him and I have never sarcastically cheered when he has caught the ball after a mistake and have never got on his back during a game. I save all my critique for on here.

Adge

We certainly do-but come the end of the season he needs to be shown the door.

pastythegreat

Can't help but think Oggy's coaching has something to do with this. Before the game there's all kinds of shots at the keepers and drills based around that. The kicking practice though is just to hoof to O'Brien and catching is done with crosses in an empty penalty area.

Get someone like Biamou to challenge him for the ball at least and make it somewhat realistic. No wonder his only strength is shot stopping.
Although I do agree with the Oggy needs to take note and the lack of improvement from ANY keeper under his watch is just shocking.
You do however have to understand that Monday to Friday at Ryton is the time to TRAIN keepers.
i.e strength training, crosses under pressure etc etc. At 2.30 on a Saturday isn't for training or for show for the fans, it is purely and simply there to stretch and warm the players up. Imagine both Biamou and Burge get injured at 2.45 over doing the warm up. What then?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

sylus

Burge scares the sh't out of me,he is almost as good as a goal for the opposition,start with O' Brien today,but we all know MR won't.

Users who are viewing this thread