Something urgent needs to happen (1 Viewer)

SBT

It’s been mentioned several times before on this forum that we’re too complacent when it comes to defending teammates who are getting roughed up by the opposition. Should our management team be encouraging the players to be more proactive in complaining to the ref about this? Perhaps a Micky Doyle coaching session is required?
This comes up all the time, and I’m sure there’s a middle ground to be found, but ultimately there’s no point in trying to force a team of nice guys to try and pretend to be horrible bastards. I know there are some fans who enjoy watching players chase the ref around and kick the shit out of each other for 90 minutes, but the fact that we don’t default to The Dark Arts every time doesn’t seem to stop us winning games, so why change it?

SlowerThanPlatt

This comes up all the time, and I’m sure there’s a middle ground to be found, but ultimately there’s no point in trying to force a team of nice guys to try and pretend to be horrible bastards. I know there are some fans who enjoy watching players chase the ref around and kick the shit out of each other for 90 minutes, but the fact that we don’t default to The Dark Arts every time doesn’t seem to stop us winning games, so why change it?
Yep, it’s for the lower leagues. Did Doyle play for another Championship club after leaving us?

Reactions: SBT

SBT

Yep, it’s for the lower leagues. Did Doyle play for another Championship club after leaving us?
Played about a dozen games for Sheffield United in the year they were relegated to L1. Other than that his career was all L1 or below. Did brilliantly there tbf.

Hobo

Words are easy once you've been caught

He didn't have to make any statement.

Don't be daft. It was an accident. The bloke said so. Why would he lie?

He hasn't used the word 'accident'. He said what he tried to do he got wrong and admits full responsibility. He admits he put a player at risk of injury.

People wanted the FA to look at it. They have done, he has a three match ban in accordance with the rules.

Time to move on from this now.

Cov kid 55

Agree with a couple of other posters, this is a decent apology which he didn’t have to give, does him credit in my opinion. It’s not as if by apologising he was going to reduce his penalty.

steve cooper

Agree with a couple of other posters, this is a decent apology which he didn’t have to give, does him credit in my opinion. It’s not as if by apologising he was going to reduce his penalty.
But why did he do it in the first place? It looked to me he ran towards saka, elbowed him, and ran away.

ProfessorbyGrace

What a load of melodramatic, PR-spun horse shite.

‘It was not my intention, as a dedicated professional, to appear to blatantly and deliberately plant one’s elbow into Sakamoto’s cheek, however, now that one has been rumbled, one must appear apologetic.’

At least the EFL have grown a pair on this occasion, and I’m glad they’ve punished the player.

Otis

Yes, I’m not saying he was right, and it’s totally right that he was punished, just think the apology and acceptance of the charge gives him some credit. Some won’t agree, fair enough.
Isn't he only making the apology because he's been caught though?

He wouldn't have made that statement if he hadn't have been charged would he.

He didn't apologise at the time did he, or go back to see how Saka was after he was left in a crumpled heap on the ground, or moments later, once play had stopped.

SBT

He didn't apologise at the time did he, or go back to see how Saka was after he was left in a crumpled heap on the ground, or moments later, once play had stopped.
No-one was asking for him to make this apology and I don’t remember any players in similar situations doing so either. Personally I think it’s to his credit that he said something when he didn’t have to, even if it doesn’t justify what happened.

Otis

No-one was asking for him to make this apology and I don’t remember any players in similar situations doing so either. Personally I think it’s to his credit that he said something when he didn’t have to, even if it doesn’t justify what happened.
He obviously saw he caught him at the time. Could have at least gone to Sakamoto after and said something, or given him a pat on the shoulder or something.

So many players do offer some kind of sympathetic gesture after they have caught a player and it was an honest challenge.

I'm glad he's made the statement, but I'm not quite buying it.

Astute

I'll give him credit.

It was a perfectly timed elbow that the match officials missed.

So why did it take until the EFL got involved and banned him for a few games for any kind of apology to be forthcoming?

Skyblue Bangkok

I'll give him credit.

So why did it take until the EFL got involved and banned him for a few games for any kind of apology to be forthcoming?
Because he hadn't been charged with any offence at the time .

djr8369

It’s been mentioned several times before on this forum that we’re too complacent when it comes to defending teammates who are getting roughed up by the opposition. Should our management team be encouraging the players to be more proactive in complaining to the ref about this? Perhaps a Micky Doyle coaching session is required?
I forgot who and which game but I’m sure recently one of our players went to the referee complaining about a challenge on one of our players and immediately received a yellow card.

djr8369

I'll give him credit.

“Sorry that I elbowed you but it was actually an accident as I meant to elbow you in the chest”

Bidda

I forgot who and which game but I’m sure recently one of our players went to the referee complaining about a challenge on one of our players and immediately received a yellow card.
Wow! I don’t recall that incident but compare that to instances when almost an entire team surrounds the ref to contest a decision and no-one is booked. I guess it often depends on the nature of the ‘complaint’. Pointing out to the ref that a colleague is constantly being roughed up without any action being taken would seem to be a legitimate complaint rather than dissent?

Astute

Because he hadn't been charged with any offence at the time .
Exactly.

Your elbow is the most dangerous weapon you have. It's like hitting someone with a hammer. A weapon of last resort. But he used it on a football pitch then acted as though nothing happened. If it was accidental wouldn't he have checked the player is OK?

djr8369

Exactly.

Your elbow is the most dangerous weapon you have. It's like hitting someone with a hammer. A weapon of last resort. But he used it on a football pitch then acted as though nothing happened. If it was accidental wouldn't he have checked the player is OK?
Tbf I’m sure he did go over after when play was stopped for something else.

Otis

Exactly.

Exactly that. He didn't seem at all bothered at the time did he. It's only after he had been charged that he's suddenly become remorseful

Otis

Tbf I’m sure he did go over after when play was stopped for something else.
I didn't see that. If he showed remorse at the time, that makes the statement much more acceptable.

I do still think he did it on purpose though.

Didn't at all look like he was trying to fend him off and put his arm to Sakamoto's chest. Seemed like a deliberate elbow to the face.

Skyblueweeman

I tend to agree. But on the flip side, not all players go on social media to make apologies, even if they've been caught.

Astute

I tend to agree. But on the flip side, not all players go on social media to make apologies, even if they've been caught.
He did but I'm still not going to congratulate him for it. The cynic in me says he meant to do it and is only sorry he got caught. There was no need for his elbow to be so high. That's why they had no choice but to find him guilty.

Tats and O'Hare have become targets. One of them could get seriously hurt if it continues.

ProfessorbyGrace

He did but I'm still not going to congratulate him for it. The cynic in me says he meant to do it and is only sorry he got caught. There was no need for his elbow to be so high. That's why they had no choice but to find him guilty.

Tats and O'Hare have become targets. One of them could get seriously hurt if it continues.
Exactly this. Especially the last point; referees and officials are just not protecting our key players, and they’re having lumps kicked and elbowed off them.

Maybe the issue will be on their radar more, after the Tatsu incident was dealt with. Wishful thinking, perhaps.

Users who are viewing this thread