Sol Campbell (1 Viewer)

oucho

Ha ha, that was a joke by the way.

Unlike many others, I don't dismiss the fact that, all things being equal, there ought to be many more pro managers from non-white backgrounds than there are. That's self-evident. Where I have a problem is suggesting that this is due to racism, either conscious or unconscious.

I liken this problem to the fact that there are so few British Asian footballers, and also the fact that Afro-Caribbean communities seem to provide so many fewer top cricketers than they used to. Neither phenomenon would appear to be due to racism, so what's the answer? Perhaps the societal expectations that people have from varying backgrounds has discouraged them from seeking particular paths in life.

At my company we have 900 staff - it's all white collar professional services work. During that time I have met one black man (a team manager) and five black women (tbf one is the marketing director, one is a PA, one is a junior marketing assistant, the other two are receptionists). So you could point at my company and ask the same questions, but the fact is that nobody in the senior management discourages applications from non-white candidates, or reviews them unfavourably. The managers just want the best people in place so that our firm can do as well as possible. I can only conclude that the education system and the marketplace in which we operate hasn't produced/encouraged non-white people who could feasibly be employed by my company.

hill83

Unlike many others, I don't dismiss the fact that, all things being equal, there ought to be many more pro managers from non-white backgrounds than there are. That's self-evident. Where I have a problem is suggesting that this is due to racism, either conscious or unconscious.

I liken this problem to the fact that there are so few British Asian footballers, and also the fact that Afro-Caribbean communities seem to provide so many fewer top cricketers than they used to. Neither phenomenon would appear to be due to racism, so what's the answer? Perhaps the societal expectations that people have from varying backgrounds has discouraged them from seeking particular paths in life.

At my company we have 900 staff - it's all white collar professional services work. During that time I have met one black man (a team manager) and five black women (tbf one is the marketing director, one is a PA, one is a junior marketing assistant, the other two are receptionists). So you could point at my company and ask the same questions, but the fact is that nobody in the senior management discourages applications from non-white candidates, or reviews them unfavourably. The managers just want the best people in place so that our firm can do as well as possible. I can only conclude that the education system and the marketplace in which we operate hasn't produced/encouraged non-white people who could feasibly be employed by my company.

Loads of non whites in my company. Who also want to employ ‘the best’. Our IT director is Asian for example.

It’s something like 35% I think based on our last survey when they were doing the pay comparison between men and women. At least in our head office in Coventry.

You are running with a few ‘facts’ that aren’t facts and a couple of suppositions there.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/phys...ish-asian-footballers-scouts-professional.amp

It’s all there to be read about if you want to. Written by people who have experienced it.

Last edited:

Grendel

In football there is a high proportion of black players. Managers are 99% of the time ex pros. The proportion who are black shows an imbalance,

Darren Moore is the best example. West Brom definitely would never have considered him but for circumstances and he’s doing a far better job then his predecessor

oucho

Loads of non whites in my company. Who also want to employ ‘the best’. Our IT director is Asian for example.

It’s something like 35% I think based on our last survey when they were doing the pay comparison between men and women. At least in our head office in Coventry.

You are running with a few ‘facts’ that aren’t facts and a couple of suppositions there.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/phys...ish-asian-footballers-scouts-professional.amp

It’s all there to be read about if you want to. Written by people who have experienced it.
Why are you so keen to try to prove discrimination is rife?

robbiekeane

Why are people so desperate to disprove discrimination. It’s so odd.
Because there is so much genuine discrimination that needs sorting out, and ridiculous claims like this from an arrogant twat trying to use his race to protect his ego from his own shortcomings only serve to distract and discredit from it.

oucho

In football there is a high proportion of black players. Managers are 99% of the time ex pros. The proportion who are black shows an imbalance,

Darren Moore is the best example. West Brom definitely would never have considered him but for circumstances and he’s doing a far better job then his predecessor

Read my post again. I specifically stated that there is an observable imbalance.

hill83

Why are you so keen to try to prove discrimination is rife?

Because I’m sat here reading a thread like this with ‘race card’ being thrown about and loads of self congratulatory back slapping and it does my head in. Thought I’d mix it up a bit.

hill83

Because there is so much genuine discrimination that needs sorting out, and ridiculous claims like this from an arrogant twat trying to use his race to protect his ego from his own shortcomings only serve to distract and discredit from it.

Can you name any other black public figures who have the courage to speak out, say a female politician for example and gets the same sort of comments as you’ve just posted? Odd that isn’t it.
Literally change ‘his’ to ‘her’ and you are done.

“Keep quiet, they won’t like that”

Grendel

oucho

It’s still pretty commonplace in many areas
Have to honestly say that I have just never seen it in my own experience. Yes a few knuckledraggers at games or pissed wankers in pubs, but that's it.

Of course we have a society which fails to make the most of the skills and talents of its various ethnic minorities. Nobody disputes that. What I do dispute is that there is deliberate, systematic racial discrimination on a widespread basis.

oucho

Because I’m sat here reading a thread like this with ‘race card’ being thrown about and loads of self congratulatory back slapping and it does my head in. Thought I’d mix it up a bit.

Hill, I have not played the race card or slapped anyone's back. Read the thread again.

hill83

Just realised this is the same thread about how black people cant swim. <More stuff> so that’s why Sol Campbell can’t get a job as manager. ffs!
The lengths people will go to.

Feel free to use ‘swim’ and ‘lengths’ to form a joke.

Last edited:

Grendel

Have to honestly say that I have just never seen it in my own experience. Yes a few knuckledraggers at games or pissed wankers in pubs, but that's it.

Of course we have a society which fails to make the most of the skills and talents of its various ethnic minorities. Nobody disputes that. What I do dispute is that there is deliberate, systematic racial discrimination on a widespread basis.

Probably as your not on the receiving end of it

Ricketts

I can remember being at Ewood Park and our fans singing we hope Jack Walker dies in the 90’s every club has a few fans like that

Perhaps they were wishing long life on him. He died in his 70s. (Aged 71)

A bit of a flippant comment in a racist thread, but I thought I would lighten the mood a bit.

Football does attract the racist, the morons and the knuckledraggers, sadly.

Terry Gibson's perm

Perhaps they were wishing long life on him. He died in his 70s. (Aged 71)

A bit of a flippant comment in a racist thread, but I thought I would lighten the mood a bit.

Football does attract the racist, the morons and the knuckledraggers, sadly.

It was a catchy tune though

robbiekeane

Can you name any other black public figures who have the courage to speak out, say a female politician for example and gets the same sort of comments as you’ve just posted? Odd that isn’t it.
Literally change ‘his’ to ‘her’ and you are done.

“Keep quiet, they won’t like that”
Oh Jesus Christ, Diane abbott is a fucking idiot. Black white or yellow she is an idiot.

Disappointed in you Hill...you’re usually a reasonable poster, think you have a lot more credible champions for fighting discrimination than Sol Campbell and Diane Abbott hahaha

robbiekeane

Just realised this is the same thread about how black people cant swim. <More stuff> so that’s why Sol Campbell can’t get a job as manager. ffs!
The lengths people will go to.

Feel free to use ‘swim’ and ‘lengths’ to form a joke.

Do you think Sol Campbell had a shorter England career than he deserved because of his skin colour?

hill83

Oh Jesus Christ, Diane abbott is a fucking idiot. Black white or yellow she is an idiot.

Disappointed in you Hill...you’re usually a reasonable poster, think you have a lot more credible champions for fighting discrimination than Sol Campbell and Diane Abbott hahaha

Whether she or they are ‘idiots’ or not is irrelevant. Both speak out against racism and both get slated for that. That’s what is shit.

It’s an age old tactic. And now I’m speaking out against it in a small way I’m no longer a ‘reasonable poster’. Yet ‘reckons’ and guesses from other posters are fine.

Last edited:

robbiekeane

Doubt it. Does that make the rest of what I say untrue? What’s your point?
Morning xx

Come on do you really not get my point? They aren’t getting slated for talking out about racism they are getting slated for using it as an excuse for their own shortcomings.

Diane Abbott was absolutely slated because she made a series of fuck ups and is a complete idiot. Not because she is black. People pointed to race as a reason for her getting stick.

Sol Cambells England career ended when it should have. He publicly claimed he is the greatest mind in football. It’s likely that he didn’t get a managers job because of this massive arrogance and very possible that people just didn’t rate his ability or like his character. Yet he says this is due to racism.

Neither are getting slated for speaking out about racism. Morons like this distract from the actual problem. Odd that a seemingly passionate advocate of equality like yourself is so insistent on those two cringeworthy non-examples.

And stop being dramatic and twisting things. I said usually you’re a reasonable poster implying that the specific post is as referencing was not reasonable. Not that you’re all of a sudden not a reasonable poster. Yeesh

hill83

Morning xx

Come on do you really not get my point? They aren’t getting slated for talking out about racism they are getting slated for using it as an excuse for their own shortcomings.

Diane Abbott was absolutely slated because she made a series of fuck ups and is a complete idiot. Not because she is black. People pointed to race as a reason for her getting stick.

Sol Cambells England career ended when it should have. He publicly claimed he is the greatest mind in football. It’s likely that he didn’t get a managers job because of this massive arrogance and very possible that people just didn’t rate his ability or like his character. Yet he says this is due to racism.

Neither are getting slated for speaking out about racism. Morons like this distract from the actual problem. Odd that a seemingly passionate advocate of equality like yourself is so insistent on those two cringeworthy non-examples.

And stop being dramatic and twisting things. I said usually you’re a reasonable poster implying that the specific post is as referencing was not reasonable. Not that you’re all of a sudden not a reasonable poster. Yeesh

She absolutely constantly gets racist abuse. And it gets brushed under the carpet because she invariably talks nonsense. She does get slated for talking out about it. All the time.

I’m not here to defend Sol Campbell. He gets slated for talking out about it. It’s happened on this very thread. He quite clearly also talks a fair amount of shite.

I just don’t understand the absolute need for people to say discrimination doesn’t exist. It does. This is getting massively side tracked.

And you can genuinely fuck off with your “morning xx”

Last edited:

robbiekeane

And you can genuinely fuck off with your “morning xx”
Now now no need to get nasty x

I just don’t understand the absolute need for people to say discrimination doesn’t exist. It does. This is getting massively side tracked.

I’m not arguing that. Go back and look, you’re the one who jumped on my post questioning the alleged “proof” about Sol Cambell not getting a managers job because he’s black. You posted a general stat which is not proof. You also mentioned the race card weirdly as that’s not a term I have or would ever mention. Quite odd really.

Users who are viewing this thread