Sol Campbell (1 Viewer)

ajsccfc

He was on the Trinidad and Tobago coaching team fairly recently, not sure how long that lasted though

Covstu

Good luck to him but this is a role he will never succeed in as they are a team doomed for relegation. If he pulls them out then he may prove his critics wrong.
Racism in football - yes its still there but equally the opportunity to British managers isn't there anymore as clubs with foreign owners are bringing in foreign managers. Fact of the matter is that clubs do not have the patience to blood new managers (black/white/whatever). Rangers signing Gerrard was a masterstroke as it gave them access to Liverpool talent for next to nothing at a time where they don't have much to spend, Derby have had a history of gambling on unproven managers like Clement and again access to Chelsea youth is another no brainer.
England have always struggled for suitable managers for years, in Southgate (who has earn't his stripes) hopefully we have it right.

NortonSkyBlue

Yes good luck Sol, to ask why hasn't he got a better team to manage is valid and the reasonable conclusion is a) race b) he's a twat that doesn't help himself. Lets see if he can manage and then we may know the answer.

steve82

Good luck to him but this is a role he will never succeed in as they are a team doomed for relegation. If he pulls them out then he may prove his critics wrong.
Racism in football - yes its still there but equally the opportunity to British managers isn't there anymore as clubs with foreign owners are bringing in foreign managers. Fact of the matter is that clubs do not have the patience to blood new managers (black/white/whatever). Rangers signing Gerrard was a masterstroke as it gave them access to Liverpool talent for next to nothing at a time where they don't have much to spend, Derby have had a history of gambling on unproven managers like Clement and again access to Chelsea youth is another no brainer.
England have always struggled for suitable managers for years, in Southgate (who has earn't his stripes) hopefully we have it right.

I’m not so sure, they are a tidy little project to get your teeth into. They’ve just kept 2 clean sheets and won back to back games before Sol’s had a press conference.

They could just stay up as those immediately above are equally as poor.

ajsccfc

Looking at where Macclesfield are in the table, I didn't realise Notts County were doing that badly. Did we break them completely in the semis?

Joy Division

4 points from safety currently so not dead and buried just yet. Hopefully he can get the best out of Maycock and JP and turn them into decent players for us.

Joy Division

Just noticed they have another ex-City player with them in Nathan Cameron.

Covstu

Looking at where Macclesfield are in the table, I didn't realise Notts County were doing that badly. Did we break them completely in the semis?
i think this is sometimes the case with most teams, all eggs in one basket and then when they fail they implode. Shrews were the same

pipkin73

When i got my first job as a trainee, i was one of four taken on.
One was awful, he could not do any of the jobs we were being trained for.

I asked the trainer why he was taken on (i had known him for years ( he was not the reason i was taken on as he had nothing to do with the recruitment team whom i never knew)).
The answer pissed me off. I was told that there were better candidates for the job but the government had insisted out of every 4 trainees 1 had to be black/asian etc. So a better person never got the job as they were white.

To me that is not right and the next best person for the job lost out because he was white. Racism and politically correct stuff to me are both wrong, best man for the job, end off.

I became friends with the guy as he was funny, so this is not so much a dig at him but the system.

Terry_dactyl

When i got my first job as a trainee, i was one of four taken on.
One was awful, he could not do any of the jobs we were being trained for.

I asked the trainer why he was taken on (i had known him for years ( he was not the reason i was taken on as he had nothing to do with the recruitment team whom i never knew)).
The answer pissed me off. I was told that there were better candidates for the job but the government had insisted out of every 4 trainees 1 had to be black/asian etc. So a better person never got the job as they were white.

To me that is not right and the next best person for the job lost out because he was white. Racism and politically correct stuff to me are both wrong, best man for the job, end off.

I became friends with the guy as he was funny, so this is not so much a dig at him but the system.
Haven’t heard that one for a while.
If this is true the trainer should’ve been sacked for breaching confidentiality.
Are we going to start a debate on the pros and cons of positive discrimination and the socio-economic reasons as to why this might take place? If so I think we need a new thread.

better days

Yes Sol Campbell was a great player
So was Tony Adams
Both Campbell and Adams are pretty unimpressive when talking about football as pundits and give much less insight into games than guys who played at a lower level
Adams has had several jobs but hasn't so far made a big impression
Let's see how Sol Campbell does and judge him then

tisza

Football gets stuck in a rut.Recycling the same managers again and again or bringing in foreign coaches. 20 out of 44 PL & Championship clubs have non_British managers. Have to expect that any vacancy at these clubs and you're competing with the top coaches in Europe not just "white British applicants".

Would like to see the stats on how many new managers break into League football every year. Shouldn't imagine it's many.
It is strange that "big" clubs like Rangers and Derby are prepared to give high-profile ex-players their break into football management. Coincidence it's also 2 players that have had a very high TV pundit profile over last few season?

rob9872

I've been thinking about this topic and I don't think it's necessarily a UK problem and I have a different spin on it that I've not seen discussed anywhere else.

What is the number of foreign BAME coaches across the main footballing nations? If that's where we're picking the top top talent for the cream EPL jobs (and some championship too) and BAME are under-represented in those positions, then it throws a different light on it. To select someone because of their colour is as bad as not selecting someone because of it (imo) and if we're selecting coaches from Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern etc not to mention the large influx of Italian managers and coaches, then that already fills a lot of the gaps. Young English coaches therefore whether black, white, brown or yellow will have less openings available without dropping down the leagues as Sol has now done. I do get the Gerrard argument and the Lampard one, but also Viera and Henry have been given great opportunities without doing any more than they have for the same reason of them being recently retired top players who have good contacts and good networks. I'm sure Derby or Rangers would have been happy to have taken either of those two.

This of course isn't to say that BAME coaches aren't under represented or that there is no racism in the game or even that Sol has been treated fairly, as I don't know any of those things just a different take on the reasons why.

Covstu

I've been thinking about this topic and I don't think it's necessarily a UK problem and I have a different spin on it that I've not seen discussed anywhere else.

What is the number of foreign BAME coaches across the main footballing nations? If that's where we're picking the top top talent for the cream EPL jobs (and some championship too) and BAME are under-represented in those positions, then it throws a different light on it. To select someone because of their colour is as bad as not selecting someone because of it (imo) and if we're selecting coaches from Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern etc not to mention the large influx of Italian managers and coaches, then that already fills a lot of the gaps. Young English coaches therefore whether black, white, brown or yellow will have less openings available without dropping down the leagues as Sol has now done. I do get the Gerrard argument and the Lampard one, but also Viera and Henry have been given great opportunities without doing any more than they have for the same reason of them being recently retired top players who have good contacts and good networks. I'm sure Derby or Rangers would have been happy to have taken either of those two.

This of course isn't to say that BAME coaches aren't under represented or that there is no racism in the game or even that Sol has been treated fairly, as I don't know any of those things just a different take on the reasons why.
are there stats on how many black players have applied for jobs and not been successful or is it a case of a small number of black players are trying to become managers unsuccessfully? Two very different things in whether football is directly discriminating or not. Lampard and Gerard were both gambles but added with a very commercial benefit so I think these were both no brainers. Sol never really was embedded in a club like those two i.e. an institution of that club to be able to have a draw for players, gunners was the only close club but never had a coaching support role. JT is another one who has got a asst manager role at Villa on the back of being a big name rather than being qualified. I wonder if Sol had looked at that route or not?

Skybluefaz

He had nothing to do with the recruitment team but knew enough about the recruitment of the other guy to tell you about the details of the recruitment of said guy?

mrtrench

Dion was on BBC Breakfast this morning around 8:30 (you can probably find it on iPlayer if you want to see). He was discussing this issue. He said that of some 500 professional coaches (he included deputies and youth managers) only 40 are not white. He thinks the reason is outright racism from the people appointing.

I think the reasons will be more complex than that and I doubt many Football boards are explicitly racist. I don't have the stats I'd need to make a case for an alternative explanation so I won't comment further.

Covstu

Dion was on BBC Breakfast this morning around 8:30 (you can probably find it on iPlayer if you want to see). He was discussing this issue. He said that of some 500 professional coaches (he included deputies and youth managers) only 40 are not white. He thinks the reason is outright racism from the people appointing.

I think the reasons will be more complex than that and I doubt many Football boards are explicitly racist. I don't have the stats I'd need to make a case for an alternative explanation so I won't comment further.
and he is probably right but it would be interesting to see how many are applying in comparison though to see if black managers are not getting the opportunity or simply not applying?

skybluegod

He had nothing to do with the recruitment team but knew enough about the recruitment of the other guy to tell you about the details of the recruitment of said guy?

That's not unsurprising/Abnormal, I was recruited alongside two others for my role, but the person who recruited me is not the person who trains me, but she knows all about our interviews, and why were recruited.

skybluegod

Haven’t heard that one for a while.
If this is true the trainer should’ve been sacked for breaching confidentiality.
Are we going to start a debate on the pros and cons of positive discrimination and the socio-economic reasons as to why this might take place? If so I think we need a new thread.

There are no positives to positive or negative discrimination. They are both wrong. The idea is that it shouldn't matter what you skin colour is. Not lets make sure we hire enough Black/Asian/ Latina/ etc. people.

Covstu

There are no positives to positive or negative discrimination. They are both wrong. The idea is that it shouldn't matter what you skin colour is. Not lets make sure we hire enough Black/Asian/ Latina/ etc. people.
I think there is no harm in actively trying to encourage individuals from under represented groups i.e. advertising in that area, on the media specific to ethnic or gender groups if a business has a true issue in which they are trying to address. The process needs to be clear on true experience and merit however.
Look at most board rooms across the country, most will be made up of 50 year old, white men with the only female counterpart will probably be the HR Director. In some industries this is more difficult to address, others certainly not.

skybluegod

I think there is no harm in actively trying to encourage individuals from under represented groups i.e. advertising in that area, on the media specific to ethnic or gender groups if a business has a true issue in which they are trying to address. The process needs to be clear on true experience and merit however.
Look at most board rooms across the country, most will be made up of 50 year old, white men with the only female counterpart will probably be the HR Director. In some industries this is more difficult to address, others certainly not.

I get your point but still disagree. I don't think any gender should get any special treatment. Even advertising.

The Board room point always comes up, but how often does a director change? Even when they do it will be a hugely interesting role for anybody from a smaller company, or from within the company itself. As mentioned by others in relation to football, how many people from ethnic minority backgrounds apply for them? I do agree boardrooms are dominated by middle aged white men. But it's not something that changes overnight or even over a decade. Are there some organisations that perhaps are racist in their hiring practices. Certainly. Are the majority? No. We have just hired a middles aged Asian Woman to be a high level manager at the company I work at, simply because shes the best for the role.

Nick

Administrator
Did he really say something about being one of the best players in the world in his first interview? ha

6 Generations

‘I know football inside out, I will work my socks off. It’s agreat place for me to start.
You’ve got an International footballer who has been one of the best footballers in the world com8ng to your club’

Nick

Administrator
‘I know football inside out, I will work my socks off. It’s agreat place for me to start.
You’ve got an International footballer who has been one of the best footballers in the world com8ng to your club’

I might start giving it that line for everyday stuff.

"Just to make you aware, when I come for my buy one get one free pub meal. You have one of the best footballers in the world coming to your pub"

They should really be making a documentary about his time there, just for the David Brent moments.

Users who are viewing this thread