Stuart Linnell is a Muppet !!! (3 Viewers)

Samo

You lose all impact when you use the word sheep, try to think of something original for once.

Agreed. Using the word is just as bad as calling someone a SISU rent boy. You are implying that the majority are stupid, follow the pack and cannot think for themselves. There seems to be some belief on here that the minority are the intelligentsia, the enlightened heroic few. It makes me puke.

Last edited:

Grendel

Repeatedly stating "IT woz ACL wot did it" is not offering another view, it's noise. Every argument I've seen, from the rent being too high (not any more it isn't) to revenue streams (on offer, and no evidence that they'll be better at new stadium) has been argued against rationally.

Where you see the froth and foam is the idea that Sisu should be given the Ricoh at a cut price, either through capitulation to their demands or through ACL going bust, and often not just ACL but requests for the freehold to go through. That is a moral argument in a large part (giving away publically owned assets) hence the lack of sense and large amount of bluster.

I think the really telling word in your post is "sheep", the viewpoint I see from a lot of anti-ACL posters, and it's no coincidence the hive of this is GMK, is that of a kind of "edgy" "hipster" who has to prove how clever he is by constantly playing devils advocate and whatever the mainstream view is. There are one or two who offer genuine debate (and funnily enough those are the ones who when prodded admit to not wanting Sisu here either) but there are many more who either have been Trolls pre-Sisu (Grendel) or who have always taken against the "mainstream" view (GMK). They deserve all the shortness they get.

Trolls pre sisu? Have they only been here since September 2011 my it seems so much longer. So you call people trolls, hip, trendy and you claim that those who rightly see the council faults are not worthy of debating.

My impression of you is that you are someone who gets taken in easily - you believe the spin and manipulation ACL and the council chuck out.

I have asked you many times to find and identify one pro sisu post I have made and you of course cannot find one

Strangely Schmee some of us can see both sides are at fault and can actually also see what the stakes are. NOPM will not work and sisu will stick this out.

Calling me a troll is funny really. My overriding wish is for the club to return to the Ricoh. What's yours Schmee to protect your precious Ricoh for future generations? It may have escaped your notice but this is a football forum not property regeneration world.

I may be completely wrong about this and if I am I apologise. My understanding of NOPM is that it is a move started to starve SISU of funds to presurise them into realising the depth of fans' frustration and opposiiton to the move to Sixfields with a few of returning our club to Coventry. If in that case 'the club' receives revenue from the BBC for covering matches, shouldn't the BBC and all it's programes be boycotted by supporters of NOPM? My wife would kill me as it would mean no Eastenders....Oh the joy... Get it? Joy? I assume some of the posters who are actually listening to Stuart Linnell are actually supporters of NOPM, so why are they listening to him and going against a code of practice they have chosen to follow? BTW I have chosen not to go to Sixfields and attend cup games and have purchased my Crawley, Carlisle (City were brilliant yesterday) and Shrewsbury tickets direct from those clubs.

Samo

Trolls pre sisu? Have they only been here since September 2011 my it seems so much longer. So you call people trolls, hip, trendy and you claim that those who rightly see the council faults are not worthy of debating.

My impression of you is that you are someone who gets taken in easily - you believe the spin and manipulation ACL and the council chuck out.

I have asked you many times to find and identify one pro sisu post I have made and you of course cannot find one

Strangely Schmee some of us can see both sides are at fault and can actually also see what the stakes are. NOPM will not work and sisu will stick this out.

Calling me a troll is funny really. My overriding wish is for the club to return to the Ricoh. What's yours Schmee to protect your precious Ricoh for future generations? It may have escaped your notice but this is a football forum not property regeneration world.

Ah it's one of the enlightened heroic few! How many on here do you think cannot see any blame on the CCC/ACL side?

ajsccfc

One of the sad parts about the infighting here is that most of the people involved agree about far more than they'd realise.

jesus-wept

NOPM makes little difference to the long haul ahead, but it's a stance. With or without it not that many will go to Sixfields over the season infact I doubt we will ever get over 2000 "home" fans and that's if we are doing well, there will be a hardcore 700 or so then a sprinkling of about 3/400 who will go now and then. Last weeks 2224 v Bristol will be as good as it gets imo, as more of us will become armchair supporters unfortunately.

Personally I think we have aimed at the wrong target, as soon as Northampton was announced we should have protested to Northampton Town FC, their local MP, their council, supporters, the local police and of course David Cardoza who I think is in this for reasons not yet divulged to his supporters.

Last edited:

Grappa

Repeatedly stating "IT woz ACL wot did it" is not offering another view, it's noise. Every argument I've seen, from the rent being too high (not any more it isn't) to revenue streams (on offer, and no evidence that they'll be better at new stadium) has been argued against rationally.

Where you see the froth and foam is the idea that Sisu should be given the Ricoh at a cut price, either through capitulation to their demands or through ACL going bust, and often not just ACL but requests for the freehold to go through. That is a moral argument in a large part (giving away publically owned assets) hence the lack of sense and large amount of bluster.

I think the really telling word in your post is "sheep", the viewpoint I see from a lot of anti-ACL posters, and it's no coincidence the hive of this is GMK, is that of a kind of "edgy" "hipster" who has to prove how clever he is by constantly playing devils advocate and whatever the mainstream view is. There are one or two who offer genuine debate (and funnily enough those are the ones who when prodded admit to not wanting Sisu here either) but there are many more who either have been Trolls pre-Sisu (Grendel) or who have always taken against the "mainstream" view (GMK). They deserve all the shortness they get.

Why are you just making stuff up? Who is constantly repeating 'it was ACL who did it'? For someone who bores on and on about rationality and logic, you're showing very little evidence of understanding either.

And using 'they disagree with me so they must be trying to be cool and hipsterish' is as pathetic as me saying you've only taken the position you have because of who your dad is. Absolutely ridiculous.

jesus-wept

I have to agree with that. I will be very interested to hear Tim Fisher's latest views which I am certain will be based on our "amazing" form. That will be straw clutching in my view trying and drum up support. He will get a few extra turn up, but at the same time any adverse result will have fans turn away from going.

RegTheDonk

I may be completely wrong about this and if I am I apologise. My understanding of NOPM is that it is a move started to starve SISU of funds to presurise them into realising the depth of fans' frustration and opposiiton to the move to Sixfields with a few of returning our club to Coventry. If in that case 'the club' receives revenue from the BBC for covering matches, shouldn't the BBC and all it's programes be boycotted by supporters of NOPM? My wife would kill me as it would mean no Eastenders....Oh the joy... Get it? Joy? I assume some of the posters who are actually listening to Stuart Linnell are actually supporters of NOPM, so why are they listening to him and going against a code of practice they have chosen to follow? BTW I have chosen not to go to Sixfields and attend cup games and have purchased my Crawley, Carlisle (City were brilliant yesterday) and Shrewsbury tickets direct from those clubs.

Take your point willie, however its the choice of the bbc to pay for the contract, not ours (unless, as you say, you dont pay your tv licence). You dont have as much choice as, say, you shop at M&S because you dont support Primarks exploiting cheap pakistain labour.

NorthernWisdom

One of the sad parts about the infighting here is that most of the people involved agree about far more than they'd realise.

Where the ridiculous nature of the arguments are coming in.

SISU did this - ah, but ACL did that.

ACL did this - ah, but SISU did this too.

There can be more than one story going on, and the evilness of a certain side doesn't stop there being a story elsewhere either; the alternative stories don't even invalidate the main narrative... but they're probably worth looking at too. Unfortunately the subplots are slipping by in the meantime, as we bicker.

Finding this a slightly odd approach btw, to define people by message board. That applies to all sides.

Take your point willie, however its the choice of the bbc to pay for the contract, not ours (unless, as you say, you dont pay your tv licence). You dont have as much choice as, say, you shop at M&S because you dont support Primarks exploiting cheap pakistain labour.

Thanks Reg, good sensible point and you're absolutely right. It is the BBC's choice to pay, and to cease to pay a licence fee is pretty extreme. My point is that many posters are very vociferous about NOPM and then listen to BBC, totally contradicting their view and stance and then use such a contradiction to slate somebody who they feel is pro sisu with a differing view to theirs.

I've read posts saying "cancel 'Iplayer' because the club benefit from it", "buy away tickets from away clubs because it starves the club of 5% of the ticket value". Again totally valid if that is their view, they are entitled to it and I will respect it.

What I don't respect is people calling other supporters, muppets, sisu rentboys, scabs, scum and worse. But if such individuals do such things whilst hiding behind the banner of NOPM, and are offended by differing opinions perhaps they should also boycott CWR whose governing body as you correctly say have a choice to pay for the contract.

With this case in point, how far should NOPM go? If taken literally then ANYTHING that generates our owners revenue should be boycotted. If not then NOPM should be renamed something else. What? I don't know. I just hope it all gets resolved during my lifetime because all this infighting and name calling is no use to anyone..... In my opinion.:)

oakey

As I see it NOPM is very simple. Fans do not give any money to the club until
1) the team plays home games in Coventry
Some fans add a second aim
2) SISU sell up and leave.

Now, as with any campaign there will be a range of approaches from literalist/ fundamentalists who go to great lengths to ensure nothing goes to the club.
Others will be more liberal.
For me personally, and I think a huge number of other fans, it means no tickets for Sixfields, no replica shirts, no merchandise and buy away tickets from away club.
I make no judgements about others but think the above stance would be very effective if we stick together. It may not "work" in forcing SISU to return to Coventry or, better still, leave. It is still the right thing to do even if it fails to achieve either, for 2 reasons
A) To go to Sixfields means you accept watching your club play outside Coventry. It is not acceptable. SISU could, in future years, move us again, and again. How could we fight that when we have shown we would meekly follow now?
B) The move to Sixfields is unnecessary. We have access to a fine stadium if our owners show good sense and make a deal.
Keep the faith.
Stand firm
NOPM
PUSB

RegTheDonk

Cheers willie - you are right about name calling. People need to respect others decisions. If they dont agree, then give a constructive argumemt on why they should see the other picture. Its daft, like calling someone a tory nonce or a labour rent boy.

Oaksy makes a valid point a and b. It surely makes commercial sense to play at the Ricoh in terms of gate receipts and other merchandise you would sell, assuming that satisfies the majority of nopm supporters. Even if they committed to 10 years at acls rates, that would be plenty of time to secure and build a new stadium. Fisher says sisu are in it for the long haul, well there you are Tim...crack on. Or would that not distress acl?

Stevec189

As I see it NOPM is very simple. Fans do not give any money to the club until
1) the team plays home games in Coventry
Some fans add a second aim
2) SISU sell up and leave.

Now, as with any campaign there will be a range of approaches from literalist/ fundamentalists who go to great lengths to ensure nothing goes to the club.
Others will be more liberal.
For me personally, and I think a huge number of other fans, it means no tickets for Sixfields, no replica shirts, no merchandise and buy away tickets from away club.
I make no judgements about others but think the above stance would be very effective if we stick together. It may not "work" in forcing SISU to return to Coventry or, better still, leave. It is still the right thing to do even if it fails to achieve either, for 2 reasons
A) To go to Sixfields means you accept watching your club play outside Coventry. It is not acceptable. SISU could, in future years, move us again, and again. How could we fight that when we have shown we would meekly follow now?
B) The move to Sixfields is unnecessary. We have access to a fine stadium if our owners show good sense and make a deal.
Keep the faith.
Stand firm
NOPM
PUSB

I concur with remarks of my honourable friend Willie! PUSB

lordsummerisle

Please don't make me dig up your years of pro-Sisu posts on GMK(when being pro-Sisu was of course "mainstream".

ohitsaidwalker king power

Please don't make me dig up your years of pro-Sisu posts on GMK(when being pro-Sisu was of course "mainstream".

I Take your point people do need to guard against hypocrisy...but like most democracies people can change their mind about how they cast their vote based on performance of the government? This one has for 5 years performed very poorly, the evidence is irrefutable ...if it were a vote they wouldn't return a majority I suspect?

Houdi

On Friday night's phone in I did notice Clive Eakin continually refer to the move to Sixfields being 'short term' a phrase he repeatedly used, not quite sure how 3-5 years equates to short term. I think part of the problem is the is they portray a pretty typical BBC mindset, arrogance that the BBC can never be wrong. The BBC exerts a pretty powerful influence, I believe it controls more than 60% of total news output, and is funded by a compulsory tax, thus not really subjected to the normal commercial pressures.
If you don't like the Mail/Guardian/Times you don't have to buy them, however if you want to watch TV, legally you have to buy a licence. Recent 'events' at the BBC have shown that it doesn't handle criticism very well, always seeming slow and reluctant to admit errors.

fernandopartridge

On Friday night's phone in I did notice Clive Eakin continually refer to the move to Sixfields being 'short term' a phrase he repeatedly used, not quite sure how 3-5 years equates to short term. I think part of the problem is the is they portray a pretty typical BBC mindset, arrogance that the BBC can never be wrong. The BBC exerts a pretty powerful influence, I believe it controls more than 60% of total news output, and is funded by a compulsory tax, thus not really subjected to the normal commercial pressures.
If you don't like the Mail/Guardian/Times you don't have to buy them, however if you want to watch TV, legally you have to buy a licence. Recent 'events' at the BBC have shown that it doesn't handle criticism very well, always seeming slow and reluctant to admit errors.

I didn't realise Richard Littlejohn posted on here.

It is a short term move in the context that most clubs stay at one ground for 70 years or more. I am not sure why you're disputing the terms used.

Houdi

I didn't realise Richard Littlejohn posted on here.

It is a short term move in the context that most clubs stay at one ground for 70 years or more. I am not sure why you're disputing the terms used.

I'm not sure most Coventry City fans would consider the club being away from Coventry for probably at least 5 years as short term. I would wager that most fans consider the exile far too long already. Not sure why you would bring Littlejohn into this ,I was actually thinking of the Jimmy Saville episode, not some cheap political point scoring.

fernandopartridge

I'm not sure most Coventry City fans would consider the club being away from Coventry for probably at least 5 years as short term. I would wager that most fans consider the exile far too long already. Not sure why you would bring Littlejohn into this ,I was actually thinking of the Jimmy Saville episode, not some cheap political point scoring.

Cheap political point scoring? Seriously, what has the Jimmy Saville episode got to do with BBC local radio football coverage?

señor Santiago

ccfc home games fall in the jurisdiction of BBC radio northampton, why are radio cwr still covering the matches. The charter is Local radio for local sport

señor Santiago

These people only care about their jobs.They are not brought up city fans, only sing the sky blues cause for their wage check. Whether city play in coventry , northampton or mars, it makes no difference to them. They have their radio job. But once this is threatened watch them become the biggest campaigners for Cov in coventry

fernandopartridge

These people only care about their jobs.They are not brought up city fans, only sing the sky blues cause for their wage check. Whether city play in coventry , northampton or mars, it makes no difference to them. They have their radio job. But once this is threatened watch them become the biggest campaigners for Cov in coventry

Don't talk utter utter rubbish. The journalists are employed by the BBC in the capacity of broadcast journalist. If Coventry City ceased to be they'd spend more time covering something else.

Geoff Foster is a Coventry City fan, Clive Eakin isn't. Regardless of that, who they support doesn't influence the line taken.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
If you dont rate his views/opinion/contribution just dont listen to him...... problem solved.
he has no influence on or off the pitch

jesus-wept

Journalists hate websites it poaches on the domain they have enjoyed for years and asks questions of what they report and claim. Linnell has a view and an opinion and will strive to enforce that, doesn't make him right or wrong. He has been a journo probably all his working life and old habits die hard.

olderskyblue

who they support doesn't influence the line taken.

I think that's a bit naive fp. To suggest a journalist cannot influence people towards his own (or the BBC's) agenda is laughable. I'm not suggesting Linnel does try to do that, more of a general comment.

FWIW, he is a professional broadcaster therefore is very comfortable when discussing the issues on the radio, and the majority of callers I expect are not as well versed, and usually fail to put forward their argument well once challenged. Whether that is because their argument is just weak, or their debating skills are, or they are just nervous on the radio differs from caller to caller. I think Linnel tries to be "neutral" but sometimes his bias does show.

fernandopartridge

I think that's a bit naive fp. To suggest a journalist cannot influence people towards his own (or the BBC's) agenda is laughable. I'm not suggesting Linnel does try to do that, more of a general comment.

FWIW, he is a professional broadcaster therefore is very comfortable when discussing the issues on the radio, and the majority of callers I expect are not as well versed, and usually fail to put forward their argument well once challenged. Whether that is because their argument is just weak, or their debating skills are, or they are just nervous on the radio differs from caller to caller. I think Linnel tries to be "neutral" but sometimes his bias does show.

I was on about the team rather than any particular individual or group, i.e. that Clive Eakin's support of Tranmere doesn't affect his commentary on CCFC.

olderskyblue

I was on about the team rather than any particular individual or group, i.e. that Clive Eakin's support of Tranmere doesn't affect his commentary on CCFC.

Maybe, although you can definitely tell Rob Gurney is a sky blue fan from his commentary, and that Alan green isn't... :)

L

longjohnskyblue

If linnell were neutral as he claims, then he would treat both sidesof the argument equally - yet he consistently hasn't. Every time anyone from sisu are spouting the virtues of them he has treated them with kid gloves yet when acl or anyone with a valid point against he thinks he is rumpole of the bailey!

He constantly spouts on about being self employed (thus impartial) yet seems to forget to mention that he has for years presented the city awards ceremonies! So unless he did these for free, he has been paid for work by sisu, socan hardly call himself impartial! It's one thing to be partial when representing the city, it is a totally differnet one when you are in effect abusing the privileged positon you have presenting for the bbc!

Time to do one Linnell you are a disgrace to the bbc

CarpyCov84

If linnell were neutral as he claims, then he would treat both sidesof the argument equally - yet he consistently hasn't. Every time anyone from sisu are spouting the virtues of them he has treated them with kid gloves yet when acl or anyone with a valid point against he thinks he is rumpole of the bailey!

He constantly spouts on about being self employed (thus impartial) yet seems to forget to mention that he has for years presented the city awards ceremonies! So unless he did these for free, he has been paid for work by sisu, socan hardly call himself impartial! It's one thing to be partial when representing the city, it is a totally differnet one when you are in effect abusing the privileged positon you have presenting for the bbc!

Time to do one Linnell you are a disgrace to the bbc

Poor guy he can't seem to grasp either that if he is paid by SISU - HE WORKS FOR SISU lol

"No but I'm freelance"

TWAT Time to go Linnell your not wanted you muppet yor going the same way as fisher GET GONE !!!

Users who are viewing this thread