Sky Blue Tavern (2 Viewers)

johnwillomagic

I think the place is good tbh - much rather see it survive than the Spon Gate tbh - awful pub! Ales are cheap granted but normally shocking and not well maintained I'd personally rather pay a bit more for a quality pint nowadays anyhow.

It would be a shame if it goes - not sure location is that bad tbh very close to Coventry train station and tbh as many have already said it is not as if town is rammed!

clint van damme

They’ve asked me to host some comedy nights there. We have done a few new material nights which to be honest haven’t been brilliantly attended but they are doing their first pro night and we’ve got some genuinely brilliant pro comedians. The night is 18th November. They’re just doing the poster and hopefully they will really advertise it and fill the room. I think the football club have said they will push it too which is nice.

Anyone interested, I think you can get tickets already here: Sky Blue Tavern Comedy Night

would mean a lot to have some support.

lineup includes:
Paddy Lennox - hilarious Irish comedian and circuit headliner.

Joe Rowntree - as seen on BBC, ITV, Sky 1 and Dave

and Lovdev Barpaga - a really feel good and quite silly one-liner comedian.

Have any of them got a goal in them from attacking midfield?

slowpoke

Idea is fine but can’t see how the Tavern can survive long term, there’s a list of venues where it is that ultimately closed St Brendens, Tam o Shanter, Carey’s going back a few years the old Antelope club even the deaf club. It’s just in the wrong place.

Saddlebrains

Its just in the wrong place.

Slap bang in fucking studentville who couldn't give a toss that its there. If it was the other side of town up towards ball hill/binley road way it would be a lot better attended.

Shame but it will go tits up purely due to location

Peter Billing Eyes

Slap bang in fucking studentville who couldn't give a toss that its there. If it was the other side of town up towards ball hill/binley road way it would be a lot better attended.

Agree with this. I live not too far away and although there are a few sky blue fans locally, the general population around there aren’t. And it’s all about being in walking distance really.
Other than our match days, the busiest I have seen it was a few Sundays ago when there were about a dozen (students?) huddled around a couple glasses of cola watching the Man City v Liverpool game. There was another table of blokes in there who were there to take in the game following their own Sunday league match.
I still don’t like the beer selection much but would miss the place if it went to the wall, so am happy to visit when I can.

matesx

Shame it can’t be picked up and dumped on Rowleys Green old club site

Reactions: vow

lord_garrincha

Living in Wyken... I have no reason to go there for any match. Even if we were at Highfield Road.

The only time I have went there post match was after Reading because I was going to Eastern Green for a fundraiser, and I liked it.

It just feels out of the way... bit like that most are saying... and, again, 2 new pubs and an existing refurb during a pandemic... Where is the money coming from???

chiefdave

Years of people saying we needed a base and now we have one nobody is going and we're predicting its closure.

There's not an alternative sports bar in town is there? I'm not sure if you moved it to the other side of the ring road the problems people are talking about here magically disappear. Not like the city centre is thriving with loads of footfall.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If it were near the ground chances are business would be largely constricted to match days. They already got the bar at the brewery.

Given how decentralised work is now there's probably not any one place that would be great for it but city centre would be the best choice. But that exact location is terrible and not really useful for anyone. If they wanted a central location they should have made it central. May have been a cost issue but maybe they also wanted it to be a bit out of the way just in case there was any trouble.

pusbccfc

It's packed today.

pusbccfc

If it were near the ground chances are business would be largely constricted to match days. They already got the bar at the brewery.

Given how decentralised work is now there's probably not any one place that would be great for it but city centre would be the best choice. But that exact location is terrible and not really useful for anyone. If they wanted a central location they should have made it central. May have been a cost issue but maybe they also wanted it to be a bit out of the way just in case there was any trouble.

The place is being knocked down in a few years apparently. I bet they've got it on the cheap.

wingy

TBF the old ROAB club model may have worked with a spruce up .
I think it was fairly well used by the original members, local community then very well attended around match day and evening's, already had a sky blue Vibe and paraphernalia , I'd say attended by around 300 per match .
How many utilise the current site?

hill83

Went there today for the F1. Me and 3 mates.
Totally empty including the football after. Saw two other people in five hours. Can’t see how it can survive. Massive shame.

Londonccfcfan

Totally empty including the football after. Saw two other people in five hours. Can’t see how it can survive. Massive shame.

Show of solidarity required. Ive not been there yet. I'm sure theres 100s more fans not been.

hill83

Only way I can see it carrying on is if the football club pump money in. Because it’s not a good look if it closes within a year. Unless I’m completely wrong and it’s busy and I’m not aware of it.

David O'Day

Only way I can see it carrying on is if the football club pump money in. Because it’s not a good look if it closes within a year. Unless I’m completely wrong and it’s busy and I’m not aware of it.

It's not

Marty

Was absolutely rammed on Thursday night, It was so busy we fucked it off and went the aardvark for a couple.

NorthernWisdom

I'll admit it's a fair few years since I've done daytime drinking, but back in the days when I was a hardened regular, I used to go in a fair few pubs that were near empty during the day, and they kept going because the had a night or two where you couldn't move. Surely the important thing is if it has *any* busy times, and if those busy times are enough to pay the bills?

hill83

I'll admit it's a fair few years since I've done daytime drinking, but back in the days when I was a hardened regular, I used to go in a fair few pubs that were near empty during the day, and they kept going because the had a night or two where you couldn't move. Surely the important thing is if it has *any* busy times, and if those busy times are enough to pay the bills?

Fair point. I prefer a day beer myself. Maybe it will fill up a bit tonight? And as you say maybe they run on Friday and Saturday night and the odd event during the week.

matesx

Was it ever going to work really? It was always a risky venture, I think most people could see that.

It's a big ol venue over 2 floors in completely the wrong location across the road from an established student boozer.

I've been in and quite enjoyed it but I made a decent detour from my usual trek to give it a look. Once was enough I'm afraid.

Shame if it goes and I do feel for the owners and staff if if does.

theferret

It doesn't have to be busy all the time to make money. I've spoke to people who have been there when it's been very busy.

I've booked the upstairs room for a family event next year and the calendar was quite full when trying to book. Knowing some of the ale heads invited to that we'll be putting 5K beind the bar!

pusbccfc

It doesn't have to be busy all the time to make money. I've spoke to people who have been there when it's been very busy.

I've booked the upstairs room for a family event next year and the calendar was quite full when trying to book. Knowing some of the ale heads invited to that we'll be putting 5K beind the bar!

This.

They've had Christmas parties from loads of university groups all week.

It was apparently packed yesterday for the Huddersfield game.

Also, I wonder if the Colly is going go bust because it's empty 5 nights a week? Places like this survive of big events rather than sustained daily customers.

pusbccfc

Was it ever going to work really? It was always a risky venture, I think most people could see that.

It's a big ol venue over 2 floors in completely the wrong location across the road from an established student boozer.

I've been in and quite enjoyed it but I made a decent detour from my usual trek to give it a look. Once was enough I'm afraid.

Shame if it goes and I do feel for the owners and staff if if does.

Who says it's not working though?

It's been busy every Saturday matchday I've been. It will survive off that and other events.

The club will use it for Christmas parties etc post-covid.

Users who are viewing this thread