Strengthening in the summer (1 Viewer)

SleepyGinger

A lot of it depends on what league we’re in next season but I’d say we need a new striker, a first choice left back, a left sided CB, another additional CB and an attacking midfielder. Perhaps a slightly controversial one but I think we probably need a better goalkeeper as well.
I think Marosi is fine for where we are, bottom half of the championship. If we want to push on from there and improve on him and players like Hyam etc it will take investment, which may have to come from selling hamer.

shmmeee

I'm not so sure on that, he's going through a poor patch at the moment but he's so young and this is his first season at this level. We've seen how he's developed over the last 24 months so in 2 years time he could be twice the player.

He could be, but we’d only be loaning him back for a year and retarding the development of Reid in the meantime.

I’m happy to give one of our young players a chance to develop, but for me if we’re bringing a player in on loan they have to be more rounded or offer a lot more than what we have.

Liquid Gold

He could be, but we’d only be loaning him back for a year and retarding the development of Reid in the meantime.

I’m happy to give one of our young players a chance to develop, but for me if we’re bringing a player in on loan they have to be more rounded or offer a lot more than what we have.
Yeah fair enough, I was looking at it more if we could get him back from Norwich for a reasonable fee.

Frostie

MacAnthony mentions him regularly on his podcast. Would take a significant fee to prize him away from Peterborough.

Exactly why MacAnthony does it. The players don't need agents linking them to other clubs like we so often see, MacAnthony & Fry do it for them to try & create a bidding war.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Exactly why MacAnthony does it. The players don't need agents linking them to other clubs like we so often see, MacAnthony & Fry do it for them to try & create a bidding war.

Credit to them. As egotistical as they both are, they certainly know how to maximise the value of their own players.

better days

Fry used to be notorious for having a massive turnover of players when he was a manager as he was rumoured to share a % on any profits made

fernandopartridge

He has an agenda wirh mcallum

Every fucking thread he starts a narrative that he is not playong well.

Also doesn't seem to be able to understand that Dabo is more attack minded than Sam but on flip side doesnt care that Sam is more defensive.

Donr forget he wanted Giles to start over him too

Dunno why some cov fans need a player to hate. Probably the fact he's a loanee. Bitter

McCallum gets a lot of unfair criticism, given his relative lack of experience he doesn't look out of place at all at this level, he is a pretty dependable solid player. I think people see a run and cross from Giles and forget about all the other stuff.

NorthernWisdom

McCallum gets a lot of unfair criticism, given his relative lack of experience he doesn't look out of place at all at this level, he is a pretty dependable solid player. I think people see a run and cross from Giles and forget about all the other stuff.
McCallum's been fine this season. He had a couple of ropey games, ironically when Giles had just left, but overall he's been solid.

Liquid Gold

McCallum could have just done with a rest for a couple of games. He's doing remarkably well given his age and the first time playing at this level.

covcity4life

Good article on the athletic about mcallum

Seems to have head screwed on and always looking to improve and has real respect for manager decisions

Frostie

McCallum could have just done with a rest for a couple of games. He's doing remarkably well given his age and the first time playing at this level.

Spot on. I think because of how long he's been around our first team people forget just how young he is. In the majority of matches he is the youngest player on the pitch.

NorthernWisdom

Spot on. I think because of how long he's been around our first team people forget just how young he is. In the majority of matches he is the youngest player on the pitch.
When he first came in the side, he was a little boy lost. His rate of progression has been astonishing. Now, he may have hit his ceiling (who knows!) but from where he came from to now has been really impressive.

shmmeee

Right here 🙋

Still think him and Hyam’s use of the ball is our biggest stumbling block when we’ve got possession, and his unwillingness to push forwards.

I get he’s young and everything and we’ll benefit from training him up, but looking purely at the team.

DannyThomas_1981

Agree with this Gold. I'm certain that Robins was planning on more rotation of the squad this season given twice weekly games.

But with the injuries to JJ, God, Kelly, Dabo, Walker combined with Hillsner, Allen, Jobello, Shipley and possibly Sheaf not stepping up to the requirements of this Division....it has not totally gone to plan. I would have liked to have seen more rotation of Giles before he left (looked decent to me for certain games and gave us pace).

In terms of next season, I'm certain that Robins will be looking to add more quality/depth in terms of players of the standard to rotate in and out of the starting 11 and give the key players more recovery.

NortonSkyBlue

McCallum has been exposed by the players in front of him on his side, He is often 1v2 and is damned if he commits and damned if he doesn't in some games but not last weekend where we went longer and had a system where we had forwards who could hold the ball and bring oncoming players into the phase of play. For me McCallum is learning on the job at a higher level than he has ever played at before and that is why I believe Norwich loaned him out at our risk not theirs, for their benefit.
His temperament is first class and although his distribution can be erratic I believe he is destined for the top. The criticism he gets on here is unwarranted in my opinion but its just that: an opinion and the only opinion that matters is the manager who picks him.

Hertsccfc

Right here 🙋

Still think him and Hyam’s use of the ball is our biggest stumbling block when we’ve got possession, and his unwillingness to push forwards.

I get he’s young and everything and we’ll benefit from training him up, but looking purely at the team.
Fair enough and it is just a matter of opinion. I feel he uses the ball well. Whereas Giles had only one approach which worked occasionally, I feel McCalllum has much more variation going forward. He does get crosses in but importantly also plays some good passes inside, particularly to O'Hare. He is far less predictable going forward than Giles was and that makes it much harder for the opposition. And he is a far better defender.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Lot of managers do that, it’s called a bonus can get you a house in Sandbanks.

If that's true it's got to be one of the most stupid things to put into a managers contract - creates a conflict of interest of doing what's best for the team and what's best for them financially. I guess they do it to placate managers having star players sold. Can't complain as much if you're getting a tidy sum added into the bank account.

Users who are viewing this thread