Stones at the Ricoh (1 Viewer)

Grendel

They are not even the biggest selling band to play in Coventry.

Grendel

.... and ?

It’s odd why it’s deemed if much interest in a football forum. Couldn’t see it happening on a Villa forum - people getting excited that some band are playing at the NEC - it isn’t a revenue earner for the city - it’s straight in and out for concerts - only benefit is the tour promoter, wasps and oh you.

NortonSkyBlue

They are not even the biggest selling band to play in Coventry.
Yes the Beatles played in Coventry, before my time but I saw many bands at the treetops, tiffanys(née Locarno) who went on to become major superstars.
If we are comparing then Springsteen and Stewart are major artists but I suspect the Stones Rolling in to town will be like Manchester United coming instead of Barnet

italiahorse

It’s odd why it’s deemed if much interest in a football forum. Couldn’t see it happening on a Villa forum - people getting excited that some band are playing at the NEC - it isn’t a revenue earner for the city - it’s straight in and out for concerts - only benefit is the tour promoter, wasps and oh you.

Surely it improves the status of the City if high profile bands consider coming here ?
It's also better for local fans not having to travel to watch great concerts and sporting events in places like London ;)

wingy

I don't get all the to and froing.
My first instinct was great they're coming to Coventry and I, tickets permitting will be able to go and do something I should have done 40 yrs ago.
Stadium, Stadium owners wasn't on my radar, Locality was as I hadn't really been aware they were on the road.
Probably makes me shallow or whatever but I think apart from shelling out hefty dosh currently for me I will have a great time.
Perfectly understand peoples opinion on Taste/preferences but lets drop the secondry sideshow around it .
Just doesn't register for me.

Grendel

Moff

Wasps are good for Coventry?
giphy.gif

I see what you did there Otis you cheeky monkey , you know I meant the Big Weekend and The Stones, or was I actually referring to CCFC and their academy, as both great for Coventry!

Moff

Calm down I never mentioned Wasps .
If someone on a Stones thread says something going on elsewhere is better, then my opinion is it's sour grapes.

When the person saying it says that both events are good for Coventry and that he prefers another due to the acts at that event, then your sour grapes comment was clearly relating to Wasps.

I will leave it there as I don't want our disagreement to derail the thread, and I agree with LAST's point that the Stones coming to Coventry rather than Birmingham is good publicity for the City

Hobo

So we have:
Rolling Stones
Liam Gallagher
Stereophonics
Tears for Fears
UB40
Paloma Faith
Snow Patrol
Billy Ocean
Pretenders
Simple Minds
and KT Tunstall all playing in Cov this year and they've yet to announce the Godiva lineup!

Great for the city I think.

And the Godiva line up still to come

Hobo

There going even further down as it’s not them either

There are only three groups that have sold more than the Stones and Pink Floyd wasn't one of them.

Hobo

Based on Album Sales (Groups)

1. Beatles
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Eagles
4. Pink Floyd
5. AC/DC
6. Rolling Stones
7. Aerosmith
8. Metallica
9. Van Halen
10. U2

You've gone wrong with album sales, singles used to be a bigger market and where the money was.
1 Beatles
2 Abba
3 Queen
4 Rolling Stones.
Although I wouldn't take any figures as gospel as a lot are estimated.

Hobo

Just bought all my albums out the loft and invested in a new deck to pump into the 'uprated' surround sound.
Mrs well chuffed ;)

Glad she likes your record collection.

italiahorse

You've gone wrong with album sales, singles used to be a bigger market and where the money was.
1 Beatles
2 Abba
3 Queen
4 Rolling Stones.
Although I wouldn't take any figures as gospel as a lot are estimated.

Led Zeppelin never sold singles only albums.

For those still hanging in here ;)
If you want to take into account both singles and albums here is a link.

List of best-selling music artists - Wikipedia

Groups only

1. Beatles
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Pink Floyd
4. Queen
5. Ac/Dc
6. Rolling Stones
7. Abba
8. Eagles
9. U2
10. Aerosmith