Strengthening in the summer (1 Viewer)

Londonccfcfan

I wouldn’t take McCallum back. We need better.
He's young and will improve year on year as he has done. He's an incredible talent. He will be much much better player for this year's experience in championship playing week in week out.

I doubt he will come anywhere near us next year.

Lol for us to get better than him will cost millions next year.

Lucky to have him this year.

shmmeee

He's young and will improve year on year as he has done. He's an incredible talent. He will be much much better player for this year's experience in championship playing week in week out.

I doubt he will come anywhere near us next year.

Lol for us to get better than him will cost millions next year.

Lucky to have him this year.

I think he’s been one of the weaknesses in the team TBH. His distribution is very poor for such a key part of our forward play. He won’t take a man on, which as he’s essentially playing as a winger when we’ve got the ball is criminal.

We’re only so concerned with his defensive ability because Hyam needs cover so much. If we had a better back three and GK, we could have a proper LWB who contributes going forward and wouldn’t be so lopsided.

Londonccfcfan

I think he’s been one of the weaknesses in the team TBH. His distribution is very poor for such a key part of our forward play. He won’t take a man on, which as he’s essentially playing as a winger when we’ve got the ball is criminal.

We’re only so concerned with his defensive ability because Hyam needs cover so much. If we had a better back three and GK, we could have a proper LWB who contributes going forward and wouldn’t be so lopsided.

No TBH your clueless again to say you wouldn't have him back next year! He's just turned 20 in Sept. He will be way out of our league in a year or two. He's one of the best young left backs in the country. But you seem to know better than Norwich scouting system and Coventrys. Lol

Incredible talent. Another one who will be playing high end Championship or premier league before he's 23 in 3 years time.

shmmeee

No TBH your clueless again to say you wouldn't have him back next year! He's just turned 20 in Sept. He will be way out of our league in a year or two. He's one of the best young left backs in the country. But you seem to know better than Norwich scouting system and Coventrys. Lol

Incredible talent. Another one who will be playing high end Championship or premier league before he's 23 in 3 years time.

Great, well have him back in two or three years, right now if we had other options I’d drop him.

NorthernWisdom

Personally, I'm kind of hoping Norwich decide he's not worth bothering with, and we can get him back cheaper than we sold him for.

When he came into the side he was little boy lost, but he really stepped up. This season I think he's been solid until the past couple of games, at least. Have him, and hope Reid is good enough to push for his place, and I'd be reasonably comfortable.

Londonccfcfan

Great, well have him back in two or three years, right now if we had other options I’d drop him.

We have no other options explain how you think we can get an upgrade better LB/LWB than MaCallum next year? Not that he would he would give us a 2nd look next year.

Ok anyway fair enough you dont rate him.

shmmeee

We have no other options explain how you think we can get an upgrade better LB/LWB than MaCallum next year? Not that he would he would give us a 2nd look next year.

Its not about not rating him, it’s about how a player like him impacts the way the team play. If we were playing a back four I’d be fine to keep him on as a LB, but as a LWB I don’t think he offers enough on the ball 🤷

In a way similar to Hyam and Marosi. Both decent players for what they are, but for us to play how we want to we need better distribution and in the case of Marosi more commanding presence.

Londonccfcfan

Personally, I'm kind of hoping Norwich decide he's not worth bothering with, and we can get him back cheaper than we sold him for.

When he came into the side he was little boy lost, but he really stepped up. This season I think he's been solid until the past couple of games, at least. Have him, and hope Reid is good enough to push for his place, and I'd be reasonably comfortable.
Doubt we will get him back on the cheap, Norwich have invested alot of money on him. Frightening to think hes only just 20. Norwich have picked up a gem that we are developing just nicely for them.

Im more than happy how hes performed this season hes really stepped up from last season.

His career graph is only going one way like all youngsters.

Londonccfcfan

Its not about not rating him, it’s about how a player like him impacts the way the team play. If we were playing a back four I’d be fine to keep him on as a LB, but as a LWB I don’t think he offers enough on the ball 🤷

In a way similar to Hyam and Marosi. Both decent players for what they are, but for us to play how we want to we need better distribution and in the case of Marosi more commanding presence.

Disagree.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Doubt we will get him back on the cheap, Norwich have invested alot of money on him. Frightening to think hes only just 20. Norwich have picked up a gem that we are developing just nicely for them.

Im more than happy how hes performed this season hes really stepped up from last season.

His career graph is only going one way like all youngsters.

Personally, I think if we offered to forgo future payments - perhaps along with a modest up front fee - Norwich wouldn't be overly bothered about agreeing to a permanent transfer.

I think by my count they currently have 3 left backs in front of him - one being signed in January if I remember correctly. He's not going to break into their team anytime soon, especially as it's likely they're going to be a Premier League outfit once again next season.

Last edited:

Marty

Assuming we sign James and Ostigard, and keep the bulk of the current squad. Players like Shipley, Allen and Sheaf need to be moved on.

2x AM - Preferably pacey.
1x - target man.
1x LWB
2x - CB

SeaSeeEffCee

Personally, I think if we offered to forgo future payments - perhaps along with a modest up front fee - Norwich wouldn't be overly bothered about agreeing a permanent transfer.

I think by my count they currently have 3 left backs in front of him - one being signed in January if I remember correctly. He's not going to break into their team anytime soon, especially as it's likely they're going to be a Premier League outfit once again next season.
The fact they were happy to loan him out when they only had one senior left back in the summer speaks volumes imo.

Grendel

The fact they were happy to loan him out when they only had one senior left back in the summer speaks volumes imo.

That’s what I don’t get. If he’s such an incredible talent he’d be banging on the door in their squad

That said I think he’s played well enough for us and is the better option than Giles but the suggestion he’s premier league quality is a bit baffling

Brighton Sky Blue

That’s what I don’t get. If he’s such an incredible talent he’d be banging on the door in their squad

That said I think he’s played well enough for us and is the better option than Giles but the suggestion he’s premier league quality is a bit baffling

Assuming they go up he’ll still be in this league next season.

Londonccfcfan

Think that was probably always part of their plan. A championship loan playing week in week out.

Macallum no where near premier league yet or high end Championship. Hence why they buy a seasoned international for £6M

Macallum has alot of development still in him.

Norwich are buying alot of potential that they can afford to do.

mark82

He's certainly not Premier League quality yet. He's come a long way in a relatively short time though, so he could get there. Doubt Norwich will cut their losses just yet.

AFCCOVENTRY

Sam is defo not premier league material (from what I’ve seen so far) and i am not sure if Norwich think he’s good enough for their promotion push. If Norwich did think he was then they wouldn’t have signed a Greek international left back.

cc84cov

He's certainly not Premier League quality yet. He's come a long way in a relatively short time though, so he could get there. Doubt Norwich will cut their losses just yet.
He will have another loan next season before being sold

Londonccfcfan

Sam is defo not premier league material (from what I’ve seen so far) and i am not sure if Norwich think he’s good enough for their promotion push. If Norwich did think he was then they wouldn’t have signed a Greek international left back.

They should allow him to play against them next week.

Magwitch

McCallum is a twenty year old talent with almost two seasons experience under his belt, as for Premiership quality how many 20 year olds are ? if it was possible and affordable to grab him back I wouldn’t hesitate even for another season long loan I doubt that will be happen hence the snapping up of Josh Reid he will be another who plebs on here will expect a ready made Paulo Mancini.

SBAndy

I’d rather, on the whole, we developed our own players than someone else’s. Fine with him plugging a gap this year although I would have played Giles more. We need a starting LWB of our own in the summer though.

Also in agreement with shmmeee that he’s not good enough on the ball nor dynamic enough to be a true LWB and that will hamper us. He has his strengths and he’s not a bad player, it’s just that (in my opinion) his strengths aren’t exactly what we need them to be to make the system work.

covcity4life

He has an agenda wirh mcallum

Every fucking thread he starts a narrative that he is not playong well.

Also doesn't seem to be able to understand that Dabo is more attack minded than Sam but on flip side doesnt care that Sam is more defensive.

Donr forget he wanted Giles to start over him too

Dunno why some cov fans need a player to hate. Probably the fact he's a loanee. Bitter

Londonccfcfan

Also doesn't seem to be able to understand that Dabo is more attack minded than Sam but on flip side doesnt care that Sam is more defensive.

Dunno why some cov fans need a player to hate. Probably the fact he's a loanee. Bitter

He started the this particular argument saying he wouldn't take him back next year we need better. Lol.

He's one of only about 3/4 players in current squad guaranteed to be playing at this level next year. If we get relegated. There's no guarantees if we get relegated even the likes of Ohare will be playing championship.

shmmeee

I’m right here.

Unlike you I matured past 14 and so am able to make a point that McCallum isn’t the best option for our style of play going forward without it being some weird personal vendetta.

Londonccfcfan

McCallum is a twenty year old talent with almost two seasons experience under his belt, as for Premiership quality how many 20 year olds are ? if it was possible and affordable to grab him back I wouldn’t hesitate even for another season long loan I doubt that will be happen hence the snapping up of Josh Reid he will be another who plebs on here will expect a ready made Paulo Mancini.

Lol so true. Next year we will be dreaming we had Sam back.

shmmeee

He started the this particular argument saying he wouldn't take him back next year we need better. Lol.

He's one of only about 3/4 players in current squad guaranteed to be playing at this level next year. If we get relegated. There's no guarantees if we get relegated even the likes of Ohare will be playing championship.

You were going so well until that last sentence.

covcity4life

He's right tho. If we get relegated good chance o hare stays with us in league 1 dont you think?

Mcallum will either go back to Norwich or get a different championship loan. I don't think they send him down to league 1 again. They know he can do it there

Not Sure if you know but cov won league 1 last season with mcallum playing in THIS system

D

Deleted member 11652

He's right tho. If we get relegated good chance o hare stays with us in league 1 dont you think?

Mcallum will either go back to Norwich or get a different championship loan. I don't think they send him down to league 1 again. They know he can do it there

Not Sure if you know but cov won league 1 last season with mcallum playing in THIS system

I think people think he is older than he is. We will need better than the current Sam in a years time if we want to progress I agree. But in a years time, Sam will have improved so much and will be a better player himself. It would be crazy if we passed on an opportunity to have him again

Gibbo

In the wake of Covid, like January, I suspect the market will be very flat.

Ranked in priority order

1. Two left backs (we won't have one)

2. Replace any sales of players we really want to keep - O'Hare, Dabo & Hamer

3. Two central defenders (Ostigaard left, Fadz now too old, Hyam and Rose can compete for the third spot. I'd love Osti back. Drysdale as back up.

4. Assuming midfield is three from Hamer, Kelly, Sheaf & James with Allen as back up, another back up midfielder. If Hamer has gone see point 2.

5. Assuming Godden & Walker are fit, one promising striker for the future and one back up who is better than Max. See point 7.

6. Out (1) Shippers, Max, Baka, Pask, Mason, Kasta, Jobello. So it will not generate much cash

7. Out (2) Godden: Very good for League 1, maybe not for Championship, get some cash towards an upgrade?

8. Goalkeeper (x 2) Not priority unless there is a surprise availability

shmmeee

Not sure if you know, but the Championship isn’t League 1 and we’ll need to improve.

McCallum will probably end up at a lower Champ club next season, Ill grant you that. I think we need better for the LWB slot. Unless we move to a 433 or similar, which would nullify Dabo.

Giles was great going forward, poor at the back, McCallum is great at the back, poor going forward. We need a better balance IMO. But generally our WBs are attacking players more than defensive.

KenilworthSkyBlue

In the wake of Covid, like January, I suspect the market will be very flat.

Ranked in priority order

1. Two left backs (we won't have one)

2. Replace any sales of players we really want to keep - O'Hare, Dabo & Hamer

3. Two central defenders (Ostigaard left, Fadz now too old, Hyam and Rose can compete for the third spot. I'd love Osti back. Drysdale as back up.

4. Assuming midfield is three from Hamer, Kelly, Sheaf & James with Allen as back up, another back up midfielder. If Hamer has gone see point 2.

5. Assuming Godden & Walker are fit, one promising striker for the future and one back up who is better than Max. See point 7.

6. Out (1) Shippers, Max, Baka, Pask, Mason, Kasta, Jobello. So it will not generate much cash

7. Out (2) Godden: Very good for League 1, maybe not for Championship, get some cash towards an upgrade?

8. Goalkeeper (x 2) Not priority unless there is a surprise availability

We will have a LWB as we brought one in, in January.

Users who are viewing this thread