Stokes (2 Viewers)

dongonzalos

So lessons learnt - faggots are tasty brown balls of questionable source

We should not use the word anywhere but in the butchers or quicksave

Internal investigation also has a double meaning - this shouldnt happen in the butchers or quicksave

Or you just don't refer to someone as a 'faggot' if you don't think they are not behaving like a 'real man'

I would refrain from saying don't be such a.......

Poof
Gay boy
Homo
ponce
Bender
Queer
Fag

If someone is behaving in a weak way

It's basically two fold

1) Using derogatory terminology used to describe gay people.
2) Using that same terminology when criticising someone's behaviour in a negative way. Such as they are not manning up so they are behaving like a gay person.

oscillatewildly

I think we're all missing something here - I think Stokes may have secretly signed for Villa. This is the kind of controversy that has been plaguing that club all season.

Nick

Administrator
Come on man, if you're really trying to claim that straight white blokes face discrimination like gays or racial minorities do are then you're better off on a Donald Trump forum. It's the dullest argument going.

The word faggot has been used to make gay people feel like shit for years. By his own admission, Stokes says he didn't know that. What's wrong with teaching him about it?

As others have said, it's all about context. I don't think anyone on here thinks Stokes meant to be homophobic (at least not consciously). But again, by his own admission, he didn't realise the context he used was offensive to plenty of people. I'm genuinely surprised that people are more concerned about bleeping out a word in a Pogues song than they are about our own players embarrassing themselves and the club on social media.

Nothing is wrong with teaching him about it, which is why I suggested it from the start?

Is it ok for women who hang around with gay men to refer to themselves as "Fag hags"?

Is some random bloke from the other side of the world really offended by Chris Stokes tweeting that? I doubt it.

It was stupid, he clearly didn't think but it has been blown massively out of proportion.

ajsccfc

Is it ok for women who hang around with gay men to refer to themselves as "Fag hags"?

Yep, it's not meant as derogatory so the context makes it a world away from someone having it shouted at them by a stranger or whatever other use.

SBT

Is some random bloke from the other side of the world really offended by Chris Stokes tweeting that? I doubt it.

Admit it, you don't really know though, do you?

When was the last time you talked to a gay friend of yours about how they felt about people using words like that?

hill83

Is it ok for women who hang around with gay men to refer to themselves as "Fag hags"?.

3aecb5a060c6b644cd80ed5f99a1ef02e3f9a6522b2eeaab95bbab3f78056d99.jpg

Nick

Administrator

When was the last time you talked to a gay friend of yours about how they felt about people using words like that?

I don't know, that is why I was asking if they would really be offended?

I must admit, I have never met any gay people who are more extreme for their rights and would go out of their way to be offended by a 3rd teir baseball player in the US saying it. Just blokes who don't make a big deal out of the fact they are gay.

Happy for you to explain...

I don't really get offended by much at all, but then I can't say I have been in the position of for example a gay person so probably am a bit naive.

Moff

Surely it depends how outraged people are? The press seem to be whipping up a storm. It is regrettable but the tub thumping seems a little over the top.

He made a stupid mistake, and has apologised. If he made it again, then he cant argue he hasnt learnt that the word is unaccpetable.

SBT

Surely it depends how outraged people are? The press seem to be whipping up a storm. It is regrettable but the tub thumping seems a little over the top.

Exactly! I just find it strange that people who by their own admission have little to no idea about how gay people might react to that word seem to already know what the right level of outrage should be.

Apropos of nothing, here's Louis CK's sketch on it: [video=youtube;CK5KmhLKEwM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK5KmhLKEwM[/video]

dongonzalos

It is a derogatory word and
It's also been used in a derogatory way.
If for example he said the players were acting like a bunch of gay men. It's still derogatory due to the context that their behaviour was the same as gay people.
Stokes was one step worse as he also used a derogatory word as well.

However he made a mistake apologised and does by the sound of it need education in diversity. It wouldn't do the club's image any harm to say all staff at the club will have some.

If think if he hadn't removed it and apologised so quick that would justify this ongoing outrage, but it really needs to stop now. The kids made a mistake and held his hand up.

Brylowes

It is a derogatory word and
It's also been used in a derogatory way.
If for example he said the players were acting like a bunch of gay men. It's still derogatory due to the context that their behaviour was the same as gay people.
Stokes was one step worse as he also used a derogatory word as well.

However he made a mistake apologised and does by the sound of it need education in diversity. It wouldn't do the club's image any harm to say all staff at the club will have some.

If think if he hadn't removed it and apologised so quick that would justify this ongoing outrage, but it really needs to stop now. The kids made a mistake and held his hand up.
You say ,it wouldn't harm the clubs image to say all staff at the club will get some education
in diversity, I don't disagree with this, but , Erm! how much does it cost.
If it's much, can we just say it.

chiefdave

You say ,it wouldn't harm the clubs image to say all staff at the club will get some education
in diversity, I don't disagree with this, but , Erm! how much does it cost.
If it's much, can we just say it.

I imagine that's what will probably happen. He'll be told not to do it again then after the weekend they'll be off for the summer. By the time they come back it will be forgotten about.

D

Deleted member 4439

As belonging to the, ahem, diversity lot, I'd like to say a few things.

1. Imo, what Stokes did was no big thing, no big drama; just a little careless.
2. Most of us diversity lot are happy to take the piss out of ourselves, and to have our non-diversity mates do like-wise: it is, as folks here have pointed out, about context and meant harm/no-harm. And, btw, we often despair at some of the extreme wing of the divide (on both sides).
3. I feel genuinely thankful, and welcomed here, by such a level-headed, each to their own, live and let live group of forum users.

Thank you.

Shakeitup

I don't know, that is why I was asking if they would really be offended?

I must admit, I have never met any gay people who are more extreme for their rights and would go out of their way to be offended by a 3rd teir baseball player in the US saying it. Just blokes who don't make a big deal out of the fact they are gay.

Happy for you to explain...

I don't really get offended by much at all, but then I can't say I have been in the position of for example a gay person so probably am a bit naive.

Hmm, I bet you've been in a few compromising positions!

Nick

Administrator
As belonging to the, ahem, diversity lot, I'd like to say a few things.

1. Imo, what Stokes did was no big thing, no big drama; just a little careless.
2. Most of us diversity lot are happy to take the piss out of ourselves, and to have our non-diversity mates do like-wise: it is, as folks here have pointed out, about context and meant harm/no-harm. And, btw, we often despair at some of the extreme wing of the divide (on both sides).
3. I feel genuinely thankful, and welcomed here, by such a level-headed, each to their own, live and let live group of forum users.

Thank you.

Are you the one with the big hair and glasses?

diversity-720x390.jpg

ajsccfc

They used to fling that young one around like a ragdoll at the start, I wonder if they fired him once he grew too big?

wingy

Anyone know if he was at the ccfctv awards last night ?
His twitter feed last night suggested not?
What gives?
I'm surprised he hasn't been involved back with the team yet? didn't think his injury was particularly serious beyond a two to three week absence.
Let's hope he gets back to finish the season this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread