Sol Campbell (1 Viewer)

Joy Division

I'm sure with his experience he deserves a chance, good luck to him and I hope he does well.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

For me Sol Campbell lacks loyalty, what Chairman is going to hire him if he’s expected do a runner ala Robins.

The main issue is the old boys club, the likes of Phil Brown, Pardew, etc all getting jobs - all useless but are “a safe pair of hands”

ajsccfc

Is it really just his skin colour though? Maybe just me being naive when it comes to football club owners looking to hire a manager.
There's no way every rejection is because of it as that wouldn't stand up to any kind of scrutiny, but I'm certain it has played a part somewhere. He can't be doing this for fun.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Lacks loyalty? To who? Played 500 games for just 3 clubs in the core of his playing career.
Speak to Tottenham fans about Sol Campbell. I’d be interested if he was approached by other bigger clubs whilst at Arsenal. My point stands, if someone is as open as he is about moving up, you’d think twice about hiring.

Esoterica

Speak to Tottenham fans about Sol Campbell. I’d be interested if he was approached by other bigger clubs whilst at Arsenal. My point stands, if someone is as open as he is about moving up, you’d think twice about hiring.

Sorry Sol, 20 years ago you moved from Spurs to Arsenal after only 9 years playing service. Can't give you this manager's job now in case you leave after 6 months.

Greggs

I think 8 if SC appointed - could be more, but these below

Chris Hughton
Sol Campbell
Nuno Espírito Santo
Jos Luhukay
Dino Maamria
Darren Moore
Keith Curle
Chris Powell

How many do you think there should be? (that's 9% which I would have thought based on the last generation of footballers isn't a million miles from representative)
That's the blacks sorted, how about the yellows and browns?
All the talk of colour is utter nonsense. If Campbell had the talent and didn't have an attitude problem, he wouldn't have waited 7 years for his first managerial post.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Sorry Sol, 20 years ago you moved from Spurs to Arsenal after only 9 years playing service. Can't give you this manager's job now in case you leave after 6 months.
Silly as it sounds, yeah - he spouts that he is the greatest mind in football and has said he can’t believe he doesn’t have a job, I’m sure he mentioned at the time that he didn’t just want any lower league job. That says to me he has no intention of being here, and that Macclesfield are a last choice.

I’d want someone who at least appears interested in progressing my club.

Like i said management is an old boys club, Campbell is probably a better option than say Phil Brown. But he’s a safe pair of hands that won’t caisr too many problems

SkyBlueCRJ

Campbell is experienced intelligent, qualified, traveled and looking to coach, it really can't just be that he's a whiny arse that has kept him on the outside looking in, that would exclude half the managers in the league in one fell swoop. When you consider the absolute shit he gets whenever he brings up race it's not something you'd do lightly.

I doubt the validity of absolutely everything he says but there's definitely merit in there too, certainly more than him just throwing the deck around.

He's not just a 'whiney arse' though. He makes allegations that are extremely serious in this day and age, and he does it to the extent where it's almost perceived as the boy who cried wolf. The fact he throws the race card around so much will make any chairman/owner very wary about appointing him as it could backfire massively and result in legal action or worse.

Greggs

So could it be argued that white people (who make up more than 75% of the population) are therefore under-represented in the game as players and not being given a fair opportunity?

Of course that sounds ludicrous as if the black player is better he get's selected. Best person for every job regardless of creed or colour, whether it be playing or managing.

What we need to understand is when two people of equal standing with the same experience, qualification and know how are both applying for the same job, is the white guy selected ahead and is it because of the colour of his skin? If it is that's wrong but we need data and facts to back that up, not conjecture. I honestly believe it's a generational thing and that football clubs are not inherently racist and that he next generation will see a wave of change.
Attitude, ability and personality.........

ajsccfc

He's not just a 'whiney arse' though. He makes allegations that are extremely serious in this day and age, and he does it to the extent where it's almost perceived as the boy who cried wolf. The fact he throws the race card around so much will make any chairman/owner very wary about appointing him as it could backfire massively and result in legal action or worse.

The fact what he says is dismissed as throwing a race card around is why he has to speak up.

Yorkshire SB

A sea of white people not liking ‘the race card’ shocker.

How many black managers are there currently?

Lol, what a virtue signalling maverick you are.

There's undeniably a problem with the lack of BME managers. I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise. This isn't the right example though, he's an idiot.

steve82

Three things come to mind as to why he’s not managed to secure a job yet, ask yourself which is more applicable.
Is it because he’s black, inexperienced as a manager or because it’s Sol Campbell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SkyBlueCRJ

The fact what he says is dismissed as throwing a race card around is why he has to speak up.

But it's being branded as a race card due to the extent he displays it. It's not just a section of people that think that either. His views have even been squashed by his own friends. E.g. Paul Ince rejected claims that Sol would've been England captain for 10 years if he were white. It's the fact he speaks complete bollocks that almost make even his legitimate claims unverifiable. Hence why I said it's a typical boy who cried wolf scenario. I'm sure he received racial abuse during his playing days which is appalling, but by branding the entirety of the F.A. and every Football League Chairman as racist because they don't give him a job is neither helpful to his cause and just plain false. His prejudice in his comments is actually unacceptable really as IMO they have actually made him look like the bad guy.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Three things come to mind as to why he’s not managed to secure a job yet, ask yourself which is more applicable.
Is it because he’s black, inexperienced as a manager or because it’s Sol Campbell.

Inexperienced and comments like “im one of the greatest minds in football”

It’s ok for Mourinho to say it, he has the results to back it up (not so much now like)

There does need to be more BAME managers in football, but young coaches in general have got to be given chances. The managerial merry go round needs to be broke. Before it happens

ajsccfc

But it's being branded as a race card due to the extent he displays it. It's not just a section of people that think that either. His views have even been squashed by his own friends. E.g. Paul Ince rejected claims that Sol would've been England captain for 10 years if he were white. It's the fact he speaks complete bollocks that almost make even his legitimate claims unverifiable. Hence why I said it's a typical boy who cried wolf scenario. I'm sure he received racial abuse during his playing days which is appalling, but by branding the entirety of the F.A. and every Football League Chairman as racist because they don't give him a job is neither helpful to his cause and just plain false. His prejudice in his comments is actually unacceptable really as IMO they have actually made him look like the bad guy.

I don't think it's entirely an either/or thing. There's no way he would have been England captain for a decade and not every job he's been passed over has been due to race but on the other hand he can't be just screaming about nothing - there's no real benefit of him doing so, as you say it creates a volatile situation where people will be wary of taking him on.

SkyBlueCRJ

I don't think it's entirely an either/or thing. There's no way he would have been England captain for a decade (I'd at least have given him the role ahead of Michael Owen though, bloody hell) and not every job he's been passed over has been due to race but on the other hand he can't be just screaming about nothing - there's no real benefit of him doing so, as you say it creates a volatile situation where people will be wary of taking him on.

It's the extremity of his comments that make him out to be the village idiot. E.g. 'I'm the greatest mind in football', 'I would've been England Captain for 10 years if I was white'. His comments just physically don't make sense and are factually wrong. There's only a thin basis to his argument which is obviously that there is a race issue currently within football. But he's not helping the cause as if anything he's hindering good work done by Kick it Out for example and is actually stalling his own career in management. If you were the owner of a club would you honestly hire him knowing full well a potential race allegation could be coming your way?

ajsccfc

There's no defending the greatest mind in football thing. That's like Big Sam making out he should be in charge of Real Madrid and Inter.

steve82

Inexperienced and comments like “im one of the greatest minds in football”

It’s ok for Mourinho to say it, he has the results to back it up (not so much now like)

There does need to be more BAME managers in football, but young coaches in general have got to be given chances. The managerial merry go round needs to be broke. Before it happens

Correct Sol Campbell is holding himself back in gaining experience. I wonder how many BAME managers doing coaching badges now are thinking go away Sol, your creating a bigger issue that makes it more challenging in breaking down potential barriers.

It’s already a difficult situation hiring and firing managers, imagine if Sol Campbell was in Harry Kewell’s shoes recently and been dismissed after a handful of games.

Imagine the pressure and huge press and national coverage the club would of got in justification to why he’d been sacked.

SkyBlueCRJ

There's no defending the greatest mind in football thing. That's like Big Sam making out he should be in charge of Real Madrid and Inter.

Exactly. It's comments such as this that invalidate any valid points/arguments that may follow. It's like when Lord Bendtner claimed that Real Madrid or Barcelona should sign him, it's just complete bollocks that results in no one taking him seriously. Campbell is the worst kind of advocate for ethnic equality in the game IMO.

SkyBlueCRJ

Surely a club the size of Macclesfield have to accept that though? Any manager, especially one with the profile of Campbell, is obviously going to use the club as a stepping stone.

NorthernWisdom

Pretty inevitable if he does well he'll go elsewhere. Also pretty inevitable if he does badly, he'll be sacked.

The life of a high profile lower league football manager!

What he probably will do for Macclesfield is add a few on to the gate, and give them a bit of a profile for a bit. Even if they drop out the league, it could be worth hiring him just for that.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think what will be interesting is IF results don't improve and his record as manager is no better or worse than other managers. Part of me is already expecting him to mention race as the first thing should he at any point get fired.

covcity4life

Lol the racists rear their ugly heads. Have noted their usernames. Oh wait is this me playing the race card?

As for sol. He may have said some weird stuff but didn't he have mental health issues?

Fact is it's true lampard and Gerrard get great projects and sol is prob on a hiding to nothing with l2 worst team. Of course ifd he don't do well he will be branded a poor manager. Would be interesting to see how lamps and gerrard would do with macclesfield. Loans from lpool and chelsea then? I think not

Was article on BBC other day about first Scottish black manager in 17 years or something. Down in their league 2 I think. I guess he must be outlandish and playa victim.too?

Too few managers in the leagues and those that are in don't have the best projects for most part. Glad Moore doing well with wba but once again given job after a relegation

Sure it will improve 1 day. Will take strong people like sol perhaps to give it a shift in right direction. Someone not scares of brexit voting keyboard warriors on forums I assume.

Good luck sol!

rob9872

Lol the racists rear their ugly heads. Have noted their usernames. Oh wait is this me playing the race card?

As for sol. He may have said some weird stuff but didn't he have mental health issues?

Fact is it's true lampard and Gerrard get great projects and sol is prob on a hiding to nothing with l2 worst team. Of course ifd he don't do well he will be branded a poor manager. Would be interesting to see how lamps and gerrard would do with macclesfield. Loans from lpool and chelsea then? I think not

Was article on BBC other day about first Scottish black manager in 17 years or something. Down in their league 2 I think. I guess he must be outlandish and playa victim.too?

Too few managers in the leagues and those that are in don't have the best projects for most part. Glad Moore doing well with wba but once again given job after a relegation

Sure it will improve 1 day. Will take strong people like sol perhaps to give it a shift in right direction. Someone not scares of brexit voting keyboard warriors on forums I assume.

Good luck sol!

I was with you right up until "brexit voting keyboard warriors" - fed up of this label. Brexit has fk all to do with racism and fk you and everyone else who keeps saying it does. I know why I voted Brexit and I know why lots of others did too, unfortunately the mainstream media only highlights the EDL type and their reasons and the gullible believe it. I had thought better of you, but I'll leave it there as there's already a 500+ page thread on it and I don't want to turn this into another one.

ajsccfc

Just spotted that Peter Vincenti is at Macclesfield, the man's like a league 2 cheat code. Sol's on to a winner if he just plays through wor Pete

covcity4life

I was with you right up until "brexit voting keyboard warriors" - fed up of this label. Brexit has fk all to do with racism and fk you and everyone else who keeps saying it does. I know why I voted Brexit and I know why lots of others did too, unfortunately the mainstream media only highlights the EDL type and their reasons and the gullible believe it. I had thought better of you, but I'll leave it there as there's already a 500+ page thread on it and I don't want to turn this into another one.
yes lets not. at least you know you were now wrong to vote how you did. punishment enough

covcity4life

You're chatting so much shit.

No one has even said anything remotely racist on this thread and you're screaming about taking a note of their usernames.

Again, you're part of the problem.
funny the islam is evil and we live in Damascus poster also says sol is playing race card

shocking

Users who are viewing this thread