Strikers (1 Viewer)

higgs

According to a lot of people on here as mcnulty didn't start scoring until after Christmas they think Chaplin will be the same so we shouldn't need any new strikers in January then

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

steve82

14 for the season so far. Not bad before Christmas. Although if we did get him Robins would probably play him on the wing

Here’s another.... who’s your choice out of the current squad to play on the left to good effect?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

steve82

Well Jordys done okay there but is fading, like to see Allasani given a go...

Fair play, he really is the last roll of the dice for the huge issue that’s plaguing us down the left hand side.

I’ve reservations over him doing anything more than what we’ve seen this year.

harvey098

We really miss biamou. He linked play so well and JCH doesn’t do that and doesn’t score either.

It’s even more frustrating because I think our defence is as good as it should be for this standard but barring Luke Thomas our midfield and strikers are way off.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Hiwula and Bakayoko need a chance to step up. The current combination is not even close to working.

If the above doesn't work then we need to recycle or send them out on loan. Ponticelli can also be recalled too, and before people start laughing, I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest Chaplin is any better than him.

Some card suffling needs to be done in January as a matter of urgency, that also means strengthening the other midfield portions too.

Too many players not up for it this season.

Lord_Nampil

The problem we have is we have no one who can hold the ball up, ie missing max who did that last season, bringing the best out of Mcnulty, Bayliss and Shipley at the same time! JCH wins balls but does t hold it up, meaning if we don’t win the second ball we loose the ball and it comes straight back. Although I like JCH it’s clear Chaplin was brought in to play off Max but by the time he came in max was injuried for the season and the windows shut. Chaplin can’t play off JCH, we have gathered that now, and spends near enough all game with his back to goal and chasing the ball. With him doing that means we carry him as it doesn’t help the team, and when he does get the ball his confidence is so low it’s bormally a poor first touch. With the injuries to Jonas and the none return of Andreu added to Baka being out for 2 months sending Poticelli out on loan hasn’t worked for all 3 parties involved.

January can’t come soon enough we need a max replacement, recall of Potticelli and maybe another wide player! Though with Bayliss being none productive and Andreu being out we need another player to make things happen, that is another issue with the strikers no service or wrong decisions in the 18 yard box that mean the strikers feed off scraps!

Grendel

We really miss biamou. He linked play so well and JCH doesn’t do that and doesn’t score either.

It’s even more frustrating because I think our defence is as good as it should be for this standard but barring Luke Thomas our midfield and strikers are way off.

We don’t miss Biamou at all. There are no stats to justify what you say.

The only real reason we pushed on last season was the injury to jones which forced robins to alter his shape and style.

Bayliss came in and made an instant impact. He ran through defences and opened up space for the forwards - especially mcnulty. We only lost 3 of the league / play off games he played in. He was by far the biggest impact on the clubs upturn in fortunes.

He hasn’t manage to adapt to the higher level yet and as a result we are not creating.

Strikers aren’t receiving balls to feet as the midfield is not capable and it’s aimless high balls to chase.

Fans will use rope to hang some players but really extend it for others.

Those who say Chaplin will come good, needs a new striker to build around him etc what are they basing that on?

He’s no Armstrong who’d run behind defences from long balls via Fleck and use sheer pace. He has actually a surprising lack of pace. He’s no mcnulty either as he doesn’t create space on the penalty area and from what we’ve seen his finishing can be erratic.

To sign a development player for the fee everyone suggests we paid you’d struggle to see a return on that unless something really changes.

Fergusons_Beard

To those who want the donkey Shockley at our club take a long hard look back at the play off final.

Was nowhere to be seen.

There’s a reason he’s still at Exeter because he’s just not a footballer.

It isn’t a striker we need.

It’s pace-been saying it for forever. We need players who (like Thomas) scare the bejesus out of defenders by their sheer speed.

Can always get you out of trouble and suits Robins counter attacking (defensive) mentality.

What we don’t need is a non-mobile, snail-speed, mammoth with a turn circle like the Ark Royal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nick

Administrator
To those who want the donkey Shockley at our club take a long hard look back at the play off final.

Was nowhere to be seen.

It’s pace-been saying it for forever. We need players who (like Thomas) scare the bejesus out of defenders by their sheer speed.

Can always get you out of trouble and suits Robins counter attacking (defensive) mentality.

What we don’t need is a non-mobile, snail-speed, mammoth with a turn circle like the Ark Royal...

At least he put himself about. Jch is doing nothing but rolling about and Chaplin is hiding.

I'd put money on him doing better than what we currently have but like you say we need pace to feed them.

We put hiwula on yesterday and he ran at them, so when we saw it worked we took Thomas off.

We should have thrown more pace on from the bench the first time their defenders started backing off.

Hiwula in the middle running, Thomas right and allisanni left.

Grendel

Was nowhere to be seen.

Agreed.

4waspsting

The one problem is we have the ingredients but the Cook cannot put them together... poorly prepared.... only dishes up beans on toast

Magwitch

Grendel is right, we can talk about new strikers until the cows come home but without creativity and there was none yesterday you struggle, cap that with the reluctance to shoot, goalie didn’t have a save to make yesterday you’ll always struggle. Our defence was basically okay but they can’t hold out for ever

steve82

A few seeing the bigger picture here, midfield is the bigger issue, just. Creativity notably. Yes strikers are not hitting the back of the net enough but we’re measuring them on 6 - 8 shots a game across the side.

Look at yesterday 6 shots, 2 on target, one blocked shot and 3 off target. We’re measuring strikers on 2 chances a game. Premiership strikers don’t give you that return.

Now when strikers are getting these 1v1 chances it’s like a defender racing in on goal with them thinking I must score and snatching. The eyes light up and confidence is not there.

Give them better service first and then see what happens.

Nick

Administrator
A few seeing the bigger picture here, midfield is the bigger issue, just. Creativity notably. Yes strikers are not hitting the back of the net enough but we’re measuring them on 6 - 8 shots a game across the side.

Look at yesterday 6 shots, 2 on target, one blocked shot and 3 off target. We’re measuring strikers on 2 chances a game. Premiership strikers don’t give you that return.

Now when strikers are getting these 1v1 chances it’s like a defender racing in on goal with them thinking I must score and snatching. The eyes light up and confidence is not there.

Give them better service first and then see what happens.

It will probably help when they actually play up front. How's anybody going to set Chaplin up when he is in line with their midfield

steve82

It will probably help when they actually play up front. How's anybody going to set Chaplin up when he is in line with their midfield

Personally I think it’s because we’re trying to make a target man out of JCH. Now we’re all clear this isn’t happening and the ball don’t stick so we’re asking him to find crumbs in between the lines. A natural target man and a left sided winger and Thomas on the other I personally feel will push us up the pitch being a greater issue to our opponents.

At the minute we’re to easy and predictable to keep out

Or we just aim to get natural wingers in and play JCH as a forward facing striker with Hiwula. Use Chaplin as a sub and get that target man in the summer to compliment Chaplin.

Last edited:

Forever_Blue

Who are we going to sell in Jan to get more?

We will have spent about 750k on strikers. Can't just say "no they are shit" and just bring more in. That's not how it works, sadly
Managers always try this one when they’ve ran out of ideas, sign more players. When it’s quite clearly the manager that’s the problem.

Otis

More money to be wasted by Robins.
Not sure that's entirely fair and it's not always that simple.

As Clive Eakin quite succinctly put it yesterday, sometimes signings come off and sometimes they don't. It doesn't necessarily mean the players are poor players. Sometimes it's just not the right fit and a player can do well at one club and not at all at another.

And besides, Robins has hardly let us down before has he.

I think we all thought Ogogo was going to be a good signing for us and there are so many we have signed that we expected more from.

I would trust Robins to right any wrongs in January if he gets the chance.

steve82

More money to be wasted by Robins.

Easy to look back and suggest it’s wasted, not every signing comes off immediately.
Some players go on to click around other players or they just are not the right fit. This is L1 and we don’t have the capabilities to cherry pick players to compliment each other. It takes time and a building process.

Forever_Blue

Not sure that's entirely fair and it's not always that simple.

As Clive Eakin quite succinctly put it yesterday, sometimes signings come off and sometimes they don't. It doesn't necessarily mean the players are poor players. Sometimes it's just not the right fit and a player can do well at one club and not at all at another.

And besides, Robins has hardly let us down before has he.

I think we all thought Ogogo was going to be a good signing for us and there are so many we have signed that we expected more from.

I would trust Robins to right any wrongs in January if he gets the chance.
I’m afraid he’s got too many signings wrong this year for me, none that have improved the team, but I’m starting to think they may do better under a new manager. Just look at Man Utd and Southampton, new manager + same players = better results.

Warwickhunt

At least he put himself about. Jch is doing nothing but rolling about and Chaplin is hiding.

I'd put money on him doing better than what we currently have but like you say we need pace to feed them.

We put hiwula on yesterday and he ran at them, so when we saw it worked we took Thomas off.

We should have thrown more pace on from the bench the first time their defenders started backing off.

Hiwula in the middle running, Thomas right and allisanni left.
he took Thomas off because he was attacking and leaving holes behind him! MR is a frightened manager who will not try to win a game with intensive attacking play

Warwickhunt

Proves it when he said after Grimmer had scored that worldy goal at Wembly if "he had not scored i would have fined him as he should not have been there"!

chiefdave

Saw this on twitter from Ben Mayhew, well worth a follow btw. Between a front 4 of JCH, Chaplin, Bayliss and Thomas we average less than a goal a game.

Garryb80

I’m afraid he’s got too many signings wrong this year for me, none that have improved the team, but I’m starting to think they may do better under a new manager. Just look at Man Utd and Southampton, new manager + same players = better results.
Ipswich scunthorpe notts county
. Same scenario all doing just as bad.

DannyThomas_1981

The problem we have is we have no one who can hold the ball up, ie missing max who did that last season, bringing the best out of Mcnulty, Bayliss and Shipley at the same time! JCH wins balls but does t hold it up, meaning if we don’t win the second ball we loose the ball and it comes straight back. Although I like JCH it’s clear Chaplin was brought in to play off Max but by the time he came in max was injuried for the season and the windows shut. Chaplin can’t play off JCH, we have gathered that now, and spends near enough all game with his back to goal and chasing the ball. With him doing that means we carry him as it doesn’t help the team, and when he does get the ball his confidence is so low it’s bormally a poor first touch. With the injuries to Jonas and the none return of Andreu added to Baka being out for 2 months sending Poticelli out on loan hasn’t worked for all 3 parties involved.

January can’t come soon enough we need a max replacement, recall of Potticelli and maybe another wide player! Though with Bayliss being none productive and Andreu being out we need another player to make things happen, that is another issue with the strikers no service or wrong decisions in the 18 yard box that mean the strikers feed off scraps!
Lord Nampil. Agree with every word of this. Like most of us ignore Grendel - once in every 50 posts he gets lucky and posts something that is vaguely reasonable. The other 49 posts are dedicated to criticism of Biamou despite all the evidence of how vital Bianou was in our charge to Wembley last season.

DannyThomas_1981

We don’t miss Biamou at all. There are no stats to justify what you say.

The only real reason we pushed on last season was the injury to jones which forced robins to alter his shape and style.

Bayliss came in and made an instant impact. He ran through defences and opened up space for the forwards - especially mcnulty. We only lost 3 of the league / play off games he played in. He was by far the biggest impact on the clubs upturn in fortunes.

He hasn’t manage to adapt to the higher level yet and as a result we are not creating.

Strikers aren’t receiving balls to feet as the midfield is not capable and it’s aimless high balls to chase.

Fans will use rope to hang some players but really extend it for others.

Those who say Chaplin will come good, needs a new striker to build around him etc what are they basing that on?

He’s no Armstrong who’d run behind defences from long balls via Fleck and use sheer pace. He has actually a surprising lack of pace. He’s no mcnulty either as he doesn’t create space on the penalty area and from what we’ve seen his finishing can be erratic.

To sign a development player for the fee everyone suggests we paid you’d struggle to see a return on that unless something really changes.

DannyThomas_1981

‘The only reason we pushed on last season was the injury to Jones which caused Robins to change the formation’

Idiot. Just when I thought you couldn’t outdo yourself.

Jones was the best player in L2 pre-injury never mind our team. He was tearing defences apart and winning games on his own.

Grendel

‘The only reason we pushed on last season was the injury to Jones which caused Robins to change the formation’

Idiot. Just when I thought you couldn’t outdo yourself.

Jones was the best player in L2 pre-injury never mind our team. He was tearing defences apart and winning games on his own.

Sorry? We’d won 2 of the last 7 jones played in. Mcnulty scored 3 league goals (inc the Grimsby fluke) up to the point he was injured.

From the introduction of Bayliss he scored 20 goals.

AFCCOVENTRY

Sorry? We’d won 2 of the last 7 jones played in. Mcnulty scored 3 league goals (inc the Grimsby fluke) up to the point he was injured.

From the introduction of Bayliss he scored 20 goals.

McNulty did well because he had a foil in Biamou who did the hard graft up front to free up space for him.

Bayliss has been found out as a player and has not adjusted one bit to L1.

Unfortunately the recruitment this summer has been truely awful. McNulty money has been wasted. I doubt much funds will be released for Robins in this window.

Grendel

McNulty did well because he had a foil in Biamou who did the hard graft up front to free up space for him.

Bayliss has been found out as a player and has not adjusted one bit to L1.

Unfortunately the recruitment this summer has been truely awful. McNulty money has been wasted. I doubt much funds will be released for Robins in this window.

Biamou played in 15 of the games with Jones in which mcnulty scored 2 goals.

Old Warwickshire lad

Biamou improved massively as the season progressed. JCH is getting worse each game. When I watched Kevin Kyle I thought I had seen the worst striker I would ever see,JCH is making me question that view.

Users who are viewing this thread