Stokes (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
In trouble after offensive remarks on Twitter.

I can see people seem to be jumping all over the offended bandwagon.

chiefdave

I can see people seem to be jumping all over the offended bandwagon.

He deleted it pretty much straight away and apologised but as usual the only people giving him hassle are non-CCFC fans who don't follow him. Type of people who are just waiting for something they can be offended by.

superskyblue

Stupid and ill-judged but it appears it wasn't intended to be offensive. Slap on the wrists, maybe a fine and move on.

superskyblue

Referencing the Chelsea v Spurs match he said 'This games embarrassing to watch. Bunch of faggots'. The poor grammar alone deserves investigating!

Nick

Administrator
He deleted it pretty much straight away and apologised but as usual the only people giving him hassle are non-CCFC fans who don't follow him. Type of people who are just waiting for something they can be offended by.

There's one guy saying he will never watch Coventry City again.

Another saying he should be sacked.

They seem to just love a bit of outrage / offensiveness.

I think the term was directed at football players while he watched a game, rather than an individual.

rupert_bear

Why the fuck do politicians, celebs, sports stars big or small bother with stupid websites like Twitter and Facebook recipe for problems as we witness regularly.

Nick

Administrator
Why the fuck do politicians, celebs, sports stars big or small bother with stupid websites like Twitter and Facebook recipe for problems as we witness regularly.

Thing is, he probably meant it as if he was talking to his mates.

I doubt he meant to offend anybody who is gay.

But yes, a bit of social media training over the summer is needed and a slap on the wrist.

chiefdave

'Faggot' is also a Irish and Scouse word meaning 'lazy person'. This is the word used in the Irish song 'Fairytale of New York' which caused controversy a few years ago due to British radio stations censoring it, believing it was using the American pejorative meaning

chiefdave

People like Stokes probably don't consider themselves 'famous' enough for it to be an issue. Most of the players seem to use it to chat with each other.

Nick

Administrator
There's one account for gay palace fans, WTF is that all about?

I'd much rather just treat everybody the same. If the guy next to me at the game is black, white, green, purple, gay, straight etc it doesn't really matter.

Why the need to make special clubs and stuff and then moan about equality? Don't see the point in it.

No doubt there will be all sorts of people jumping on the bandwagon who have no idea who Chris Stokes is, and have never watched Coventry City.

Of course he shouldn't have said it, and the club were right to nip it in the bud but it will be blown WELL out of proportion.

skybluegod

It's not a huge deal yet again, social media making it out to be something more than it is. Everybody has used the term, 'faggot" or said 'that's gay', type of thing. Yes he should be more aware as a footballer, as he is under a micro-scope permanently, but he clearly wasn't intending to cause offensive.

ajsccfc

It's a stupid thing to say, but I think it was more just stupid than him trying to use any kind of hate speech.

I like this comment on the club Facebook item about it

Was it regarding our six fingered sister loving M69 rivals becoming Prem Champs? Best we knuckle down and show some similar ambition hey SISU??

Somehow about SISU.

dongonzalos

Give him some diversity training.
Lots of people refer to offensive slang terms for gays when they are talking about footballers diving around.
They throw out these old sayings without thinking about what it actually really means.
I am sure he won't be homophobic, he is probably just rattling off a common phrase he has heard spoken so many times without actually thinking.
The club should arrange diversity training and social media training for all the players at every level

Last edited:

matesx

we live in "offended" times

some people really need to lighten up ffs

Covstu

stupid comment, you have to be so careful particularly if your in the public eye. Fine him and move on though.

Nick

Administrator
Random gay people are getting outraged about it.

I could understand if he was preaching hate, coming out with Tyson Fury type stuff but far from it.

Surely it is obvious he was a little bit silly and didn't think before pressing Send.

Nothing that half a day in a classroom when he should have had the day off won't sort. Everybody happy.

Brylowes

Referencing the Chelsea v Spurs match he said 'This games embarrassing to watch. Bunch of faggots'. The poor grammar alone deserves investigating!
So he's offended short round people that look and smell like meat, but are actually
cheap cuts of offal

torchomatic

You only have to read the reactions of a lot of people on here when it comes to faux shock and outrage.

There's one guy saying he will never watch Coventry City again.

Another saying he should be sacked.

They seem to just love a bit of outrage / offensiveness.

I think the term was directed at football players while he watched a game, rather than an individual.

dongonzalos

Club need to act quick pre emptive strike will nip it in the bud,

"He apologised
Deleted it
Understands his mistake
We have arranged diversity training for the whole club as a result. "

Winny the Bish

He'll be fined, made to take some sensitivity training course, then do an event with a local LGBT charity.

It's not that he's offending anyone in particular, it's just incredibly stupid! Clubs don't need bad PR like that and need to be seen as taking steps against it.

Nick

Administrator
He'll be fined, made to take some sensitivity training course, then do an event with a local LGBT charity.

It's not that he's offending anyone in particular, it's just incredibly stupid! Clubs don't need bad PR like that and need to be seen as taking steps against it.

Im not sure about forcing him to go to an LGBT charity. Not sure what difference it would make.

dongonzalos

I could understand if he was preaching hate, coming out with Tyson Fury type stuff but far from it.

Surely it is obvious he was a little bit silly and didn't think before pressing Send.

Nothing that half a day in a classroom when he should have had the day off won't sort. Everybody happy.

Don't like Fury
But even I enjoyed "you were beaten by a fat boy" as he slapped his bare fat belly to Kiltchko
How he is heavyweight champion of the world is nearly as bizzare as Leicester winning the league the table!!!

chiefdave

There's one account for gay palace fans, WTF is that all about?

Why the need to make special clubs and stuff and then moan about equality? Don't see the point in it.

That does my head in. On the one hand people complain about discrimination and being made to feel an outsider and on the other they form their own clubs and separate themselves from everyone else.

Nick

Administrator
That does my head in. On the one hand people complain about discrimination and being made to feel an outsider and on the other they form their own clubs and separate themselves from everyone else.

Exactly.

There's no need for it.

I can understand that some people live in the dark ages but that is more their problem, I couldn't give a shit if the bloke who sits by us at the game is gay or straight. There are probably a fair few gay people who go to the city games, the same as different races. There's no need to give every race / sexual orientation their own block of seats with a little flag.

It reminds me a bit of the other thread about the woman breast feeding.

ajsccfc

That's the difference that ought to be highlighted. He should acknowledge that you shouldn't use these words as they are loaded with meaning, but at the same time he wasn't projecting that same meaning with his use. Won't do it again, everybody gets on with their lives and nobody has to faint in outrage or boycott anyone with left feet or whatever people are planning.

skybluetony176

Bloody vegetarians. I love a faggot myself.

Especially with chips and peas. Top tip. If it's the cook from frozen type leave the lid of for the final ten minutes and they'll get lovely and crispy on top. Yummy.

Warwickhunt

Thing is, he probably meant it as if he was talking to his mates.

I doubt he meant to offend anybody who is gay.

But yes, a bit of social media training over the summer is needed and a slap on the wrist.
Nick I think he would have had less Shite if he had said "Bunch of Knobs!" this PC stuff is beyond a joke now

LB87ccfc

Sack him, Hang him, stone him in the middle of town, should never play for the club ever again, outrageous behaviour......... Sorry whats the big issue here again.

He's apologised, should be fined and educated like it sounds like he will be.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

He said he ‘didn’t know what the term meant’. Really mate? What 24 year-old doesn’t know what faggot means these days?

That aside, he apologised and all is fine – no need to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Users who are viewing this thread