Strengthening in the summer (1 Viewer)

Gibbo

I don't reckon we will have heard of many of the signings in the summer, unless someone has been watching all the European leagues!
The post brexit rules mean that the kind of European signing we make will not qualify. Not even Hamer. As a source of players Europe has been pretty crap across the piece so no great loss. Our best source is out of contract quality - Kelly, Fadz, Marosi. What good players are out of contract currently in league 1?

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Sheffield Wednesday have a left footed Center Back called Van Aken he is a decent player and would be a decent signing but they also have Iorfa who is a Right sided defender predominantly a Right Center Back and can play RB has a bit of pace is strong and tall as well 25 as well so if we cannot get Osti then he could be a target

PUSB-We_are_going_up

There is also a dutch center back who is 23 and out of contract at the end of the season who plays for ADO Den Haag he is a left footed Center back by the name of Shaquille Pinas

Magwitch

I’m sure Robins will have his wish for list, once a season ends he tends to move quiet quickly. But of course it will depend what division we are in.

Winny the Bish

Gabriel Gudmundsson - 21 - LB - FC Groningen

4 assists this season playing LB & LWB in Eredivisie. Can also play as a winger. Only valued at £473k on Transfermarkt so under the radar. Very good dribbling and chance creation stats. Tipped for call-up to Sweden's national squad.

Last edited:

SBAndy

Mentioned in another thread but Max Clark, left back who’s spent the last 2 seasons at Vitesse and has just joined Hull on a contract until the end of the season. Would be free and seemingly did well over in Holland. Was being linked to some PL teams not long back.

AOM

Seen a lot of people mention signing Ostigard and James at the end of their contracts for next season.
Genuine question, but do we think that's likely to happen assuming we stay in the Championship?
Would love us to sign both permanently, but not sure if they'll get better offers elsewhere or extend their current contracts?

shmmeee

Mentioned in another thread but Max Clark, left back who’s spent the last 2 seasons at Vitesse and has just joined Hull on a contract until the end of the season. Would be free and seemingly did well over in Holland. Was being linked to some PL teams not long back.

Turned down Championship clubs to go back to Hull. Doubt he’d go anywhere else if they wanted him.

Winny the Bish

Seen a lot of people mention signing Ostigard and James at the end of their contracts for next season.
Genuine question, but do we think that's likely to happen assuming we stay in the Championship?
Would love us to sign both permanently, but not sure if they'll get better offers elsewhere or extend their current contracts?
Gyokeres more likely than Ostigard. Wouldn't be surprised if Osti gets Bundesliga offers.

mark82

Robins mentioned that James was signed with a view to offering him a contract in the summer, so clearly in the club's thoughts. Guess it depends where other offers come from.

Ostigard is pure speculation based on the fact he's out of contract and has commented that he doesn't want to sign a new contract at Brighton if he's not playing first team football. Sure if it comes to pass there will be a conversation but will depend on what else he has out there. To be honest, he's better than lower championship but probably not good enough for Premier League.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Gabriel Gudmundsson - 21 - LB - FC Groningen

4 assists this season playing LB & LWB in Eredivisie. Can also play as a winger. Only valued at £473k on Transfermarkt so under the radar. Very good dribbling and chance creation stats. Tipped for call-up to Sweden's national squad.

Transfermarkt valuations are pretty futile to be honest, as without sounding too cliche it's what clubs value their players at that matters.

Briles

I think we need to start bringing through our u23s again, we seem to have stopped that of late. Granted it may be due to the quality of the championship but we have brought a lot of players to develop and you'd hope in the coming seasons they will be pushing for first team. Only Bapaga really been used bench wise.

Winny the Bish

Transfermarkt valuations are pretty futile to be honest, as without sounding too cliche it's what clubs value their players at that matters.
Some clubs across Europe actually use TM's valuations in transfer negotiations. Yes it all comes down to how the club values them...but when a player has a relatively low valuation it can mean you're ahead of the curve on him.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Some clubs across Europe actually use TM's valuations in transfer negotiations. Yes it all comes down to how the club values them...but when a player has a relatively low valuation it can mean you're ahead of the curve on him.

Odd read. Perhaps some clubs might reference it when scouting players but considering the majority of valuations are calculated by volunteers who work outside of football I highly doubt they use TM in transfer negotiations as it's just not credible.

SleepyGinger

I’d be happy to sign James and sheaf on permanent deals.

Ostigard would be nice but unrealistic.

if Norwich go up I could see us getting Sam back again on loan which I would be happy with.

havent seen enough of Gyokores to think he is worth signing and the fact robins is starting Biamou over him speaks volumes.

Priority In summer should be:

LWB (if mccallum doesn’t come back)
Left footed centre back
A striker who can hold the ball up
An attacking midfielder/winger with pace

shmmeee

I’d be happy to sign James and sheaf on permanent deals.

Ostigard would be nice but unrealistic.

if Norwich go up I could see us getting Sam back again on loan which I would be happy with.

havent seen enough of Gyokores to think he is worth signing and the fact robins is starting Biamou over him speaks volumes.

Priority In summer should be:

LWB (if mccallum doesn’t come back)
Left footed centre back
A striker who can hold the ball up
An attacking midfielder/winger with pace

I wouldn’t take McCallum back. We need better.

Frostie

Odd read. Perhaps some clubs might reference it when scouting players but considering the majority of valuations are calculated by volunteers who work outside of football I highly doubt they use TM in transfer negotiations as it's just not credible.

100%
Transfermarkt is a great website for stats etc. but I don't know why their valuations are constantly churned out by the media, they're preposterous.

KenilworthSkyBlue

100%
Transfermarkt is a great website for stats etc. but I don't know why their valuations are constantly churned out by the media, they're preposterous.

Exactly. Not knocking his profession at all but take the social worker referenced in the article as a case in point to why the valuations are simply not credible. What qualifications or experience does he have to be able to appropriately calculate something as complex and subjective as a player's value?

SeaSeeEffCee

A lot of it depends on what league we’re in next season but I’d say we need a new striker, a first choice left back, a left sided CB, another additional CB and an attacking midfielder. Perhaps a slightly controversial one but I think we probably need a better goalkeeper as well.

shmmeee

Exactly. Not knocking his profession at all but take the social worker referenced in the article as a case in point to why the valuations are simply not credible. What qualifications or experience does he have to be able to appropriately calculate something as complex and subjective as a player's value?

You might say the same about property but generally any old twat can do it by finding three comparables and taking an average. Footballers are pretty much the same. Finger in the air, back of a fag packet, type stuff.

KenilworthSkyBlue

You might say the same about property but generally any old twat can do it by finding three comparables and taking an average. Footballers are pretty much the same. Finger in the air, back of a fag packet, type stuff.

Yes and no. Properties are usually valued based on what a similar property in the same area has previously sold for. There's not much else too it and there will be little room for subjectivity or nostalgia to be taken into account when calculating the guide price. This is proven by the fact that it's not often properties are sold or bought significantly over market value, whereas in football that's now part and parcel of the game.

Also, as with properties, whilst historic value of similar players factors into a footballer's valuation, there are considerably more variables to take into account - many of those being entirely subjective to the selling club. Replacement cost, market based cost, squad status, position, quality of league they're playing in, age, potential, then when you get to the bigger clubs factors such as brand and marketing value, contract length etc. Some of these are obviously measurable but you get my point.

I understand what you're saying but I think you've massively oversimplified it.

shmmeee

Yes and no. Properties are usually valued based on what a similar property in the same area has previously sold for. There's not much else too it and there will be little room for subjectivity or nostalgia to be taken into account when calculating the guide price. This is proven by the fact that it's not often properties are sold or bought significantly over market value, whereas in football that's now part and parcel of the game.

Also, as with properties, whilst historic value of similar players factors into a footballer's valuation, there are considerably more variables to take into account - many of those being entirely subjective to the selling club. Replacement cost, market based cost, squad status, position, quality of league they're playing in, age, potential, then when you get to the bigger clubs factors such as brand and marketing value, contract length etc. Some of these are obviously measurable but you get my point.

I understand what you're saying but I think you've massively oversimplified it.

Yeah but all those things are basically summed up by comparables. We do it all the time. “£3m for Wilson so we want £5m for Hamer”. It’s not like there’s some massive spreadsheet out there chairmen plug the numbers into to arrive at a value. It’s whatever you can get, which is generally determined by what else is out there. Give or take some deviations from the norm.

You might find a gem or misjudge and buy a lemon, but I don’t buy there’s some special skill involved.

Users who are viewing this thread